Sony announces Xperia Z3 phone, it has remote play for PS4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sony announces Xperia Z3 phone, it has remote play for PS4

Post by DP on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:14 pm

http://gizmodo.com/sony-xperia-z3-will-let-you-remote-play-ps4-games-1630036758

And just like that, Sony's officially killed off the Vita. Such a beautiful little handheld. Poor thing never had a chance.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sony announces Xperia Z3 phone, it has remote play for PS4

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 am

My manager at work loves his Vita. Has been trying to get me to buy one for years. I can't wait to break the news to him.

YAY
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:57 pm

even if its only for danganronpa and P4G i feel my vita was worth it
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doqtor Kirby on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 pm

I think it would be a debate on which device would be better, as the Vita DOES have it's own games (at least I think).
Doqtor Kirby
You Gotta Believe!
You Gotta Believe!

View user profile http://dr.k.ax.lt/

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I agree with IE (Kirby) lol

I love my Vita and the games that it has. Would I love some more games like Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Killzone, Soul Sacrifice, BOZ and stuff like that. HELL YEAH! But my Vita's been awesome. I doubt Sony would kill the Vita!

Last edited by 0CTAVE on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm not trying to be a Vita hater or anything, and I'm glad you like yours, but Sony has certainly been letting the Vita die. The library is incredibly niche, and is mostly anime games geared to weeaboos. Now, I loves me ma' Japan and whatever, but most of those games are just way beyond me, you know?

There are some great games like Gravity Rush, but generally, the system doesn't haven't enough appeal for most gamers. And instead of addressing that, Sony hasn't done anything about it. And I'm speaking as a lover of both niche games AND anime games.

Now take its competition, the 3DS, which prints money. It started rough, but it really took off when games like Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Uprising, etc came onto it. Games with more widespread appeal, and fantastic games in their own right. And the list of good games has piled up.

Now, to give fairness, because even if he's banned, I feel like throwing out their in the spirit of Anaconda, Nintendo's kind of done a lot of dumb stuff with the Wii U, and gives the 3DS more great titles rather than building up the Wii U's library. Which I still find solid and getting better all the time, but you get my point.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm

No, it's done. Sony has been prepping this for a while. It's sad because the Vita is a fantastic machine, but it was too powerful for its own good. Yoshida has said there are no plans for first party support, all the big exclusives are either coming to PS4 or will be playable soon on the cheaper PlayStation TV, and now the selling factor that Sony's used for the Vita is coming to their phone line. 

The Vita has its own games, but there won't be many more that you can't play better somewhere else. It's a glorious JRPG machine, and in Japan it's still performing surprisingly decently, but it's been drier than the Wii U since Tearaway last year, and at least as dry for a year before that. 

I really believed in the Vita. It's infinitely superior to the (Old) 3DS. But in my belief I forgot how important the power factor can be in this modern generation. Yes, the Vita is a small PS3, but that also means people expect PS3 experiences. To make those experiences costs money, and while Sony was willing to from the bill for a year or so, no third party studio in its right mind would take a leap on the Vita; those studios could just stay on 3DS and make several games for the same cost, and those games are much more likely to return the investment. And the studios can't port 3DS games as is, because those won't sell because they don't live up to the mini-PS3 expectation most fans have. Extra Credits did a thing on this issue. Why take the risk for no reward?

There was a turning point for me during my discussions with lpool about how pathetic the U was and how I truly believed in the Vita; it came right around the time we started seeing Nintendo change its strategy while still supporting the U. Meanwhile, Sony sat there and (understandably) let the Vita suffer, hoping Remote Play and the PS4 would make the Vita work for consumers. And, as we've seen, it hasn't. PS4 sales are on pace to be the GOAT (I doubt it'll actually get there but it'll be the only one topping 100m this gen), and the Vita is tracking below the goddamn XBO. So now we're at that point that Sony has to focus on something that CAN turn a profit, and considering the Xperia Z line is well renowned even as a relative newcomer (popping up only last year), it's a much better option while they send the Vita the way of the Vaio PC line. 

And I own an Xperia Z for the record, and am upgrading to the Z3 the day it comes out. Sony hasn't understood the handheld market since around 2009 - if it weren't for MH, I don't even know if the PSP would've made it far enough to get a sequel - but hot damn they're really on point with the mobile market.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Doqtor Kirby on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 pm

And just like that, Nintendo once again has no competition in the handheld department.
Doqtor Kirby
You Gotta Believe!
You Gotta Believe!

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:04 am

Too bad even they're getting smashed by tablets lol.

It's quite sad, really. At the same time there's always going to be a place for a $40 portable Mario game, and that place can't conceivably be iTunes, so I doubt we'll see handhelds drop for another decade/generation or so. 

I'm curious who's gonna step up to fill Sony's gap. Sure as hell won't be Microsoft, I doubt Valve is dumb enough to try AGAIN at a market that doesn't care about it, so who else?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Doqtor Kirby on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:13 am

Sega?

Nah.
Doqtor Kirby
You Gotta Believe!
You Gotta Believe!

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:25 am

No one.as before Nintendo has and will have no competition. If you want to make a handheld, you gotta have games that can compete with Pokemon, Mario(Kart) and even a Zelda (but honestly mostly Pokemon) and nobody can do that.

3ds 3rd party support is also nigh non-existent. It thrives on first party alone and Sony won't commit to that.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:41 am

I wouldn't say it's nonexistent. Unless you're ignoring shovelware. Then yeah. Oh god yeah.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:15 am

Calling it now. It's time for Wonderswan's big comeback.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:55 pm

You know something is wrong if SAO is the most anticipated Vita title.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:43 pm

I haven't looked into the game myself, but I heard it's like Ninja Storm tier shallow.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:49 pm

im dissapointed noone seems to care about danganronpa 2 which just came out 2 days ago.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top