Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
lpool1996moh wrote:...not really. after playing it, its VERY Meh. It has a ton of flaws on the gameplay standpoint, its EXTREMELY flawed. on the story standpoint its average. thematically its average, a generic Zombie thing (Oh yay a cure...yay) BUT Admittedly the characters are above masterful. but i would prefer Uncharteds characters they are more memorable. actually Uncharted is by far a superior game. it wasn't GoTY, its not fun. you know like games should be! 

Still not saying GTA 5 was GoTY either, because it was ALSO overhyped.
It's not about the plot, it's about the journey, topped with some great gameplay.

DP wrote:If you can't respond I don't think you have a response, which feeds back into my whole point. I've asked dozens at this point and nobody has explicitly given me a reason why TLoU is so spectacular.

And if twenty minutes of linear "exploring" followed by five of clunky combat, for 12 hours, is perfect game design, I think I'm done with Naughty Dog games after Uncharted 4.
Trust me, the ignorance and near shear stupidity in your post of saying it's average is all that's needed.  It's easily laughed off as simple and very mindless rabble of someone that has bad taste in things.
Ok amazing gameplay is a stretch. It's average at every genre it tackles.

And honestly, the journey really? You hardly see unique settings, the combat doesn't change and the story doesn't drive you forward. It comes SOLELY down to the character, which while masterful, DOES NOT make a game GoTY. which is sad as I want to like this game, the writer in me wants to love this game, SOLELY for the characters...but I can't, the game designer in me won't let me.

As for you r response to DP...please back that statement up. I mean DP is right. Brushing off a statement generally means you have no reply. And he did describe the game pretty well. You explore and converse for 20 minutes, then it realizes wait i'm a game for five 

TLoU is honestly in the wrong medium....but the movie could be amazing.
avatar
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh
Posts : 7891
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Real_Radec13 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I'm not really gonna respond, rather I'm just gonna say that average doesn't even describe how EPIC The Last of Us is.  If there was ever a time for perfect game design, this is it.

Agreed 100%
avatar
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86
Posts : 300
Join date : 2012-08-27
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:53 pm

I've explained in detail before my opinion. I'd absolutely love to have an intelligent discussion about why you guys like it besides "because it's perfect." If all you can do is say "you're shtoopid," it shows the extent of your love for the game. There's a whole discussion about it where several of us give lengthy reasons why we don't find it to be GotY. It's probably second or third (that depends on my replay whether it tops Infinite), but in every way it's outplayed by GTA - there's deeper themes, a more interesting/less generic story, more replay value, etc., and I haven't even counted the multiplayers of either. 

Radec, at least YOU can elaborate, I'm sure. I expect closed-minded drivel from Vice, but I've seen open discussion from you before. 

It's almost an undebatable point that TLoU can't be GOAT after only a year of digestion. It took at least a few years before OoT/FFVII started those talks.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm

From my perspective I'd give GoTY to infinite. Not only that but if it came out around the same time as TLoU it would have beaten it. 

GTAV is good, but honestly a bit generic outside Trevor...although Trevor is a generic psycho, but psycho's can't be generic. Michael s story can be found to some degree in a heist movie, Franklin's in a good movie and Trevor...actually is just odd.

GTA was too big and open compared to last of us being to linear. It has similar problems, just to a much lesser degree. Bioshock didn't have that multiple genre problem, it was a shooter. It certainly wasn't generic. The characters were amazing, it made you think, played well, it was stylized beautifully so, the character s were amazing and the pacing was good, going from slow to fast quickly. I loved that game.

It's not my GoTY, that's X/Y or Rising, but of the "big 3" last year its my winner.
avatar
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh
Posts : 7891
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 pm

DP wrote:I've explained in detail before my opinion. I'd absolutely love to have an intelligent discussion about why you guys like it besides "because it's perfect." If all you can do is say "you're shtoopid," it shows the extent of your love for the game. There's a whole discussion about it where several of us give lengthy reasons why we don't find it to be GotY. It's probably second or third (that depends on my replay whether it tops Infinite), but in every way it's outplayed by GTA - there's deeper themes, a more interesting/less generic story, more replay value, etc., and I haven't even counted the multiplayers of either. 

Radec, at least YOU can elaborate, I'm sure. I expect closed-minded drivel from Vice, but I've seen open discussion from you before. 

