Nintendo Direct Tomorrow (November 5)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nintendo Direct Tomorrow (November 5)

Post by DP on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:13 pm

It's apparently covering all the games up to Spring 2015. So we should get solid dates for Yoshi and Kirby, maybe Splatoon and Mario Maker as well.

Edit: Xenoblade's director's wife retweeted the announcement. She apparently has only done that whenever his work is involved. Expect some info on X.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Nintendo Direct Tomorrow (November 5)

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 pm

I feel like Duck Hunt Dog is getting his trailer at the end, too.

He's last up for Smash, and I don't think Smash U is getting another dedicated Direct. I mean, unless they're announcing DLC characters or something.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:23 pm

I haven't watched the Direct yet. I'll say one thing. 

Majora's Mask 3D. 

I lied. Two things. 

2015 shall be glorious. 

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS

Edit:

Okay, so a decent Direct. MK8 DLC looks glorious, they're genuinely trying to make sure most amiibos are compatible with most games, Kirby doesn't look completely awful, Xenoblade looks to compete with Uncharted for GotY if they can get it out next year, no Yoshi for some reason, etc.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:49 pm

More ports.  RE HD is the last port I'm gonna care about. :/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:02 am

It's literally the most requested port of the past two years. It had about as much support as localizing Xenoblade. Not exactly "oh no, another port" material.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:48 am

They should have waited longer, or did this sooner when the market wasn't as port crazy.  I have no intention of picking this up unless I somehow get it for free.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:15 am

Yes lets not make the most requested port on the most owned current gen console because its going to face competition.  what

Never run a  Buisness Ana. it will not be a good venture for you. If you feel that stuff like REHD will impact or threaten this glorious piece of software in the slightest you need to get a better market sense.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:18 am

Why would they delay a finished game that people want to avoid being locked in with other ports? Better yet, why wasn't this an issue for you three years ago when Sony was REALLY milking it? Ratchet, Jak, Sly, God of War THREE times, Team Ico, Killzone, two exclusive AC collections, inFAMOUS, Resistance, and that's not even counting the exclusive Konami ones like MGS. All in the span of the last few years. How is it just now an issue, conveniently after the fastest-ever HD remake launches as a GotY Edition to a barely year-old game (with Sony now releasing a GotY Edition for it on PS3)? Not to mention it's just before the most comprehensive, and frankly impressive HD remastering hits the competing console with Halo: MCC. That's a pretty unfair jump to take at a pretty convenient moment. 

Besides, it comes out no earlier than four months from now, more likely than not six or so. That'd be around 15 years after it originally came out, and it lines up well after the portstravaganza is over (interestingly, like how WWHD missed the portstravaganza by a few months - go figure).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 am

Also it's Zelda. Its gonna be bought more than pretty much every other port (like the last two were.) Except maybe mcc
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:35 am

Fuck. I just read something that really bummed me out. 

In the European Direct, Kirby is listed as Q3/4 2015. It's hitting shelves in the US in February. Nintendo of Europe wouldn't delay an easy-to-localize game by five or six months for no reason, unless they knew they needed to pad that area like with Captain Toad. They'd only need to pad if a game was getting delayed to 2016. Zelda is hitting in 2015, there's no way Nintendo will let it slip to 2016, even if they have to divert all their resources into it. What other game is at risk for delay? 

Considering Iwata said they're "aiming for" a late 2015 release, my money is that Xenoblade X won't hit shelves bar a miracle. That leaves the 2015 lineup something like:

Jan: Yoshi? (I'm expecting a Direct next month dedicated to it, that's the only reason a finished game wouldn't be referenced.)
Feb: Kirby
March: Splatoon
April: Mario Party 10
May: Mario Maker (this could get bumped to summer though, but I doubt it sinking past June).
June: One of Miyamoto's pet projects
July: Mario vs. DK
August: The other irrelevant Miyamoto game
September: Devil's Third
October: Star Fox
November: Animal Crossing. It's gonna happen. No reason for MK8 DLC otherwise. 
December: Zelda

