Capcom up for grabs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Capcom up for grabs

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:20 pm

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219300/Capcom_shareholders_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140616a.html

Capcom shareholders have opened up the possibility to pick it up. Foreign companies aren't allowed to buy Japanese ones by Japanese law, so Capcom could possibly be bought by Nintendo, Sony, Konami, Namco, or some other one.

Naturally, if Ninty or Sony bought them, they'd likely make a lot of Capcom's games exclusives, which could potentially be very bad for some (like Street Fighter). Alternatively, it could majorly boost sales. Of course, any prior partnerships and deals (Megaman in Smash, Dead Rising 3 and stuff for Xbax, etc) would have to be followed through.

This could be very good for whatever company or companies take them up. For instance, we could see a revival of the Megaman series under owners that give a crap about their product, but unfortunately, it's incredibly unlikely Comception (Keiji Inafune's Kickstarter) will be able to pick him back up and reunite him with his papa.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Capcom up for grabs

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 pm

im hoping nintendo gets them they actually seem to understand how popular classics work.

and before anaconda comes in im going to say that its highly unlikely for Sony to buy Capcom they still havent recovered from their problems last generation, and no resident evil is not enough for them to consider it.

though if i had to say what was most likely itd probably be some random third party company nobody knows about (its what happened to THQ)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:42 pm

As much as I would like Sony to snag them up, Nintendo seems logical.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:45 pm

Nintendo also has the most to lose if they dont go through with this.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:47 pm

The big worry with Nintendo getting them is A. the online situation and B. lower player base for popular games. Of course, Nintendo having these games would only help sell their console, but still. 

That said, them taking up the likes of Megaman, Monster Hunter, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, maybe toss in Darkstalkers, Ghosts and Goblins, Ace Attorney, etc, would all be great and fitting for a Nintendo console.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:32 am

Only two of those games are relevant, and one is practically Nintendo exclusive already anyway (MH). Mega-Man, as a youtuber known as The Great Clement noted, was cancelled because frankly, there is no market for Mega-Man. The guy loves the franchise, but he goes to great lengths to prove that MM fans have actually had it incredibly lucky the past decade. Yeah, a few games got canned recently, but as the later games showed, having too much of a good thing is a bad thing. I'm missing a lot of what he said so I recommend checking out that video; it changed my outlook on Capcom. 

That all in mind, neither console developer will buy more than a small stake. The other would just counter the bid to ensure that neither had the advantage with Capcom IP. I'd LOVE a Sony-developed Kingdoms of Amalur sequel (that game looked and sounded so good to me), but it won't happen. Namco is the best bet, but I don't know their financials so maybe even that is a stretch.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:27 am

no market for megaman? then why was the mighty no 9 kickstarter so successful
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:57 pm

I don't even know if its possible but I would love for Nintendo and Sony to divvy up the games.  Let Nintendo take megaman and viewtiful joe and let Sony take DMC and Monster Hunter (because an installment built from the ground up on ps4 would be the greatest thing ever)
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

The reason a lot of their games are forgotten are because Capcom let them die.

Okami has the reputation of being one of those games that come to mind when you think "video games as art," because it was a masterpiece of a series stylistically. Making another one may not be as huge as some other series (FF, MGS, etc), but it'd definitely be as big as a lot of more "cult" games. I'd put it somewhere around LBP, but a lot higher than say Bayonetta.

As for Darkstalkers, they haven't made a Darkstalkers game for a long time. It's a cult-classic, not as much as Okami of course, but it has a pretty decent sized following begging Capcom to make a new one instead of shitting out Street Fighter games all the time.

Viewiful Joe... okay, you got me there. It's a pretty irrelevant series, and a reboot or something likely wouldn't drum up too much excitement. Still, it'd probably be a pretty good eShop game.

As for Megaman, it'd sell well off nostalgia alone. Mighty no. 9's Kickstarter was kicking all kinds of ass because people wanted the blue-bomber back. The reaction people had from seeing him in Smash (well, maybe that was already so big because it was a new Smash Bros game announcement) was ridiculous. Like Viewtiful Joe-- and Darkstalkers, actually, it doesn't even really need to be a full game. Just make it a digital game.

In addition to that, bring any and every Megaman game ever to Wii U / 3DS. Put 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, X(all of them), the Legends series, the Battle Network series, etc or whatever combination of them to eShop, or make a new and updated Megaman Collection. Personally, I'd love an updated Megaman The Power Fighters (1 or 2) with the addition of playable Robot Masters and a Vs. mode, although I don't see that happening ever since it'd be like making an entirely new game.

Ace Attorney right now has that crossover with Professor Layton. It's not that big a series, mostly popular in Japan, and as far as I can tell it's mostly if not entirely Nintendo-exclusive anyway. You got me on Ghosts and Goblins, although I could see an updated remake a la Ducktales being pretty decent.

Still, when it comes to judging Capcom's games as "relevant," it's a little tough to be accurate. I'm sure nobody would've said "Dead Rising" was a relevant series, but for awhile it was (and might still be; haven't checked what's come out for awhile) the biggest reason to buy an Xbone atm.