It's almost an undebatable point that TLoU can't be GOAT after only a year of digestion. It took at least a few years before OoT/FFVII started those talks.
I like lengthy discussion too, but I feel like an idiot trying to explain the obvious.

That's because, those games aren't as good as The Last of Us.  Personally, I would say that OoT is too high for the list and that A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds should take it's spot.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:22 pm

If TLoU was made by Nintendo or Microsoft you'd be calling it overrated and overhyped. The only "obvious" thing here is that herd mentality is strong if you can't form a coherent argument here. I'm more than open to changing my mind here, legitimately. I just need to hear WHY. I need one objective reason besides the characters, which I've admitted are the high point.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

I do agree with one thing you've said Vice. LttP is better than OoT. However OoT was more ground breaking. LBW isn't better though.

But MM trumps all, just saying.
avatar
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh
Posts : 7891
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:45 pm

DP wrote:If TLoU was made by Nintendo or Microsoft you'd be calling it overrated and overhyped. The only "obvious" thing here is that herd mentality is strong if you can't form a coherent argument here. I'm more than open to changing my mind here, legitimately. I just need to hear WHY. I need one objective reason besides the characters, which I've admitted are the high point.
If Nintendo made it, the game wouldn't be what it is now.  Naughty Dog is the only team that can make a game this good, and if Microsoft owned it.  Everything would be exploding, there would be assault rifles around every corner, and Ellie would be a hologram that leads Joel along the way.  Sounds familiar to something that sucks.  Anyway, that gladly isn't the case here.  If anyone is closed minded, it's you.  So far, only the open minded have given this game the praise it deserves.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:58 pm

That explains why I waited an entire year to avoid the hype train and give it a FAIR review, why I've BEGGED for discussion about it, and why I bought it new to give ND the money it deserved for the game. You keep making my point by putting ND on a pedestal and insulting anybody that's not ND or a ND superfan. I've played so little of UC2/3 and yet I consider them some of the better games of the generation. I consider Jak 3 one of the better games of the 6th gen. But yes, I'm entirely biased and closed minded because I can give feedback about a game's flaws.

If you can't hold a serious discussion, just get out. Of the forum, not just the discussion. This seems not be a trend of yours, to give biased/borderline troll posts.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:59 pm

...wut. Vice that made no sense. For one Nintendo have Been behind so many industry changing games, dating back to before Sony even began to make games. They could come out with something good. He'll in many people's eyes they've come out with better like Ocarina or Lttp (MM!), Mario 64 (GENRE DEFINING, NO IT MADE A GENRE FOR 3D PLATFORMERS, THE GENRE THAT GAVE SONY A FOOT HOLD.) or something like Xenoblade. If soft made it...It would suck but not cause it's a Halo clone. Besides Halo doesn't suck. It's an fps with a decent plot with out sacrificing mp or mechanics, it's more fun than what Sony offers by a fair margin. Soft just can't make good games outside Halo (even then H4 sucked ass.)
Not dignifying that closeminded statement with an answer cause the irony there is unreal. But just answer the posted question.

Why? Why is the last of us good. Why is the average TPS, Average (therefore better than all in genre since Re4) Survival Horror and Average Stealth gameplay perfect. It's not, it's beyond frustrating. Why is this average game the best game of all time, when it will, WILL be outdated in 2 years tops, when something else does it better. I'm being especially hard on it cause TWD game hits the same tropes better.
avatar
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh
Posts : 7891
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Real_Radec13 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:21 am

DP wrote:I've explained in detail before my opinion. I'd absolutely love to have an intelligent discussion about why you guys like it besides "because it's perfect." If all you can do is say "you're shtoopid," it shows the extent of your love for the game. There's a whole discussion about it where several of us give lengthy reasons why we don't find it to be GotY. It's probably second or third (that depends on my replay whether it tops Infinite), but in every way it's outplayed by GTA - there's deeper themes, a more interesting/less generic story, more replay value, etc., and I haven't even counted the multiplayers of either. 

Radec, at least YOU can elaborate, I'm sure. I expect closed-minded drivel from Vice, but I've seen open discussion from you before. 

It's almost an undebatable point that TLoU can't be GOAT after only a year of digestion. It took at least a few years before OoT/FFVII started those talks.

I'll probably come up with another lengthy post about why I think TLoU is an amazing game all around. But after putting hours and hours and hours into GTA 5 I can say that game is not a better game than TLoU.


