No More VGAs/VGX!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No More VGAs/VGX!!!

Post by DP on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:09 pm

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/videogame-industry-rallies-around-first-game-awards-exclusive-1201352339/

The big three, plus Valve, EA, and Ubisoft, are all getting behind Geoff Keighley's new awards program. It's not Spike-owned, instead it's completely independent and a fully collaborative effort. The program airs on December 5 (my birthday!), on XBL, PSN, Wii U streaming network, Steam, EA somehow, and possibly(?) a television network. 

http://minus.com/lbaGP07rPprTel
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: No More VGAs/VGX!!!

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Geoff "No-Personality" Keighley?

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 pm

I'd much rather have somebody who cares about games and has been trying to do this program for YEARS than some cunt who actively insults everybody else he speaks to like last year. Anything is better than Joel McHale, especially since this has the chance to end up being the Oscars of gaming with the support it's garnered.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm finally glad they did this. The only reason why I (and everyone else) watched the VGA's were for the trailers. And I do like and respect Geoff Keighly (Canadian dawg) because he genuinely does care about games and tries hard with his work with the VGAs and his shows on Gametrailers.

I hope this thing becomes big and can be like the Oscars, Emmys, or Grammays of Gaming
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I certainly won't be watching, I'll look up the trailers and award winners after it's over.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:59 am

Anaconda, you're probably gonna wanna watch the Game Awards now. Keighley announced the official reveal of the next version of Metal Gear Online at the show.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:15 pm

I know, the guy grabs at the heartstrings and just keeps pulling. >.<
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:44 am

Aside from reveals, this award show was terrible and a lot of the winners shouldn't have won.  I mean games like Mario Kart and Smash are cool, but they aren't serious contenders against say Forza, or Street Fighter.  They're party games and that's it, they aren't these titles that compete for anything.  By even comparing them to games like Forza, or Street Fighter in the sense of competition devalues both of the really fun games.  Bring back VGA's, they never would have made mistakes like that.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:50 am

Mario Kart is the only racing game worth playing this year, period. Forza Horizon 2 was decent at best. And Smash versus an update. Smash. Versus. An update. What was it, four characters and the ability to play as any broken variant of the previous patches? Apples and Apple Jacks here. Fact of the matter is, Smash saved the fighting genre back with Melee, and Brawl helped lead fans into SFIV in the first place to bring back the Renaissance. Discrediting games because you don't personally agree with them doesn't work when they're valid members of the genre.

Smash is a party fighter but it's a fighter. Mario Kart is a party racer, but it's a racer. Ask anybody which they'd prefer (Kart vs. Horizon 2 or Ultra vs Smash), and Nintendo wins that unanimously.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:09 am

I can't say that those games rightfully deserve those awards, it's just ridiculous.  It doesn't matter if they're better, what matters is they aren't award winning games.  They're games that are there just to be there.  If this is what we're turning to to win awards in the gaming world, then we're no better off than the movie business.  Agree that they don't deserve it, or say that gaming has become so bad that games like Mario Kart and Smash are serious things in gaming.  Party games.  What's next, Splatoon winning best shooter?  

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:18 am

So more fun is inferior to less fun? Don't extrapolate into Splatoon, because nobody logical is saying it's gonna win best shooter. (Hell, the fact that Far Cry won best shooter alone is irritating considering the mechanics blow. Considering Splatoon a Shooter at all goes against the definition of the genre since "Shooter" = FPS, not TPS.) We're talking about comparing a 50 person roster to a 30 person roster that's been done for years. We're comparing 1080/60 to 900/barely 60 (also a 360 game). We're comparing once-a-generation endeavors that last years before tiring to games whose sequels will be out in a couple years at most.

Now I'm not gonna change your mind here, I know you too well to assume you'd credit Nintendo at all. So let's jump past two cherry-picked grievances. I personally despise Dragon Age (always bored the shit out of me when I tried), but it's getting a LOT of love so I'll accept GotY. Everything else was deserving (though Valiant Hearts is questionable for two awards). Even Destiny getting best online even though it's average as a game.

I'd wait until next year when we get a real competition (Uncharted V Zelda V Xenoblade V possibly Bloodborne V allegedly RDR2 V FFXV if it's good V something else for GotY). 2014 was a wash, since only Nintendo came in ready (and it took them two years to get ready in the first place.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Smash won best fighter? Mario Kart best racer?

Bene! Like DP said, Nintendo was really the only company that released any games this year. There was honestly no competition in any of the markets they tried for.

Mario Kart 8 is hailed as one of the best in the entire series. It's a game built on fun and creativity. It's gorgeous, plays buttery smooth, supports a ton of players, and just has tons of charm. Forza and really most other racers are just... cars. Usually pretty boring, imo.

And were there even any other fighting games that came out this year? As far as I know, only updates, and maybe Guilty Gear Xrd (I don't care enough to check). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that GG Xrd isn't good or whatever, because it's probably an incredibly solid game with a deep story, but that series is so niche.

It would be like having Dynasty Warriors win Best Action game, except people actually know what Dynasty Warriors is.

Melee was a giant part of people's childhoods. Brawl's reveal trailer was like the second coming of Jesus as far as the internet was concerned, although the game itself was... well, you know. But Smash 4 is FANTASTIC. A few roster hiccups aside, the game is basically a perfect "parting gift" from Sakurai.

As for the "Splatoon isn't a good idea," look, I may not really care for Splatoon. It looks a lot like Da Blob or Mercury Meltdown to me, and seems more like a random semi-Indie-ish company's entry into the "I'm sort of like half-Nintendo-half-Valve" Wii U market, in that sort of "well, pick it up for like $13 when you get bored of actual Nintendo games" category. It also reminds me of the first Crackdown (which is MUCH better than the first).

But at least it has unique gameplay mechanics. It has a decent sounding story, it's trying new things, and it isn't just black, grey, and brown edgyness over and over again. Honestly, I hope it wins Shooter of the Year over something boring like a lot of the more mainstream / dudebro shooters that typically do.

I get you have a hardon against Nintendo, but Sony and MS didn't even try this year. Trying to say that their games just aren't even serious entries into the gaming world is nothing short of ridiculous.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:51 pm

If Splatoon wins Shooter over Battlefront 3, I will kill somebody.

If Battlefront 3 doesn't win, I call bullshit.

Halo 5 will win. Calling it now. Calling bullshit now.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Of course Halo 5 will win, and there's no guarantee that Battlefront 3 will be good.  That's just the hype and nostalgia talking.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:17 am

I forgot about Battlefront 3.

I've just been assuming that it's going to be canceled because it's a game people want.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:14 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Of course Halo 5 will win, and there's no guarantee that Battlefront 3 will be good.  That's just the hype and nostalgia talking.
DICE, when given time, don't make anything sub-par. And they've had at least two years.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:45 pm

I know this, but I still wouldn't put all my DICE in one hat.

@Pirate: Just because it's a game people want, doesn't mean it'll be a good one.  Nuts and Bolts anyone?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:33 pm

the same could be said for Halo 5, give how average 4 was.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:54 am

You know Halo is gonna get a outrageous score and win awards it shouldn't win, because it's Halo.  Like how OoC betrayed everything LoZ was, but for some reason it's cool because it's a Zelda.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:19 am

OoC? 

OoT is Ocarina of Time.
OoA is Oracle of Ages.
OoS is Oracle of Seasons.
C really isn't even close to T, A, or S. There's a wall of D and X between it and the latter two.

I Googled OoC, and someone on Yahoo said it stood for the Japanese version of OoT. But the Japanese name is "Zeruda no Densetsu: Toki no Okarina." So if somehow that became OoC (especially off because the letter C doesn't exist in the Japanese language), then someone is illiterate. A dude on a forum also called it OoC, and they just ignored it and called it OoT.

So... why OoC? O' of Carina?

I'm not really trying to make fun of you. I legitimately want to know how it became OoC.

Also, if you really think it "betrayed everything Zelda was," you're daft.
Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 are so far different from every other Zelda they really aren't comparable. Sure, the GBA games had some sidescrolling like 2. Sur, the new U game is going to have open world elements like the first game. And yeah, the 2D Zeldas have a similar playstyle to the first.

But OoT just brought the game into 3D. Really nothing changed in the way the game was played. LttP set the foundation for what and how 2D Zeldas were to play. OoT did the same thing for 3D Zeldas. It took a lot of general ideas and principles, and converted them into a format suitable for the N64 (as well as the future of gaming). 

Hating OoT for changing up Zelda is like hating Mario 64 for changing up Mario.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:08 pm

OoT was, if anything, a rip-off of LttP, the most Zelda Zelda game. That's what LttP fans say about OoT consistently. Most other people then fall in the "GOAT" or "overrated" territory. Never heard anyone say it betrayed the Zelda mechanics.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Egoraptor did in sequalitis. he was rightfully shit on for it. the arguments he used were biased. he criticized some things in OoT which he later gave praise to in LttP and the original LoZ. he also teamed up two games on one!

So yeah, thats probably where Ana got that from.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:28 pm

It wasn't "LttP is better than OoT." His argument was more "Zelda 1 is the best Zelda, and also, I hate 3D Zeldas"

Zelda 1 is a confusing mess with no direction whatsoever. Yeah, it suits the era, but I think the concept of trying figure it the fuck out is stupid, and did not age well whatsoever. He needed a guide to play it.

The way I figure it, if your two options for being able to just play a game to beat it are using a guide or stumbling around like a drunkard throwing random items at random objects with no rhyme or reason for dozens of hours, then the game is nothing short of masochistic. 

...I hate Zelda 1 immensely. For the record, I've beaten it, Zelda 2, every 3D Zelda, Link's Awakening, 4 Swords Anniversary, and both Oracles games.

Anyway, I feel like Zelda U has a good shot of winning best action / adventure game or whatever next year.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:10 am

Uncharted has Best Action locked, guaranteed. Even if Zelda wins GotY (decent chance knowing the series' history), Uncharted will deservedly take Best Action. The only way it doesn't is a 50/50 shot if Uncharted DOES win GotY, because of the usual wealth spreading that happens.

Zelda will at least lock GameSpot's for sure. Actually, no. Xenoblade X could steal the spotlight there too!
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:27 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:Egoraptor did in sequalitis. he was rightfully shit on for it. the arguments he used were biased. he criticized some things in OoT which he later gave praise to in LttP and the original LoZ. he also teamed up two games on one!

So yeah, thats probably where Ana got that from.
egoraptor usually has really shitty opinions for any games past the NES era remember his complaint of classic dante "hes not realistic enough" hes also kindof an asshat on twitter sometimes but who isnt nowadays.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top