General Comics and Related media discussion.

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Comics and Related media discussion.

Post by Count Mario on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Leaked photo of the business transaction between Sony and Marvel.

I have to say, I don't know how to feel about this. I mean, of course yay for crossover fun and Marvel getting back the rights they deserve, but I have a few worries in mind. Spider-Man is not an important member of the Avengers, DP. Like, he's of course one of Marvel's most famous heroes, but there is nothing he contributes to the team that makes him effective, thus reducing him to quick comedic relief lines in every Avengers appearance he has. Super strength, Hulk and Thor beat him. Agility? Quicksilver makes that mute. Being able to swing or crawl? Iron Man can fly. Shoot webs? Hawkeye shoots arrows, Thor shoots lightning, and Scarlet Witch harnesses reality warping magic that is technically not magic lol. Tony Stark and Black Panther will make Peter's chemistry skills look like amateur work, and he is never leading the Avengers in a million years despite his fame. In fact, what made him unique at first in the comics was every hero and NY citizen misunderstanding and hating him. Literally, the first issue of Amazing Spider-Man has him visiting the FF to join the team and him getting thrown out by being accused of being a criminal lol.

Also, having a major creative role in the series has me worried he won't get much universe expansion with those villain movies most likely cancelled, and he'll take away dev time towards another deserving franchise. Not to mention the part I am the most scared of, the characters and stories being reduced to being entirely lighthearted and humorous, having little real tension, and some of the most memorable comic book villains becoming unmemorable. While the masses will no doubt stroke off Marvel for whatever they do, I just hope that Marvel has more effort up their sleeves than just relying on his inclusion in Avengers: Infinity War to increase the revenue at least threefold.

By the way, for now, from the news, Spidey will most likely appear in Captain America: Civil War (do not expect a big role though with Iron Man and Black Panther also there), along with a new solo movie in 2017 that will push off the dates for Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans (which people are already complaining about, so thanks Spidey). Avengers: Infinity War Parts 1 and 2. And he is most likely getting a new actor, so I'm going to miss Andrew Garfield lol (imagine they hire Tobey Maguire again though as a surprise? Nah...).

Last edited by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:53 pm

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

"The studio is still moving forward with the Spider-Man villain-centric “Sinister Six,” and “Venom” spinoff, as well as a film that features female characters in the “Spider-Man” universe. “The Amazing Spider-Man 3″ has been cancelled. While Marvel’s Feige is involved with Sony’s new “Spider-Man” films, he currently is not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs, sources say."

Apparently the spin offs are still being worked on. I really doubt the villains will be the problem with the new movies since the best Marvel Rogues Gallery are the Spiderman villains. And besides they can't make the same mistakes of Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man franchise. Anyways I'm really excited to see Spider-Man and Daredevil team up against Shocker and Rhino

VS
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:22 pm

I didn't think Amazing Spider-Man had too many flaws honestly. I thought they did a pretty great job, so it sucks for Garfield that he's out of a job now lol.

Also, if the spinoff are Sony, and the next Spidey movie is Marvel, how does the canon intertwine? I can only assume this is gonna be a clusterfuck of epic proportion, especially since, as Count noted, this means they'll force Spidey into every Marvel movie to catch him up to the canon (unless, for some reason, they keep Garfield, assume ASM is canon, and assume he was out of town during the Avengers, but that might be even worse lol).
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 pm

"Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man#ixzz3RP6OxGGE"

Technically all Spider-Man movies are still Sony its just that Marvel has input in the creative process. Marvel can use Spider-Man in any MCU movie they want and Sony can use MCU characters in future Spider-Man films. Its a guarantee that the Spider-Man movies will be canon to the MCU. 

IGN also wrote a great summary of what the deal consists of (Using Variety and The Hollywood Reporter as sources)

• Marvel isn't paying a dime to Sony for the rights to use Spidey. But the studio won’t receive a cut of the earnings for any of Sony’s Spider-Man films, and Sony won’t get a cut of the Marvel films that feature Spider-Man. (Marvel also controls the merchandising rights to Spidey.)

• Disney/Marvel reportedly had previously offered Sony "billions" to buy back the character.

