General Comics and Related media discussion.

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Comics and Related media discussion.

Post by Count Mario on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 pm

I've kind of been pondering about which comic to possibly get a a third subscription (The first two are Amazing/Superior Spider-Man and Batman) and I really think that I want to get Scarlet Spider. It stars Peter's clone, Kaine, who used to be a villain but is now an anti-hero and pretty much and vasty different/separated from him, although they're cool with each other. I think the best way to describe him is that he's basically what Red Hood is to Batman, with a twisted motto of "All the Power, No Responsibility" Each issue has been getting fantastic reviews and there are literally people saying that it's one of the best comics that marvel's currently putting out, so I'll keep my eye on it. And I personally love the costume.

Yeah, not exactly your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, huh? XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 am

So Count, Peter Parkers dead...
What were your thoughts upon reading the tragic news?
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 am

Eh, I knew that for over a month to be honest. I was actually thinking about reviving this thread for this specific topic, but I felt nobody would be interested.

*Cue long and geeky explanation/rational reasoning*
Spoiler:
So I'll start off with how I will agree that based on these events, this is the worst thing that has happened to Peter event-wise. Worse than the death of Uncle Ben, the death of the Stacys, One More Day, the Clone Saga(s), etc. However... I still throughly enjoyed issue 700 (The issue of his death) and his final struggle against Doc Ock in an intellectual battle instead of just brawns which enforced just how much Peter stood for. With Peter's final act, he basically merged his memories with Ock's. Before it was like Ock had access to Peter's memories -- we could see they did not fully affect him as he was willing to harm Peter's loved ones to ensure that he won, but Peter ensured that Ock had to basically feel and live those memories as if he (Otto) actually lived it all. Ock didn't want that (that was pretty plainly shown in the story), but once complete with the process, you could see he was changed by it, and not just some Christmas revelation of how he was bad all these years and now needs to be good -- this was very much a forced change on him brought about by Peter.

At least it wasn't what I feared it would be -- Ock secretly wanting to be a good guy and just getting Peter's blessing based off of him making a promise. This isn't Ock as we knew him, and this isn't Peter Parker. This is basically an Otto Octavius that was forced to live and go through Peter's life -- his good times, bad times, and every bit of experience that made Peter what he was. It wasn't a simple revelation on his part realizing that he was bad all these years and that he should be good now because that was what the writer wanted for the story. It was a fundamental rewriting of the core of who Octavius was.

Now, this does not mean that we basically have Otto running around and acting like Peter -- we know we are getting a darker version of Spidey, we can also see this difference in his final speech, and a lot of this is going to stem from the fact that it is still not truly Peter, and Otto will most likely have to reconcile who he was with who is now. He didn't want this change, he didn't want this responsibility, but Peter is now a big part of the core of who he is -- hence he will probably have what he believes to be true blue feelings for Mary Jane -- since he has now lived Peter's romance with her and felt the feelings Peter had for her. Am I happy that Peter is gone for the moment? Absolutely not...but I am now more willing to give Superior Spider-Man a chance after having fully read the issue and having gained a true understanding of what happened and not just believing every little internet rant I have read.

Peter will be back eventually. I truly believe that. For now, I am willing to let him go to have his well earned rest, and at least give this new character a chance for a bit. I can be patient and wait for Peter's eventual return.

Moving on to the run in general, Amazing Spider-Man has consistently been one of the best mainstream supehero comics since I started reading it a couple of years ago when "Big Time" started. And it had been getting pretty good reviews since before that. I know all art is subjective, but I feel this is as close to objective fact on such things as it gets. It's a really good book and Dan Slott deserves a chance to play this story out.

For much those same reasons, I find all the continued complaints about "One More Day" to be incredibly tiresome. We get it. You didn't like that story. I'm not going to defend that story. Read the book or don't, but don't try to judge a current storyline by completely different people by an old story. I mean no personal offense, flashedarling but this:

"So... they were so dedicated to having Peter being spiderman and not making him a legacy character that they forced a deal with the devil so that Peter could stay spiderman and swinging single. Instead of doing something like bringing back Ben Reilly or something. And then this?

Yeah. Screw them."

Is really, really annoying to me.

But most of all: People, come on. You know how this works. Peter will come back. Don't pretend like you don't know otherwise. marvel pulled the exact same thing with Human Torch and that isn't even last a year, and also for Captain America, Professor X, Thor (He was only dead for a couple of months), etc. There are changes that are meant to stick (like Peter being single), and changes that aren't. This is pretty clearly going to be the latter. And that's okay! Otto's tenure as Spider-Man and the inevitable return of Peter Parker can still be a good story despite the fact that we know broadly how it will end. Marvel is master of the rotating status quo, shaking things up in one place while reverting things to the "classic" mode elsewhere, then repeating it in other places with the next event. They always have an out. And sooner or later, they'll exercise it here. That doesn't mean the story is bad, just that it has a planned end that puts the pieces back more or less where we found them (except for the bits that feed the next story arc, which will end with things back to status quo except for the bits that feed the next story arc, etc.). In fact, to me, this is practically Kraven's Last hunt extended into an ongoing comic with Doc Ock instead, which again I find perfectly okay and one of my main interests in Superior's future run.

