Maleficent Movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maleficent Movie

Post by Count Mario on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:51 am

Teaser Trailer:

Once Upon a Dream Trailer:

I have to say... this is the first live-action Disney film I've ever been excited for in my entire life (I know you're just itching to correct me with Marvel movies, aren't you). I mean, granted, I really liked Tron: Legacy and the Pirate films (well, at least the first two. The fourth was alright, but I prefer not to think about the third) but I got to watch them all very late in time due to not looking that captivating. And they have tried live-action tales based on traditional Disney films in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Enchanted (it's actually a satire than a specific direct adaptation, but it borrows enough elements and references from Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty to the point that it might as well be some weird fetus made from their entangled DNA strands), but those just sort But this... wow, there's just something here that borrows just enough from the source material's tone and art design (as in the original Disney film), but can also go off in a truly different and just plain awesome direction. I mean, when I heard that this was going to be made, I was just like "eh", but then I watched these trailers today and now I'm freaking pumped. Seriously, more people need to know about its existence, this could really go somewhere, especially with such a fantastic character such as Maleficent having her perspective shown with evidently no sign of trying to write her in a drastic direction that makes us feel bad for her or anything like that (not that we won't if we learn more about her past, but the point is that they still keep the essence of her being a magnificent bastard. Or technically in more feminine terms, a gorgeous bitch).

But with Disney being Disney and to its credit, having a whole ensemble of memorable and intuitive villains that are literally just as a part of its formula for success as the heroes, we're bound to see more villain movies like this. Actually, i think they're going to retell famous stories in general since a live-action Cinderella movie's gonna come, but I'm not interested in it at all. I'm sure there'll be a new interpretation and Cinderella will be less cliche and more human, but an aged tale like Cinderella that's literally the forefront princess cliches just isn't my thing. In fact, I can even watch Snow White and be much more invested than snoring through Cinderella, who's one saving grace is how traditionally god its villain actually is. I'm open to seeing, say, a Jafar or Hades movie since they definitely have some interesting perspectives to tell akin to Maleficent and are just as great at what they do as antagonists (I would love a Frollo movie with all my life, but especially after taking more than the typical public risk with Hunchback of Notre Dame, it's not gonna happen in a million years), not to mention they already fit in with tales that are timeless. But Disney has already confirmed a, as bizarre as this is, a Cruella movie. Check it for yourself:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-preps-live-action-cruella-639169

That... I don't know what to feel about this. As ironic as this sounds, when I think of good and strong Disney villains, Cruella just isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, I liked 101 Dalmatians a bit and she has some decent dialogue and memorable scenes (DAT CAR CHASE) that make me like her as a character. BBut in terms of motivation, actions, intelligence, etc, everything that makes a good villain, she tends to falter at every single one. Mainly when compared to how good a villain as, say, Ursula or Frollo. Hell, I think the only main reason she's famous to begin with is that the song named after her in the movie, which to its credit was catchy, memorable, and funny to listen to. In the end though, she's just an old woman who hires two idiots who constantly fail at what they do to kidnap puppies in order to skin them for fur coats because she has some weird fetish for them and goes apeshit at the end with a car chase. Even if you could try to find some way to alter this interpretation of her, what can you really do with this? I'll wait until I see the teaser trailer, but... meh.

But enough boring Disney fanboy ranting you don't care about. What are your thoughts?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Maleficent Movie

Post by Fabsta1994 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I still think they could have gotten something better than Angelina Jolie.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I think Angelina Jolie was the perfect cast and I can't wait for the Maleficent movie! =D

I'm so interested in it!
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:43 pm

i think hades is the better disney villian but i am excited for this movie
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:50 pm

dragonfire111 wrote:i think hades is the better disney villian but i am excited for this movie

Jafar's pretty cool too!
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm

I've seen the teaser twice at the theater and I almost laughed both times. The effects look so awful that I will never be able to take this movie seriously. If you're gonna throw vines to show your villain's power, make it look half-decent.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top