I bought GTA the week it came out like many other people and played it everyday until like 2 am every night. When online came in I played a while when it was not broken. After a while GTA 5 became the game where I put in to mess around (The thing that GTA does great obviously) and I put more and more time into it. I just want to clarify that I think GTA 5 is a spectacular game, just like TLoU. I do not think the story in GTA 5 is great, at all. The Last of Us tells such a great story that makes you care even more about the characters and what they are going through. GTA 5 probably has the least memorable cast of characters in any characters. Franklin and Michael are boring. Trevor is just terrible (I kinda like him only because hes Canadian lol) and all the side characters are even worse. The story just did not do it for me at all and all the other stories in GTA are clearly superior because they were awesome and complex but it had the cast of characters that made it even better.

Theres so much more I want to write but that requires more time and I'm packing for my flight but when I get back I promise I'll get into more detail.


P.S. TLoU multiplayer is fucking awesome
avatar
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86
Posts : 300
Join date : 2012-08-27
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:07 am

Prelude: Yes, it's long. Anybody interested in discussion should read it though, keeping in mind I do get a bit carried away which leads to harsher tone as I go on. Any TL;DRs show me you're not interested in discussing opinions, and that you should be led away from the threat as a whole. And this comment does NOT portray my overall opinion of ND or their games. I wholeheartedly believe Uncharted 2 and 3 deserved GotY having barely played either. This is purely TLoU.

See, I didn't care about Joel or Ellie. If you couldn't tell, SPOILERS FOLLOW, so you've been warned. As a double measure, SPOILERS FOR THE WALKING DEAD SHOW, GAME, COMICS, AND ANYTHING ELSE WALKING DEAD RELATED. SPOILERS FOR GTAV, AND POSSIBLY BIOSHOCK INFINITE AND MASS EFFECT 1-3. 

Ellie is a pretty good character, but is a trite one among media nowadays. The initially-rebellious, angsty teen who swears way too much is a trope at this point. That said I like her more than Joel because she is MUCH more dynamic than he is as a character. Joel starts the game as a stubborn older guy who is so selfish when it comes to change. That's understandable because his daughter died to this outbreak (indirectly). That doesn't mean I haven't seen so many of this character before. You know who else is stubborn to change and selfish? Kenny from TWD S1. Rick from TWD show for a good chunk of seasons 2 and 3. Shane from the TV show. Hershel in season 2. Dale in the comic. Govsies in the show. Daryl throughout. Abraham Ford in both thus far. The entire group throughout season 3. I can go on in just the TWD universe. Rick lost his wife and got triple stubborn, Govsies has broken down since his daughter was re-killed by Michonne. Shane lost his morality to the plague, doing whatever needed to survive. Same with Govsies, and later Rick. Hershel loses his faith in God for a while because of the changes. But each of these characters is dynamic. Govsies even becomes a GOOD character before his relapse. 

But Joel? He's JUST another stubborn dude. He hates Ellie all the way until the end of Summer, treating her as cargo. Then he suddenly develops with her over plot-convenient timeskip to Fall, but only after they head to the University of Colorado. Then by Winter he loves her like a daughter. And in Spring he goes apeshit and, like Govsies, relapses into stubborn at the thought of losing her to cure this plague. So he kills a bunch of seemingly-good people to save his new daughter from possibly saving the world. No thought into what she wants, or that she KNEW she'd die to save humanity, no. He doesn't give a shit if it means losing her. So he kills the Queen Firefly (name escaping me because she's not important) and takes her back to Tommy's safe zone. And there, what do we get? Ellie putting full trust into Joel, and him lying to her face. THAT does not make a deep character alone. Facing tough moral choices is nonexistent in this game. You kill hundreds of people without a second thought, assuming they're in your way. No thought of moral consequence as advertised; in fact, EVERY human enemy is objectively horrible from Summer up until Spring. The only morally grey humans are the military, who are even at that portrayed as evil and anti-public. Why am I supposed to care that I killed a few hundred dudes? They're all dicks. You know a moral dilemma? Who to feed in TWD Ep 2. Ten people are going to starve, so who do you give that apple slice and cheese stick? Or the moral dilemma of killing Larry to ensure the group survival and thus alienating Lily, or siding with her and forcing Kenny to hate you for risking the lives of others. Or maybe forcing Kenny to kill a young walker who looks like Duck. I felt like a shitty person after most choices in TWD, because I cared about every character. I remember Lily's name over a year later despite her being a cunt. I'm struggling right now to remember the names of those two black siblings. Why? Because they're plot advancement. They're a parallel to Joel and Ellie that shows what can go wrong. I don't even remember the most memorable non-Tess side character in the game, who I just refer to as Nolan North. 

