mario kart 8 discussion

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

mario kart 8 discussion

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon May 05, 2014 5:08 pm

since we havent really talked about it yet im making a thread.
well how do you guys feel about the new mechanics, characters and courses so far?
what are you excited for and what currently dissapoints you

im really liking what im seeing so far
my only disappointments so far are some of the completely random character choices (i mean its not like they could have drawn from the M&L or Paper mario series if they were running out of ideas /sarcasm) but hey i can overlook that for good mechanics
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: mario kart 8 discussion

Post by DP on Mon May 05, 2014 6:32 pm

I don't mind any of the choices really, so long as the Koopalings don't all play exactly the same (their karts look very similar so I can't be sure yet). I expected Baby Rosie, though Pink Gold Peach got me off guard. I still don't really mind her either though lol (it probably just could've been a skin, is my only issue with it). I love the stage choices, though the absence of Waluigi Pinball is slightly saddening. The rest of the choices are phenomenal and sometimes surprising, so that's fine by me. Except for one: Two Rainbow Roads, though? Meh. The new one better be worth it.

THEY NERFED THE BLUE SHELL. I LOVE THE SUPER HORN.

Plus the online sounds superb (Nintendo using non-Nintendo-owned services like YouTube? What is this wizardry?). My only disappointment is that they didn't just outright kill F-Zero and out Captain Falcon in this. That was obviously the point of the antigravity, so why keep fans' hopes alive? The only way that franchise can exist anymore is as download-only minititles, so integrating it (and other Nintendo IP) into MK would've been a good way to please everyone from fans to investors.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 pm

the over all characters selection suck, new rainbow road doesn't anything special and the new battle mode sucks,

however even after all that i'm still exited to get it
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

I didn't really see a huge problem with the battle mode. It makes sense, why waste assets on something less than 1/5 of players play more than a handful of times? Especially in a 1080p game. I think the bigger missed opportunity was the lack of 5P multiplayer using the GamePad screen as P1's and splitting the main screen into four.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Mon May 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Pretty uh, odd roster, otherwise the game looks fun. Though again, half the roster looks awful. You'd think they would just take all of the characters from smash and throw them in, if possible.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon May 05, 2014 11:05 pm

I wouldn't say half. Only ten are odd, really, and seven of them for the same reason. I believe we're at 32 this game, so I'll take seven soon-to-be fan favorite drivers and one that exists only to solidify Rosie's place in the Mario Pantheon. And...Gold Peach, for whatever reason that is lol That's the same reason I don't mind Yoshi Valley, which is one of the more "wat" picks for stages.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Tue May 06, 2014 2:22 am

DP wrote:I didn't really see a huge problem with the battle mode. It makes sense, why waste assets on something less than 1/5 of players play more than a handful of times? Especially in a 1080p game. I think the bigger missed opportunity was the lack of 5P multiplayer using the GamePad screen as P1's and splitting the main screen into four.

the problem with battle mode isn't just no battle arens (it is still a big problem anyway) is the rules in which you play in it with the game always having a set time limit

also we all should have a race once this game come out so how the fuck do i get you guys on my WiiU
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 06, 2014 7:42 am

Didn't Wii have the same version of battle mode? I thought I read that somewhere (I didn't play Wii more than like five times, and I never enjoyed it enough to tinker with the other modes because of the horrible Wii Wheel/motion controls).

I think through passwords would be the quickest way. We can make a weekly Pasta tourney, set the password to Axis or Pastadome or something, and we're all in.

Of course I'm still without internet but possibly for not too much longer, so I could be back on in June.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 am

no the wii version had you respawn after you lost all your balloons, the new version is kinda like the N64 version were once you lose all your balloons you got into a ghost state where you can hit other players

and i still want to add you guys cause i can play other games (SSB4) with you guys
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 06, 2014 8:17 am

Yeah, I agree on the friending stuff. I just have no idea how to lol. My Wii U hasn't had an update outside of disc-based one for 3D World.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Tue May 06, 2014 8:20 am

turns out you need to press the orange smiley face on the lower left to bring up the friends list
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Chaosdreams wrote:Pretty uh, odd roster, otherwise the game looks fun. Though again, half the roster looks awful. You'd think they would just take all of the characters from smash and throw them in, if possible.
dude i would kill for Captian falcon in mario kart thatd be so awesome
even if they didnt want to go outside the mario (and sometimes DK) series there are plenty of unique interesting characters like fawful, k rool, vivian i have no clue why they went for a stupid pallette swap and another baby.

also guys if your adding wiiu friends add me too :D (username is dragonfire111 of course)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 06, 2014 1:15 pm

Like I said, Baby Rosie only functions to confirm Rosie in every spinoff from here on. I can't wait to see her in Mario Party 12.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 pm

DP wrote:Like I said, Baby Rosie only functions to confirm Rosie in every spinoff from here on. I can't wait to see her in Mario Party 12.
speaking of which i hope they return to the n64 games roots for mario party the last couple have been really lackluster/terrible
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm

I don't care much about the roster. I mean, it is rather odd Diddy, Bowser Jr. and Birdo didn't make it, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter. It's not like Smash where the individual characteristics make a huge difference. Yeah, it kinda' sucks if you're attached to the character, but gameplay wise it makes zero difference.

The Koopalings are cool. The Babies are pretty much a faction of Mario Kartdom, so it makes sense Rosy's in (I want Baby Toad, Baby Wario, and Baby Waluigi).

The tracks look fantastic. All so vibrant and different. I would've liked some different Retro tracks (don't care for Moo Moo Meadows; would've LOVED Waluigi Pinball or Wario Colosseum), but they all seem to be done well. 

Overall happy with how it looks. I'l need to play it first, but... yeah. Lovin' that Blue Shell nerf and all that. Battle Mode isn't something I'd play, so I don't really care, but having actual stadiums for that would've been cool.

Online sounds good. That recording.

I have a good feeling that Nintendo will-- and should-- follow up with DLC. Get those characters in there and some new, great stages for a reasonable price. It's a win-win.

Besides, on some boxart or something shows playable characters and Diddy's in the mix. GameXplain said there's no more secret characters we don't know about, so that could mean DLC. Birdo's also in some "Girl Racers" poster or something in the game.
Pic of Diddy:

Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Diddy's head was on a Spanish advert by mistake, and was later confirmed by Nintendo to not be in that image. They never deconfirmed him for the game though.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 am

okay i just dragon a friend request still want the rest of you guys

and god i hope nintendo does dlc for this game
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed May 07, 2014 10:36 pm

Oh yeah, Wii U has friend codes lul.

I'll post mine in a bit when / if I figure out what it is.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu May 08, 2014 12:29 am

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5693392/nintendo-will-launch-a-smartphone-service-alongside-mario-kart-8

It's happened. Nintendo finally announced a smartphone companion app for a game. This last few months has been a huge leap for them, I'm impressed (not that I wasn't before now).

Also, off-topic, they announced a Skylanders-esque line of figures that are going to cross between multiple games, which sounds mildly interesting for kids.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 pm

I played the Mario Kart 8 Demo today at a GameStop and it's pretty fun.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue May 27, 2014 3:20 pm

As of now, Mario Kart 8 is in the edge of coming out and there has been no news of Wii U shortages as most likely hoped for.  Especially from, Nintendo's side.  I'm sure they would love to report that.  Do you think it's time to put the final nail in the Wii U's coffin with light of no great news?  Even with Mario Kart 8 so close to release.  I think it is.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 27, 2014 4:36 pm

The bundles have been sold out for weeks. I don't think Nintendo needs to flaunt anything since they've said MK8 is meant to be a long-term boost, not short-term. Hence the year-long marketing stint. The expected boost short-term is only at most a million SKUs according to basic economics. If the holiday doesn't see a boost similar (and hopefully greater) than this past year's, there's a problem.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue May 27, 2014 5:44 pm

As far as I know those reports don't exist.  I would request proof that they're sold out.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue May 27, 2014 6:59 pm

The proof is in the "sold out" button wherever you look for it online and the extra $100 on the eBay prices. And Nintendo's tweet that they sold through all pre-orders but would have a few more available for the launch event.

http://m.ibtimes.com/mario-kart-8-release-date-may-30-game-bundle-sold-out-nintendo-uk-online-store-1583074

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Mario-Kart-8-Wii-U-Pre-Orders-Sold-Out-Amazon-62615.html

The bundle was just recently made available for US stores, so I've heard nothing similar on that front.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Only two online companies in two countries, which isn't a bad thing, but until we see sells figures even this seems like it's under performing.    Even then, I'm still surprised that this hasn't been reported on IGN.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top