Anime Games (General)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anime Games (General)

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Today, One Piece Unlimited World Red was announced for western release. Not only that, but it's expanding from 3DS exclusivity into Wii U, PS3, and Vita sales. One Piece has also gotten a stroke of luck, since after Unlimited Adventure we had a drought of imports until KOEI strongarmed Bamco into bring Pirate Warriors. Since then, we got the sequel, Romance Dawn, and now this.

Similarly, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle is coming over to the West as well. Saint Seiya managed its way overseas. There's also rumors that J Stars might follow suit, although it hasn't been confirmed.

So, it seems like localisation for relatively obscure anime games is steadily increasing. Now DBZ and Naruto are probably going to be joined by admittedly more niche titles, which will hopefully become a much larger library later on. 

So, what are your thoughts on the increasing localisations? I know a lot of you guys like anime and manga, just from the J Stars board.

And of course, this also serves as a discussion about anime games from the past, and hopes / wishlists / pipe dreams for them in the future.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anime Games (General)

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:53 am

The more the merrier. If they can bring them here and make a profit then they should. Anime/manga has a huge culture in north America. It's visible at any convention, some having 20,000 or more people. Not saying that's factual. But the games would sell with proper marketing, specifically j-stars. 

They won't sell like hotcakes, but it'll sell. After all, nothing will ever change if they don't start taking some small risks (or big.) They have a demographic oversees, we want to celebrate these games as much as they do.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 am

Don't turn this into a J-Stars thread.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:46 am

Chaosdreams wrote:The more the merrier. If they can bring them here and make a profit then they should. Anime/manga has a huge culture in north America. It's visible at any convention, some having 20,000 or more people. Not saying that's factual. But the games would sell with proper marketing, specifically j-stars. 

They won't sell like hotcakes, but it'll sell. After all, nothing will ever change if they don't start taking some small risks (or big.) They have a demographic oversees, we want to celebrate these games as much as they do.

anyway id enjoy seeing more games in general be localized. There are so many great games i want to play that are locked down to japan
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 am

Dammit, my post got deleted before I could post.

TL;DR: Once the trend continues and becomes a near-assumption, fans have to draw a line of quality. I get that right now fans have to buy everything, good or not, because if they don't, future games may not hit the West. But buying shit games breeds the mindset that shit games are gonna sell to publishers. Japan does that enough with anime games, because they tend to hold more loyalty to franchises, and buy in regardless of quality.

Ideally, I'd like to see developers try to get new fans when making games, but again, Japan tends to be much more closed off and in its own world when it comes to development.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

I definitely get what you mean. Well, me and you have already had discussions about that irl, namely about how Romance Dawn actually ended up being pretty enjoyable.

Like you said, in order to simply support it, we don't have much way of knowing its quality. For PW, I knew I'd like it because, well, it's a Musou game. But for J Stars, for instance, out of the similar games I've played, I'm not sold on it. 

But I think for the most part, the majority of the fanbases are likely to be a bit older (little kids / highschool Freshmen tend to like Naruto and Bleh the most, with some DBZ sprinkled on top), and so, I'd hope, a little wiser with their money.

Of course, that's not always true, as there are still plenty of people that still buy the Naruto [shit]Storm games which I find incredibly detestable. But by-and-large I do think that when or if the point comes where localization becomes an assumption, excluding maybe for favorite series, fans will start to place a stricter "seal of quality" on it so to speak.

Also, Anaconda, I had no intention of turning this into a "J-Stars thread' because that game already has one, unless you mean an overall discussion of anime and manga (which of course is not the aim of the topic), which might become a side conversation considering the subject matter.

I reiterate from what I said there: I honestly don't care if you dislike the various series and characters that others like. That's on you, so don't try to act superior for liking ones that are mostly popular with elementary school students and socially inept and/or nostalgia-goggles clad teenagers.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:51 pm

On the topic of Naruto gamws, I actually saw another Storm game at Gamestop not too long ago and thought "wait, another one already?" It caught me off guard because it flew under the radar. Of course, I didn't buy it because I know first-hand how meh the Storm games were from playing them at your house a few times. Then again, I was never a huge fan of the One Piece Wii game we played, either, so that kind of fighter isn't really my style (though since Clash grew on me somewhat I'd be inclined to give OP a second shot).
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:20 pm

The One Piece Wii game was... definitely not a fighter, although I did have tons of fun with it. It was actually just a tacked on Vs that let you play as all the bosses and grunts in the game. The game itself was actually kind of a RPG / beat-em-up, and was pretty dec. at that.

And yeah, to be honest, I haven't realy been able to follow the Storm games. I remember after 2, there was Generations, which had the pre-timeskip characters, then 3, which added like 48789056 new characters. After that, I vaguely remember a special addition of that with one new character, and now I believe they're on Naruto Storm Revolution, which is adding NPC boss characters from 3 and all that jazz. I'm not 100% sure, though.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 pm

I like the Storm series, however, they are milking it now. The first one was fun, nostalgic even since it was all of the characters when they are young. When Storm 2 rolled around it was fun, but the lack of online tournaments at that point sort of made the game feel empty. Then Generations came around, which was essentially the first two games combined with the Akatsuki thrown into the mix. Having the tournament play finally added in, it became clear to me and my other friends how unbalanced certain characters are and how the abuse and spamming always overcame any sort of skill level (I'm a Kiba user, all about speed, and even with speed there's some things you cannot avoid.)

I didn't buy Generations, merely played it at my friends. Then, Storm 3 got announced, and I was under the impression "this must be it, the series is reaching its end." And the game actually includes portions of the war (I didn't finish the story mode, because it was downright boring. I've detested their story modes since the first one (the only approach I enjoyed.)

Then out of the blue, another one comes out, I didn't even hear about it and it sounds more like an extra addition rather than anything else. Yet, to go even more on top, there's another one under development.

Now, the fighting mechanics are fun, but with so many releases it's essentially following the Cod formula, except the community isn't that large, so the moment a new one is released, the community consistently divides, and then the enjoyment of whatever genuine competition their is fades with spamming if not a completely empty lobby system where you face off against the same people, waiting on their thrones, spam button at the ready.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 pm

I stopped following Storm at around 3. Imo, it didn't have the charm the first 1 had. Actually, it lost it's charm once Storm 2 hit. It was like they were making all these changes in mechanics and adding all this stuff to make the game more .... "competitive" even though there are still gonna be OP characters(lol Minato and the Puppet users) and simplistic controls while ignoring some fan services. The clashes were awesome, the Ultimate Supers were epic and you could fight on walls! What the hell happened to that?

I'm sorry if you make something as epic as Storm 1 that was similar to how the Ultimate series had with their supers going which was all cinematic and relatable to the show, but decided to dumb that down so hard in the sequel, then I think something is wrong.

Shoot, every time I pop in Storm 2 or generations, I just feel like playing Storm 1 or the Ultimate Series.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Storm 1 definitely looked the best gameplay wise. Although, I didn't really care for Ultimate Ninja's Oujis because it was just... too much. Like, they tried to turn it into DBZ before the anime / manga got there. They were cool at first, but took too long and lost their novelty.

The redeeming factor of Storm 2 was the epic boss battles in the story mode, which were done fantastically. Other than that, the gameplay got stale fast. The series is best for fanservice.

I always preferred the CoN series. Nostalgia aside, the first two aren't nearly as good as I remember them having been (though they were still fun, at the very least), but the Revolutions refined the gameplay. 

It was much more "complete." It was both basic enough to just hop in and play, but also good enough to be decently competitive. The Substitution system was so much better in these games because the combos were actually formed by the player. The character selection was varied and everyone played in their own unique way, and I like that there was a good deal of experimentation there.

Like, Storm has every character *basically* the same. There's some deviation, like a puppet-using branch, a ranged-focus branch, etc, but in CoN Rev series, which was NA exclusive, they mixed it up with a grapple character (Komachi), charge character (Baki), super-armor tanks (Bando), and took the puppet character of Kankuro and took him to the next level with Chiyo.

The mechanics of the games actually advanced per game, rather than simplifying to accommodate a roster of 100+.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm

I definitely see what you mean which is why I thought Storm 1's cinematics were great. It was just the right amount of epicness without feeling too monotonous and overdone. As for fanservice, I always thought Storm 1 did it best disregarding character selection and boss battles. Storm 2 definitely had very epic boss battles along with 3's but, it would be nice to clash jutsus outside of cinematics.

And actually, I find it funny that it only took a shit ton of Naruto games to finally put in Choji's Butterfly Gohan form. Was there any other games that actually put that form into a game other than 3? Cause I could be wrong since I have only played a couple Ultimates, the Storms, and a few of the GBA and DS games.

I haven't played the CoN series as I didn't have a Gamecube at the time but I did played the demo. I wasn't too big on fighting games back since all I did was button smash so I favored the simplified controls of Ultimate's. But looking back at it now I really would to give the series another shot with the Wii releases.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Hmm. Not sure on Choji's Butterfly.

GNT4 (CoN4, basically; Japan only) had the Sound Four, but I don't know if Butterfly Choji was actually in the game. I haven't really played a lot of other Naruto games let alone as Choji, so I don't really know.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

The Dressrosa Colisseum + playable Law + Doflamingo boss was added to Unlimited World Red; it seems the PS3/V and Wii U versions are going to have some extra content. Apparently this new area comes with a "Colisseum Mode," which may include multiplayer Vs (up to 4) with the bosses and such becoming playable.

So that's pretty cool that they are indeed adding stuff to the port.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top