I liked Ellie only because she was charming. I don't particularly care about Joel at all. His shit standard aim doesn't help me connect with somebody supposedly well-adapted to the apocalypse, and a gun smuggler at that. And I sure as hell don't connect with his utter lack of character development. They're two good characters on paper who are thrown into an overplayed, summer movie plot. And the endinf? That shows this perfectly to me. Like GTA V's Ending C, it left me wanting. Canonizing an ending isn't worth choosing an ambiguous one just because it's easy. You don't write because it's easy, you write because it's sometimes hard. Sometimes you have to be definitive, and if you're not gonna be, then make it a player choice. And sure as HELL don't shoehorn in a single mention of upcoming DLC as part of your ending. The game has dynamic/several dialogue choices that play, so maybe I just SOMEHOW never got a Riley reference, but THAT doesn't make sense to me. How am I supposed to care about Ellie's sob story at the END of the game? She should've mentioned Riley during that argument with Joel, not a year into their companionship. 

I would've honestly preferred Drake to Joel in this kind of game. Somebody who could crack a joke OCCASIONALLY, and not just leave the game as a mishmash of zombie tropes with some bad humans mixed in. Just to make me care about the characters more, and to make them more than stubborn dad and angsty daughter. I cared more about Queen Firefly's end story than I did Joel's, because she sounded morally dilemma'd. She hated having to kill her best friend's daughter, but she knew it was for the best.

I've played through V twice, and I've played all three endings. The two not-appeasing endings are phenomenal. Trevor showing that despite Michael's traitorous ways, he was still loyal to his only friend, and Michael's horrified realization when Franklin betrays him are sold so well. I was upset when I played that ending, because Michael finally saw just how horrible he was to Trevor, at the best point in his otherwise miserable life. And if you kill Trevor, Michael shows that he's still the same guy he was years prior, only this time he's trying to convince himself and Franklin that "it had to be done." Michael falling and Trevor burning symbolized both of their lives beautifully, and despite your regret you couldn't change your mind halfway through: You've gotta live with it. It's the RDR ending taken a step further. If TLoU had an ending choice where you killed or saved Ellie, I think it would have been miles better than some vague middle finger to the promised concept of moral dilemma. BioShock Infinite played with a "choice" ending by making sure you HAD no choice, and tied that in thematically. Mass Effect had a fantastic story arc about the illusion of choice versus destiny that in my opinion ended in SO well a way that it intentionally pissed off millions of people; BioWare used indoctrination on all of the fans by making them think what they saw was exactly what happened. But TLoU? That's the story two people who go on a journey and end up doing nothing. You know what I call that? Harold and Kumar. 

Maybe I stretched my point a BIT to far with that last statement lol, but it's funny so I'll keep it. 

I WANT to love TLoU. But it's not even Troy Baker's most convincing role in 2013, let alone THE best lead character or all time. Ellie is the star of TLoU, just like Yuna was of FFX. But the game is about the dynamic, and Joel/Ellie don't go through nearly as much as Booker/Elizabeth or Lee/Clem. 

I will agree that TLoU is the game that embodies the 7th gen. Why? Because it's a casualized summer blockbuster story (like most seventh gen games) and little originality within gaming stories alone (like most seventh gen games), that functions as an average third person "shooter" (like most seventh gen games) that got a shoehorned multiplayer (like moth seventh gen games) with shovelware levels of DLC (like most seventh gen games), and that was beloved by millions of casual gamers because they were told by critics to like it (like most seventh gen games). Oh, and it got a half-hearted "definitive" edition solely for extra money (like most seventh gen games). The only original thing it did was add MORE shoehorned DLC AFTER said definitive edition launched, and that's not exactly a good thing.

Harsh? Yes, much harsher than I intended. Probably quite a bit harsher than is my actual opinion. But necessary? Oh god yes.