But the thing that really makes me steamed about this is how Dan Slott has been getting death threats. Death Threats. About a story event in a goddamn comic, one that anyone with half a brain knows is a temporary plot point. I understand no one here is like that, but Jesus Christ, people need to get some perspective. Also one of the main reasons why I'm excited, because he'll act differently, they build character development and as evident by Avenging 15.1, be influenced by Peter's memories and possible presence to not act as much of a jerk over some time.

Maybe that's why I'm not feeling the common displeasure as much as the internet, I barely even look at this as a legitimate "death". I mean, we have a person who has Peter Parker's body with Peter's memories and personality - should we even consider Peter to really be "dead"? It's more like a very very long brainwashing story. Doc Ock hijacks Peter's body and drives it around for at least the next 24 (the amount of issues in a year's run of Superior) issues, but Peter is still inside. This isn't like the death of Ultimate Peter Parker where it was a built up final battle with an honorable death and the usual cliche that makes up a grand finale for a beloved character like usual. In fact, it's quite possibly the worst thing that could ever happen to Peter, which is what really captivates me, and honestly shows that Dan has balls for pulling this off because he dos want to be able to branch out to tell a story that will change Spider-Man. Which I find to be ironic as people have been claiming that there hasn't been any major changes to the character across Slott's run, but when this happens, they want the old status quo back, even when they haven't read Spider-Man for years which personally makes their opinions hyperbolic to me.

So Slayer, if you're willing to go back to this thread along with any other people who are at least Spider-Man fans, give this a chance. In no way do you have to like what happened, to Peter, I sure as hell didn't. However, story wise from after reading issue 700 and how it was written, I honestly loved it and continue have faith in Dan Slott like I always have and to me, I'm actually excited about Octavius as Spider-Man. It sounds dumb, I know, but Ben Reilly, Miguel O'Hara, and even Kraven from Kraven's Last Hunt gained a bunch of fans that are still loyal through things like this. Yet I imagine this to be much better than any of them from what I've sen and I can't wait.

Overall, I loved issue 700, along with the Avenging Spider-Man issue 15.1 connection, and I am honestly fully excited for the Superior Spider-Man! There's an old saying that I have practically memorized and also made up. In order to rise, don't you need to fall first? That's the general gist of how I'm taking the whole switch of Spider-Man's mantle.

And here are some scans of Superior Spider-Man in various future comics in the Marvel Universe:

Spoiler:

Sorry for the long comment, but given how this is one of my most influential childhood heroes as well as many others and I know that petty much everybody here hasn't read any recent Spidey comics, I kind of felt obligated to defend this with as much input as possible. To sum up everything I just said, give the comic a chance if you might want to start reading Spider-Man comics henceforth, don't believe every random internet rant or keep nostalgia goggle on too tight to prevent you from witnessing he birth of this "Superior" Spider-Man, and Peter Parker is guaranteed to return in the future regardless of this massive event. Wink Although to honor the momentary departure of Peter Parker, I will leave this song here:

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 am

Spoiler:
i can see the peter otto thing sticking actually. eventually they will pull some shit like making peter the dominant personna so they can call him peter again not otto. but they obviously did this to make Spidy darker but not Scarlet Spider dark. Peter even if he comes back will never be the same. and he will be back as you said. now i gotta read this arc....damm i don't wanna spend meh mmoney!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 am

@Ipool
Spoiler:
Actually, I didn't mean that Otto had to be kicked out or something manual like that. And to be truly honest, it's very easy for Peter to actually be revealed to have truly been in Peter's body along with Otto all along. The issue makes sense after you read issue 700. To be honest, this is one of the few possible character revivals that wouldn't seem like an ass pull because the evidence and material is all right there for his return, you just need to complete the puzzle during Otto's journey.

I just got finished reading issue 700 in full context (I only knew some spoilers until now) and all I can say is...

Just... bravo Dan Slott. It was a spectacular issue, and the ending was a real damn tearjerker. I was literally almost on the verge of crying. I don't care what anybody says, I love Peter Parker pretty much as much as my life to be fully honest, but I am definitely willing to go on board with this story for sure. I loved you run on Amazing, and I'm definitely not jumping off the bandwagon for Superior.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 am

So... here's the second print cover for Amazing Spider-Man 700:

Spoiler:

I'm sorry, I love Peter Parker as much as my life, but this gave me a good chuckle. Sorry, guilty as charged. This is totally staying my new Avatar, I've made my final decision now. Dan Slott's trolling knows no bounds. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 am

Rofl, dude that's hilarious but he's definitely pissing some people off! xD

More death threats I guess?
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Naw, I think he's aiming towards building up angry mobs to ambush him outside of his house once he steps out of his precautionary Spider-Man 700 bunker once Superior Spider-Man's first issue ships out next week. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm

So... I think I have a bit of happy news for anybody who's still sad about Peter's death.