• Marvel is instead essentially leasing the rights from Sony. Sony gets a (hopefully) revitalized Spider-Man thanks to Marvel, while Marvel gets to use one of their most iconic characters.

• The new Spidey will first appear in a Marvel movie (reportedly Captain America: Civil War) before getting his own stand-alone film from Sony on July 28, 2017. MCU characters could also appear in the new Spider-Man films.

• Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige will not be compensated for producing Sony's 2017 Spider-Man film.

• Sony will have final say over casting for the new Spider-Man, and is said to be looking for an actor much younger than Andrew Garfield, who is 31. Sony is looking to go back to "Spidey’s roots and put the character back in high school."

• Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 director Marc Webb won't be back.

• Amazing Spidey producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach have been bumped down to executive producers with "no real say" in the creative direction of the character moving forward. Arad was a key player with both Marvel and Spider-Man for many years, and was a sort of proto-Kevin Feige as Marvel became increasingly immersed in the world of film and TV beginning in the late 1990s.

• One source claims this could be the first step towards a larger plan to reacquire Spider-Man by Marvel, while another speculates that Disney is angling to acquire Sony Pictures entirely if it goes on the market.

• The Sony Spider-Man spin-offs, for the moment, are still in the works. This includes Sinister Six, Venom and the female Spidey characters film that we've previously heard about. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 is obviously dead, and "while Marvel’s Feige is involved with Sony’s new Spider-Man films, he currently is not expected to be creatively involved with the spinoffs."
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:06 am

They could always just have him start his career after the Avengers. ASM1 even released the same year, so it'd be believable. The only question then would be what the hell was he doing while Ultron started a world war conquest. XD Like DP said though, the continuity is pretty much anally wrecked until further notice. Please, just do not do a third origin story if this a reboot. I will walk on my knees to Arizona just for that not to happen. Reboot or not, we need freaking progre-*Reads that Sony wants a high school student-looking actor*. 

Is it so hard to get a modern Spidey movie of him in college? XD Crossing over with Daredevil would be a dream come true and the one development I would approve of one-hundred percent. However, that can only occur during a second season, and we don't know if DD will get a second season since the road to Defenders is already planned (I wouldn't be surprised though since he will be the first Netflix Marvel show and the shows being released annually give aplenty of time for another season to release side-by-side and be green lighted). Of course, it's a tv show, so a crossover with a titular movie character is complex as hell already lol.

Also, DP, your faith in the quality of the ASM movies revives my hope in humanity. As for Radec, just because they are the most popular does not mean they can't be easily screwed the shock up by bad creative direction.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:28 am

I still haven't fully seen 2, despite wanting to. But I really enjoyed what they did with 1, especially with respect to the comics that you had me read. Very accurate, and what wasn't was acceptably different. I prefer ASM to regular SM as far as the first movies go. And I think I'd prefer 2 as well once I get through it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:44 am

Considering how much similar taste we seem to have in superhero movies, I would say that 2 should satisfy you. I hope lol. The weird thing is how a bunch people liked it the first few days and then all of a sudden the hate bandwagon pulled in and overflows the whole internet now. It has its flaws, but I swear, some of the nitpicks people have just seem to be pulled out of their-lol You get the point.

I'm just really glad we're still getting those villain movies, at least for now. They don't deserve to be cancelled with all of the build up they've gotten, good or bad.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:06 am

The reason why they hated it was because it was a bad movie. Simple as that. Thats why they are rebooting

But I have to be fair. Those people probably disliked the movie but exaggerated their hate just so that this deal could happen. Its like how everyone was hoping X-Men DOFP would fail critically but it was awesome and now everyone is cool with Fox owning X-Men. Fantastic Four is also getting hate just so the rights could revert but I doubt they ever will. That trailer looked dope though.

But in the end I just want another great Spider-Man movie. I know you guys are fans of the Amazing franchise but I wasn't. Spider-Man is my boy, the person I look up too. Peter Parker is just a socially awkward, nerdy kid that is given this responsibility to protect and inspire people. He's an incredible and iconic character and I want him to shine again like he did when the first two Raimi films came out which were critically acclaimed. He's Marvels best character with a rich history and awesome villains. I hope you guys see where I'm coming from. I'm excited and skeptical, but man I am excited.
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:33 am

Or, you know, we all have different opinions. I get why people wanted Spider-Man back, but that doesn't mean a film with arguably at least some good qualities has to be trashed just to send out a message. Creations should be valued for what they did right in people's eyes while the flaws shouldn't go unnoticed, there shouldn't be any black and white/join or die motivation in this field regarding sides. If you want the rights to go back to Marvel, feel free to state it. But don't devote all of your time into declaring what you view is bad instead of advocating what is enjoyable or dismissing whoever questions just to get your way. ASM2 is a very mixed movie at the end of the day, clear and simple.

But yeah, I'm glad to see that you at least acknowledge that. I was on the DoFP hate bandwagon too, not gonna lie lol. I'd rather have the FF back rather than Spidey though, if I am being fully honest, just because of the characters Marvel could use with the grand plan of their plots.

I am also excited. Spider-Man has been my role-model since I was pretty much born, and I'm currently following at least three ongoing Spider-Man comic books at the moment. He's arguably one of the most tragic, disrespected, yet hilarious, epic and amazing characters in all of entertainment media, which is a given. But I'm also someone who is cynical and honest to themselves, so I'm not going to lie and just jump on the hype merely because the majority is in favor of it and consider it a "victory". Despite their flaws, I still love Marvel at the end of the day, but I don't view their writing skills (movie-wise) as the equivalent of being shining white knights in armor of modern adaptations with how IM1, Cap 2, and Guardians are the only breakout films they've had in my eyes plot-wise (yes, that includes Avengers). To me, heroes are not just about the humor and action of being a vigilante, but the struggle, loss, personal tension, and character development it bestows over the years to enrich the medium and make these characters feel truly human and relatable. Marvel arguably hasn't tried to do that until Winter Soldier with their protagonists (sure, Tony and Thor were douches, but we all knew he were going to end up good and those were their origin stories meant to establish their basic character traits as a whole, so those don't count). Plenty of their movies arguable have plenty of flaws as well, they just don't get much focus due to superheroes being the main gig nowadays and Marvel being the forerunner of the cinematic universe gig DC is still playing catch-up on. As long as people see superheroes from different franchises together, it doesn't matter what the writing is like, it will be a box office hit guaranteed. Surely we can both agree with that realization of the simple mindset of the populace since heroes are all the rage despite IM2 and Dark World not getting the best reviews, to say the least. They mainly just rode on leftover Avengers hype for success, of course if you liked those movies though, all power to you. The question is really how much effort and passion Marvel will invest from that point on, and I'm this seemingly judgmental only because I care for Spider-Man that much. If Marvel can prove my doubts wrong, feel free. I would love nothing more than to feel like a lone hipster, I don't have opinions like these just to stand out to look cool lol.

I can see FF going back if the movie bombs. They don't have enough leverage like Sony does with Spidey to make the transaction they had and considering how they were willing to give up Daredevil just to work on an FF reboot and resisting all of the backlash while trucking on (probably because the popularity of the FF films is there, regardless of quality dispute) shows that they are really riding their hopes on this. If it's crushed, I don't see them reviving it again, especially with their successful own cinematic universe to enjoy with X-Men. But truth be told, the FF reboot doesn't look that bad at all thus far, and I like the enthusiasm the writers have for it. I'm still just worried about Doom being a blogger. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:11 am

The only thing I have to say at this point is that Spidey's tendency to be an awkward high school guy depends on the continuity we're talking about. I've always felt Garfield nailed Amazing Spidey for this reason; he's awkward at first, yes, but that doesn't have to be the be-all end-all of his character. That's even something Superior hammered home - Spidey can have any characteristic and work out fine.

Either way, we know awkward Spidey didn't work with Toby, and cool Spidey didn't work with Toby Garfield. So we're out of ideas for how to make Spidey work for more than one movie.

Wait.

Donald Glover.

K, job's done, go home Sony, all clear now.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:47 am

SAD.

That's how I felt when I read about the deal. While a lot of people jumped up with glee. I frowned. Andrew Garfield, Spiderman, is no more. I mean...what's ultimately frustrating is how I went from being downright displeased with the original Spiderman movies (third one killed it for me). Then, when they announced the "Amazing" Spiderman, I was largely skeptical. Now I will admit I don't follow the comic series but I did watch the show when I was a young kid. So I can't state what is accurate or at flaw. I can only view the movie as an entertainment value, as I do with everything else. When I watched the Amazing Spiderman, I smiled. I thought the chemistry between Andrew and Emma was flawless (they do have a thing) and it made the movie amazing for me. It wasn't amazing because of the storylines accuracy, for all I know it had huge issues, and I've heard it did. I also know that Andrew was annoyed with what became of the second movie, saying it made sense, only later to be cut into pieces. 

Now, obviously if I knew the original source material I could say what's garbage and what's spot on. But, as any movie, even if I don't know the original source material, I can comment on the artistry, the writing, the acting, the visuals, the sound, and so on. I think the Amazing spiderman series, was, even if full of flaws in regards to source material (but it's a darn movie and movies always take liberties) I think the acting was just splendid. I felt the chemistry, and I cannot count on my fingers how many movies I have gotten that feeling from.

From humor to sorrow. I was hooked to the 2nd Amazing Spiderman. The ending (the very end) I shrugged at because the kid scene was corny, but I forgave it because of the Sinister 6 build up.

What doesn't make sense, is the Sinister 6 movie still being around if Spiderman was replaced. I will just feel out of place seeing the villains carry over but "oh wait! A third Spidy!"

Like...at least give justice to the first two films and finish that series properly. Don't just cut off its head. It's throwing dirt on what I honestly felt was a perfect Spiderman.

So..now there's the return of Spidy with the Avengers and so forth. Cool. But if the new Spiderman isn't "Spiderman" then it's just a cash grab. I don't support cash grabs. I support art.

As Count mentioned, I'm done seeing the Origin. If they want a new Spiderman, it best be a different approach.

That is all. Tired mine for an early morning, signing off!

Edit: *SIGH* -->> http://screenrant.com/spider-man-marvel-cinematic-universe-andrew-garfield/

Another...Origin.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:47 am

Allow me to add my two cent

lpools Two Cent:

so yeah, don't really know what to think until we get casting and stuff. Given that Marvel have gotten a grand total of 0 castings wrong, it will tell alot about who has more control.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:04 pm

They didn't outright confirm another origin, Chaos. Just that Cap 3 will be the first appearance of Spidey in the MCU. So I am still holding some degree of sanity/hope lol. But I agree with everything you said, as noted in my first cynical comment towards this deal. What I would loathe almost as much as another origin is ANOTHER Green Goblin lol. 

Still, I am curious about who the villain will be. My bets are leading towards either Kraven or Mysterio, especially since they were confirmed for the Sinister Six by Marc Webb for the ASM2 credits. It would be nice to see Vulture as a side villain though, just because I'm interested in how he would look from a live-action take by trying to rob a bank or something.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

I just want to know who the villains are since Spidey and Batman villains are my favorites. I'm serious about Shocker, he'll be a good street level chump who he can face. And its time to see Mysterio. 

Wishlists got storylines:

Also it would be cool for a whole movie Hobgoblin is the villain and its a mystery of his real identity.

Spider-Man and Blade vs Morbius

Spider-Man and Daredevil trying to take down the Kingpin, with appearances from Silvermane, Prowler, Silver Sable, and Hammerhead

Kravens Last Hunt

Spider-Man, Black Cat, Prowler, Puma, Venom and Man-Wolf vs The Sinister Six (This one is crazy but I WANT IT SO BAD)
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:55 pm

why not do Spider Verse while we are at it? We just need to cover Superior.....ohhhhhh thats why.

i love Superior, and Comic fans came around, but the general public?
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Superior would flat out NOT work in theaters. Remember Evil Toby? The concept of one actor playing two characters as one person simply doesn't translate well to this medium.

I honestly hope they just skip right past Spidey's origin and move on to Venom or something. I mean as somebody said, if they're looking for HS Spidey they can say he started right after The Avengers when Uncle Ben died in a freak building collapse (best way to skip that plot).

Of course, this is Sony, so they won't be logical.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Sony? Logic? What sorcery is this?