The only month really without a definite launch is January, because of Toad hitting in Europe then. With EAD1 (AKA Galaxy team) having worked on something months before Captain Toad and during Captain Toad, maybe we see a surprise 3D Mario pushed out next year. We also probably have Diddy Kong Racing 2, sadly. And Retro's next game. And SMTxFE. But I'd expect all four of those 2016. They'll all be at E3, that's for sure. Either way we're looking at a pretty good 2015, so long as Star Fox doesn't slip to 2016 (and I doubt Miyamoto would let it). They really need to land with every game in the second half to make up for losing Xenoblade, which I'm all but positive will happen. Xenoblade head to head with FFXV in 2016 is a dangerous fight, too, which makes me wonder if they'll divert resources to helping finalize Xenoblade early.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:01 pm

I didn't mention anything about competition, I merely said only one person can take so many ports and REHD is the only I'm gong to care about for a couple of years.  No more ports of REHD, I'm only looking at new games from there on.  But, even then if you wanted to mention competition the original Resident Evil is by far a better game than Majora's Mask.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:07 pm

DP wrote:Fuck. I just read something that really bummed me out. 

In the European Direct, Kirby is listed as Q3/4 2015. It's hitting shelves in the US in February. Nintendo of Europe wouldn't delay an easy-to-localize game by five or six months for no reason, unless they knew they needed to pad that area like with Captain Toad. They'd only need to pad if a game was getting delayed to 2016. Zelda is hitting in 2015, there's no way Nintendo will let it slip to 2016, even if they have to divert all their resources into it. What other game is at risk for delay? 

Considering Iwata said they're "aiming for" a late 2015 release, my money is that Xenoblade X won't hit shelves bar a miracle. That leaves the 2015 lineup something like:

Jan: Yoshi? (I'm expecting a Direct next month dedicated to it, that's the only reason a finished game wouldn't be referenced.)
Feb: Kirby
March: Splatoon
April: Mario Party 10
May: Mario Maker (this could get bumped to summer though, but I doubt it sinking past June).
June: One of Miyamoto's pet projects
July: Mario vs. DK
August: The other irrelevant Miyamoto game
September: Devil's Third
October: Star Fox
November: Animal Crossing. It's gonna happen. No reason for MK8 DLC otherwise. 
December: Zelda

The only month really without a definite launch is January, because of Toad hitting in Europe then. With EAD1 (AKA Galaxy team) having worked on something months before Captain Toad and during Captain Toad, maybe we see a surprise 3D Mario pushed out next year. We also probably have Diddy Kong Racing 2, sadly. And Retro's next game. And SMTxFE. But I'd expect all four of those 2016. They'll all be at E3, that's for sure. Either way we're looking at a pretty good 2015, so long as Star Fox doesn't slip to 2016 (and I doubt Miyamoto would let it). They really need to land with every game in the second half to make up for losing Xenoblade, which I'm all but positive will happen. Xenoblade head to head with FFXV in 2016 is a dangerous fight, too, which makes me wonder if they'll divert resources to helping finalize Xenoblade early.
Looking at this, I can see Nintendo only has around three things that matter.  Games like the Devil's Third and Splatoon are gonna be flops and the fact that people are even getting worked up about something a trash looking as Splatoon is hilarious.  I never knew that you could take a shooter and paintball and make it into one big joke.  Sony definitely will have a much more eventful 2015 than Nintendo, or Microsoft.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Sony only has three games for 2015. And The Order. Zing!

Being in first place comes with a down side. It's already become clear that Sony doesn't care about putting out its best work possible. It's just riding the hype train to victory. Which is dangerous when Microsoft is showing a hunger I've never seen from them before. 

Plus, Splatoon is, for some reason, getting a lot of love from critics. It's getting a Portal vibe from many. I hate Portal, but we all know how that turned out for Valve. Devil's Third isn't supposed to do much either. There's a such thing as games that exist to be games. It won't sell like hotcakes, but it's meant to be there as an option for people to fill time. Sort of like Bloodborne - Demon's Souls 4 just meant to hold fans over until Demon's Souls 5. Most people don't give a shit about Demon's Souls games, just look at the sales. Plus, look at the PS4 attach rates - having slightly better hardware and what you think to be better software hasn't done much for the exclusives. Which is ironic since Sony used to pride itself on exclusives and now Microsoft is coming close to passing them on exclusive content. 

(On that subject, Sony really fucked up in pushing solely for Destiny adverts. Microsoft has the adverts for CoD AND AC, which is most of what casual fans care about.)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm talking more than sales, I'm talking the terms of quality of exclusives and 3rd-party titles.  Sony's console exclusives consist of games are Uncharted, Bloodbourne, The Order, No Man's Sky, Persona 5, Until Dawn, Silent Hills (as it stands), etc.  Then the 3rd-party consists of Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield: Hardline, The Witcher, etc.  Nintendo and Microsoft would have pray for a miracle that they can out do Sony in 2015.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Halo 5 alone cancels either Uncharted or the other three lol. Then there's an exclusive Tomb Raider and likely a Banjo game if hints are to be believed. And since parity is in effect for every third party game, you're getting the same experience on either console, except one company constantly updates the console and the other takes a full year for one, whose key feature doesn't even work on some games. (Shareplay doesn't work on CoD, it's disabled by default, which poses a threat to the whole goal of the program.)

Nintendo doesn't have third parties, you're correct. Nobody expects it to - it was never a primary console contender this gen. Using that argument to discredit Nintendo's showing is like bundling the Kinect with every XBO sold since launch and saying the XBO is too expensive to compete: outdated and untrue. Fact is, the Wii U alone has as many games coming out as either competitor next year, and it's running without a safety net of third parties. YOUR opinion of these games doesn't factor in when we're talking about quality overall, as your opinions often stray from the norm. The general consensus is that one of Sony's main four games is gonna be awful as a game (The Order), and somehow Splatoon is getting nothing but praise from anybody who doesn't have an irrational hatred of cartoony graphics. Including third parties, that leaves Sony with about eight options left for the year. Nintendo has got at least eleven others. If we count real games and not two of the Miyamoto projects, it evens out lol. 

Now let's let this thread track back to Nintendo's Direct.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:50 pm

I expect that Uncharted and Halo will match sell for sell, other then that Microsoft doesn't have whole lot.  Sony usually doesn't cash in on one title, everything is spread out which is why they have high hardware sells.

I highly doubt The Order will be anything less than spectacular and in recent years game critics haven't been ones for good games.  I mean, just lack at The Evil Within and how underrated it is despite being one of the best releases of the year.  I expect that Splatoon will be a massive let down like X.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:35 pm

You expect an entirely cinematic game with subpar gunplay and developers who have been quoted as saying "well, we had to make gameplay at SOME point" to be better than the sequel to one of the two good JRPGs last gen?

I'm not the only one reading this, right?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:42 pm

i loved the stuff featured in the direct this is gonna be a good year.
also ana how can you saw the order will be good when we know nothing about it, whereas IMO spatoon and X both look promising (btw the evil within was awful generic and generally not scary at all)

also kindof unrelated but i find it funny that after both M$ and Sony bragged about how powerful their consoles were and how everything would be 1080p 60fps this gen. now all the AAA pubs are backtracking after realizing that 1080p 60fps is hard so we are hearing excuses and excuses about why they cant make their games 1080p 60fps. meanwhile Nintendo has been pumping out lots of 1080p 60fps on the underpowered console of the gen.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:43 pm

At no point do I feel like the creation of Uncharted sacrificed gameplay with great level design and spectacular gun play.  And, this is a different game, not the game that was one of two good JRPG's.  So, yes.  I do expect an stellar game franchise in Uncharted to out do a potential flop.

dragonfire111i loved the stuff featured in the direct this is gonna be a good year.
also ana how can you saw the order will be good when we know nothing about it, whereas IMO spatoon and X both look promising (btw the evil within was awful generic and generally not scary at all)

also kindof unrelated but i find it funny that after both M$ and Sony bragged about how powerful their consoles were and how everything would be 1080p 60fps this gen. now all the AAA pubs are backtracking after realizing that 1080p 60fps is hard so we are hearing excuses and excuses about why they cant make their games 1080p 60fps. meanwhile Nintendo has been pumping out lots of 1080p 60fps on the underpowered console of the gen.

Are you sure you're playing the same game and not Amnesia, Outlast, or Slender?  If you're playing any of those other games that isn't The Evil Within, that claim makes sense.

This should have been expected when developers were talking about pushing the number of polygons they can use.  Let me know when the Wii-U boasts the same number of polygons as Killzone per-character and number of characters on screen and then you have an argument.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I didn't mention anything about competition, I merely said only one person can take so many ports and REHD is the only I'm gong to care about for a couple of years.  No more ports of REHD, I'm only looking at new games from there on.  But, even then if you wanted to mention competition the original Resident Evil is by far a better game than Majora's Mask.

Congrats you are one of two people who think that. RE is a good game but its no Majoras Mask, partially because Survival Horror is naturally a poor genre anyway, bar a couple of exceptions. then again thats my opinion, the above is yours so please stop sprouting em as fact. 

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I expect that Uncharted and Halo will match sell for sell, other then that Microsoft doesn't have whole lot.  Sony usually doesn't cash in on one title, everything is spread out which is why they have high hardware sells.

I highly doubt The Order will be anything less than spectacular and in recent years game critics haven't been ones for good games.  I mean, just lack at The Evil Within and how underrated it is despite being one of the best releases of the year.  I expect that Splatoon will be a massive let down like X.

You really need to learn to take an unbiased perspective. Halo is more accessible and even more main stream than UC. while the games will be of similar quality, Halo will outsell it.

While i will admit Sony has a better line up than Soft for next year, its not by much, given how poor the Order looks, being done by Ready at Dawn and Sony Santa Monica, who's recent efforts have been...less than stellar, it doesn't show alot of promise. Also your opinion on Evil Within is very much in the minority. i'm not going to comment one way or another, cause i have no experience with it, but even the biggest survival horror buffs i know say its VERY poor. its sad when a $5 game and a Demo (Freddies and PT) provide a much better SH experience (I know your an aspiring designer too, for the love of god don't shit on Freddies cause of its publicity. its overrated but its fricken brilliant from a design perspective). I dunno about X but given everything we have heard, i doubt it'll be a letdown, and for your own sake do not say that elsewhere or you will be ripped apart. I don't know or care about Splatoon. 

The way i see it, Sony and Microsoft ain't bring much big out next year (No Man's Sky looks cool, the Ratchet movie tie in, KI season 2, Banjo maybe? and Tomb Raider, as well as the previously mentioned exclusives uc and Halo.) and Nintendo are killing it for the second year in a row, and its about time with how awful they have been since late Gamecube.  on the other hand,  Nintendo have no third parties, where as Sony and Microsoft are cornering the market, with no real advantage one way or another. 

If you wanna look at just Sony v Soft exclusive, Microsoft wins. taking out remakes Etc, its only Infamous vs Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Forza and something i'm forgetting. Both have disappointments, Like Knack, Driveclub and Titanfall. but Sony are playing catch up n terms of quality and are bringing less out next year that looks half way promising.

DP wrote:You expect an entirely cinematic game with subpar gunplay and developers who have been quoted as saying "well, we had to make gameplay at SOME point" to be better than the sequel to one of the two good JRPGs last gen?

I'm not the only one reading this, right?

He thought Beyond was a good game. nuff said. 

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
At no point do I feel like the creation of Uncharted sacrificed gameplay with great level design and spectacular gun play.  And, this is a different game, not the game that was one of two good JRPG's.  So, yes.  I do expect an stellar game franchise in Uncharted to out do a potential flop.

Are you sure you're playing the same game and not Amnesia, Outlast, or Slender?  If you're playing any of those other games that isn't The Evil Within, that claim makes sense.

This should have been expected when developers were talking about pushing the number of polygons they can use.  Let me know when the Wii-U boasts the same number of polygons as Killzone per-character and number of characters on screen and then you have an argument

I love Uncharted. they leave me with a smile on my face whenever i play it. but the Gun play is atrocious,  in fact the gameplay as a whole is just a bit above average. that said its the atmosphere that makes these games so special. and its still better than TLoU. As for X, the same could be said for any sequel. given just how good Xenoblade was, i'm kinda expecting it'll be good. The Game was that good. its rare for an RPG to drop that much between entries instantaneously, unless its Final Fantasy. 

Okay i'll agree with Slender in a way, well designed but it gets predictable fast, but Amnesia and Outlast are decent games. then again, as i said, Survival Horror is mostly a poor genre, especially lately. The Evil Within epitomizes the generic crap this genre, produces, at least according to the buffs i know.

If this turns into another Stylized vs Polygons topic ima lock the thread somehow and i ain't even a mod.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Whoa, don't put words in my mouth about Uncharted. You said the Order would be nothing short of spectacular. I pointed out that almost everybody who's played it has said otherwise. Uncharted 4, while it will disappoint due to TLoU's studio taking over in probably the only recorded coup in gaming history, will still be excellent. Never doubt my stance on Uncharted. 