Spoiler:

To be quite honest, I was one of the few people who was already looking forward to Ock being Spider-Man in the first place, so this is just icing on the cake to me. This was already even foreshadowed in Avenging 15.1. Honestly, I think this will set up a lot of potential for the dynamic between the two personalities/influences. In fact, imagine at the end of SUperior when peter gets his body back that he realizes that Otto has actually been a superior Spider-Man than he was. That's bound to leave some effect. Bravo Dan Slott, bravo.

Also, it looks like Otto's misadventures with his "not playing well with others attitude" has gotten him on the wrong side of The Avengers...

I'll be honest again, I'm actually glad he's getting kicked off. He worked better when he was solo and he barely did anything useful in the Avengers books actually. This just gives less trouble with staying up to date with his history throughout his books.

Last edited by Count Mario on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Oh man, I can't wait for that!
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Also, Slott literally confirms that Miguel O'Hara, the Spider-Man of 2099, will appear in Superior Spider-Man. In fact, here's a video of him outright confirming it.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/870100/marvel-now-spider-man-2099-is-back.jhtml#id=1699855

Now, I am freaking hyped! I can't wait for Miguel, I actually love him almost as much as Peter.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

I can tell with the whole swapping avatar thing your doing.

Given the whole future thing I'd say Miguel will have a big part to play in peters predicament
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 pm

You're right, Ipool. Although I'm just interested in seeing just how major a role Miguel will have and if this arc won't be just some half-assed crossover event or actually moves the plot forward with big repercussions, in which I would definitely appreciate the latter. That said, I'm really looking forward to their interactions considering how despite their similar morals (Like not killing and the usual stuff), theyhad very different... perspectives, at the least.

Spoiler:

Anyways, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the SPIDER-SIGNAL!

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Yay, I can revive this thread again! Recent news has shown that Marvel's third wave, "Phase Three" if you prefer, for their movies will consist of Ant-Man arriving to theaters on 2015 and Doctor Strange. Here's the source.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/doctor-strange-and-ant-man-confirmed-for-marvels-phase-three/145894/

Of course, we already knew an Ant-Man movie was already in production, but it's nice to see that Marvel's getting more open about it. I'm more excited for Dr. Strange though considering how I've been preaching about a Dr. Strange movie for a while. So, YAY! Of course there's the general worry about superhero movies getting milked and the public interest being lost and yadayadayada but I already went over that with DP. Also, there's a rumor that Stephen will debut in Thor 2 not only as a cameo but playing a major role:

So, which actor should play Stephen? Viggo Mortensen or better yet, Liam Neeson would be perfect in my eyes.

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

New Superman movie.

I won't bore you like I usually do with my long and incomprehensible rants and fangasms. Just discuss.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Okay...on topic what's he avatar? Looks like joker.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Wait, what are you ta-*Sees History Channel video*

Damnit, I thought I still had the URL to the new Superman movie copied. Here's the real video. XD

Also:

What do you think, Ipool?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 pm

Is he stabbing a batsuit?

I will never get used to the face. Hush was enough.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:19 pm

No, its just bloodstained. Also:

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:23 pm

"count gets thrown into space"

DIE DOOMSDAY!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 pm

LOL But dude, there's a reason that the Avatar roleplaying thread exists.

Additionally, some new Ultimate Spidey season 2 clips:

So wait, let me get this straight. The Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Static Shock, and even Green Lantern can't get another season, but THIS show gets a renewed season aired in just over two freaking months...

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 pm

I was referencing injustice

also take me with you!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm

I know. I was just persuading you to join in on that thread again though. Wink

And you need to pay five American dollars for the fee. hurr
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:46 am

........here my imaginary dolla I won!
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:54 pm

You know guys, I've been finding a pretty particular pattern with the current active Spider-Men that have of course proceeded Peter Parker. Try to guess how they're similar?

SpOck:

Ultimate:

Venom:

Scarlet Spider:

What, you haven't guess it yet? They're ALL black and red! I mean, don't get mr wrong. Black and red are my favorite colors and I love it when they're used together in this sense (Honorable mention to Batman Beyond as well) and I love all of these costumes looks. However, do they really all have to keep similar colors with barely any originality outside of physique and how much each color is on the costume? Seriously, this isn't like the situation with the five Earth Green Lanterns because unlike them, they don't have to be the same freaking color. I don't know, I'm not mad at all, but it just seems to me that these Spider-Men could use a little more innovation for their costume critique.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top