Syphon Filter Put to Death

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Syphon Filter Put to Death

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 am

http://gamingbolt.com/sony-bend-is-working-on-new-ps4-game-isnt-syphon-filter

This is the single most depressing piece of news I've read so far this year.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Syphon Filter Put to Death

Post by BigBox on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:04 am

I didn't expect them to be working on Syphon Filter to be honest, I'm expecting a new I.P from that studio.  Other than that, I think this thread is in the wrong section.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 am

Either way, just outright stating that the chances of even a reboot is absolutely out the window is jarring. Especially since evidence points to the contrary that Syphon Filter doesn't make sales. The only games out of that series that didn't fund well were the PSP titles and they weren't even going full-motion on those. 

I mean, what did they expect?

Not to mention the whole fansite that's still active to this day.

(Isn't there a topic-moving option for admins?)
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

I didn't really feel like it before but I GUESS I'll move it derp

I really enjoyed what little bit I played of Syphon Filter 1 on my PS3. I have all three still sitting there but Metroid Prime Trilogy has sucked up every free moment lately lol
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 am

I can't be the only one sad about this. It's part of the espionage triangle, right up there with Splinter Cell and Metal Gear.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:21 pm

I never hear anybody talk about Syphon Filter like I hear them talk about Metal Gear. Heck, I've never heard anyone talk about it like Splinter Cell, and I only know of like 3 people that play that series.

Sly Cooper is totally the last in that trio.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 pm

I'd say Sly is only slightly less known than Jak, but only because Naughty Dog fans popped up quicker than Seahawks fans after Uncharted.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:58 pm

Piratemankelly wrote:I never hear anybody talk about Syphon Filter like I hear them talk about Metal Gear. Heck, I've never heard anyone talk about it like Splinter Cell, and I only know of like 3 people that play that series.

Sly Cooper is totally the last in that trio.

Because Sony never fought to make Syphon Filter relevant after the PS2 era. No HD remakes, no collections and no sequels thanks to a rushed ending due to the developer's "burnout" and "didn't make enough money" because the PSP titles were half-assed.

Sly not only received HD remakes and collections, he also had a sequel on the PS3. 

I distinctly remember reading hundreds of demands for Gabe Logan to appear in All-stars, which more than implied Syphon Filter was a prominent series in Playstation's history. As also stated before there is a fan site that is still active. And the demand for Sony Bend to make another Syphon Filter title whenever the thought of an old franchise coming back is brought up in news sites. If it wasn't a big thing as MGS or Splinter Cell do you really think the devs wouldn't be constantly bothered by this?

The series suffers from Crytek syndrome. The Devs are too scared to go through with it because they are scared the games won't make money even though evidence to the contrary has been established by the thousands of followers and fans of the game demanding for another release. So what does the dev do? Make an excuse and try to develop a different game that tries to pander to the current 'blockbuster' games trending the market and when it tanks? Try again but never go back to that golden egg that really did good when you put effort into it.

That talk of less people knowing Splinter Cell and even less so with Syphon Filter is ridiculous because Splinter Cell always had that push from the devs and its backers who actually LISTENED to their fans. Splinter Cell remained relevant because the devs allowed it to all the way to the PS3 era. Syphon Filter was pushed back for years with it's last hinges on the Playstation Classics submitted to the market because the developer had no confidence or energy to keep it relevant. Metal Gear falls under this too in the same vain as Splinter Cell.  

That's the way most old franchises that spawned good games died. It's part of the reason why some people claim playstation characters aren't as memorable. (PART of the reason, not the whole reason.) Because some gamers don't get the chance to remember them. They don't get the chance to even know of them lest the older generation of gamers re-introduce it.

I don't doubt there's a good franchise that suffered the same fate that you (or anyone else) happened to favour.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 am

I don't see why you took offense to his response. He seemed to be making a point about stealth games as a genre more than anything distinct about a series I know for a fact he's never played. If we're treading this ground, though, I'm going to have to disagree. Sony loves to play it safe with money nowadays, I won't touch that aspect of the discussion, but I do think you're overestimating the power these PS1 franchises would've had when they transitioned to PS2. Sony has particularly been awful at transitioning franchises between gens, due to the constant polarizing shifts they pull each time around. The PS1 to PS2 transition was arguably the most jarring of these because of the former's reliance on third parties. BUT, there was a clear tendency towards sales drops from PS1 to PS2 franchises.

I can list a dozen examples off the top of my head, and all of them have to do with the fact that nostalgia aside, the PS1 sucked. It was the first (important) 3D console, and paved the way for the future, but it itself rarely had games that wouldn't end up horribly dated in a couple years' time. The entire collectathon genre died during the transition because of this reason, taking a promising franchise and Sony's most renowned studio to the brink of awfulness.

Now, I liked Syphon Filter for what it was, from the bit I played. I can get past some of its awful control issues and bad game design choices, because I lived the 90s, so I know that's common. But assuming that the genre would've definitely done well when easier-to-make and more beloved franchises like Wild Arms absofuckinglutely BOMBED on the PS2 is foolish. Being a Sony fan comes with knowing they fuck up 60% of their products; I'm typing this from an Xperia Z. Even if Bend, a studio made up of approximately 0% of the original SF developers, WANTED to make a sequel, it'd be nothing like the original, and it'd probably get cut for a better idea anyway - I'll take The Last of Us over a half-asked Jak 4 by half-willing developers any day, and I think that game is the definition of average. On top of that, there's the Crash for PSAS syndrome: everybody SAYS they'll buy it if he's in, and everybody says they'd pay $60 for Crash 4, but I promise you maybe 25% actually will. And this is the franchise that MADE PlayStation. Something like Syphon Filter, today, almost two decades after launch, is more than likely a financial mistake the way you want it.

We're lucky we ever even got Sanzaru to WANT to make Sly 4, or that Insomniac hasn't said fuck you to Sony altogether after the shafting they've gotten this gen. For every horrible cash cow like The Order, we'll still be getting great games like Uncharted and (hopefully?) Bloodborne, so we have to be thankful for that much with this company. The best we can hope for is that the creators go on Kickstarter and make a spiritual sequel, because you won't get what you want from a AAA dev, I promise you that.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:02 pm

I was just joking, mate. I wasn't a Playstation kid when I was younger, so I don't know a lot of its more obscure (per modern day) titles. I saw Sly commercials on Toonami and played them at DP's house in 7th grade, which is why I love Sly. 

There are plenty of old games I wish got support.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:25 am

I'm very sorry for the outburst. I was seeing red, so anything that was considered in good humour flew over my head.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:32 pm

It happens to the best of us.

But rather than wallow in Sony's incompetence, has anybody considered finding some of the SF creators and seeing what they're doing? Kickstarter has been great for spiritual sequels, after all, and if they're willing, they can make it work.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Not sure yet, I don't think it's entirely sunk in but check out this thread. It has some... interesting information.

http://www.sf-central.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3673

It seems there was a bit of drama going behind the scenes with the interviewee and the creator of the fansite.

At this rate I'll go and inquire about it myself and see what I can discover.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top