Oh, and for the record I didn't start either GTA's or TLoU's multiplayer until mid-2014. I did sit away from GTA V for about six months before replaying it, and that was before I played the Online. With all this in mind, both are competitively horrible messes that come down to who has the better shotgun. Difference is GTAO has a noncompetitive part. And I count GTAO as a separate entity from GTAV, like Rockstar does, so that has and has never had any bearing in my GotY stance from 2013.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Barely a mention of the sub-par gameplay beyond Joel's inexplicable shittiness at aiming. I'm impressed the depth on just the story progression and the "journey." 

I remember one of the black guys was Henry, and I think the guys you're talking about as "most memorable" was Bill... I think. I don't know, that might have been the crazy guy. Anyway, I actually really liked "Bill," because I picked up a lot of notes where he's reminding himself to set shit up. But when you leave him go, it's whatever. Even handing him the suicide note from his partner doesn't have much impact on his character.

Yeah, the game is far from perfect. To tell the truth, though, I also don't care for GTA V at all, but I'm sure if I gave it the same sitdown as I did GTA IV, I'd grow to like some of the characters liek I did with Roman and Packy. 

But I cannot play it. I hate Michael and especially Trevor, who is just a prick to everybody. The only character I like is Franklin, and I never liked the gangsta'-thug scene. But that's more personal, like why I never got far in Red Dead.

Edit: Oh, for the record, they did kind of mention why you should feel bad about killing all those people in Winter. When the Crazy Dude mentions all his guys having died to Joel and Ellie, she says they didn't have a choice, but he says neither did he. It was a pretty damn shallow attempt considering they never tried communicating first, and the people in question turned out to be incredibly terrible people. Then the crazy guy, who seemed like the only somewhat sympathetic one who I actually had a bit of a reason to care about, ended up just being crazy and trying to rape her.

Then he goes from a good character to a monster asshole bossfight that makes me feel nothing for killing. They sacrificed "sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive, even if it means killing good people" to "don't trust anybody," which is already well established. The whole first half of the Winter segment with him was good because it tried to break this trope, but then they messed it all up. They undid their good writing.


Which is also what they did with the ending. Choosing would've been perfect, would've added replay value (not that this is one of those games with heavy foreshadowing that requires a second playthrough to fully appreciate, like Infinite does), but it pisses me off that they went with the bullshit route instead of the hard decision.

Now, in their credit, they illustrated that conflict with Michelle's (I think that's her name; Queen Firefly) notes and stuff, but why not, you know, actually do it? Then there would've been an actual emotional response. At the en of the game, forced as it was, by then Joel and Ellie had a solid relationship built. That pain of having to sacrifice her would be insanely emotional. It'd clear up the fact that the rest of the story, pacing, theming, etc was all mediocre. It'd be VERY powerful.

But instead, generic action movie ending, kill a ton of good people (which the only glaze the fact that Joel should feel bad about), save girl instead of the world. If they were going for an ending to intentionally piss people off like Mass Effect's, which, while I don't like or agree with it, actually has a logical backing, they succeeded, except there was no real payoff to it.


I can understand the obvious DLC plug. Or rather, I would IF they had foreshadowed it. Really, not hard to do. Maybe a scene of Ellie mentioning her name while sleeping. Telling the black kid she reminds him of someone. Like DP said, something in that argument about loss with Joel. But no, absolutely NOTHING.


How people consider it a masterpiece is beyond me. It's a good skeleton of a great story. It has the foundation, but it needs to be built, because even the high point of the characters isn't too great because of bad developmental pacing and basic elements of tropes mixed with Ellen Page and... an old guy.



Overall, the game is predictable, has meh at best themes, a rushed story, meiocre gameplay, generic action sequences (oh no, going through a door, hope nobody tackles me and tries to choke me / stab me / drown me / through me over a ledge), and a terrible ending.

Have to say though, that twist at the end of Fall was alright, but really breaks immersion. I mean, it's not like one man killing hundreds of dudes solo, being terrible at aiming, invisible companions (to enemies), way-too-scripted fights and acts, etc doesn't do that already.


