Game of the Year Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Game of the Year Discussion

Post by DP on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Was just thinking about it, and I don't see Destiny hitting above a 92 on Metacritic (unless there's a bombshell Bungie's hidden from us). I love Bungie but I don't see them getting this one, unless there really isn't competition.

So let's open up some discussion, pre-Domeys, as to what you think might win.

Titanfall is an option, as is Watch Dogs, but I doubt either come close. MK8 has a shot, but I doubt that too. Smash? Maybe, very possibly the only chance they'll ever have of winning one in that series. Shovel Knight COULD shock the world; it's gotten nothing but love from everyone on the Web. Halo Remastered and TLoU both can't win by default. Walking Dead 2 could but from what I've heard it's very good, but not GotY this time.

So what do you guys think? Personally, I vote Xenoblade. That game should've won GotY each year it came out lol (2010 in Japan, 2011 in EU, 2012 in US)
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Game of the Year Discussion

Post by Doqtor Kirby on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:56 pm

inb4someobscuregamegetsGOTY
Doqtor Kirby
You Gotta Believe!
You Gotta Believe!

View user profile http://dr.k.ax.lt/

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:04 pm

TLOU Remastered.

No, but in serious, I'm rooting for Shovel Knight. I mean, I love Smash more than 99.9999999999% of other series and I'll defend most every dumb decision Sakurai can make, but it's really not a GotY type game. Neither is Mario Kart 8.

Now, I feel weird saying that, because generally I would (and have, and still do) prefer these games to other GotY nominations, and truthfully, I believe them to be better games a lot of the time. But I don't think "Game of the Year" actually means "best game that came out during the year." Well, I do, but I'll explain that in a few paragraphs.

It mostly means whichever game made the biggest splash and had the most effect on the gaming world, or the world outside of gaming, no matter if the hype was deserved or not. 

And while I'm trying to come up with a good tie in to reference TLOU for that statement, I'm having trouble coming up with a pun or joke about it because most of the game wasn't really memorable or unique. The best I got is giraffes (which was cool if random), so yeah. Giraffes.

Back on topic, though, SK is what I believe to be most deserving. It took cues from older games and perfected them. Crowd-funded and being updated with future, free DLC, it's honestly just the epitome of what an indy game SHOULD be. I expect Mighty no. 9 to potentially be able to match it inn many regards, but right now with the info drought... idk.

What I think makes the game truly deserve "game of the year" is that it's really just focused on the game. The story is alright, and while predictable, the interaction with Shield and Black Knights at the end was surprisingly heartfelt, which is pretty impressive considering the medium. But again, that's really not the point. It should be game of the year because it was the most "game" out of all the contenders.

Which is opposed to say, Walking Dead, which I'm of course not trying to rag on. That game won for being an incredible cinematic experience as well as an emotional masterpiece, or at least that's what I gather from talking to DP. Which is alright, but Shovel Knight really exemplifies what I consider the GotY-- for going in really the exact opposite approach and doing it just as well. It just happens that SK fits my gaming preferences better.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top