And considering diminishing returns have already made an impact, polygon counts don't matter once you hit a thousand or so. Legitimately. I can try and find the picture again if you don't believe me. Killzone is the exact game that shows that polygon count has if anything HURT Sony's games more than helped them. Same with Knack, actually. Pretty much every PS exclusive through 2015 shows that having insane polygon counts hurts gameplay (only TLoU: R and Uncharted 4 are 1080p/60fps, and the former has an option to drop to 30 for better visuals).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:46 pm

Most of PS4's lineup is a lot of cinema-first-gameplay-later, which I was never a fan of. In fact, I hate that mindset. Believe it or not, DP is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more accepting of that sort of experience than I am. He supported The Walking Dead game for GotY, while I myself can not do that.

Granted, that game is built solely for the story in which the story WAS the gameplay as opposed to being a story with some unrelated gameplay, but it's still not my cup of tea. Fantastic as it may have been it terms of visualization, storytelling, etc, I still see it as basically an adult choose-your-own-adventure book that you select with a controller instead of pages.

So thinking of it that way, I should be more willing to accept things like TLOU, right? I mean, it at least had a more "gaming" sort of substance to it. Yet after playing it, I simply cannot be excited for games with this mindset.

Not just because the gunplay was sub-par (note that I'm not saying it was god awful or anything, just sub-par), but also because the pride and hype behind the story feel short, and I didn't even go in expecting a masterpiece. I went in objectively, and I still came out with faux pas by the barrel. The ending, especially, was terrible. The morals behind it, the themes, everything was just off, an the entire adventure was hollow. Ultimately, the game was unable to complete its mission of revolutionizing gaming into a perfect, cinematic art form.

Because games had been "art" before that while not having mediocre gameplay. And the fact that that game has so much influence is jarring, because now every game and its mother is going for the same effect. 

So I just can't get into most of the PS4's heavy hitters. Most everything else is an Indie game, which has never really been my style, since most of them are either incredibly short and simplistic flashgames focused on one cool mechanic (which also describes Portal and a lot of Steam games, btw), focus too much on being beautiful or artistic, or are just remakes of retro games with no added flavor. Very few Indie games have captured my attention, like Shovel Knight. Which I'd recommend Sony try to convince Yacht Club to port.

Anyway, on topic, I initially wasn't interested in Splatoon because it felt like a Valve (or Valve-ish) game to me. It has the same vibe I get from Team Fortress, Mirror's Edge, etc due to the colors / designs / graphics and the focus on the odd mechanic, without a very "Nintendo gimmick" feeling. But it's growing on me. It looks really fun.

Captain Toad looks like a fantastic throwaway game. Again, a lot like games like Portal, but this one definitely has a distinctly Nintendo feel. Still not interested in Codename: Steam, though.

The Amiibo feature is just looking better and better to me. They're making it work across a lot of their games, and I love that, because it makes it so worth buying. New weapons for Link and Zelda (plus random other stuff for other Amiibos) in HW, costumes in Mario Kart 8, AND all the functions they have for Smash? That's only three games right now, but you can bet it's going to work for tons and tons more. Like, a Shulk Amiibo giving the Monado in X would be amazing. New Starfox getting a bonus level or something from the Fox or Falco Amiibos? Unique Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina units in a new Fire Emblem game? What if buying Amiibos could even unlock Virtual Console games, like buying Duckhunt Dog's giving buyers a free version of Duck Hunt? 

Amiibo possibilities are incredible. Nintendo took the Skylanders model-whoring idea, then made it insanely functional. Of course, people are still fanny-flustered and think it's a ripoff like every other time Ninty's done DLC of an sort, but every time I can tell it was done well (Mario Tennis, MK8, Hyrule Warriors, free Bayo with Bayo 2, F2P games like Rusty's Baseball and Steel Diver, etc), and all this stuff with Amiibo is fantastic. This is honestly the most hype stuff of the Direct, because the possibilities are huge.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:09 pm

I believe you're thinking of Mario Golf, not Tennis. 

I'm just wondering when they'll announce the Amiibo game. It's gonna happen, and it's gonna explode the Internet when it does.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:30 pm

Yeah, Mario Golf.

An Amiibo game is basically Smash Bros at this point in time. But having a Skylanders / Disney Infinity thing... that would be insane.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:46 pm

ah the amiibos some look really cool and some ...
look links got butter stuck to his leg
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top