For the record, the saddest I got during the game was when the horse died.
avatar
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Posts : 532
Join date : 2013-03-01
Age : 21
Location : Easton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:52 pm

It wasn't Bill, no. It I remember Bill. It was Winter main enemy guy. Voiced by Nolan North.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:01 am

You guys barely remember the game, did you sleep through the cut-scenes?  Bill is the guy in-town that's crazy and David is the guy voiced by, Nolan North.  Now, you can see how hard it is to take your arguments against the game serious and you barely even remember the game you played.  Which might as well have not even played it at all and watched a couple of trailers.  Even I remember the games that I played whether they were bad, or good, or I just plain didn't like them regardless of quality.  Yet, you claimed to have played it, but can't even remember the most memorable game of 2013.  To conclude your opinion of The Last of Us you're being hipsters and it's gotta stop.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by papertoonz on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 am

okay i like last of us alot but this isn't the time for that

vice is either one of the most dumbest people i have found or just a troll

i'm hoping he's a troll cause yeah
avatar
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever
Posts : 2636
Join date : 2012-08-29
Age : 22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by DP on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Lol, I'm gonna go ahead and suspend my whole "if you don't have a somewhat deep response, get out" comment for a minute. You can check my PS history. I've played somewhere around 20-30 multiplayer matches and beaten the campaign on Hard. Going by the fact that you yourself agreed that GTA was GotY until TLoU started winning, I don't think you're in the right place to be making claims. 

Henry and Sam are irrelevant - oh no thematic parallels that are obviously gonna dje. Bill's irrelevant - they go nowhere with him being gay, and decide to keep him as a total dick instead of giving him possible developmenf. Tess is practically irrelevant - Joel doesn't really give two shits about her in the story until she tells him to take Ellie. David is fantastic but that's Nolan North's performance upstaging ND's average movie writing. If the whole game either had North as a main character or played like Winter did, I could see the praise. (God, Winter is fantastic.) And interestingly, Winter is the only section where you DON'T spend the majority of your time "exploring" a linear environment to mask the game's depth. It's all tense, like TWD game's memorable sections were - and if you can make me tense, you're doing it right. That's pseudo-exploring filler the same reason the middle of Infinite is the worst third of the game, and why Skyward Sword fails to be the best 3D Zelda to me despite having been the best in every other way. 

That all said, I'm gonna go ahead and point out that I don't believe you've played the game. Your responses are always vague attempts to kiss Naughty Dog's golden ass, and outside of supposed knowing David's name (a name mentioned maybe two to three times in the story and), you've shown no deeper knowledge of the game, its themes, or anything otherwise. Despite my not playing this game according to you I've printed out several counters to your every comment about the game. The only logical course of action is to see if you actually have played the game. Let's see your proof, m8. Or are you just going to continue to make unfounded comments that serve only to try and piss people off? If it's the latter, I think Paper's right.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

course papers right, its a bit of column A a bit of column B.  Noc Vice has proven time and time again to have heavily skewed, unfounded views that are idiotic and sprouts them at random moments and defends them religiously to piss people off. theres my psychoanalysis for the day

remembering the name of a character is hardly important. theres times where i've quoted a character yet not remembered his/her name until much later where i shout the name out at an inopportune moment getting strange looks. no different to what happened here.
avatar
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh
Posts : 7891
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 21
Location : Ireland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

DP wrote:Lol, I'm gonna go ahead and suspend my whole "if you don't have a somewhat deep response, get out" comment for a minute. You can check my PS history. I've played somewhere around 20-30 multiplayer matches and beaten the campaign on Hard. Going by the fact that you yourself agreed that GTA was GotY until TLoU started winning, I don't think you're in the right place to be making claims. 

Henry and Sam are irrelevant - oh no thematic parallels that are obviously gonna dje. Bill's irrelevant - they go nowhere with him being gay, and decide to keep him as a total dick instead of giving him possible developmenf. Tess is practically irrelevant - Joel doesn't really give two shits about her in the story until she tells him to take Ellie. David is fantastic but that's Nolan North's performance upstaging ND's average movie writing. If the whole game either had North as a main character or played like Winter did, I could see the praise. (God, Winter is fantastic.) And interestingly, Winter is the only section where you DON'T spend the majority of your time "exploring" a linear environment to mask the game's depth. It's all tense, like TWD game's memorable sections were - and if you can make me tense, you're doing it right. That's pseudo-exploring filler the same reason the middle of Infinite is the worst third of the game, and why Skyward Sword fails to be the best 3D Zelda to me despite having been the best in every other way. 

