Official GC Controller Adapter Announced

Go down

Official GC Controller Adapter Announced Empty Official GC Controller Adapter Announced

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu May 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Oh, and the players for the Smash Bros tournament, as well as the setup and rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw&feature=youtu.be

I'm not really into the competitive Smash scene, although I hear they're some solid choices. Some of the better known ones we likely excluded simply because their appearance and mentality doesn't really fit Nintendo (ie. the kind of guys that take it WAY too seriously). That said, it seems like these players are just going to play for fun, which I agree they should, rather than going too hard into it.

Interesting roster lineup. A lot of people think the fact that Peach isn't playable means Toad will be in, and Ninty doesn't want people to know (since her B would get replaced). Not too sure about that, considering 3 Mario characters are already playable in the demo, they likely wanted to diversify.

The fact that Battlefield is the finals stage is cool, considering the "For Glory" mode implying that Final Destination was all hardcore players played on. More stages being revealed during the tournament is cool.

But most importantly, of course, we have the GC controller adapter. DP brought up the point that they're kind of abandoning the fightstick with this, which isn't really wrong. However, I feel that the addition is going to generate a fairly good amount of profit, as well as (already observable) praise from the majority of players. Hey, more options is always good! I think I might buy one if I have some money lying around.
Piratemankelly
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Back to top Go down

Official GC Controller Adapter Announced Empty Re: Official GC Controller Adapter Announced

Post by 0CTAVE on Thu May 29, 2014 8:59 pm

That's actually pretty cool!
0CTAVE
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

https://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Official GC Controller Adapter Announced Empty Re: Official GC Controller Adapter Announced

Post by DP on Thu May 29, 2014 11:24 pm

IIRC they already showed off Peach's Toad block.

And the GC controller spells the death of the GamePad, not just the fightpad. There's now a large population of players that will flock to the GC controllers, which makes the GamePad, ProPad, FightPad, WiiMote, WiiWheel, WiiMote+Nunchuk combo, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, and any other that I forgot, pretty much obsolete. Some people may see the first of thode as a good thing to drop anyway, but like dropping Kinect, it spells the death of the peripheral overall too, not just as a mandatory feature.

Plus now Nintendo has to complete emulation of GC games ASAP for the twenty fans of the GameCube because they showed weakness on their stance of "no GC controller, just get a ProPad," which bumps back SNES, GB/A and 3/DS compatiblity even more.

I've been more than happy with every decision they've made since January, even the MK8 Mercedes marketing stint. But the integration of GC controllers just lost them a LOT of money in the long run, unless they somehow stick to their guns on the GamePad - which going by their track record, they won't. I font see how the decision can turn out well for them fiscally. The GC isn't exactly the best choice of a console to strive for, considering it was the worst-performing of the major Nintendo consoles.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri May 30, 2014 12:01 am

But it does have its nostalgists. Yeah, it certainly didn't do quite as well as the Wii or anything, but "20 people?" Even for a hyperbole that's a bit low.

But even still, you do have a point. It seems like a good idea because a lot of people, especially Smash players, loved the feel of the GC controller. While I love my GamePad dearly, just the feel of a good old fashioned controller is welcome. I'm all for promoting peripherals and whatnot, but having the GamePad or the Wiimotes as the primary gameplay medium is the same as having Kinect or that one thing that Sony tried to copy the Wiimote with as a primary gameplay medium.

Well, with the exception that the GamePad is fantastic. And after saying that, I can't deny that giving players the option of disregarding it with a much more favorable and traditional approach is likely to stifle innovation a bit. But to many, the innovation is simply an unfortunately unwanted gimmick. Not quite in Kinect territory, but it's up there.

Of course, the Pro Controller is /was there as the alternative, but the GC controller is viewed with pretty rose colored glasses, which is why it'll sell way more than the Pro Controller will overall.

As for pushing some GC classic on Virtual Console, so long as they stick with the big ones like Melee, Sunshine, etc, they're golden. Let's be honest, those should have always had higher priority than "Wario Land 4" and "Excite Bike."

Making a GC adapter is something Nintendo's doing for no more reason than to make people happy. At this point, it seems like trying to win over new people, regardless of what they do, seems dismal, so giving the fans what they want is a pretty good idea. (Speaking of which, JUST GIVE US RIDLEY AND MEWTWO ALREADY!)

I'll admit, in the long run, it might not be as positive as the initial reaction makes it look like, but it certainly won't be such a disaster as you make it out to be, imo. But it is, perhaps, quite desperate at the core of it.
Piratemankelly
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 30, 2014 12:21 am

The Wii is the only console that actually relied on the gimmick to sell consoles; had Sony made the Move the entirety of the PS3, for some reason, there'd be no problem with it, shameless copying notwithstanding. But that's not exactly the subject and I'm not quite sure how it really relates since the GamePad IS a real controller.

As for the GC outselling the ProPad, well, that's doubtful. There are only so many real GC controllers out there, and all Nintendo is doing is making an adapter for the 20 million GC fans, and from the look of it maybe a limited edition set of new GC controllers just for Smash (pls no more springloaded bumper crap). Those could be just for E3 though. This decision pretty much forces any serious player back to the aging GC design, and keeps Smash anchored in the past. That in itself could turn off more people than it draws in.

Even the implementation of this is sloppy. They could've just made wireless GC controllers that connect directly, instead of using all of the USB ports just for an adapter for the Wii U (making an External unusable for the Wii U and thus nullifying the possibility of actually buying Smash digitally nevermind there are two in the back - the point remains though). The ability to plug in old controllers is nice for the few thousand people who have GC controllers in better-than-terrible condition, but those people are a small minority of what Nintendo SHOULD be going after.

And if Melee were EVER made digital, no matter how good Smash U is, the nostalgists would demand multiplayer with such ferocity that Rainfall raised to the power of the Dart Movement couldn't even come close to matching it. Which means we'd have to wait years for a Melee HD update rerelease that would effectively end the Smash franchise, since nobody would care about future gamws after a few weeks because omgmelee. And I wish I was exaggerating.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri May 30, 2014 10:22 pm

why so sour about it dp? its just another option that you dont have to use
i personally greatly enjoy the GC controller i like the way the buttons are circled around A
i would also love to see some gamecube VC titles as well games like Paper Mario 2 were some of my favorites
dragonfire111
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri May 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Nintendo showed weakness, that's my problem here. They went against their desires and (if the GC controllers are playable on more than a few games) just fucked the GamePad and by extension most of the Wii U's profit margin. There's a reason it's $300 with the GamePad, and ifs not because the GamePad is the console's must-have feature. It's because a $200 GamePadless U cant come remotely close to profit, even if the software purchases per console go up by several per year per person. And now that they've backed off of a previous guarantee of "no GC controllers," they can easily be cornered into removing the GamePad as well. And, like I said, it anchors Smash into the past, something this iteration had done a good job of avoiding until now.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat May 31, 2014 5:25 pm

I agree with DP.
BigBox
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Sort of like a Kinect scenario, where something necessary is proven to only be simply a possibility, and if a possibility has a high price tag on it, then if possible people will want to opt out from using it/paying for it, therefore killing the stride for change.

That being said, i'd do a back flip (ya, as if) if the WiiU went down in price. I want me some super smash bros on le big screen.
Chaosdreams
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I agree with DP.
I don't think I've ever seen you agree with anyone on this forum, let alone DP.
Piratemankelly
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Piratemankelly wrote:
Anaconda_Vice wrote:I agree with DP.
I don't think I've ever seen you agree with anyone on this forum, let alone DP.
its something against nintendo of course hed agree
dragonfire111
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Like I said, the problem isn't that the GamePad is necessary, it's that the clickbait "Nintendo is dying" articles would grow tenfold without the GamePad - because we'd be seeing MUCH greater losses. I'd love a cheaper Wii U (I wouldn't buy one for more than $250 without a good bundle, and I did buy mine for only $220), but bundles are the only way we'll see good deals with it unless Nintendo forgoes money. They can't justify more than $199 for a GamePadless U; that's two games that every Wii U owner would need to buy.

And let's simmer down on the side topic.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down