Nintendo Direct 2/13/14

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nintendo Direct 2/13/14

Post by Count Mario on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:53 pm

So basically, we got Little Mac revealed for SSB4 and info on games already announced. So in general, the Direct post-opening was pretty lackluster unless you you were already interested in the games they focused on. So hyped that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is getting released for E-Shop in Spring though, and I loved the launch trailer for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (DAVID WISE'S MUSIC IS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD. Totally buying this launch day next week).

Oh, and the Koopalings are playable in Mario Kart 8. All seven of them (unless you count Bowser Jr.). On one hand, I worry about too many character slots being wasted, but on the other hand, it's pretty damn awesome that the Koopalings have FINALLY appeared outside of a platformer in, well, forever (baring Superstar Saga and a few the CDi Mario games). And I wasn't too hyped for Yoshi's New Island before since they barely showed off anything, well, new, but I'm actually interested in it again. Good show, jolly good show.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nintendo Direct 2/13/14

Post by DP on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:08 pm

The big announcement that's gonna get overshadowed is that Nintendo is diving into F2P. The way they'e done it with the two games announced so far is pretty much the ideal way to F2P (though the baseball one could be sketchy). It's a sign of further progress into the internet though. And, y'know, X getting shown for the first time is also pretty big.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:12 pm

That's the thing, X was already shown. They basically just showed two battles, it wasn't really as revolutionary as Iwata tried to pass it off as lol. Not to mention they still don't have a name for it.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 pm

I wouldn't call walking around surrounded by prerendered cutscenes "actual" gameplay compared to seeing a battle in action. That's just me though
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Yeah, but it's not really all that much. We still no little to nothing about the game. It's a notable step, but... that's all I can really give what I saw. I'm just telling it like it is. So far, this is like FFXV was in its early stages of being revealed. It needs more to really sell me.

But in regards to the OP, yeah, I should've mentioned it lol. 

Although, on a side note, KH3's reveal trailer used pre-rendered cutscenes as well when I kept saying real gameplay hasn't been shown. Not trying to bring up old scars or anything, just realized that. I was wrong about it being revealed, but it still didn't show any legit gameplay.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 am

I haven't been really keeping track of Mario Kart 8. So, ballpark estimate, how many characters do you think it's supposed to get? Because I remember a lot of people crying about the babies (heh), and now there's these 7 Koopalings that will no doubt start a ton of whining amongst the game's followers.

Mac looks great. Can't wait to play as him, since he'll likely fit my overall playstyle pretty well. For some reason, as Marth, I get into the character during his idle animation-- as in, he's just being like "yeah whatever I'm fabulous" and I get that cocky mindset and just wait for the other player to come at me. Then, on offense, I play rushdown like should be, and fuck around with people when they get out. Well, maybe I don't do this so much anymore since I'm garbage at the game now, but DP can attest to this. I taught our friend MD how to dodge efficiently by doing this.

Mac looks like a faster, albeit with shorter reach, kind of "Marth." Also a lot more high energy. I get the same "idle animation" feel. Like, in Sengoku Basara, despite being, well, what it is, when I'm playing Ieyasu and I'm holding block I feel it Mr. Krabs. Definitely gonna' be the first person I try out in Smash For, unless he's hidden for some reason.

Sidenote: I want to say I'm "disappointed" that there was no Hyrule Warriors info, but that would imply that I expected there to be some.

Sidenote 2 Electric Boogaloo: Has Ninty officially announced this year as Year of Yoshi yet? I know his new games are coming out, and even if it's unsaid it still is his year, but have they said it? I only bring this up because I saw a 4chan "leak" earlier today (it was probably one of the least believable I've ever read) that said the Direct was going to announce it, the two Yoshis, a secret third game, and a revamped Yoshi for Smash w/ Baby Mario on his back (among other things).
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:54 am

bayo 2 looks great as expected from platinum also excited for X
and i love little mac
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 am

Well, SEGA already declared this to be the Year of Sonic. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:56 pm

There's a Yoshi 3DS coming out for the new game, he's got one of the first GBA eShop games, he's got a Zone in Lost World, and Yarn Yoshi is probably hitting late 2014. But at this point I don't think Nintendo is gonna do a "Year of" for him. The Year of Luigi is STILL going strong (Christ, guys...), Sonic has his own Year of Inevitable Disappointment, and Zelda has just as many games coking this year as Yoshi does, probably more once we get that MOTHERFUCKING MAJORA'S MASK 3D/HD confirmation. RAAAAAAAHHHH.

Ahem...sorry. So while I think it SHOULD bee the Year of Yoshi, the more I think about it the more I realize it'd be dumb to shoehorn in Yoshi stuff for the sake of it. Though I still have to question why they didn't even mention Yoshi in 3DW if they weren't gonna capitalize on his absence last year during this one.

Honestly, it's the Year of Nintendo. A bunch of high-profile releases surrounded by smaller-but-good niche titles all coming in rapid succession, in addition to further modernization. This year for Nintendo could be Sony's 2013 in terms of fanservice and relative success.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by papertoonz on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 am

yeah the Direct started off strong with little mac but died down as it went i mean we really didn't get any "big" new game announced and not being a fan of Bayonetta and not really interested in X right now there wasn't much outside of little mac and maybe mario kart 8

also on the topic on characters in mario kart so far 8 has the same amount as Wii with 24 (with the characters whose playable status is still unknown are)

Spoiler:

from Wii

Birdo
Diddy Kong
Bowser Jr
Dry Bones
King Boo
Funky Kong
Dry Bowser

and from 7

Metal Mario
Shy Guy
Honey Queen
Wiggler
Lakitu

so who knows and besides this isn't a fighting game so it's not like characters take for ever to design and make, it's mostly changing bars on how they drive
papertoonz
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : cj5_4_ever

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top