Yeah your right.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Since Marvel is pretty much going to extremely butcher Civil War's plot to be a Cap sequel about heroes with no secret identities whatsoever besides one guy, they can get a way with a Superior movie with heavy alterations and shoving the whole storyline into one movie. But like DP, I extremely doubt such a controversial story will ever be done lol. They could work around Spider-Verse without relying on Superior easily but given that it is, well, freaking Spider-Verse, we will never ever see that type of movie outside of a show.

Realistically, the only specific famous Spidey plots I see that can be adapted are a lighter version of Kraven's Last Hunt, which is sort of the original Superior Spider-Man when I think about it lol, and a better Symbiote story (I can see that happening after Infinity War because of all of the space adventures that will progress with Thanos' Infinity Gem shenanigans). 

And everyone wants to see Shocker. No one mocks the Shocker.

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:31 pm

so anyone else read the new thor ... dat writing :/
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I have. It's alright, nothing special yet. The run right before this, God of Thunder, was epic right from the get-go with the God Butcher arc lol. Thorita is interesting so far, but I'm not going to really get used to her and get attached to her as a protagonist until her identity gets revealed so that she actually has some character (and I have a pretty damn good idea who it is, by the way). So far, I'm mainly interested in the big War of the Realms being built up along with Odinson's character development journey with being "unworthy".

Oh yeah, and this book is happening:

Totally getting that along with this:

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:36 pm

It may seem a bit too quick to double post, but I figured to make an exception since this might be one of the only times people might be interested in this thread outside of movies.

As some of you may or may not know, both Sonic and Mega Man have their own comic series being published by Archie comics with their own continuities separate from those of the games (although there are plenty of arcs that do take direct inspiration from the plots, the story flow along with plenty of the characters are new). In 2013, however, Archie Comics had the brilliant idea of having two of the most iconic cool blue video game heroes and have them star in the comic book crossover, Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Collide. I couldn't read the whole thing, but it was pretty cool, and you didn't even need to a longtime reader to at least get the gist of the plots/characters as long as you were fans of the games.

Considering the success of that crossover though, it stands to reason that another crossover will be likely. And in fact, it's been confirmed for a while too. Sonic/Mega Man: Worlds Unite is set to premiere this year in May. However, while it may seem like Archie's only cashing in on just having the two heroes meet again, there are multiple new major elements in play that this image can convey better than words.

Yep, this is going to be a whole multiversal conflict involving multiple SEGA and Capcom characters/franchises (think of Project X Zone, minus Bandai Namco and actually having an interesting plot). At the forefront are the universes of Sonic and Mega Man, along with Sonic Boom (which has recently gotten its own Archie published comic line) and Mega Man X (who has been getting build up and exposition in the Mega Man book). Four new franchises (two SEGA, two Capcom) will be revealed for the image each day on IGN, so I'll keep a list that I'll update daily below of the acknowledged cast thus far.

Cast:

1. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
2. Mega Man (Mega Man)
3. Sticks (Sonic Boom)
4. Mega Man X (Mega Man X)
5. Alex Kidd (Alex Kidd)
6. Billy Hatcher (Billy Hatcher)
7. Nina (Breath of Fire)
8. Viewtiful Joe (Viewtiful Joe)
9. Nights (NiGHTS)
10. Tyris Flare (Golden Axe)
11. Red Arremer (Ghosts n' Goblins)
12. Amaterasu (Okami)

This comic really makes me regret dropping Sonic and Mega Man. I might just pick this up. As for characters, I'm just hoping for Dante, Beat from Jet Set Radio, and Vectorman. I wouldn't mind Bayonetta she's classic or cartoony enough to be considered. Additionally, I'm always glad to see more of Viewtiful Joe.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 am

Get Sticks the fuck away from real Sonic. Burn it! Burn it now!
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 am

I'm sure that you would much rather burn both after Lost World, DP.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:29 pm

A new bookstore opened so I decided to check if it had any mangas and/or comics I could buy. Unfortunately, there weren't any mangas and no Old Man Logan cause I wasn't able to finish reading that. So I decided, hey why not pick up Ms.Marvel?

So I read it and it's a pretty fun read. Once i get more money I'm get gonna get later installments. Still weird to read about something on your hometown.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Sun May 03, 2015 4:20 pm

So anyone watch Avengers Age of Ultron yet? I did and I thought it was awesome
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top