That all said, I'm gonna go ahead and point out that I don't believe you've played the game. Your responses are always vague attempts to kiss Naughty Dog's golden ass, and outside of supposed knowing David's name (a name mentioned maybe two to three times in the story and), you've shown no deeper knowledge of the game, its themes, or anything otherwise. Despite my not playing this game according to you I've printed out several counters to your every comment about the game. The only logical course of action is to see if you actually have played the game. Let's see your proof, m8. Or are you just going to continue to make unfounded comments that serve only to try and piss people off? If it's the latter, I think Paper's right.
I didn't get to play The Last of Us until it started winning.  I didn't have an HD tv, and refused to play The Last of Us in SD and however did not care what visual GTA V was in.  I'm gonna be honest though, you trash every company that isn't Nintendo.  You make seem like you enjoy it.  I'm very surprised that you aren't hyping up the fact that Nintendo got the biggest bump in pre-order numbers for software.  However, I would hope somewhere you aren't because you realized that the bump doesn't mean much considering they had the lowest pre-oder number.  And, my proof is that at the end of the game, Joel kills Marlene to protect Ellie.  Or, Tess reveals that she has been infected and demands that Joel take Ellie to get a cure to hopefully make sure Joel never ends up like her.  Although, she was hoping to get a cure as soon as they met up with the fireflies in the capital building.  However, the Fireflies are dead, Tess doesn't get a cure, then gives her life to protect Joel and Ellie so they can hopefully get the cure.  How about that boss fight with David when you're playing as Ellie, and Ellie kills him with a machete.  More like slaughter though.  I don't like to look up spoilers for games I wanna play by the way.  Now here's the real treat, I'd rater be banned than go one more post arguing with in ignorant closet Nintendo fanboy admin that should be revoked of adminship.  I take shit from no one, and I'll continue that streak.  If not for yourself, but for me.  Next time you read a post of mine, pretend like you're someone that's fucking off.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:16 pm

i find it highly ironic when anaconda/noc calls other people fanboys
avatar
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111
Posts : 3443
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 25
Location : Everywhere yet Nowhere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Are you kidding me? He hasn't really started praising Nintendo until we first played Wind Waker HD at our friend's house. Before that he was, for the most part, for Sony.

It just happens to be that Nintendo has been making a lot great choices since then, as well as some bad ones, which DP is quick to criticize. 


If you really think DP bashes anyone that isn't Nintendo, then I'm inclined to believe you've never payed attention to anything he's ever said. 

He fucking loves GTA and Rockstar, Fallout: NV especially, but the whole Fallout series in general, he grew up on PS2 and Ratchet and Clank is his favorite game series ever, and in this thread alone he's praised Naughty Dog and the Uncharted franchise.


If anything, you'd be more close to describing me with "only loves Nintendo" generalization, because I don't care about almost any Sony series that isn't Sly Cooper. But even then I still have some favorites outside of them.



All that aside, your rant had absolutely zero cohesion and no real organization, and you didn't really make any point other than vaguely saying some plot details about the game.

You attempted to at least defend the game, I suppose, but you really didn't show a great understanding of it, or even said why those moments you mentioned were good. We all acknowledged them, and in our opinions, they weren't handled well, or were even the correct sequence of events.


Look, our opinions on the story are just that. It wouldn't be an easy thing to convince us to change our minds about its handling, the writing, etc, but not because we're Nintendo fanboys. No, it's because you aren't actually making any sort of compelling argument about it, just ranting and calling us fanboys when it's clear who matches that title better.


In any case, I don't believe it to be worth the time to continue this. You're set in your belief and won't shake ours with your, uh, "argument," which I chuckle typing. This is a standstill, it seems, with the opposition clearly outnumbering yours with better equipment overlooking you from the top of a hill at every side. But, for the sake of keeping your unnecessary anger in check, I propose a halt, at least from me.

Good day, sir.
avatar
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Posts : 532
Join date : 2013-03-01
Age : 21
Location : Easton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 pm

For once listen to the words I say.  There is no game I have played more than World of Warcraft, there is no system other than Nintendo I have owned the most games on.  There is no time like the present, I am a gamer.  DP is a fanboy.  End of story.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:36 pm

Once again, I listen, but you say absolutely nothing. 

And once again once again, as in a "once again" inception, I'll take my leave from this discussion.
avatar
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Posts : 532
Join date : 2013-03-01
Age : 21
Location : Easton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by BigBox on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:39 pm

I will also take me leave from this discussion, I don't have time for a million tl;dr posts.  Get to the point, or shut up.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:54 pm

lol
avatar
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

Posts : 532
Join date : 2013-03-01
Age : 21
Location : Easton, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Magazine's Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum