Anime/Manga

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Anime/Manga

Post by Count Mario on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Except that Dosu owned Lee and Curse Mark Sasuke had to step in. Or when Lee's hilariously awesome Loopy Fist progress got sidetracked by suddenly getting sober and Kimimaro going CS1 (gotta love how his epic and emotional journey of recovery led up to him getting his ass kicked and relying on the person who got him in that situation in the first place). Not to mention him being Neji's female dog during Part 1 off-screen. Lee's just a Yamcha with a likable personality and more of a tease in fights with how good he sounds on paper. Hell, Sasuke training a few weeks with Kakashi made Lee's weightless speed gained through years of aggravating work irrelevant. Seriously, there is no character more disappointing in Naruto than Lee, who I deeply loved until Part 2.

And Dragon, I took it as a way of One Piece saying that it sh*ts all over Naruto. XD But you have to admire Kishimoto and Oda's behind the curtains romance:

Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Count Mario wrote:Except that Dosu owned Lee and Curse Mark Sasuke had to step in. Or when Lee's hilariously awesome Loopy Fist progress got sidetracked by suddenly getting sober and Kimimaro going CS1 (gotta love how his epic and emotional journey of recovery led up to him getting his ass kicked and relying on the person who got him in that situation in the first place). Not to mention him being Neji's female dog during Part 1 off-screen. Lee's just a Yamcha with a likable personality and more of a tease in fights with how good he sounds on paper. Hell, Sasuke training a few weeks with Kakashi made Lee's weightless speed gained through years of aggravating work irrelevant. Seriously, there is no character more disappointing in Naruto than Lee, who I deeply loved until Part 2.

And Dragon, I took it as a way of One Piece saying that it sh*ts all over Naruto. XD But you have to admire Kishimoto and Oda's behind the curtains romance:

While this is true, he did put up more of a fight than Yamcha ever did, and actively tried to improve himself. i'm not saying he's not disappointing, he's just not Yamcha. 

That said, lets be honest, every Naruto character is disappointing.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:00 pm

True. But at least Neji died the way that he loved to live. With a stick up his ass lol. But with that said, he should've died back in Part 1, honestly. Kishimoto pulled a Toriyama of hyping up too much of a wide cast too early on pre-timeskip. It's almost a godsend that Oda didn't fall for the same trap, although the cast balancing in One Piece isn't perfect either with nine consistent main characters and potentially more.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:11 pm

As terrible as the past like 3 years have been for Naruto, that last chapter was actually better than the One Piece chapter this week. It was like Fire Emblem Awakening level with the children and whatever, but I'm a sucker for seeing the new generation. I get all choked up during the credits roll from Film Z. Overall, I think it was a fantastic sendaway. It's bittersweet because Naruto's been such a big part of my life.

And that OP / Naruto tribute fest. Kishi saying "hey, One Piece is great, man, and we're friends and we've been doing this for aroudn the same time-ish, so we're like manga-brothers." Honestly, the two of them came up to carry the torch after DBZ. One Piece by being insanely popular and well loved by everyone not in America, and Naruto by being overhyped and beloved by all the nerdy white teenagers there.

The One Piece cover is fantastic. It really is. 

Like I said, the Naruto was better than the One Piece this week, but even then the margin is pretty close, imo. Rosinante has silently snuck his way into our hearts like most every One Piece heel-face has done, except I think he might even become a new Bon-chan / MIIIIISSSSTA CHUUUUUUU type of rallying cry during the rest of the Doffy battle.

I read Bleh for the first time in awhile to see if there was that Naruto-comraderie. There wasn't. Just disappointment and overly cliched "badass" scenes.

"Bah, these OP characters are just weak subordinates! Sacrifice them so we can unlock our true power! By the way, prepare to get a chunk of you taken out with my dumbly OP new move." Fat-Yamamoto-Not-Yamamoto was the only alright thing about.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh joy. OH JOY. Naruto finally finished and along with it came the salty yet delicious tears of the NarutoxSakura fanbase.
https://imgur.com/a/XKwJ4

Enjoy.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NARUTO...NARUTO GT IS HAPPENING. 

http://www.otakutale.com/2014/naruto-sequel-manga-launching-spring-2015/

Not written by Kishimoto. Literally DBGT all over again.

Oh god, that was a good laugh.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Although he's not attached, I think kishi gave his blessing, plus it's a manga so it has that over GT.

and kishi not being involved is probably A good thing. 

Its only a miniseries too, so it won't overstay it's welcome. It's also not focusing on a child naruto and his annoying granddaughter, it's his kids story.

It's looking A lot more ppromising than GT was.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Why do you all act like this is news when I confirmed this pages ago...

Anyways, I agree with pool a bit, but even then I don't really have my hopes up.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:43 pm

im not gonna ever read it i have enough manga on my plate right now and i promised to swear off naruto after it was over
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:35 am

Oh it's still gonna be bad, just not GT bad
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 am

Just you wait.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 pm

This casting for the live action movie terrible, it appears the people making it forgot that Asians in the show are a rare breed.  And, that Mikasa and her mother are the only Asians shown in the series.  #EpicFail

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/19/live-action-attack-on-titan-movie-reveals-casting/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am

So, I tried out Toriko last month, and finally got all caught up with it (I watched the anime up until the end of the Regal Mammoth arc, then stuck with the manga until he latest chapter. Thank God I switched by then after I read about all of the censorship and changes towards the anime adaptation). I'm freaking addicted it lol. Of course, a few of the arcs have plenty of gaping flaws and some of the explanations behind power-ups can get downright confusing, and there isn't much character depth, but for what it is, I still find it incredible somehow lol. Maybe it's the world building, the creature designs, the in-depth narration, humorous character expressions, quirky powers, over-the-top brutal gory action, and the fact that it really brings out some simple, yet beautiful morals and themes from cooking, as off-puttingly "boring" as that may seem to non-readers, is really captivating. It's definitely not a masterpiece series and I still hold One Piece above it quite a bit, but this manga seriously deserves more recognition though. Perhaps an anime that actually pays respect to the source material without shoving in annoying original characters, cutting back on the intensity of the action, and completely rewriting the ending to the series climax could be a start.

Since I'm all caught up though, along with the Dressrosa arc in One Piece still being dragged out with breaks (not that I blame Oda for the latter with how much work he puts in daily), I'mt hinting about trying out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure given all of the hype towards it. The fact that it switches between protagonists and stories while sharing a canonical link fascinates me already.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

be warned jojo is a really old manga so some of the art in the first part looks a bit dated but you have to try jojo even if its just for Dio. (probably one of my fav villians ever) have you ever checked out hunter X hunter count?  Its made by the same guy who made yu yu hakusho amd it has almost one piece levels of crazy hidden details
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:30 pm

dragonfire111 wrote:be warned jojo is a really old manga so some of the art in the first part looks a bit dated but you have to try jojo

This is actually my favorite part of Jojo. It's really interesting to see how the author improves and/or changes his art style.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:06 pm

I've already read the first part, and honestly... It's not bad, but it wasn't that great either. Sort of ranges from decent-good to me. I feel like Part 1, as weird as this sounds, sort of had an identity crisis from wanting to be a real-life drama, supernatural-themed, or wanting to be training/martial arts story. The last part feels especially tacked on there out of nowhere when Zepelli rolled in out of nowhere/plot convenience. 

As for the characters, Jonathan was an okay protagonist, but he was still interesting. Dio Brando though... I have a love/hate relationship with him. Mainly because on one hand, I just love how much of a douche he is that I would nominate him for being one of the most prominent jerks in all of manga just because I'm an internal sadist when it comes to reading literature. But at the same time, he is also one of the most one-dimensional characters I have ever seen. Sure, we get a bit of sprinkling as to having a bad background a couple times, but over 98% of the time, he goes from wanting scheming to ruin Jojo's life to steal his inheritance, poison Jonathan's father, plot to take over the world by creating zombie henchmen and sucking life energy, all because his father was a douche and vaguely led his mom to death, so that gives him the right o be a conceited megalomaniacal prick. and bizarrely goes from despising Jojo to having a weird sort of respect for him. I actually like the last development because that made him more interesting, but alas, he died. Although from the bits of what I know about the series, I know that he comes back in some fashion, which could be good, so I hope his motivations are at least developed for his return. Oh, and Speedwagon... He's literally the most lazily tacked-on sidekick I have ever seen. There is seriously no reason for him to be such a diehard loyal fanboy to Jojo just because he was a cool enough guy to not fully kick his teeth in, not to mention that he was useless for the rest of the entire story. And that's a shame, because he had a cool thing going on with being a mugger and having a badass bowler hat with saws, but that only showed up once.

Plus, maybe this is just me, but Hamon in general confused the shock out of me with how the manga tries to explain it. Nevermind that it just comes out of nowhere with little buildup towards this sort of martial art being possible or necessary, but from what I could gather at first, it was basically building up energy from your bloodstream by controlling your breathing (since blood does carry your oxygen after all) that can be transmitted akin to a ripple traveling through objects. That's cool and all, but how does it promote energy from the sun? How does it create flames? How does it exactly alter your breathing? How does it magnetize leaves of all things? How does it allow you to transfer your freaking life energy? How does it create underwater tempests when it's not supposed to affect the environment? Or does it? I mean, Zepelli in his demonstration with the frog broke the rock underneath it, but it's shown several times that objects are meant to transmit the ripple, not be affected by it. I mean:

You realize how these two scenes directly contradict each other, right? My issue isn't as much as that these things shouldn't be possible (because it's a manga, I'm always game for nothing making any real-life sense), but how Hamon in general is mediocrely explained at best and seems to bend what seems to be constant about it to be convenient to the plot. If they actually explained how the energy from Sendo can be transmitted differently depending on the specific environment, energy change, stance alteration, or whatever akin to how Toriko (well, not as much since Toriko sort of goes overboard with applying both biology and physics nonfiction and bs lol) explains power-ups, I can understand how exactly all of this works. It doesn't have to make any real-world sense, just at least be bothered to be explained if this plot device is going to be that centric to the plot. Hamon makes Zoro's Asura move to spontaneous grow two siamese twins of yourself look like it was a predictable move to make to beat Kaku in Enies Lobby, honestly. But maybe it was just me. 

You know, with that many flaws, it's a wonder that I still found Part enjoyable, to be honest. But I did like the action regardless of the Hamon nonsense, I liked the supernatural theming, the plot before Zepelli came out of nowhere was interesting and a bit suspenseful despite the cliches, and I like Jonathan's epic death. Plus, I liked the art, honestly, which is more than I can say for most old school manga/anime art, actually.  Additionally, this doesn't really count for Part 1, but I really like the idea of having the series switch between protagonists and time periods linked by blood heritage. It reminds me of Castlevania with the Belmonts in that respect actually (in fact, they both have evil vampire villains who had personal mortal ties with the earliest member of the family and swear vengeance against them by trying to take down the protagonist family lineage. Seriously, why didn't Dio Brando fight Dracula or Alucard (either from CV or Hellsing) in Death Battle instead of... Whoever that was lol). It suppose that the only reason why I'm still going to read it is because I keep reading online that it gets a lot better from Part 2 onwards, so I'm hoping so. The first few chapters are already entertaining with Joseph's personality, cool grandma Erina, the New York setting, and tackling themes like racism. Just please let the powers make sense, man. I really want to get into this series with you guys, believe me. But I can't deny my inner critic either.

And no, Dragon, but has been on my list of recommended manga to read. So I will try to get into it once I catch up with Jojo, since I can't really balance catching up to date with two series over at least over 300 chapters. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:42 pm

yeah most people say part one is the weakest of the jojo series, the most popular ones seem to be either 3 or 4 where they just go nuts with the superpowers.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 pm

I actually finished Part 2 a while ago. Not gonna lie, I really liked it. It still has a bit of inconsistency and Deus Ex Machina BS (though less than Part 1), but the humor and character interactions, oh God. That story was beautiful, I freaking loved Joseph. XD I've watched the beginning of Stardust Crusaders and it seems that the powers concerning Stands will easily be much more interesting and hopefully consistent.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:14 am

just wait till you get to part 4 the author really likes rock so alot of stands are named after rockbands/songs *cough*(john)Dio (marlon)Brando*cough* plus some really awesome abilities
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I've already noticed the music inspiration since Zeppelli lol. I adore the anime soundtrack, and I definitely prefer Stands over the Ripple. I only wish Joseph wasn't reduced to being the Speedwagon of Part 3 lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:54 pm

you should see what happens to him in part 4
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:06 am

I just remembered an anime, has anyone here watched The Big-O before?  I remember really liking it and referring to it as the, "Japanese version of Batman."
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top