Sonic is officially split between American and Japanese versions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sonic is officially split between American and Japanese versions

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:29 pm

I don't have a link for you, but Sega has come out and said that they're going to split Sonic up. The US Sonic eill appeal to little kids and the younger audience, and change genres more. Japanese Sonic will appeal to older series fans; allegedly this means we don't have to have abortions like Lost World plaguing Modern Sonic anymore.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sonic is officially split between American and Japanese versions

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:26 pm

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrEpic on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm

MrEpic
PACL Champion
PACL Champion

PSN : MrEpic1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 pm

Um, do you mean that Sonic Boom is going to be a separate series from the main franchise (which was already obvious to begin with since Boom is being developed in the US by Big Red Button and has been confirmed as not being a reboot several times, and thus means that more games like Sonic Lost World could be made, to your dismay), that Classic and Modern Sonic are going to have their own series, or something else? Because the latter doesn't even make sense since every game, even Lost World, was Japanese developed, so you can't really define a Sonic games as being US/Japan segregated. And even then, why hasn't this news hit any major Sonic or gaming websites yet? Not that I ever doubt you DP, just need further clarification.

And I still like Lost World. Also, I find it extremely unlikely that Sonic Team's going to stop using "gimmicks", in which I personally encourage them to do since I've liked every Sonic game since Colors, and arguably even the Werehog in Unleashed (a hell of a lot more than the automated QTE-centric Need for Speed, I mean, Daytime stages). But that's just my opinion getting in the way.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:53 pm

From what I understand, it's not just Sonic Boom, but an entire separation between development from here on out. I don't know if that clarifies or not lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 pm

That barely even makes sense though. That would mean an entirely new team in the US has to handle game development from now on. Or Dimps. Ew, Dimps. I need to see it to believe it. Or at least comprehend it.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 am

I wouldn't doubt either scenario lol. Or just Standard I'd the 3DS version of Boom goes well
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 am

I'm definitely not getting this game now that I found at the U.S version is getting the short end of the stick.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:48 am

No, it's not that US is getting a bad game. It's like in Generations how we had Classic and Modern Sonic, but in different games. So we'll get "classic style" Sonic (2D-Generations) games made by Sonic Team, and the experimental games like Lost World, Storybook series, and Unleashed by a US team. Two different games made at the same time by two different teams. 

Though, don't get Boom regardless (on U). The 3DS version looks good but the U version looks pretty bad.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 am

I want the version that's more geared towards adults, so I consider that getting the short end of the stick because they're giving is the more child version.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:06 am

The closest Sonic game to being geared toward adults was Shadow the Hedgehog, which was geared towards brooding pre-teens. It's not like the series was ever more than a "kiddy" one anyway (outside of Adventure 2, the aforementioned Shadow, and 06, which all happen to feature Shadow as a protagonist); Count has the countless one-liners to substantiate that lol.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:23 am

Oh well, this is the same old song and dance with Nintendo of censoring content outside of Japan.  Which is why third-parties don't like making games for them.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 am

sonic is owned by sega not nintendo
the big N has no say in this
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Actually, I prefer the U version. I never cared for 2D Sonic, and while the beat-em-up thing doesn't match Sonic at all, I'll still enjoy it. Plus, they have Generations-esque speed sections.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:54 pm

dragonfire111 wrote:sonic is owned by sega not nintendo
the big N has no say in this
Nintendo has an exclusive partnership deal with SEGA for Sonic.  I'm 100% positive that something to that degree was in the fine print.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Then you're 100% wrong. Sega and Nintendo had a deal for three games: Lost World, Olympic Games, and another Sonic game of Sega's choosing. Sega has a cartoon in development which said game was based on. Sega has said before that the game idea was made after the show was decided on, and there was a year of gap between when the exclusivity deal was announced and when Sonic Boom was announced. It all lines up perfectly. And now we know that there will be an Eastern and Western separation between Sonic games, with actiony Western games (mea culpa on the kid comment, apparently it's just meant to be a genre shift, not an audience one outside of Boom), and more classic style Eastern ones. This is a Sega decision through and through, because they're splitting an entire franchise forever, not just on Nintendo platforms.

Edit: And Count, the decision was revealed months ago, actually. I only heard about it recently though http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5387184/why-sega-handed-sonic-over-to-western-studios-and-gave-him-a-scarf
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Um, DP, that article is just talking about Sonic Boom becoming its own series while the main series will still run parallel. NOTHING has changed here. At all. XD Meaning that we can still get risky romps like Lost World, with slight chance of classic-oriented titles (very doubtful) from Sonic Team. Sonic Boom isn't meant to be the first of its kind for US-centric Sonic games, it is meant to be the new franchise to be US-centric while Sonic Team will still continue the main franchise worldwide. It's very much akin to every new Mega Man series post-classic while that still continued, that's it, it's not something as major as a whole franchise split that I still don't think would make rational sense. There was no defined difference to begin with, and there still isn't. I would've heard something like what you're suggesting considering how I go to at least two Sonic-centric news sites/forums at least three-fours times a week.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:04 pm

They don't say Boom will become a series, they note that Boom is the first in a Western-focused series of Western-developed Sonic games. There's a key difference there. We all knew Boom would get more games, but we didn't know that US developers would continue an entire separate branch of the franchise even away from Boom.

The comment about Sonic Team not taking risks was a bit of bad wording on my part; knowing them we'll get those games too, but based on this wording it sounds like Japanese Sonic will stick to fast platforming rather than all the other paths it's taken in recent years. Who knows if they can even manage that though.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top