Is Call of Duty finally dying out...?

Go down

Is Call of Duty finally dying out...?

Post by AserrisPatronus on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

So of course, today was the release of Black Ops 2 (Not buying that PoS)

I was expecting to hear about it & see ads for it everywhere like the cancer it is. However, when I got home today...to my surprise I only saw 3 out of 11 people online playing it on my friends list.
A friend also reported that on his friend's list only 1 person was playing it, & it was someone from my friends list too. & his is filled with avid Call of Duty fans.

I also googled the damn game just to see any articles about its release as well as any day 1 statistics. There were VERY few recent articles in the results (not even a single one on the google news front page either)

I also saw there was nobody talking about it here either. & look at this poll: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=4902

Let us debate about this! Is CoD finally dying?
also I forgot to mention I heard very few people talking about it at
AserrisPatronus
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : Silentphoenix199

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Call of Duty finally dying out...?

Post by Trey-Caige II on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

I've always thought CoD was overrated. Not bad, just overrated. Definitely not for me. Anyway, to your discussion, I think so. Activision has a horrible habit doing this with their games. First it was Tony Hawk, then Guitar Hero, now it's CoD (I'd say James Bond and the Marvel games as well, but those don't have yearly releases, at least to my knowledge). They don't understand that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Hopefully, this is a sign that we may see a break in the CoD series for a bit, and when they do return, they'll give us something new and exciting. It really needs it, before they end up crashing and burning another series.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Only reason for me buying CoD games: Zombies. Other than that, yeah. CoD feels like it's dying out as I find less and less people interested with every new game, but I will say that BO2 is a nice change of pace from the other games.

Treyarch might as well just go ahead and make a full zombies game as that seems to be one of the only things attracting anyone to it at this point...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Pyro-Hem wrote:Only reason for me buying CoD games: Zombies. Other than that, yeah. CoD feels like it's dying out as I find less and less people interested with every new game, but I will say that BO2 is a nice change of pace from the other games.

Treyarch might as well just go ahead and make a full zombies game as that seems to be one of the only things attracting anyone to it at this point...

THISSSSSS. Even though I never actually bought it, going over to my friend's houses to play World At War Nazi Zombies was a blast. Maybe make a post apocalyptic zombie game? Cliched? Yes, but, It'd still be blast I think, especially with Treyarch at the helm.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 pm

I've been predicting that Black Ops II would be the end of the series' golden years for a good year or so now. MW3 was very controversial to casual and hardcore fans alike, which came after BOI, which was just as controversial if not more so. Not to mention the amount of sales increase from BOI to MW3 was not nearly as much as it should've been had CoD been as growing in popularity as people would have us believe. I've been saying that BOII would be where it officially plateaus out, and from there it's just like Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, et al.: It slowly but surely dies. If Activision doesn't use a new engine for the first next-gen game, then I'm guaranteeing it'll die twice as fast as it should've already.

The realistic shooter market is finally becoming oversaturated to even the casual fans, and that's simply why CoD's dying out. There are too many fun alternatives that a yearly CoD isn't worth it anymore to many people. It'll still be this year's highest selling game by a mile, but that doesn't mean it's still successful by CoD standards.

Ironically, this is the CoD that did exactly what the series needed to do. It changed. (More ironically, the best CoD in years comes out the same year as the worst Halo, and this is the same year CoD became Halo and Halo became CoD, if you're willing to generalize).
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 pm

DP27 wrote:I've been predicting that Black Ops II would be the end of the series' golden years for a good year or so now. MW3 was very controversial to casual and hardcore fans alike, which came after BOI, which was just as controversial if not more so. Not to mention the amount of sales increase from BOI to MW3 was not nearly as much as it should've been had CoD been as growing in popularity as people would have us believe. I've been saying that BOII would be where it officially plateaus out, and from there it's just like Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, et al.: It slowly but surely dies. If Activision doesn't use a new engine for the first next-gen game, then I'm guaranteeing it'll die twice as fast as it should've already.

The realistic shooter market is finally becoming oversaturated to even the casual fans, and that's simply why CoD's dying out. There are too many fun alternatives that a yearly CoD isn't worth it anymore to many people. It'll still be this year's highest selling game by a mile, but that doesn't mean it's still successful by CoD standards.

Ironically, this is the CoD that did exactly what the series needed to do. It changed. (More ironically, the best CoD in years comes out the same year as the worst Halo, and this is the same year CoD became Halo and Halo became CoD, if you're willing to generalize).

Dat irony. Lol. The worst Halo? I agree with it being handled by a new studio that I'm weary, but I've heard the single player got a lot better. And this is coming from someone who's despised H4's existence from the beginning. What makes you say it's the worst though? Just curious.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down