Buying a Playstation!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buying a Playstation!

Post by Corkscrew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 am

Hey guys, I have been playing PASBR on a friend's PS3 that he loaned me. I was a huge Sony guy back in the PS1&2 era, but I shifted to 360 due to pressure from peers who had the console. I don't regret having the Xbox, and I am certainly not ashamed of it. It is what sparked my interest in PC gaming. Anyways, I digress. After playing some of the amazing exclusive games on the PS3 (PASBR being one of them) I have decided to purchase my own!

I am looking for a model of the playstation 3 that is backwards compatible. That is my number one priority (aside from the thing being functional). I was just wondering if there is a specific model that I should look for, and where I should get it. I figured this would be a good place to ask for opinions, facts, etc.

Note: I didn't Google it because I'm trying to integrate myself into the forum by familiarizing myself with the community. I do know what Google is, it is my bestest friend.
Corkscrew
New Challenger
New Challenger

PSN : greedyjuice

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Buying a Playstation!

Post by papertoonz on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 am

sorry bro they dont make models that are backwards compatible with PS2 games that was dropped a long time ago to reduce the price and it would be hard to find one them models due it being the first and second gen of the PS3s. I'ld say to go for a slim before they are all gone and go for the one to suit you download needs. If you like to download lots of games go for the biger hard drive, if you not big on downloads go for the smaller one at the cheaper price.
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quackerzacher on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 am

yea at this point it might be cheaper to get a second hand ps3 and ps2 then to track doen one of the older models but bottom line if you want it look for the oldest model usually they are 20 40 or 60 GB
quackerzacher
Trainer
Trainer

PSN : quackerzacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jechtsphere on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 am

You won't find a new one that has BC. It was taken out years ago. Why? Depends who you ask...cutting costs when it was 500-600 or if your into conspiracy theories it's because they want people to buy the HD Collections. If you want to try to find one used then the 60 gig model would be the one although i'm sure the price would be huge as it's rare now.
Jechtsphere
Staff
Staff

PSN : Jechtsphere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Illuvial on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:10 am

The PS3 models today are not PS2 game compatible, only PS1 game compatible. But even THAT backwards compatibility sucks, because you can't save your game files at all.

I am having the same issue though, I need to buy a PS3 as well. Because my friends are sick of my mooching. Laughing
Illuvial
You Gotta Believe!
You Gotta Believe!

PSN : Illuvial

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corkscrew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:34 am

I absolutely need BC to play my stack of PS1&2 games, and I am too short on space to have multiple playstations. I have no issue with used merchandise, as long as it is in decent condition. So PS3 60 gb it is.
I will look into my local classifieds tomorrow. Thanks for your input, guys! Any other advice or opinions are welcome as well!
Corkscrew
New Challenger
New Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quackerzacher on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:55 am

if you can you should get any ps3 ignore the hard drive size because if you want to you can have a larger hard drive installed pretty easily if you are willing to pay a little more of course
quackerzacher
Trainer
Trainer

PSN : quackerzacher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am

listen how hard is it to keep a PS2 around but if need one yes 60gis is the best one to go for because it's the only mobel that hade 60gigs i still cant see why you cant keep a PS2 around it's not that hard
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Corkscrew on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 pm

papertoonz wrote:listen how hard is it to keep a PS2 around but if need one yes 60gis is the best one to go for because it's the only mobel that hade 60gigs i still cant see why you cant keep a PS2 around it's not that hard

I never said it was hard, I said that I have very little space. My apartment is really small, and not only that but I don't trust my roommate as far as I can throw him. That means I keep all my belongings in my room, and as much as I live for gaming I already have an N64, SNES, Sega Genesis, Xbox 360, and a mid range gaming PC. That is only my console collection, too. 

It's not that I can't fit two playstations in my room, it's more that I prefer to use what space I have as efficiently as possible. That way the space that the PS2 would take up could be used to increase my videogame or anime collection. When I move into a place of my own with plenty of storage I will buy a PS2, but at this point in time it is simply not gonna happen. 
Corkscrew
New Challenger
New Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Trey-Caige II on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 pm

The only thing I can recommend is buying a PS2 :/ If I were you, I'd just wait til you get your own place and get a PS2. Or if you happen to come across a 2006/2007 model PS3 at a pawn shop I'd pick one of those up. There is actually one at my Pawn Shop for only $140-150 which isn't too bad.
Trey-Caige II
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : Trey-Caige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jechtsphere on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:32 pm

I like having all my games playable on one system. Most of my old games are HD collections or will be. Still need Star Ocean 3 and Blood Omen 2 :(

I hate having more than one system connected.
Jechtsphere
Staff
Staff

PSN : Jechtsphere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helvetica Standard on Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:58 pm

The current PS3's are backwards compatible only with PS1 titles btw.

You need the Gen1 or 2 PS3's to get backwards compatibility, but at this point it's hard to get one, and if you get it, it's expensive to fix it. I also own a small game console collection (from the Atari 2600 to the PS2), but the PS2 Slim is very slim, almost the size of a DVD box (I have the fat btw and my dreamcast is above him to reduce space) and it has the power supply inside the console, so the space is reduced by a whole lot.

I think that's better to get a new PS3 slim and a PS2 slim, both consoles together are smaller than a single PS3 fat.
Helvetica Standard
Staff
Staff

PSN : HelveticaStd

View user profile http://helvetica-standard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Helvetica Standard wrote:The current PS3's are backwards compatible only with PS1 titles btw.

lolwhy

I'd get a slim unless you simply don't have a PS2 anymore. 60gigs also isn't a whole lot anymore, unless you don't plan on buying retail at all or are confident with changing the hard drive yourself.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top