Miyamoto doesn't think Nintendo knows what cool is

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Miyamoto doesn't think Nintendo knows what cool is

Post by DP on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/miyamoto-for-a-lot-of-us-at-nintendo-it-s-difficult-to-decide-what-cool-is/1100-6420809/

In what will become the most widely misquoted statement of 2014, Miyamoto said that Nintendo has problems with how to be cool. And frankly, he's right. 

In related Miyamoto news (he's picking back up now that Iwata is recovering from surgery), he asked Kotaku EXACTLY what fans wanted them to make, as a way for them to list priorities. Metroid Prime 4 was the clear winner, and because of that I am 100% confident that Prime 4 will be out by 2015's end
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Miyamoto doesn't think Nintendo knows what cool is

Post by BigBox on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree with this, but try early 2016 for Metroid Prime 4.  Nintendo doesn't want to compete with CoD, and just about everyone else doesn't as well.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 pm

i still remember what miyamato did to sticker star so i dont think he really knows either sadly
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 pm

If one reads the article, one will see that he spins that concept of cool into meaning, more or less, dudebro/super serious games. So I don't see how Sticker Star is relevant to that definition in regards to that series

And Metroid Prime 3 launched three days before CoD4, and had great success. The two series don't exactly share a fanbase.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:40 pm

Despite both being FPSs, the two games really don't share a target audience.

Anyway, Prime 4 being the most wanted isn't surprising, although I think Gen 3 remakes would have definitely topped it if it wasn't already a thing.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:43 pm

However, not the success that it could of had.  It did sell 1.77 million units, however there was no one place where it was able to sell 1 million units.  As we can see that was trumped by, CoD MW 1 in 2007 which sold 17.81 million units.  The audience doesn't have to be the same, all that matters is that they're competing for the same market.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:26 pm

And you know perfectly well that those are two completely incomparable figures. The Wii didn't share much overlap with the PS360 crowd, and the bit that did own both a Wii and one of the other two were usually hardcore gamers that would probably have bought Prime 3 anyway. You should've compared CoD on the Wii to Prime if you were looking for an accurate comparison. CoD3 was a Wii launch title and sold only slightly more than Prime 3 did a year later. CoD's sales in general are a false approximation of the shooter market as a VAST portion of its fanbase are casual fans who follow herd mentality to play with friends; look at any other shooter (besides the growing Battlefield competition, which has the same type of herd fanbase), and you'll see numbers that at best break 4 million. And not counting Halo, breaking even two is tough  

Metroid Prime is also IIRC the highest-selling game in the Prime series (Primer 1 may have beaten it by a bit as a GC launch game) and the third highest selling Metroid. So the argument of "it could've done better" is pretty much moot because really, no it couldn't have.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 pm

That's some really twisted damage control, I must say.  Just take it as fact that Nintendo would do best to no launch another game with CoD.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:04 am

Vice, if you legitimately think that the Wii and PS360 shared a large audience, you're dumber than we all thought. Look at EVERY Wii game's sales besides the bundled games: If they're above a few million they're probably Mario. The core-audience titles line up around 4 million max, and more niche franchises like Metroid max at two. There was a crossover of maybe 10 million Wii users to PS360 ones. And of those 10 million, no more than five million bought into the smaller, non-Mario franchises. Look at any article on the Wii's attach rate for evidence of this. 

A better comparison would've been Halo, as 3 launched the same month and sold much better. And it was exclusive. But even then, it's tough to have an accurate comparison of an exclusive to a multiplat game, especially on a console as unique (in terms of fanbase) as the Wii.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 am

According to it's install base, it should have done better.  This is the first MW we're talking about, so there is no "we're tired of CoD" talk yet.  This is when the current CoD we know today was a fresh concept.  Which means there is no talk of, "different target audience" because innovations pulled the Metroid fans to CoD.  Metroid got wrecked by, Call of Duty and Nintendo has since then been hesitant to release next to CoD.  Mario Kart 8 won't hold a candle to CoD in the Holiday rush and All of Nintendo's big hitters are going to release early to mid 2015.  To once again avoid competition with, Call of Duty.  I know you claim not to be a fanboy, but you are without a doubt a fanboy.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 am

Yes, I'm a fanboy for using the unanimous consensus about the Wii's horrible attach rate to point to sales comparisons. I, the one who acknowledges other companies' success, owns three seventh gen consoles, counts the Wii U as a seventh gen console (lol), and whose favorite franchises are consistently exclusive to non-Nintendo companies. I, the person who did daily threads about a PlayStation game for two months. I, the formerly highest-ranking player on Halo: Reach. I am the fanboy here, because I just LOVE Nintendo despite my hatred for the GameCube and Wii consoles. 

Let's completely disregard the fact that I gave you a more fair comparison to use, and the fact that Metroid has never sold well. Let's continue to avoid the horrible attach rate of core Nintendo IP during the Wii era. Let's disregard that there are only a handful of Wii exclusives that sold more than Prime did. Let's even forget that Nintendo has only once pushed a game back to avoid a holiday launch, and the game still bombed regardless (coincidentally, it was also a Retro Studios game that launched earlier this year). Let's forget the fact that I've never played a Metroid game before this month, because the all-seer of gaming knowledge and neutrality has declared me a fanboy. 

Five years ago, I was the same kind of person you are. Ask Pirate. If you called that person a fanboy, you'd've been banned by now. I've gained a shit ton of tolerance since then as seen by your existence on the forum, and have become a better gamer because of it. I'd say it's your turn to do the same. So stop trying to pull a rise out of me so you can cry to Slayer about how I abused my powers or something. Not that anybody here would argue my decision were I to take any administrative action; I was the only one that felt bad when I had to ban your fellow Lightning/MGS/Sony enthusiast Noc, who was coincidentally banned a week before your account was made. 

I insulted you first here. I apologize for that. But do NOT give me any more of a reason to compare you to Noc
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:20 pm

at this point im pretty sure he is Noc he has the same opinions=facts problem and his posts are usually worded very similar to how noc did.
also ana i find it very ironic when you call other people fanboys.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am

Can we sticky this topic? I wanna be able to find that post when I'm retired, it's so funny
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:34 pm

which post?
you could just quote a part of it in your sig
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland