I just watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 last night *No Spoilers*

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I just watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 last night *No Spoilers*

Post by Count Mario on Sat May 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Finally, after months of waiting, my most hyped up Marvel movie has arrived. Reviews to ASM1 were mixed, and this movie is more different, if not, even more divided in opinion regarding its quality. But since I typically reject mainstream labeling, this is my own firsthand opinion without any influence.

Okay... Fuck the reviews. No, literally, I mean take any of those negative or mixed criticism reports and shove them up J. Jonah Jameson's ass. This movie was... AMAZING. Literally, I think it's the best superhero movie I ever saw. Better than the whole trilogy by MILES, there's literally no comparison. Not even to Marvel's other films, which I personally find to be lackluster most of the time. If any of you liked ASM1, I swear that you will LOVE ASM2. And even if you hated it, I think the quality has been upped so much from the original that you might like this too, because I didn't think ASM1 was anything near perfect (though it was definitely preferable to the likes of Spider-Man 1 and 3). Everything about it was so spectacular. The music score, dialogue, CGI, Spider-Man's constant memorable quips, I never knew Jamie Foxx could be so perfect for a villain like Electro, DANE DEHANN AS HARRY OSBORN WAS THE BEE'S KNEES, the relationship between Peter and Gwen was so convincing and adorable, the action was absolutely phenomenal, all of the story scenes worked together perfectly with little to no questioning and excellent segues, etc. Seriously, you can't know what I mean unless you watch it for yourself as soon as you can. I recommend that everyone should this film as soon as possible. 

I mean, it was so great that during a particular scene in the movie (you will know exactly what I'm talking about once you watch it or have even basic knowledge of Spider-Man's history), I literally stood up and started clapping by the end of the scene. I was hoping to start a clap chain since when I watched Man of Steel, the whole theatre was applauding when Superman killed Zod and screamed. However, it didn't have anywhere near that effect lol (but my dad at least tried to clap with me a bit). But even so... I regret nothing, even if I did look awkward as hell. No movie I have watched has EVER made me have the courage to do that. Not to mention how that scene had my heart pumping so hard and literally had me gawking at the screen with my eyes glued on. This movie, bro... This movie was not just amazing, but SUPERIOR. Nuff said.

Now, I'm sure that If I could rewatch it, I could point out a couple of flaws here and there, but even then, this is one of or, shock it, I'll say it, MY FAVORITE SUPERHERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME. The Dark Knight, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Spider-Man 2, etc, can all go suck it compared to this film. Being legitimately honest here. And I think the main reason why I say that is because the Spider-Man franchise (at least since the reboot) has the perfect sense of mixing lighthearted/comedic and serious/dark moments without any sort of awkward distinction in tone while watching, where as I feel like Marvel lean towards the former way too much for me to properly enjoy their movies that much compared to everyone else's and DC tends to accomplish the latter with flying colors in certain instances, but could try taking itself a bit less seriously now and again. However, I think it really just goes to showing that's how much potential and likability a world such as Spider-Man's has and has alone.

Moving on to the future of the movie line though, ASM3 could so in so many amazing directions that it's just mind boggling, but also worrisome because if you know basic Spidey lore and see how much the universe is being built upon in this film with all of the references (it still doesn't feel crammed at all though, and just to dispel everyone's worries, Rhino only appears in two four-five minute scenes and Harry Osborn is properly built up throughout the entire movie until he dons the Green Goblin exoskeleton, while Electro is still the defining main antagonist here), there's quite a lot of room to cover in ASM3 to lead up to both the Venom and Sinister Six movies (both have notable developments seen in ASM2 that are leading up to both of those films though among certain obvious scenes once you watch. I'm just worried about how it'll all be balanced in ASM3). However, I have absolutely faith in Marc Webb's directing skills at this point to be completely honest. It's just a shame that ASM3 will be the last Spidey movie he'll direct, although it is a decent point to jump off from. I hope that he'll have some sort of influence on the Venom and Sinister Six movies though.

Oh, and just so you guys all know, there isn't a credits scene. In fact, all you'll see midway is a trailer for X-Men: Days of Future Past for some bizarre reason, but whatever. However, stick around until that trailer because the credits cinematics will actually show clues of who future villains/Sinister Six members could be by showing items related to specific Spider-Man villains. So I definitely recommend sticking around.

