Grand Theft Auto V

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by DP on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:56 pm

17 million. That's how many copies were sold week one. For reference, CoD rarely sells above 12 million per console. For more reference, that is by far the biggest media launch ever. Not that that's a shocker to anyone.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 pm

So, how about that online mode?
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:40 am

I still have no internet :(
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 am

The online is still suffering from everybody hitting it so hard yesterday so you aren't missing much right now.

I was able to create my character but never got to start the first mission lol the servers kept kicking me. hopefully it will get better soon
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:07 am

Yeah gtao is having more issues than rockstar predicted.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 am

With 20 million people stressing the servers constantly I can believe that lol.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 pm

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah they definitely paid Sony/MS off to get patches out at any time they wanted to. Great idea since this is probably gonna have daily patches at some point in the next month. From what I've heard though, 1.02 has fixed any issues with getting in. Servers aren't saving characters perfectly consistently (probably 85% are saved perfectly), though, so be careful.

I give it until Friday and by then it's most definitely gonna be at 100% quality (for an MMO type game, which is like 70% for most regular multiplayers). They're working really well on fixing these issues, which makes me believe theyre all from the insane sales overloading the servers.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

16 million units in a week is a hefty number.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Especially when the game single handedly brought the UK out of a sales slump that has lasted since 2008.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/432210/gta-v-pulls-uk-out-of-four-year-sales-decline/
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Yeah lol
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 am

The times I have played the multiplayer.. it is fun as hell! I can understand the problems it is having because the multiplayer is ginormous. really my only complaint and hope in getting fixed soon, is the matchmaking for the jobs. Getting into a world works fairly fine for me but when getting a job from different characters or just randomly starting one myself, it should be easier to find people to join but right now, it has some troubles. 

Crooked cops (capture the flag, open world style) so far is my favorite job out of them all lol the amount of chaos that happens around the bag of drugs is INSANE
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 pm

Hey everyone,

So I've only played the game for a little bit (online likes to pick on me, my character went poof this morning. It might be fixed now though.)

Anyways, my friend made a clan, I joined it sort of deal. If any of you want to have fun (get more rp this way) then feel free to join.

Hopefully i'll see a few familiar names!

Some of you have been inviting me to join up with you (and I usually don't decline) but online's been wonky, so I apologize!

--

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/the_amateur_hour
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Holy shit, some people are overexaggerating the Online issues. I've heard legitimate bitching that it's worse than SimCity. Really? I don't recall EA patching the fame three times in two weeks and warning fans about possible causes to issues.

Rockstar, although theyve had problems (due to being within a month of being the highest selling game ever), have been on the ball in a way I've honestly never seen before. They've explained every known flaw and how to avoud charaster loss, AND how to make sure a lost character is not actually deleted (don't overwrite any "lost" file slots, or you'll lose it for good). They've patched the game twice to make it work for everyone almost unanimously, and fixed several other issues simultaneously. The only thing left is really some graphical fuckups and maybe some RP balancing for game modes.

I'm not saying the launch was good, because it wasn't; I'm saying that not only was it understandable, it was expected (they friggin' WARNED us. TWICE.) and their fixes have been some of the most prompt I've ever seen.

I hate the internet sometimes.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 pm

whats inexcusable IMO is how it didn't go through beta stages the way something this big should. they way it plays and the issues it has are comparable to an alpha. if they knew this would happen they shouldn't have released it, it would have been the lesser of two evils.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

It DID have a beta. It worked perfectly in every way, acaccording to several sources, including a personal friend of mine. ALL of the problems are server-side, because they've been overloaded beyond belief for days. I think fucking Amazon could've crumpled with 20 million people hitting simultaneously.

A beta test normally doesn't include 20 million people simultaneously, so even if they opened it up at any point, they would've still had at least double the people playing day one of online. (Not to mention an open beta for this game would've been literally 16 gigs because the whole of the game is needed for it to work.)

So yeah, the whole Alpha thing is pretty much bullshit. Not working day one was expected. Hell, I didnt expect it to work for a week.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 pm

DP wrote:It DID have a beta. It worked perfectly in every way, acaccording to several sources, including a personal friend of mine. ALL of the problems are server-side, because they've been overloaded beyond belief for days. I think fucking Amazon could've crumpled with 20 million people hitting simultaneously.

A beta test normally doesn't include 20 million people simultaneously, so even if they opened it up at any point, they would've still had at least double the people playing day one of online. (Not to mention an open beta for this game would've been literally 16 gigs because the whole of the game is needed for it to work.)

So yeah, the whole Alpha thing is pretty much bullshit. Not working day one was expected. Hell, I didnt expect it to work for a week.
It's a great game, however the server issues are a mess. They had additional time to work on the online portion after the games release, which in itself seemed fine since the story mode is large. However, they addressed the issue of characters being deleted and "how to" avoid said issue, days after a large sum of people already fell upon said unfortunate trap. I myself lost my character, however I simply raged and shut it all down. If i had been in a different frame of mind, I would have started a new character with small hopes that it was simply another form of glitch. With some patience and luck with the server, my character is back "for now."

There's also issues with the money in the bank just disappearing and other issues. It's an online game but it feels like nothing is truly "ready." It's basically a test run, but with fingers crossed we get lucky enough it won't all be reset, like, a beta.

Their communication in itself is subpar, they speak, but what's given as advice is bare bones. On the bright side they are working on the issue, the negative? I'd expect more from them. That's the main problem I suppose, expectations.

Overall, a great game that I have no complaints over, I'm simply just raising my hands in the air and saying "Let me play Rockstar, come on."
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 am

If it had only exceeded sales expectations by 20% instead of 100, this wouldn't have been a problem. That's my point. Not to mention the "extra time" was used for the beta, because as I said there was no way for the beta to launch before the game came out due to the size of the game. The fact that they even figured out the issue within a day is surprising to me because I expected the to brush over that and say "yeah we said there'd be problems in the first month." Even acknowledging the problem is more than most devs do.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:17 am

Putting out an unexpected patch within the first 2 days is pretty amazing for any dev.. we can't deny that. There were a lot more problems then anticipated but Rockstar was able to fix a good handful of them. Look at games like Assassins creed, any Bethesda game, Borderlands, etc. Many games launch with plenty of problems but never do they send out patches until a week or 2 after launch...
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 am

I'm definitely not saying the problems are acceptable; that's not the ccase even if they can be excusable due to insanely high sales (imagine if Online launched day one!). But Rockstar's instant reaction has been some of the best crisis aversion we have ever seen, which definitely makes this one MUCH less an evil than SimCity.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:11 am

DP wrote:I'm definitely not saying the problems are acceptable; that's not the ccase even if they can be excusable due to insanely high sales (imagine if Online launched day one!). But Rockstar's instant reaction has been some of the best crisis aversion we have ever seen, which definitely makes this one MUCH less an evil than SimCity.
Agreed, it's a shame there are problems but at least it's playable and they are acting rather than throwing the money in the air and then swimming in it. Well, they might be swimming in money, but they are still fixing the problems for their gamers which ultimately counts. For those that do end up losing their character for what appears to be permanently (like my friend) then I can see them being angry through the soul fact of having to start over (it's not as fun the second time around.)
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:43 am

I'm sure some will be salty about it; personally I'll probably end up making two or three characters quickly anyway so it's not like I'd care too, too much about losing my first. That's me though
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 am

I haven't bothered with online because of all the things I've heard with it, so i was waiting for it all to smooth out, so to speak. I'll join ya'lls clan once I get on though.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 pm

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:04 am

Was it confirmed at that? From what I'd heard it outsold IV, which is in retail at 25mil. They might've just meant in the UK though, which would make sense in retrospect.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top