Sly Cooper Movie Gets First Pictures and Details

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sly Cooper Movie Gets First Pictures and Details

Post by DP on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:54 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/IanJames007/status/428236336131502080 (couldn't get the desktop link without signing in, sorry)
Ian James Corlett confirmed that he is Sly. I couldn't find a source from Miller saying he wasn't contacted though.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by King_Tetiro on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:10 pm

DP wrote:Okay, I'm getting used to Sly's new look, now that I understand that he has pants on, which explained the weirdness of his legs in the one image. His voice is upsetting but bearable as it's mostly accurate.

Same. I think it's just the initial reaction to the trailer. After watching it a few times, it's not a big deal.
King_Tetiro
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : KingTetiro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 pm

First of all, the scenery looks absolutely gorgeous, but this was my reaction to the Cooper Gang's CGI models:

And even then, it feels like such a shame that this movie doesn't have its own unique art style. Both because the Sly Cooper series has showcased some spectacular sights with being either cell shaded or in 2D animated (which I was personally hoping for if there was ever a Sly movie), and so we could've at least had a chance of the models looking good because it seems like Sanzaru's the only company to get a modern Sly to look even remotely decent. It just seems a bit of a shame to make a series like Sly into a beautiful, yet generic art style (not that it won't look great, I'm just Saiyan). I'm just hoping that Rainmaker won't be whored past those mentioned franchises though, barring potential sequels (but let's save that talk for another time). And I don't really see any that'd fit, except maybe LittleBigPlanet, but how would that work?

Secondly, I was actually going to make this point until I was glad to see DP bring it up. Working on both R&C and Sly at the same time is a big no-no from a company like Rainmaker. If I remember correctly, they're still polishing up Heavenly Sword too, and I'm not even going to bring up Jak and Daxter (out of both the ridiculous schedule and the fact that I have no idea how they'll be able to adapt that clusterfuck of a backstory into the silver screen).

But moving on from all of my criticism here... I'm fine with Sly having a new voice actor. Now, I agree that it's absolutely inconceivable why the Kevin Miller couldn't be brought back with Bentley and Murray's VAs back (along with James Arnold Taylor, David Kaye, Jim Ward, and Armin Shimerman for R&C), but honestly, he got the job done in this trailer. I'm just hoping that we won't get another David Hayter MGSV scandal here.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I can only assume that Blockade/Rainmaker will either be bumping up R&C to early 2015 and Sly to late 2016, or that Sly is gonna get delayed. Safe bet is Sly is just entering production with the concepts and basic script finished, that Ratchet is in full animating/polishing/editing stages right now, and that Jak is in preproduction and will hit 2018 (if the imdB rumor is to be believed). Then the PlayStation Avengers movie happens a year later lol (to coincide with PSAS2 plz?).

Pixar DOES have an amazing production model, one I wish game studios would emulate: They animate one film with most of the studio while the principal artists are doing concept art for another and the plot is being written for the second or perhaps a third movie. By the time the trailer for Ratchet was uploaded last year, I'd assume they were entering full production, with the script likely mocked up already (TJ Fixman has a few scripts done right now, as-is!). Also, Rainmaker Vancouver is doing R&C, while I don't see any source to whether another studio is currently doing Sly. If THIS is the case, this is full Pixar mode, with a skeleton crew starting up Sly (explains the year long gap between the reveals) while the rest of that studio crams to help Vancouver finish Ratchet as soon as they can (so that they can get both studios to work on Sly while Vancouver starts the next film).

Lastly, I'm REALLY curious about why Sucker Punch is the studio being worked with. If that doesn't confirm a SP Sly 5 being made after Second Son, I don't know what will. Makes me wonder if Sanzaru might get relegated to making good Vita exclusives of these franchises, too...

