Square Enix to Refocus on JRPGs After Bravely Default Success

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Square Enix to Refocus on JRPGs After Bravely Default Success

Post by BigBox on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm

This is a good thing and a bad thing.  The good news being that bandwagon fans are happy and the minority of good fans that care are kind of happy as well(me being one of them).  The bad news being that Final Fantasy slowly becomes C.o.D and is the same exact game with each iteration.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/31/square-enix-to-refocus-on-jrpgs-after-bravely-default-success#comment-1312469617
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Square Enix to Refocus on JRPGs After Bravely Default Success

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:48 pm

more jrpgs like bravely default and FFX hd = step in the right direction
more jrpgs like ffXIII = please no
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 pm

dragonfire111 wrote:more jrpgs like bravely default and FFX hd = step in the right direction
Bravely Default and FFX are okay, I would rather have more games like FFVII in this case.
More games like Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XV would be good as well.

Remember, Square-Enix runs Final Fantasy in one year development cycles.  If they keep making the same game they can throw a new Final Fantasy out every single year.  In this idea, they would re-use the same engine over and over again.  Because, why make a new one when they're just gonna be making the same game over and over again?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 am

That's just how the industry works. Reusing engines is absolutely fine by me, as long as the games are made unique, and more importantly, fun. Let's remember, though, that one-year release cycles =/= one year of development. Each CoD game gets two years or so; every AC game as well. Activision, Ubisoft, and Square all have multiple devteams (some as subsets within studios) specifically for this reason. Annualization within itself is not a problem, it's when it's handled poorly that it becomes one. The prime example here is Ratchet: over a decade of near-annual releases - from one devteam, too - and barring two exceptions (one of which was an experiment, the other an anniversary fanservice game) they've been loved, quality releases by its fanbase. If Square can use variable pricing half as well as Sony has with Ratchet, I'd be fine with annualized FF games. (Though I'd say it'd be better if they juggled other RPG franchises equally rather than focus on FF alone. If they juggled the inevitable Bravely Default franchise, FF side games, the occasional numbered game, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and even some older IP they still own, they could EASILY put lengthy time into each game and get very quality titles in the process.)

Though I must say, I'm also curious when your opinion of XV flipped from "not interested, gonna be mediocre" to "more of this," since we still know nothing of it besides the trailer.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:01 am

I don't see anything good coming annualized FF games, it's just gonna be the same thing every year.  Just the same turn-based game, and nothing else.  Not even a new system, just what Call of Duty is and Activision has multiple developers on their payroll too and CoD still sucks because it's never new.  It doesn't matter who makes it, because it's always gonna be the same thing.  CoD is proof this and as a game designer, this isn't good news.

When I found FF could possibly stop being unique, you best believe I'm going to cling onto the last bit of a unique game there is.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 am

There have only been three years without FF games since it started. 1993, and the two year gap while FFVII jumped to PlayStation. Calling an annualized series automatically stale and bad, especially one as varied as FF has been, is foolish. More so after your personal favorite metaseries just ended (with a whimper, at that). If YOU do not like turn-based games, that is fine. But to immediately jump to "it'll all be the same," when we had 10 of them in the main series, often released every two years (matching the development time CoD has per game), most of which are beloved by some hefty chunk of fans, is asinine.

Besides, Square won't let Fabula Nova Cristallis go for a few more years anyway, so you'll get your previous real-time games too.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:59 am

If they "finally" see the flaw in their recent ways these past few years, then bravo to them and it's about time. Yet, they are not the same group of people who made FFX, so that spark of light will always be different.

I've heard both good things, and somewhat bad things about Bravely Default (the bad relating to the story at a certain part, when i found out, i laughed, it's interesting to say the least.)

Anyways, I read the article but I didn't see anywhere where they stated they will release the series annually, course I'm tired. But if they were to, as long as they ensure that the story is different each time, rather than riding heavily on sequels (some games just ought to be singular) and the gameplay steadily improves (so, unlike Cod where "balance is key" this isn't an online series, well mostly, so for the offline experience, less time is put into how player 1 fights player 2, and more into how the Ai act with the player, so on, so forth.)

Are games that are released annually bad? They are, if they follow Cods pattern, or the games that preceded them and no longer exist (Guitar hero for example.) However, they can also follow a more proper route such as Ratchet and Clank. Now, I'll admit, I stopped playing that series around game 6, because it was just becoming to much for me personally, but in no way shape or form did I see the series lower in quality, in fact, it steadily rose, I just got a little pulled away from the characters is all. Nostalgia feeling really, if I think of Ratchet and Clank, I think about all of their adventures, but mostly how they came to be.

So in summary, as long as the quality remains, and they don't pull out any Lighting trilogy nonsense, then thumbs up for them. If it goes horribly wrong, more money in my pocket.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Remember when people started to say that Square isn't trying with FF anymore?  Well, if they weren't trying then what makes you think they're going to try now?  Especially when making the same game different every time isn't necessary anymore and more costly effective to produce the same thing every year, because they know that people will buy.  Just like Call of Duty.  It doesn't matter how bad it gets, people will buy it.  Nothing good will come from this, at this point this marks the end of unique Final Fantasy games and I definitely won't be buying them.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Remember when people started to say that Square isn't trying with FF anymore?  Well, if they weren't trying then what makes you think they're going to try now?  Especially when making the same game different every time isn't necessary anymore and more costly effective to produce the same thing every year, because they know that people will buy.  Just like Call of Duty.  It doesn't matter how bad it gets, people will buy it.  Nothing good will come from this, at this point this marks the end of unique Final Fantasy games and I definitely won't be buying them.

I don't recall people saying that, however I don't focus on rambles. There are two sides to SquareEnix. The side that dished out FF-X2, FF13-2-3. Then there's the side that made Bravely default and has been working on FF15 for 6 years.

Now, do I mean particular people? No, rather mentality and dedication. Since if they are in the mindset of "let's make a truly wonderful game, utilizing the assests we have and can come up with" then that's healthy. If it is "we need to make a profit off of our loses, let's continue this convoluted series, or, let's make this series continue even though we don't have the best idea." Then that's bad.

If you don't want to continue buying games in the series, that's fine, heck I stopped at 13 and have ignored anything with Lightning in it. But my eyes have been set on FF15 since it was first announced 6 years ago.

And please, stop comparing COD to FF. The genres are different, thus the implications of how a game is released also varies. Cod is for the wide online mass, mostly children now, and will eventually burn out. FF however cannot get away with releasing garbage after garbage and see the sales rise, because the sales haven't risen, they've fallen. Hence they are rethinking who they should be pleasing, and how so.

If a game is released every year, and is great, then I am not complaining. Complaints only arrive when what is released is garbage. Moreover, single player games you can play at your own pace, but COD for example, once a year is up, the community dies, jumping ship, becoming dumber as they go.

And again, if you really think that "this is the end of FF" because they are looking at who to please, then so be it.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:58 pm

I'd say that refocusing on JRPGs isn't inherently a bad thing, if I may drag back onto the real topic and off of annualization (that's a debate topic if anything). Square has the ability to make damn good games if they get back to their roots, and by many accounts Bravely Default is the first real FF game since XII, so they know how to still. If they focus again, it doesn't matter if it's turn-based or real-time; they'll make it fun.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:38 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
dragonfire111 wrote:more jrpgs like bravely default and FFX hd = step in the right direction
Bravely Default and FFX are okay, I would rather have more games like FFVII in this case.
More games like Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XV would be good as well.

Remember, Square-Enix runs Final Fantasy in one year development cycles.  If they keep making the same game they can throw a new Final Fantasy out every single year.  In this idea, they would re-use the same engine over and over again.  Because, why make a new one when they're just gonna be making the same game over and over again?
i was kindof referring to thier recent games but if ya wanna go to the real gems id love to see games of FF6 or Chrono Trigger quality
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 am

I will continue to compare it to Call of Duty because they might as rename it to Call of Duty: Final Fantasy.  Now, it doesn't matter what the genre is, or style of game whether it be online, or offline.  A whored out franchise is a whored out franchise that releases yearly sequels with extremely little to no changes.

Rest In Peace Final Fantasy
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 am

Final Fantasies 1-X would like a word.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am

DP wrote:Final Fantasies 1-X would like a word.
^this 1-X werent whored out at all. they didnt start the whoring untill after X and really started pushing it with FF13
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:37 pm

I do agree that 13 and 13-2 were pretty boring games, but Lightning Returns was a good game.  Other then that, bandwagon fans think they got what they've wanted but they sure didn't when the game goes down in quality even further.  FFXV and maybe XVI will be the last good ones, but once they start getting in that loop of releasing a new FF every year.  People will realize they don't want the same thing every single time.  By then they would only have themsevles to blame for the lack of unique Final Fantasy titles.  Bandwagon fans FTL.

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm still not seeing any quote claiming that Square is planning on annualization of the FF franchise. It sounds like they're doing exactly as they've always done, except they're realizing their strengths and focusing that way. With a good half-dozen JRPG franchises to work with, there's no guarantee or even likelihood that FF will any release more than it does right now.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Final Fantasy is a flag ship title, if they're just gonna keep making the same game over and over they would be stupid not to annualized it as the game already as a one year development cycle.  Maybe, just maybe if they throw a title in the middle of that it doesn't make it any less of the same game.  It's like buying Modern Warfare and then Black Ops. and hoping to get a game that's different.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 pm

No recent FF game has had a one-year cycle, and most of them have had large changes between games. I'm not seeing the logic here.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 pm

The large changes come to an end as we start to play the same game with a different name.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 pm

...Which has no indication of happening at this time. You're making a mountain out of a molehill, dude.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

It's the most obvious speculation.

Rest In Peace Final Fantasy
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Sigh, I'm locking this thread. It's use has been served and the discussion is going nowhere.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:41 pm

I had similar thoughts, Chaos. Though I included a facepalm gif instead lol
DP
Staff
Staff