And now comes the spoiler tag discussion relating to a very specific aspect of the series' future:

Sinister Six Member Predictions:

Anyone who has watched the movies knows that the Sinister Six already has at least four members confirmed, coming in the form of Green Goblin, Rhino, Doctor Octopus, and Vulture, in which the earlier two were shown and the scene with Harry and Mr. Fiers obviously confirmed that Rhino is a part of the team, while Oscorp has containment units for Doctor Octopus' tentacles and Vulture's wings. So all that leaves is two members. I believe that Electro will most likely be the fifth due to how much he was built up in this film, being an Oscorp experiment, and having already technically teamed up with Harry before. Additionally, he didn't die, his electrons were just dispersed in ASM2's lightning round (pun not intended, I'm dead serious), and that has happened to Electro several times in the comics with him returning all the time. Hell, Jamie Foxx even said on Twitter that electricity never dies, probably hinting at this.

So all that really leaves is much debate over the sixth member, which has TONS of candidates. We could see the return of Curt Connors for the role of the Lizard, who would most likely be forced into that persona by the team like in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. Venom is also a good contender since has been in one or two of the team's incarnations in the comics and we obviously see Venom being referenced by how Richard Parker talked about using the radioactive spider to attempt to create a cur for Norman Osborn (who, by the way, I do not believe for a second is truly dead. That man has died so many times in the comics that I believe he is practically immortal. Given how Oscorp has been hiding secrets for a long while, I wouldn't be surprised if all of this is part of a big scheme masterminded by him), which is mainly inspired by the Venom Symbiote's origin in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. There are a bunch of hints in the credits cinematics as to who else could be in the running though. If you look at these images, for example:

A lot of opportunities are opened up. A lot of people are saying the earlier pic is Kraven due to the shape of the item resembling a spear and having cat eyes similar to what's on Kraven's costume, but I actually say that it's most likely related to Black Cat since we actually see Felecia Hardy in the movie with a minor, not noticeable role. Trying to fit Kraven into the film's universe with how villains are mainly coming out of Oscorp seems a bit left-field to me, so I'm expecting the more realistic option. Further, Kraven is one of the most tricky villains to pull off seriously in a film, although comic book stories such as Kraven's Last Hunt and Grim Hunt have shown that he's one of Spider-Man's darkest and deadliest villains after mainly being a joke for years. Seeing Black Cat would also fill in the niche of having a female villain and presence on the team, which I could see Sony going for.

When it comes to the second picture though... That is really anybody's guess. Many fans are debating over whether that's Chameleon due to the white mask or Mysterio due to the gas pouring out that eye (possibly referencing his fear gas). Considering how wearing a fishbowl with green attire and a purple cape wouldn't exactly be the best thing to imagine on-screen, it's very likely that he'd get a complete redesign akin to something like this if he did appear. That, and MANY, and I mean MANY people want to see Mysterio in a Spider-Man film, and I can't blame them one bit for the CGI potential from his illusions (along with just being an awesome character lol). There is a chance though that this image could be referencing Electro due to focusing on a face rather than an item, but they could've just shown lightning for that part, so that's easily dismissible.

When all is said and done though, Sony has already confirmed that the entire Sinister Six roster has not been finalized yet, so we could go in a million directions, which is exactly why I previously mentioned my fears about ASM3 being overcrowded. After all of Marc Webb's work, however, I have complete faith in him.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I just watched The Amazing Spider-Man 2 last night *No Spoilers*

Post by 0CTAVE on Sun May 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Spider-man 2 was AMAZING, nuff said!

0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon May 12, 2014 1:38 pm

I too agree with you Count. Being that I was not a super big fan of TMS 1, this sequel blew that movie out of the water. I saw it day 1 and loved the heck out of it. I even had some man-tears shed that day a few times. I still love the Tobey Spiderman movies, but after seeing Andrew play out this movie, I have to say, he IS the amazing Spiderman <3
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Mon May 12, 2014 5:28 pm

I liked the movie, but jesus christ did everything feel rushed. Jamie Foxx and Dane Dehaan had great performances but their characters were not memorable at all. The scene with Rhino should have not been in the movie at all. The tone was also a problem, one scene its dark and serious and the next scene it all laughs and jokes. My favourite thing about the movie though was Gwen Stacey. One of the best female performances in any comic book movie. The action was also great.

Spider-Man 1 and 2 are way better films than this one but it is still enjoyable. Is it the best comic book movie of all time? In my opinion, no way. Fun movie but full of problems. 7/10.
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon May 12, 2014 6:17 pm

To be fair, ASM just has that tone shifting throughout in the comics; it's pretty accurate in that respect, and it's sort of the style of the whole Amazing franchise.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Mon May 12, 2014 9:28 pm

Fair point, but that does not work for me in the film. 

Spoiler:

As for the Sinister Six, here is my prediction for the roster.
Goblin
Doc Ock
Vulture
Rhino
Shocker (Cause he's the greatest Spider-Man villain)
Lizard (Hopefully he does not look like a goomba)
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm

I seriously don't understand why everyone complains about Rhino in some way, in that he's either too dumb or "rushed". He's a two-bit thug with a Russian accent that wears a rhino suit and mainly robs banks. If anything, he was a great joke villain used in two less than five minute scenes. Seriously, what is there to really complain about? Did people actually want to see a legitimately major role for such a C-list Spider-Man villain? C'mon, it's freaking Rhino. At least they gave him a robot suit to make up for that ridiculous animal fetish costume. I didn't see anyone complain that much when Scarecrow got minimal joke roles in TDK and TDKR, which were after the fact that he was a main antagonist in the first film. I personally like that Amazing Spider-Man 2 is able to incorporate a small-time villain like this in a minimal notable role because if you ask me, most superhero movies need to make more advantage of the rogues galleries they're harnessing. Not that I want another Spider-Man 3, but you get what I mean. Really helps make the world fleshed out and taken advantage of without having to waste screentime on needless origins for casual supervillains.

And I incredibly disagree with Jamie and Dane's performances not being memorable. Yes, Jamie was a bit too goofy at times as Max Dillon, but even then it was still funny to see and the only potential flaw I agree with. I loved everything else with these two guys in whatever scene they were in. Electro was still the main antagonist and got plenty of screentime with plenty of badass moments/quotes and memorable CGI battle scenes while promoting Peter to step up his game while Harry got built up throughout the entire movie with some of the best acting I've ever seen for a superhero movie in general, especially in the context of his character's situation within this film. Yeah, Green Goblin could've shown up more, but I prefer him much more as a mastermind in the shadows like he traditionally is and only mainly showing up for the endgame, which Dehann nails.

As for the tone, I loved the tone. If anything, Marvel and DC movies tend to land towards on type of ground without being bold enough to go into the other too much. Spider-Man, as both a character and franchise, is one of the few heroes able to do this with little to no problems, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 stands as a testament to that. If you ask me, it's finally great to see a superhero movie in modern context that doesn't take itself too seriously, while also still having the balls to promote legitimate threats, seriousness, and long-term repercussions that don't make this a whimsical forgettable adventure like most of Marvel's films in the cinematic universe with villains that you can't remember besides Loki.

But I can respect your views though. This is just my opinion, of course.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 pm

I think peoples' issues with Rhino stem from his role in the PS1 game. He was treated as big in that game and I know I for one did a double-take when he was confirmed for a small role. But then I realized why I was confused and understood immediately.

And I also attribute the tone to the Sony influence; Marvel proper gets way too goofy or way too serious but when Sony is involved they sober up a bit and find a mix.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat May 17, 2014 7:23 pm

i haven't been around much lately cause exams (See ya properly in july guys!), but i saw this a while back and want to add my two cents

it was really good. fuck the reviews. i felt that the villains were interesting but yes a bit rushed. now i'm not counting Rhino i'm focusing on Gobby and Electro. i liked the whole voices in his head chanting thing in time square but i really hated harry even before that happened. I felt Garfield was great, as was Stone, they felt like a natural socially inept couple. which is exactly what they are meant to be, at least Pete is. Garfield also nailed the Spidey part of the roll, coming off as naturally witty and plucky. 

That said...its not as good as Count is saying imo (Sorry man) now i agree its better than some MCU movies, mainly the Iron Man Sequels and Cap 1 (I haven't seen Thor 2 so no comment.) it doesn't even come close to Cap 2 and the Avengers which were spectacular movies. i'd put it on par with Incredible Hulk and Thor 1 and maybe Iron Man 3. 

Kicks the shit outta ramis efforts though, if you don't have nostalgia goggles on (and i hate those movies almost solely cause of 3's treatment of Venom and...THAT scene.)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat May 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Honestly, in hindsight, I don't even think Avengers was that good after the first couple of times you see it and the spark of seeing your favorite heroes on screen disappears when its mainly just mindless CGI action and suspense for when the heroes kick some ass in the scenes where they teasingly don't. But that's just me. I shouldn't have made the movie seem so perfect, but honestly, I don't really see anything on the market that's actually better. Even Cap 2, which is good, but that's the most I could say about it.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Sat May 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Count Mario wrote:Honestly, in hindsight, I don't even think Avengers was that good after the first couple of times you see it and the spark of seeing your favorite heroes on screen disappears when its mainly just mindless CGI action and suspense for when the heroes kick some ass in the scenes where they teasingly don't. But that's just me. I shouldn't have made the movie seem so perfect, but honestly, I don't really see anything on the market that's actually better. Even Cap 2, which is good, but that's the most I could say about it.

It is so nice to finally hear someone share my same view of the Avengers.  Everyone i knew said "You love superheroes!  You must of loved the Avengers!" and my response was always "it was eh" haha
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Wed May 21, 2014 5:11 pm

Just watched the movie with my girlfriend, and man, that was one of the best, if not the best, superhero movies I have seen. The chemistry between the two lead actors, it's so natural it's insane. I had no issues with the pacing of the movie, and I found the laughter mixed with the serious tones was spot on. It easily made the original spiderman movies look like pure garbage.

The ending...so many feels.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Fair points but the movie is really rushed. Max Dillon adores Spider-Man and when Spider-Man remembers the guy except for his name he wants to destroy him and everyone else? Like wut.

Spoiler:

And the ending killed it. It should have ended with Peter still grieving about Gwen. Not with Rhino attacking and leaving the kid and Spider-Man alone for like a minute instead of shooting them both dead. If they just showed the Rhino suit that would have been fine.

Despite my problems with the movie I still enjoyed it, I hope Sony learns from the mistakes of this one to make their future movies better. Still not as good as Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I wouldn't have minded that type of ending, but I also don't mind the ending we went with. 

As for Max, it was actually more than just that. For one, he's already mentally unstable as we already see from earlier scenes with him talking to himself as if he was chatting friendly with Spider-Man after he saved his life once, and the mental figment scene with his boss, Alistair Smythe. Two, Spider-Man didn't just forget his name, but became the headline of New York and replaced the only fame that Max ever had and always dreamed of in an instant during his greatest moment of need. Three, the police shot at him, thus promoting a "FIRE BAD" Frankenstein-esque moment. And FYI, I don't mind talking about this without spoilers because Electro's character is obvious from the get-go if you watch any random ASM2 trailer.

So personally, I thought it was pretty natural. Max was literally a ticking time bomb waiting to go off, which is why I have no problems with his character development. Especially since it was actually so convincingly sympathetic if you look past the goofiness.

Spoiler:
And if you ask me, they should've kept the scene of Harry laughing at Peter after Gwen died.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Wed May 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Fair Enough, but I would have much rather seen Jamie Foxx act Max Dillon's emotions instead of singing them.
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm

True, the ending could have ended on a sad note, however if there's one thing I have noticed is that this iteration of spiderman has his emotions rise and fall like anyone else. Moreover, the ending does show the passing of time. So rather than spend the third movie, being all depressed, they chose to show some resolution at the end (be it in a corny way) however I didn't mind it, since spiderman is both humerous, light and also sad and dark.

It'll be interesting though, because the chemistry between two actors was strong, and i wonder how they plan to proceed in the future with it.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu May 22, 2014 1:28 am

I still bet we'll see plenty of backlash in ASM3 (after all, the ramifications of Captain Stacy's death in ASM1 at the hands of the Lizard didn't go unnoticed in 2) regarding 2's penultimate ending sequence.

They're definitely going to introduce Mary Jane in ASM3 though. Shailene Woodley was supposed to play her in ASM2, but she got cut due to a lot of fan backlash about too much possibly going on in the movie a la Spider-Man, and the producers seemed to feel the same way.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu May 22, 2014 10:48 am

Shallene Woodley eh? That could work (if they cast her in the 3rd movie) or, they could always get...Emma Watson. lol
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Lots of people are suggesting recasting Emma, but personally... I just find that to be way too creepy and cheap. I mean, there's being interested in a certain type of women, and then there's getting a rebound girl who looks EXACTLY the same as your previous gf. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Fri May 23, 2014 12:50 am

Casting the same person would confuse the audience and weaken the impact of the story. There's other fantastic actresses they can find. It's just a matter now of holding up the ball game. When you have one leave, you can't drag in, say, meghan fox and expect the audience to be like "aw...this is who he should be with."
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top