The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:53 pm

So, this thing's been going on for awhile, where the challenged must either donated $100 to ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease) research, or get dunked on by an ice bucket. Naturally, there's not really any way to force somebody to to either of these things, but still. But if somebody high profile ignores it, generally, they'll probably be met with backlash from fans and stuff. Additionally, getting ice bucketed doesn't mean you can't donate, and $100 isn't the maximum or minimum if you want to give money.

I know, chances are everybody on this board already knows all that. Talkshow celebrities, musicians, comedians, and basically everyone else has already done it. But there's no topic on it here, and I think it's a pretty interesting thing to discuss.

Now, what spurred me to make the topic was GameGrumps doing it-- Arin, Danny, Ross (the Boss), Barry, and Suzy all did it and donated $1,000 each. They were challenged by Markiplier, who I never watched prior but has one of the most soothing voices I've ever heard. I watched that video, which was touching if a little cliche, and he donated $2,000. And I'm sure others that he challenged and tons of other Youtubers have done the same. I think it's pretty cool how unifying this challenge is, as potentially dangerous and dumb as it may be. I mean the ice buckets, not the donating, of course.

So. What's everyone's thoughts on it? Think the ratio of ice bucketing vs donating works out well? Think getting the word out is work enough? Who are some of your favorite people that have done it? Have you done it?
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Post by Count Mario on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:13 pm

My dad this is yesterday, and had me record it. Thought it was stupid when he brought up doing it, and I still maintain that opinion today.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm

It's gotten $23 million in donations now. It's a fad, but one that has pushed people who WOULD donate to do so.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Piratemankelly wrote:Markiplier, who I never watched prior but has one of the most soothing voices I've ever heard
i know right he has a great voice doesnt he
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:10 pm

I got nominated twice...so i did it twice!  haha

In all seriousness though, I think it's a fantastic idea.  It's main goal is to spread awareness so, regardless of whether or not you think it's the greatest thing ever or the dumbest thing ever, as long as you've heard about it, it's done it's job flawlessly.

Quite a few notable people have done it too.  Mark Zuckerburg did it and challenged Bill Gates who also did it (both donated as well).  Charlie Sheen did it, donated $10,000, and challenged all of the other actors on Two and a Half Men.  Chris Hemsworth did it, donated, and challenged all of the other Avengers actors.  President Bush did it, donated, and challenged President Clinton.  Even Ronald McDonald did it, donated, and challenged every other redhead who watched the video to do it haha
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Wow. That's pretty awesome.

I don't know if Clinton will do it. But I can say with near certainty that any challenge to the sitting President will not be met, since you could get hypothermia or pneumonia and the Secret Service probably wouldn't allow Obama to take that risk. I mean, especially not after ole' Tippecanoe...
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Obama already donated when challenged by the Kennedy family.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Lol I actually did this and donated money as well.
I'm used to cold water though since thats what I use to shower after I come from the gym so it didn't bug me! :P
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:37 pm

I've been recently nominated. It's gonna be freezing but I'll do it. Now I just need a camera...
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:53 pm

yeah i just got nominated. yay...
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star