Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Great news for Indie Devs!
http://www.screwattack.com/news/unreal-engine-4-and-cryengine-changing-subscription-based-services
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by DP on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 pm

That really friggin' cool. I forecast an explosion of Unreal games in the coming year. Cryengine to a lesser extent (Unreal is incredibly easy to use by comparison, from my understanding).
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:18 pm

I can't wait for the epic Indie Games that will come from this.  And, yes.  The Unreal Engine is really easy to use, but I have never used CryEngine so I can't really compare the two.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by Memoski on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Great news. Can't wait to see what indie devs can do with this. Expecting many astonishing projects.
avatar
Memoski
New Challenger
New Challenger

PSN : Dsparil2
Posts : 39
Join date : 2013-06-16
Age : 26
Location : Mexico

View user profile http://memoski.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Same here, I can't wait either.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by DP on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:40 pm

This really just proves more and more that AAA gaming is freefalling for now. They'll make a comeback but with how fickle publishers currently are, indie is the way to go for almost any dev.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:20 am

With this, I think we'll see a rise in AAA developers and more and more Indie Devs take advantage of this.  This is also a way of ensuring that only quality developers get signed by a major publisher.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by DP on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 am

There's a good reason why several big names have stopped making AAA games, so I don't see it rising in terms of developer population any time soon. The industry is too volatile for that to happen without a massive AAA bomb - something that fails like FFXIV-1 but on the budget/hype level of GTA V. Once that happens, we'll start seeing dropped budgets on all but the CoDs, GTAs, etc. If Tomb Raider was a failure at 4 million sales in the first month, then I can't even imagine how bad it'll be in a couple years when Battlefield possibly can't be profitable with 12 million.

I do see some naive indie devs going to AAA after a quick foray into these engines, but there's no job security in games at any level but the mid-top (high enough to be Ken Levine but not Satoru Iwata). AA and A level games, though, could get a boost because of this.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Personally, I disagree with that since most of the games from the point of these services start to the future are likely to be hits.  Indie Developers make great games, but there's a lot they can't do due to their low budget constraints and while something like this help immensely.  Getting signed onto a AAA deal would be even better for an Indie Developer to join a major publisher.  And, if they're as good as they have shown in the past they won't have to worry about the job and if they can't hang at a AAA level.  Well, they never belonged in the market to begin with.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by DP on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:03 pm

That logic is so twisted. Nobody wants to be told exactly what to do by a AAA publisher in exchange for lower pay and the likelihood of being dropped after most releases, as opposed to self-publishing while also working a day job. And I don't think Ken Levine, Keiji Inafune, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Cliffy B, and countless more aren't cut out for AAA.
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I disagree entirely.  AAA should be the goal of any developer.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by Chaosdreams on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:12 pm

DP wrote:There's a good reason why several big names have stopped making AAA games, so I don't see it rising in terms of developer population any time soon. The industry is too volatile for that to happen without a massive AAA bomb - something that fails like FFXIV-1 but on the budget/hype level of GTA V. Once that happens, we'll start seeing dropped budgets on all but the CoDs, GTAs, etc. If Tomb Raider was a failure at 4 million sales in the first month, then I can't even imagine how bad it'll be in a couple years when Battlefield possibly can't be profitable with 12 million.

I do see some naive indie devs going to AAA after a quick foray into these engines, but there's no job security in games at any level but the mid-top (high enough to be Ken Levine but not Satoru Iwata). AA and A level games, though, could get a boost because of this.

Bold: Agreed

Red: A series can do bad, however that merely means other AAA developers have to see what went wrong. It will always be a flux of up and down in regards to budget. Some people are better with how they use their money basically.



Anaconda_Vice wrote:Personally, I disagree with that since most of the games from the point of these services start to the future are likely to be hits.  Indie Developers make great games, but there's a lot they can't do due to their low budget constraints and while something like this help immensely.  Getting signed onto a AAA deal would be even better for an Indie Developer to join a major publisher.  And, if they're as good as they have shown in the past they won't have to worry about the job and if they can't hang at a AAA level.  Well, they never belonged in the market to begin with.

Bold: Agreed, personally, Indie developers are those with a high amount of passion, vision and dedication who either don't have the opportunity to work for a tripleA publisher|company, or, in some circumstances, choose to be Indie.

Blue: In certain circumstances, yes.

Red: No job is 100% safe, nor does being in the tripleA market prove or disprove one belongs there.



DP wrote:That logic is so twisted. Nobody wants to be told exactly what to do by a AAA publisher in exchange for lower pay and the likelihood of being dropped after most releases, as opposed to self-publishing while also working a day job. And I don't think Ken Levine, Keiji Inafune, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Cliffy B, and countless more aren't cut out for AAA.

Red: If nobody "wants to be told exactly what to do" then I suppose by that logic, every single AAA game developer is selling their soul to the devil. It's as I've said to Anaconda, two sides of the coin.

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I disagree entirely.  AAA should be the goal of any developer.

Red: Not necessarily, some go from AAA to Indie of their own free will. Others don't want to have control removed from their hands. Others like smaller projects.



In Summary: Indie, or AAA, it doesn't matter, all of the game developers will fluctuate at some point in their lives. Some have a goal that will never happen, others mess up, some succeed and get to decide where they want to go. It's a market, full of ups and downs, twists, turns, and unexpected events.

I just felt like pointing that out, so this small discussion has a third voice.
avatar
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams
Posts : 1149
Join date : 2012-08-27
Age : 25
Location : Ontario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by DP on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm talking purely AAA games here. A/AA games will be fine as usual; the Ratchets, Borderlandses, Telltale games, etc. Will be fine, albeit possibly with more dynamic pricing. I'm concerned about the Tomb Raiders of the world. The demand for graphics has me really worried for them; studios already have a tough time keeping publisher deadlines (barring Take-Two, the most open of the big publisher) when an extra month means a few million bucks.

I'd only wanna work at a Naughty Dog or Insomniac, where games are consistently good and beloved by their fanbases. I'd rather die than work for Activision or EA (unless I was doing something where I could change the decisions made by the higher-ups).
avatar
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27
Posts : 6514
Join date : 2012-09-01
Age : 21
Location : Pennsylvania

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 pm

I know I have a list I would like to work for.

Naughty Dog
Blizzard
Riot
Kojima LA
Sony Santa Monica/San Diego
etc.

All those studios are located in the California area.
avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:45 pm

Cryengine for Haze 2. I just know in the right hands the game can work.
avatar
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994
Posts : 978
Join date : 2012-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by BigBox on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 pm

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/21/take-a-look-at-the-tools-and-features-of-the-unreal-engine-4/

avatar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

Posts : 2983
Join date : 2013-03-04
Location : Irvine, California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine changing into subscription based services

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum