Art : Would like feedback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Art : Would like feedback

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:40 am

Hey guys, I got a graphics tablet today at long last and have been working on practicing for an hour or so. The first hour is always tricky eh? Anywho, could I get some feedback on a sketch I did?

I know it's not going to be a masterpiece. Come on, it was 15-20 mins work lmao. But I'd like some feedback specifically on the pen-manship of the sketch. And perhaps some hints and tips to better drawing?

Would appreciate any feedback guys!
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : KingTetiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Art : Would like feedback

Post by MrEpic on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am

I like the body, its fine, the head seems a little misplaced, but not bad just for a sketch!
MrEpic
PACL Champion
PACL Champion

PSN : MrEpic1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:46 am

MrEpic wrote:I like the body, its fine, the head seems a little misplaced, but not bad just for a sketch!

Haha it'll take me time to get used to the tablet. What about the head seems misplaced?
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 am

I like it good sketch of raiden.........

jk I know its sir Dan. Better than I could attempt
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrEpic on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 pm

It just seems so misfigured throigh my eyes, right shape in all, just seems a bit bumpy..
MrEpic
PACL Champion
PACL Champion

PSN : MrEpic1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xVincore on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm

The head seems slightly lower, also adding detail with shading always helps!
What type of Tablet are you using?
xVincore
Tingle
Tingle

PSN : xVincore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm

xVincore wrote:The head seems slightly lower, also adding detail with shading always helps!

Wacom Bamboo Pen and Tablet. It's pretty good actually. I'm more focusing about the pen-manship. Shading will come later!
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xVincore on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:53 pm

King_Tetiro wrote:
xVincore wrote:The head seems slightly lower, also adding detail with shading always helps!

Wacom Bamboo Pen and Tablet. It's pretty good actually. I'm more focusing about the pen-manship. Shading will come later!

That's a great tablet, and as for the Pen-manship; I understand, maybe just define features more then?

Also, The head is given many different variations. Some with his eye sockets jutting out more clearly, others with a slight ridge on his forehead. In that case, stay with your preferred style and define the skull features in particular.
The armor looks great though!
xVincore
Tingle
Tingle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 pm

xVincore wrote:
King_Tetiro wrote:

That's a great tablet, and as for the Pen-manship; I understand, maybe just define features more then?

Also, The head is given many different variations. Some with his eye sockets jutting out more clearly, others with a slight ridge on his forehead. In that case, stay with your preferred style and define the skull features in particular.

So add more detail is that what you're saying?

And thanks! I did a combined form of the Medievil and Resurrection. That way it's the best of both!
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xVincore on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 pm

King_Tetiro wrote:
xVincore wrote:
King_Tetiro wrote:

So add more detail is that what you're saying?

And thanks! I did a combined form of the Medievil and Resurrection. That way it's the best of both!

Any type of detail, it helps show your creativity more thoroughly!
Good luck! YAY
xVincore
Tingle
Tingle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:58 pm

I think if you want some really serious feedback, you should make a more serious attempt at art. I'm not trying to be mean, but you gave us a little sketch you yourself said was done in just a few minutes. How is anyone supposed to gauge the quality of that or your skills?

If I must say anything about the picture, it looks like it was done with a mouse in Microsoft paint.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Well I'm taking small steps. Digital drawing is completely new to me. So I'm starting with the bog standard sketch. Once I'm confident, I'll move onto coloured sketches. Then shading. And so on.

Don't worry! If my paper drawings are anything to come by, you'll be seeing much better art
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 pm

Digital drawing is tricky at first, but I'd be lying if I said that's good "art". I know who it is, so that much is established, but if you want criticism then I'll naturally say you need to try and have a more steady hand. Play around with the brushes you use, stuff like that. You'll get there.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Chaosdreams wrote:Digital drawing is tricky at first, but I'd be lying if I said that's good "art". I know who it is, so that much is established, but if you want criticism then I'll naturally say you need to try and have a more steady hand. Play around with the brushes you use, stuff like that. You'll get there.

Any ideas how to steady a hand when drawing?
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:24 am

I don't claim to know everything or anything, but coming from a similar position where I picked up a drawing tablet just a few months ago and always being used to art on paper I can lend you some advice. Firstly, I don't know anything about keeping your hand steady. I never thought about it, but just take your time drawing stuff. Go slow, there's really no need to rush.

Firstly, what program are you using? Please tell me it's not paint. There's a multitude of programs out there great for art and tablets. I use Photoshop CS6. I know, that's really expensive- but without saying much more there's always a way to acquire this and other programs without nuking your wallet. There's Gimp and I've heard Paint.net is good, but personally I swear by photoshop.

Secondly you want to experiment with brush sizes and set pen sensitivity to your liking. My tablet was initially too touchy, so I altered it so I have to really force my pen if I want thicker lines (with brushes that allow thinnesss and thickness, as not all of them do) because that's how I like it. Playing around with these settings is fundamental.

Well I'm taking small steps. Digital drawing is completely new to me. So I'm starting with the bog standard sketch. Once I'm confident, I'll move onto coloured sketches. Then shading. And so on.

Don't worry! If my paper drawings are anything to come by, you'll be seeing much better art

Every artist has his or her own personal pace, so this is nothing more than my own opinion- but don't take small steps. When you're getting used to a tablet, simply draw as you would on paper, experimenting with the tools digital drawing bestows on you. You'll naturally get better and you'll naturally find that you should be using a certain amount of layers for certain tasks. The only real thing to get used to with a tablet, imo, is looking at a screen while drawing and getting accustomed to sensitivity and pressure.

And the way I learned digital drawing is somewhat different. I took drawings I did on paper, scanned them, and colored those. That's a great way of learning to use a tablet and a program. If you can scan stuff, I really encourage this. You'll worry less about getting the actual drawing right and you'll improve your tablet skills tenfold inking and coloring your paper art. Here's an example of what I did a few months ago with scanning art and coloring digitally, this being one of my earlier digital pieces (linked because huge and unsure how to do spoilers):

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

Even in these there are noticeable flaws in line quality. I blame it partly because I did this with a mouse before I had a tablet but the principle of finishing up your existing paper work still applies. But hey, nobody has a perfectly steady hand.

Finally, the only other bits of advice I can give: don't think of it as practice. Just do it when you want to draw something. That's more fun and seems like less of a chore. And please, please, take your time. 15-20 minutes will almost never yield you anything decent (and if it does, kudos, but unlikely) So please take your time. I spend hours on my stuff- not because I HAVE to take my time, but because that's simply how long I work until I feel satisfied and my vision is accurately portrayed on screen or on paper. I remember counting the number of hours the above piece took, and this was just to color and ink it digitally- about 5 hours?

Hope I don't seem preachy, elitist, bragful, or any of those things. Just my thoughts from one artist to another. I could be way off the mark here. It's been a long day, y'know?

Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 am

King_Tetiro wrote:
Chaosdreams wrote:Digital drawing is tricky at first, but I'd be lying if I said that's good "art". I know who it is, so that much is established, but if you want criticism then I'll naturally say you need to try and have a more steady hand. Play around with the brushes you use, stuff like that. You'll get there.

Any ideas how to steady a hand when drawing?

I took another look at your image, and to me it seems quite pix-elated. What I'd do is play around with your brush settings. I know there's a few that work very well when doing digital art (through photoshop), though I can't remember the details (been a long time since I've done anything like that.) It's brush settings as well as the brush type you use. That'll make it look smoother.

As for a steady hand, go at a pace that suits you. It's digital art after all, erasing is a breeze. You want it so that the harder you press down (not to hard) the thicker the line will be (i think that's how it works.) So it's almost as if you are sketching. Once you become good, you can prob just have it at a consistent thickness.

This is vague I know, I'd have to take a look at it myself. But I know that from what you've shown, there's something that's limiting you (setting wise) and not so much skill wise. Beyond that, it's the getting used to aspect (and ya, takes time.)
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 am

Ok so maybe I should look at new drawing software?
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theo_mm on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Looks nice, not the best, but I like the style. I also have a wacom bamboo xD What program do you use? because the pencil/brush setting isn't good, and I can tell the program isn't making use of the pen pressure feature!
theo_mm
KONG
KONG

PSN : theomm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helvetica Standard on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Try getting Sketchbook, the Copic edition is free for use in exchange for limited options and colors, but that software alone uses a lot of the functions of your tablet. You can get it from the Autodesk site. Or just google "Sketchbook Copic Edition".

I own a Bamboo, but I use it more for retouching photographs and 3D modeling in ZBrush. =P

EDIT:
I just remembered that there is another free edition of Sketchbook, just google "Sketchbook express", the only difference is that you have more variety in the colors, but I can't remember very well. :/
Helvetica Standard
Staff
Staff

PSN : HelveticaStd

View user profile http://helvetica-standard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top