Which ending in Infamous: Second Son should be canon? *SPOILERS ALLOWED*

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which ending in Infamous: Second Son should be canon? *SPOILERS ALLOWED*

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:19 am

I haven't played the game since I don't have a PS4, but after watching through all of the cutscenes in the story, I actually really hope that we follow off of the Evil path. I have various critiques about the story in general to the point where I feel its inferior to both of the previous Infamous games (it's still a good enjoyable story overall though), but I felt like it was much more satisfying than the Good path. The latter was still decent, but I felt it was predictable and treaded too much familiar territory to what we've experienced with Cole to the point where I can't help but compare it to his. Evil though... it has some real potential and I easily align Delsin more with being a tragic character who tried to do good, but gave in to his rage-filled rebellious nature from his journey's trauma than pretty much every character besides Augustine getting on his side and barely having any unique development besides Reggie's death. Not to mention the type of antagonist he could be in the next game with this conclusion as canon, of course, and it'd actually be like Infamous 2's Evil ending being continued without the potential plothole of most/all the normal humans having been eradicated (in fact, Sucker Punch was actually considering going through with that ending until checking Infamous 2's Trophy gain statistics, in which the Good ending was far more popular). Not to mention that I felt like Augustine was the weakest antagonist in the series (not bad, she still still got the job done and had her moments, but still the least memorable and a bit too one-dimensional) with a last-minute "Hey look, I'm only this way because of a sad tragic backstory" plot device that backfires easily because she was nothing but a cold bitch for the entire game until this point, leading into how I felt like Evil Delsin killing her was much more satisfying and understandable than Good Delsin sparing her. It'd also be exciting to see Fetch and Eugene as major antagonists in the next game and seeing their characters potentially evolve (they were admittingly pretty good supporting characters, but compared to Kuo and Nix who didn't just blindly follow Cole with whatever decision he made and were much more major/reoccurring in the story development department with constant growth) from their arguably stagnant roles. Lastly, it would just be a great parallel to look back on how Delsin fell to Evil when he lost his flawed personified conscience in the form of Reggie, but Cole stayed on the Good path with Zeke by his side and was willing to give his life in the end for humankind.

So overall, this is how I felt about Second Son's story and where the franchise should head. What do you guys think though?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which ending in Infamous: Second Son should be canon? *SPOILERS ALLOWED*

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:30 am

i think its still to early to say at this point DLC is very likely if i recall and it may expand the story a bit
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:45 am

I've said this to Pirate a few times: Delsin's attitude fits better with an Evil canon to me. His Evil powers are apparently harder to win with to an extent (Cole was tougher as Hero, and Cole canonically was good), which tends to skew the canon in that direction.

Now I have no idea the deeper plot of Second Son yet so I don't have in-game evidence to support my opinion. I'm just going by what I've heard and the series' trends.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Pretty sure I've read they're sticking with the good route this time around as well. I'm fine with that. I mean, either way it really doesn't matter, as either ending didn't change really anything except things with Delsin, whereas with Cole's sacrifice... well... his evil route would've changed the world, just as his canon good route had. Delsin's doesn't really have any huge impact as Cole's choices had.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure they're going with Hero again. I've beaten both sides, and I easily prefer the good side. I was put into an uncomfortable funk after Delsin went all ballistic and orbital-drop'd his home.
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm pretty sure that Sucker Punch hasn't confirmed which ending is canon yet. Believe me, I would've found out at this point if it was with how much searching I've been doing. I agree that the Good and Evil choices weren't nearly as drastic as 2's (it was on par with 1's though), but that's most likely because Sucker Punch is going the route of building up all of these characters and the overall arc to prepare for the sequel where everything goes haywire, like with the original duology.

I like both sides (I love how Delsin repeated Zeke's Infamous 2 Good Ending quote in the Good Ending), but I still prefer Evil if only for the fact that I really feel like Delsin suits being a villain more than good. The latter just felt a bit too predictable to what we've already seen with Cole and I just like the idea of Delsin going bad when trying to do good too much to let go of it. I can get why the Evil ending was unsettling for plenty of fans, but personally, I thought it ended on the perfect note to showcase Delsin's transformation. I mean, unlike with Evil Cole, who could arguably be considered an anti-hero/neutral in certain standards with his endings portraying him as a total badass and taking charge, Delsin went full-on fallen hero from all of this with a really heart-tugging moment that makes you reflect on what he's been through/how he's changed throughout the course of the game despite all of his effort to do right, which is new and I'd like to see where the story goes form there. 

His overall story is more tragic in Evil like how Cole's was more traumatic with Good (Evil Cole still had plenty of heartbreaking moments though, don't get me wrong, but I feel like those elements worked better as What If scenarios than expanding upon them in a sequel compared to the consequences of Good), such as going out to save his people out of being responsible for their injuries out of being selfish enough to keep his secret (which even in retrospect wasn't even that unrealistic to do for a human being) and gradually being corrupted when constantly trying to do good for mankind (seriously, that scene where Reggie couldn't let Delsin on the bus was powerful if you just paid the slightest attention to the facial expressions) which is probably the closest reason I could give as to why I'm so supportive of that direction. 

But hey, I can respect going Good again and I wouldn't mind it, but I do feel like the Infamous series would gain more credibility if we actually went for a canon Evil ending for once (Granted, Infamous 1 is more open ended with how it went down, but the overall story is more credible and believable if it was Good throughout).

And on a side note, I was a bit disappointed that Reggie never really reacted to the Good or Bad choices you picked in gameplay outside of Saving or Corrupting Fetch and Eugene. A lot of potential was missed there for memorable character interaction, especially if you were going Evil. It would've been much more heartfelt to see Reggie possibly still holding out hope for his brother to do good before his death while confronting Delsin about actions such as killing protestors and such. But no, he's pretty much blind to all of the actions Delsin does on the streets lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top