All in all, this research makes me feel a good bit better about both movies. I didn't know there were multiple studios in Rainmaker before I did some research.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 pm

theres multiple studios...wow Sony have been quietly building up their own business model, and they are following the Marvel model (These 3 will cross over, but i doubt it will coincide with PAS2 (wah) but it may coincide with Playstation Heroes 2. notice the lack of move in my title. also remove all the suck, minigames etc. i could design a good game around these 3 in my sleep) 

and i don't think the voice is that bad and the Sly design is growing on me (Not Murray though, fuck Murrays new design), and the environments are stunning, i actually thought  it was real life in the stills, which made me scared because Sly is no Rodger Rabbit, that would end badly.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

If J&D gets announced, watch Josh Keaton get the role for voicing Jak instead of Mike Erwin. Again. Actually, I think it'd be for the third time. Regardless, totally calling it. And personally, I've gotten used to his voice as Jak over time, it's good to see some progression from Mike's Christian Bale Batman impression.

And I was going to bring up a crossover until lpool stole it from. Curses. But regardless, I was thinking about another Sly game myself, but I didn't know that Sucker Punch was collaborating with Rainmaker. That's pretty epic, and I think it's possible due to the fact that the series has pretty much been building up to Second Son if you notice all the clues and references about the NSA being up to no good, so SP could cap the series for a few years with a full trilogy.

Only thing that I'm worried about are these models being used in a new Sly game. Doubt it'd happen, but you never know...
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

I would like to see the Uncharted and Twisted Metal movies now, please <3
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 pm

i beat you to that one dude

lpool1996moh wrote:I expect that anyway

The trinity on the silver screen?  Awesome, especially as they are animated. Whatever happened to Twisted. Metal and inFamous? And Uncharted?

wow we agree on something? 

lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

About that Sucker Punch comment...

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/28/sly-cooper-movie-sneaks-into-theaters-in-2016/

It says here that they basically only said "good luck" with the movie being produced. They aren't taking a hands-on role with it at all akin to Insomniac with Ratchet & Clank. Now, I'm not too worried about this given how Sanzaru could get a decent story out for Thieves in Time (barring the Penelope scandal), but let's not get our hopes up about SP making another Sly game.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:04 pm

IGN lied to me....why am i not surprised
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Ah okay, I was going purely on what the thread had said before lol. Either way, we know a Sly 5 is going to exist around 2016 (though probs earlier due to Sanzaru having not announced a game since 2013). Perhaps they'll tackle Jak 4 to set it up for a movie, in the mean time.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I love Sly's look to be honest…I love everything about it except THE MURRAY's design! :P

It's weird…

I can't wait haha!
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Some studio analysis:

Rainmaker is trustworthy with multiple franchises. They have done two movies a year most years, have done 13 since 2007, and released four in 2006. Now, these are mostly Barbie movies, but CGI gruntwork is still CGI no matter the franchise.

Blockade fills the gap here, as they exclusively work on using game assets and turning them into movie assets. This would include particle effects, which makes Ratchet a whole lot easier to do for Rainmaker. Sly, not so much. Blockade is doing post production on Heavenly Sword, right now, so Rainmaker is full-steam ahead on Ratchet, which according to the initial press release, IS hitting Early 2015 as I had assumed earlier. Sly is currently aimed for Early 2016, according to some sources, but the vagueness is probably to give leeway to the studios.

As noted earlier, there are two studios at Rainmaker: Vancouver and LA. Safe bet is LA is mostly working on Ratchet or finishing concepts/major scenes up for Sly so that - and here's the big part - they can show off scenes from one or both movies at the European Film Market next month. (Source)

Good shit.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:48 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:Cell shading is hard to translate to the silver screen.

also they had to give Sly pants.

It doesn't have to be cell-shaded. But it doesn't have to look like that.

Dat squirrel like face.

Dat big chin.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Real_Radec13 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:38 pm

No kevin miller. Fuck.

http://www.examiner.com/article/kevin-miller-wasn-t-asked-to-reprise-role-of-sly-cooper-for-the-movie

I also agree with him about a sly cooper animated series being awesome.
Real_Radec13
Challenger
Challenger

PSN : Duck_mann86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:29 pm

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/02/05/3458817/producer-brad-foxhoven-details.html

Not much news outside of production details, but we did get another word that Sucker Punch took involvement. Also, it'll be in 3D too.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top