TLDR; Generally, most of them would make fantastic eShop games that'd bolster Nintendo's digital library. Updated remakes would be pretty fantastic, too. Not too many, I'll concede, would be worth making a huge deal over for releasing physically, but there are a fair share of them.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Viewtiful Joe doesn't need a reboot as much as it needs an ending.  I LOVED the first one and the second one was pretty great too but it ended on a huge cliffhanger talking about a final challenge that would soon come...then they never made another one.  The series just needs some closure.
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:08 pm

The reason Mighty No. 9 was successful is because we haven't had a MM in years, not because MM has been incredibly popular. Raising a few million dollars isn't that tough on Kickstarter, let's be honest. Give any shitty idea good PR and it'll push millions: Look at Ouya. Let's see how many units it pushes when it launches, and I'll guarantee it validates my claim. 

The highest-selling MM was 1.5 million. We've had over fifty more games since that one. The franchise was popular on the NES, and X was popular for a bit on the SNES, but the franchise has sold 30 million copies in almost as many years, with over two games a year on average. Remember back when Capcom was an evil MM killer a few years ago, and they released MM9 and everybody declared them the kings of fanservice? MM fans LOVED Capcom. And then 10 did the same thing just a couple years later. Neither did particularly well, from what we can tell, but Capcom took the hit on them anyway. There is no mark on the franchise's head because Keiji left, as several of the cancelled games were in bad condition anyway (the  devteam did a terrible job, and it was exclusive to South Korea anyway, but fans bitched that Capcom hates MM regardless). Universe was in pre-alpha. The "MM Prime" game looked cool but it looked like a working demo. The only one close to completion was Legends 3, a game made for what was at the time a bombing console, from a franchise that is essentially niche.

There's not a market for MM the way fans want there to be. It can work as a download franchise, but that's it. And even as a download franchise, as Mn9 will show, it needs a much bigger fanbase to succeed due to the lower price of entry; I have full doubt that that game will be able to rely on the Kickstarter money to make what they've promised in the modern era. I'll buy the game, but I cant see them turning enough of a profit to stay open long enough for a sequel. In all likelihood, inafune will go back to Capcom in mid 2015 after Comcept closes, and we'll get MML3 in the end anyway.

Edit: Capcom's stock is up 2.5% today, so the open share did its job, it seems. Plus SFV was officially confirmed this week, right before this (Month-old) shareholder vote was revealed, so this seems to be all a plan to increase its market value. I CAN see Nintendo going into talks about an acquisition to try and boost popularity with the public, but no major name will buy a significant stock. As I said, Nintendo will block Sony and vice versa. Expect, if any sort of takeover happens, for it to be an unknown company like when Deep Silver bought Darksiders, Saint's Row, and Metro during the THQ bankruptcy.

Though for reference, Nintendo is up 1.5% too. Almost every Japanese game company is up today (Sony isn't because they still keep doing the awful TVs).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:22 pm

They announced SFV? How did I not hear about that?
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 pm

It was more of a "It's not gonna be pay to win" on twitter.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:24 am

It wouldn't matter if Sony bought Capom, prior commitments must be kept such as content agreements.  Since the agreement existed prior, all agreements must be up held.  The worst Sony could do is turn off the online servers on platforms other then their own.  On that note, it doesn't even have to to be a complete buy-out.  Any company could easily buy majority stocks in the company and have full control.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:39 am

There's a reason the last major acquisition by a console developer happened over a decade ago. Even buying a partial share is an accomplishment, because the other two companies (or any other party with an interest in the stock) will find a way to block the purchase. Business is way too political for any console maker to jump in and get even a sizeable share anymore. Not to mention it's not worth it in almost every instance; what would anybody REALLY have to gain from buying out Capcom? A loss you can't make up for with a return for a few years, and a bunch of decent-at-best (sales-wise) franchises that wouldn't push many people one way or another on console sales. The best reason would be to own SF, because that locks down the entire FGC on your console. But the FGC alone isn't enough to turn a profit on the huge up-front costs. The second-best reason is MH, but that's practically Nintendo exclusive as-is lol, so it'd be a non-factor for Nintendo, and a factor for them to make sure Sony doesn't get the chance at a buyout lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 am

In any case, the only two companies I see buying out are Namco-Bandai and Square-Enix.  I would use the argument that Square wouldn't go and spend money like that.  They seem to go and spend money like that just fine.  Because, I highly doubt LR and Murdered turned a profit.  

Edit: After doing some more doing, no one company can buyout Capcom.  And, can only buy majority stock to gain majority control.  Capcom isn't selling completely just yet, but they do have a lot of stock up for sell.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 am

Square's an interesting dark horse pick, but the only problem is that I don't see a company with revenue and yearly income than Capcom buying them. On paper one would think Square performs better (because, mostly, it does), but they're much less in the black than Capcom is on a yearly basis (we're talking hundred millions to double-digit billions in revenue, respectively).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:36 am

Like I said, they clearly don't mind blowing through money if their past two releases are any indication to that.  Especially Lightning Returns, even regardless of be a great game sold poorly and I highly doubt they made their money back.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 am

What I was saying was that Capcom has a higher net worth than Square.  It'd be impossible for the latter to buy more than a <10% stake in the former (the percentage itself is a very high guess, as a note).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:52 am

Well, since Capcom on the verge of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and Square isn't.  To Capcom at this point, any sell is a good sell.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:16 am

That whole "Capcom is failing thing" is somewhat a falsity. They said in September that they only had $150 million left in the bank, but their revenues have been steadily climbing year over year.
http://gaminrealm.com/2013/11/01/capcom-making-money-despite-fans-predictions-bankruptcy/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/oar/
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2013/full/result_2013_full_01.pdf

The non-agreement to sustain the buyout prevention signals that investors want a change in management, but it looks to be due to past performance, not current performance, because current performance is up nearly 10% over last year despite the console transition.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top