E3 Discussion

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: E3 Discussion

Post by DP on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 pm

I looked into the full interview, actually. I just didn't find anything too shocking yet. Aonuma is a troll at times, so I'm letting it slide by without too much question until I have good reason for that question. If it's anybody else besides a female Link or somehow Zelda (based on the bow as the main weapon she's the primary candidate), I'd be surprised.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:42 pm

That is true, but I do think that the main character gonna be Shiek/Zelda because the bow does seem to be the main weapon.  Which would be really cool and a new take on the classic franchise that fans will definitely enjoy.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't expect a new protagonist; for a Zelda meant to return to the series' roots, jumping to a different protagonist would be a questionable move. Especially if the game is meant to drive console sales. My guess is that he's trolling, and that we get a playable female Link (as an option, almost definitely not a requirement).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I definitely agree that they won't make a new protagonist.  It could be trolling, but I hope that the character is Shiek/Zelda.  That's what I'm really hoping for, but we'll have to wait and see, or get more information to continue the discussion.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:34 pm

E3 may run until tomorrow, but with Nintendo announcing and showing off Codename: STEAM at the current live event, that practically closes the book on E3 this year. Everything lined up just as it did yesterday.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Sony and Nintendo won E3 for sure! Well for me at least lol
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:57 pm

the general consensus on several forums is that nintendo won and EA came in lollast
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Yeah I've seen a lot of Nintendo bias for whatever reason. They didn't have a particularly great showing. Nobody DESERVES to win really. It was all mediocre.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 am

I think it's that people were surprised by Ninty this year. I mean, they showed off a lot of announced games, Zelda U, brought back older series, and had some new IPs. Granted, they didn't have the 3rd party support. Both Sony and Microsoft had those, but honestly, it seems like kind of a detriment since showing a multiplat during your conference (*cough* MGS *cough*) just doesn't feel... for lack of a better word, let's go with "authentic."

Even still, having that 2 hour tournament with an unreleased game and making such visible changes from their tradition is a good step. Then they had the Treehouse to keep a continuous update on the games they showed and that people were playing. Still, that Q&A crap and a lot of how things were done was lackluster. But me and you have already gone through how some simple changes could've helped them a lot. That "2015" stuff, though.

Sony showed some alright games (No Man's Sky looks amazing), but none were big bombshells or anything. The closest that came to that was LBP, although the Ratchet announcement was cool. Nothing was too groundbreaking, but I think their biggest downfall was that they didn't show anything for Vita. They really need to help that out. Meanwhile, Ninty did a good job of providing a list of games for the Wii U. 

Before the tournament and the Pac Man reveal, I'd have gone with Sony. Stupid as the Q&A was, I'm going to have to say that, while it was disappointing like you said, overall Nintendo did a bit better than Sony if not only for that comment about making and doing a lot more tournaments.

But we can all agree EA sucked some rocky mountain oysters this year.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:28 am

Pac-Man helped greatly. I'm not fully sure where I sit on this issue. The disappointing STEAM not being something else really soured their overall showing for me.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 am

I'll agree to that. It was kind of a weak finish, imo.

The way I feel though, if that basically Ninty's success was contingent on Smash. Everything else was also a factor, of course, I'm not trying to discoutn them. But Smash, with the tourney and reveals (opening and closing the digital event) clearly was the basis of Nintendo's E3 platform.

Like, if Sakurai timed reveals better and handled it in a more, uh, intelligent manner, than it could've worked. I think a big saving-grace in the eyes of many would be if they randomly revealed one last character for Smash tomorrow, but I doubt any of the remaining Gematsu's have the power to top Pac Man.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:53 am

We don't need a Gematsu to get Ridley
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 am

That's precisely my point.

*wink*

Also, Mewtwo.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:52 am

I'm confused on how nintendo's conference was surprising.  We pretty much knew 100% that they were going to show zelda u (and that it was going to be open world) and we called all of the revealed smash characters months ago.  To me, they did everything we were expecting and it would have been more surprising if they didn't show any of that stuff
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the other games, while expected, looked better than people may have expected. Plus, people refer to the conference but likely mean the entirety of E3; they showed off 45 minutes of Xenoblade Chronicles X for Christ's sake!
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:21 pm

DP wrote:I think the other games, while expected, looked better than people may have expected. Plus, people refer to the conference but likely mean the entirety of E3; they showed off 45 minutes of Xenoblade Chronicles X for Christ's sake!

Oh...that means nothing to me haha.  Alrighty then
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:26 pm

If one game stole the show, if I may change gears, it's No Man's Sky. My god, that game looks amazing. Somebody from GamesRadar interviewed the lead developer, and asked what would happen when they explored the whole world. The developer responded that if one million players each had a planet to explore, none of them would even finish that planet. And it's procedurally generated, so there are literally infinite planets. And with those visuals? My god.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:58 pm

i might as well post this here

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma

good i wished he show more i mean if it is meant to come out next year why don't a yet?
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:44 pm

If it was ready for showing LAST year, why'd we get a two minute clip? It really bugs me lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm sold. Nintendo won E3 2014. Now, before Vice goes on the warpath, hear me out. And don't TL;DR me lol, it's a thought worth hearing. 

I was skeptical about how many people were supporting Nintendo's E3 performance. How does 45 minutes beat out two hours? The Smash tournament helps, yeah, but that's still maybe 3 hours, 2.5 of which were dedicated to one game. That's more than Sony's conference! How can THAT deserve to win?

I went on record just yesterday saying nobody deserved to win. I'm rescinding that thought. Two words of thought summarized by two words of explanation. Nintendo won, because of the future. 

"Why go with a Digital Event?" Was something we all asked for this year; last year it made sense given Nintendo's likelihood (and the actuality) of having been blown out of the water by the trailblazers that stopped them three generations ago. But this year? It must be a recuperating phase, we all thought. Don't lie, we all had those words in our minds at one point. The Digital Event put everybody, journalist or otherwise, on equal ground, and that's nice. But it's not the Digital Event that won them E3. The slow-burn approach we discussed - that fuse ran straight into a firework. 

Non-stop, for the past three days (today included), Nintendo have livestreamed their games. Whereas E3 has always been about analysts playing and feeding us info, this year everyone, analyst or not, got an extended glimpse at all of Nintendo's games. We got 45 minutes of Xenoblade Chronicles X. We got live dialogue with Miyamoto as he played his three projects. We saw at least an hour of Hyrule Warriors. And we got several hours of Smash. All for the world to see. 

For the second time this gen, Nintendo trailblazed. The first was a grave mistake - they started the 8th gen early, before they were ready, forcing both Sony and Microsoft (by way of Sony) to released unfinished consoles. That's why everything we saw was pinned for 2015, and why Nintendo took over eight months to get its chief launch titles out. But the second moment of foresight - that was a moment of genius marketing. Nintendo made E3 NOT about the games, but about the gamers. And not just the few thousand gaming journalists that got a free pass there. 

Sony had the stronger press release, but Nintendo kept people (besides Vice  Tongue Sackboy ) hooked all of E3, and not hooked on IGN. Hooked right onto the teat, like we were the hungriest of pups. And they made the other two companies look like dogs because of it. While they were proclaiming that they've listened to fans (whether it be just recently or for the past year), Nintendo made it ABOUT the fans.

Nintendo, for the first time in a long time, thought of the future first. They pulled a Wii and introduced an unheard-of concept to everyone. Next year, I would put money down that Sony and Microsoft both have extended streams for every major game, not just for the first day, at set times, but for the entire event. Will a digital event prevail for the other two? No, they'll hang onto live events. And live events are smart hype-builders; excitement is contagious, and sharing shouts with others is certainly exciting at a big reveal. Will Nintendo magically pull a comeback because of this showing? No, but they've gained quite a bit of respect from the common gamer in the past two days. Have they changed the game that these three play every June? Yes.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 pm

DP you hit the nail on the head i didnt know who for sure was my personal winner untill i watched the live treehouse stream they gave the gamers so much info to look at.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 pm

DP, nay, Kevin, my dear friend. That was beautiful. Hudak would be proud, even if she probably wouldn't know what you're talking about.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am

That is certainly agreeable, my friend.

As for the Zelda Wii U update, typical Aonuma trolling. Could've clarified it when reporters like IGN first asked him about his remark, but nope, he waits until now to say it's Link. lol
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:39 am

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

As the link says, at E3 Kotaku did an interview with many if Nintndo's heads, and they revealed that they're planning out a way to bring both 2D and 3D Metroid into the modern era. That could mean one game, or two. Sounds like two to me.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 pm

hopefully that also involves an other m retcon
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland