Developer Commentary: On switching engines

Go down

Developer Commentary: On switching engines Empty Developer Commentary: On switching engines

Post by DP on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 pm

So that angry birds school pep rally game I mentioned a while back is almost done. It goes up for show Tuesday. And there is a LOT of stuff from it that I love. The code from my friend's game, which I used as a code base because it had preliminary fighting mechanics, was utter shit; I knew this going in. This new codebase is streamlined, more complex, easier to create maps with, and all around better. Even hitboxes, which have been a mess to jury rig on the current build, are simpler and down to a T. I'm strongly having the urge to jump ship.

Before you get worried, I'd literally be copying the code I've done into the new base (running off of the same physics engine as the current one, for the record) and tweaking it to fit. It would be no more than a few hours' work on me, and it makes everything simpler in the long run.

However, I've got a weekend of work ahead of me on that game, where I can delve into the code and see if this is something I should actually do. I might just copy and paste some classes over from that to Axis, or vice versa. I'm not sure yet. All I know is that implementing character sprites and tweaking animation frames - some of the most menial work, so boring that I have to force myself to get it done - would be a cinch then.

I'll keep you guys updated and give an answer on Tuesday.

Also let me know how you like these Developer Commentaries. I'm thinking of making them a common thing.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Developer Commentary: On switching engines Empty Re: Developer Commentary: On switching engines

Post by Count Mario on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 pm

It's cool.
Count Mario
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

Back to top Go down

Developer Commentary: On switching engines Empty Re: Developer Commentary: On switching engines

Post by this_is_marko on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:06 am

I really like getting these updates.  I love when game designers are so open about what's going on
this_is_marko
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:44 am

Good to know that people like it so far. Obviously I wouldn't be doing it every other day but I'd do it fairly often based on what I'm currently doing or thinking about.
DP
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Neß on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:35 pm

For a second I thought this had to do with using the Smash system instead of the PS All Stars system. 
This is why I'm not a game designer.
Neß
Neß
Death To All
Death To All

PSN : PSIHeroNess (I never actually play online though.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down