What are the best 3DS games out right now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What are the best 3DS games out right now?

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:29 pm

this is more of a personal thing but i would also like some discussion. my 3ds collection is rather barren ATM. i have 2 games (Yay) in Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus Uprising. so i'm just wondering, what would you guys recommend to purchase next (well after Kingdom Hearts, i must buy KH...if i can fucking find it.). I kinda want to know your opinion, not only for myself but also to start up some decent discussion.

Personally i'm looking at the likes of Fire Emblem, Project X Zone, Animal Crossing and Link Between Worlds as the best "Value for Money" games but i wanna know your thoughts.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the best 3DS games out right now?

Post by DP on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 pm

My best bets for value would be Animal Crossing or FE: A
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 pm

I'd recommend both of the legend of zelda games, both new and remake. Fire emblem and Animal Crossing. I also here a good amount of talk about Bravely Default.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Rune Factory 4.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game. One of my top Zeldas (it's been a month, by the way, DP). Personally, I'd suggest this, but objectively speaking you'd probably get more playtime out of the others being that they're more RPG-ish. I've heard FE: Awakening may be the best in the series, and it's accessible to casuals that may have otherwise been dissuaded because of perma-death. 

New Leaf appears to suck the life and soul out of the player leaving them a husk of themselves by literally forcing them into simulational slavery, but all Animal Crossings are super addicting, so that's not surprising. Probably the best bet at getting your money's worth, I suppose. Dunno about Project X Zone. I was interested at first, but not so much now.

If you might want to look into other games:
As for RPGs and stuff, well it isn't my cup of tea, but from what I can tell there's quite a library. You'd have to look into that separately. Bravely Default is getting some hype, and if you like the Ace Attorney games, there's one on 3DS. There's a bunch of Shin Megami Tensei games, a series which my friend Josh loves. Then there's Tales of: Abyss. I played Vesperia and that was good. I'm assuming the combat is at least similar, but I have no guarantees if it'd be a good buy.

There's a Resident Evil game, too. Speaking of Capcom, there's SF lV, which I heard was a pretty crappy port. And speaking of Fighters, I believe there's a BlazBlue. Tekken 3D Prime has... absolutely nothing to do in it. There's like 2 modes, and you aren't even able to choose your opponent to fight. I returned it immediately. I guess it's supposed to be for more competitive play since Tekken has kinda' been drifting apart from the casual scene (although TTTT still had Arcade ending for all like 60 characters + customization; better than SC V, but I digress), but for a 3DS title I don't think it was a good idea or a good game.

Smash Bros For 3DS is coming out this year. I don't care if you're also buying the Wii U version (please do-- if over the 3DS version-- it needs the support), it's Smash Bros. You NEED this. I also rather liked Luigi's Mansion 2. There's also Mario 3D Land and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. The former I heard was okay, and the latter looked pretty interesting. Mario Kart 7 I heard was very fun. I don't have much to say on those, but they're Mario titles. 

Generally, they're pretty good, although since I actually played Weegee, I can say it definitely doesn't have the "soul" of the first game despite having vastly improved gameplay. Unfortunately, it's most of the time-consuming factor comes from backtracking. While the first game had tons of it, this game is mission based so it should be able to bypass that, but it doesn't. The "replayability" comes from finding gems, which ultimately ends with nothing special. You get a crystaline Luigi statue for each area that serves no purpose other than to look at. It's literally a trophy for your accomplishment, but... it's kind of a hollow victory.

I don't recommend OoT: 3DS. Maybe it's because I've beaten the game upwards of thirty times before I got it (my current tally is 36, for the record) across N64, GC, and a Rom once (I really hate the keyboard), but the remake offered me nothing. I get that it's a remake, but they added a boss rush and some Gossip Stone hints, they could add like a bonus dungeon or something. Maybe the Unicorn Fountain being implemented now that they could easily melt the ice in Zora's Domain? Whatever. My point is that it doesn't really have a draw to it unless you haven't really played it before or you're a much, much more die-hard than me.

My first, and for a long while, only 3DS game was Samurai Warriors: Chronicles. You need to like Musou games, which most people understandably don't. I got tons of playtime out of that because I'm like autistic or something.

Shinobi looked like a decent platformer. I believe I watched a video a long time ago about all the items or something. I don't know. 

I've been meaning to buy Sonic Generations for 3DS, but never got around to it. It's pretty much all the 2D sections, but it at least has a different level set than the console game so that's good. Speaking of portable counterparts to home games, Arkham Origins: Blackgate seems... maybe good? I haven't looked into it. There's also one for that Lego City game, and I think the Lego Marvel game. By the looks of it, there's a few other Lego games, too. Quality? I don't know.

There's some puzzle games and party games. A Mario Party I think, Professor Layton, Brain Age probably, I think Tetris, whatever.

There's also some anime / manga games. The Naruto / Rock Lee one was kinda' fun based on the demo, but was probably very limited. The other one... don't bother. As a One Piece fan, I almost have to advertise those games, but they're only out in Japan, so you can't play them anyway.

(I was looking at a Wikipedia list of games. Some of these haven't been released. Oddly, when I clicked on the link for King of Pirates, which I remembered from a magazine article forever ago, it redirectred me to FLCL. For a second I thought there was going to be an FLCL game for 3DS).
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:26 pm

so i'm hearing alot of love for FE and Animal Crossing. also Link Between worlds but its short (And expensive) so i'll probably pick up the next one of the two i see on the cheap. so could i ask what makes these games you mentioned so good (This is all of you) cause most of your descriptions are "This game is really good" which helps no one. i wanna see discussion as much as recommendations you know?
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Blackgate was the definition of repetitive from my understanding.

And I'm going on popular opinion, lpool. I'm still holding out for the Purple MM3DS that I just know will come out later this year.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Blade, I'm ashamed that you didn't bring up Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. It's pretty much on-par with Bowser's Insider Story, which is widely recognized to be the best of the series. But besides that, everybody else has stolen every title I could mention (but just to comment on Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, it's a great game, but just don't come in expecting it to be like the first one. If you don't have that bias while playing, it can be as fun or even better than the original. WHile the first focused more on replayability and a "creepier' atmosphere, Dark Moon has a better storyline and a more linear but enjoyable playthrough).
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:01 pm

I thought LM1 was pretty linear, but that's another topic for another day.

Mario and Luigi should last 40-60 hours so that's another value choice like lpool was looking for.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Eh... not really. Not that I mean to derail the topic, but between having to find all of the Boos, access secret passageways or do certain procedures to capture optional Portrait Ghosts, getting enough money to get the top rank for the ending, getting gold frames after capturing the Portrait Ghosts, and just being in an overall overworld where you travel back and forth between floors introduced plenty of replayability. I mean, it's still quite linear, but there's a clear difference when compared to Dark Moon.

Additionally, I would also bring up Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D if you didn't play the Wii version.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 pm

I didn't play Dream Team but, I did play Weegee's Mansion 2 so you can be ashamed of me for not mentioning that one.

Plus, I'm really addicted to Rune Factory 4. I'm so close to finishing this game yet, so far from getting there.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shikiyakumo on Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:01 am

Shin Megami Tensei IV is amazing but brutal.
shikiyakumo
LANDMASTER!
LANDMASTER!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:18 pm

For the record, I hadn't played Luigi's Mansion 1 in a LONG time (and at that, I had never finished it) before playing the sequel, so I did enjoy it as its own game.

I did very much enjoy it, and I was saying I preferred it, but then I played the first game with DP and our friend and I forgot why I loved the first one so much, although DP very much did not.

It was a fun game and the gems were hidden creatively and all that jive, but like I said there's really nothing to gain from getting them. I know the experience is it's own reward, but it just doesn't feel that way to me in this case.

There are some missions which take you to new parts of the mansions or some variations of the same areas with like spider webs or something, but there is SO much area backtracking which for a mission-based game should not happen.

However, the bosses were great, except for the ice one. Fuck that guy.

Anyway, on topic, the only one of your choices I can elaborate on is LBW, so lemme' get on that.

It's very, very true to its predecessor, LttP. If you played and loved that game, this game will be extremely familiar to you. It has the same map, which might actually be a drawback to some wanting a more wholely new experience, but is nonetheless great homage. It has all the shops and characters and details and whatnot.

As far as the game itself, it definitely brings a lot of changes to the Zelda series. Rather than going into dungeons designed around it, you rent them or, when you have the money and you've reached the Dark World, you can buy them. When you die, any rented items go back to Ravio and you can rent them again. When you buy them, they never leave you.

Because of that, the dungeon order is nonspecific and you can choose to tackle whichever you want-- FOR THE MOST PART. The first dungeon has no choice, the second and third you can pick, then you have free reign on 7... kinda. You need to beat Thieve's Town in order to be able to rent the item for the Desert. Each dungeon is specific to an item, yes, but each can be useful there, and are more useful in the open-world. Which, for the record, is very open. And yes, there is a fast travel.

Because there's no order on what items you can have, you can basically do every sidequest or get any piece of heart whenever you want (but not quite, because there are passive Gear items you don't rent). After you buy them, you can also upgrade them via a Golden-Skulltula-esque sidequest. The difference here is they give you a map of how many of this item are in each area, and they aren't very hard to find.

Something I love about the game is that there's NO AMMUNITION. You'll never have to worry about running out of bombs or arrows because there's a stamina bar. I loved that you could harvest bombs in SS, this is like that on crack.

The game's puzzles are creative, but not terribly challenging. They aren't too too easy, either, so don't worry about that. Bosses are creative and fun, although there's a lot with the "eye" trope. However, the eye isn't necessarily the weakpoint.

Dungeons themselves are varied and diverse (hurray for synonyms), but all in all have great design. Each also has a major item you can use to upgrade your stuff. Well, the Sanctuary also has one, but don't worry about that. 

The story is... okay. It's a take on the "beauty is power" thing that you'd probably be familiar with if you've played Dynasty Warriors and know who Zhang He is. However, aside from the beautiful main villain (like Ganondorf but gay), there's also the parallels with Hyrule and all that. It's pretty decent, although some will argue that the open-worldiness of the game kinda' detaches you from the story a bit, which I guess I agree with, but whenever you enter a new part of the Dark World Hilda brings it back for you.

Minigames are present, like every Zelda. Not a fan of them in this game. Cucco dodging is kinda' tough (at least the expert level) and is also the controversy of speedrunners, since to 100% the game, you need to survive 16 minutes in it to get a giant Cucco, but whatever. There's also Octorok baseball, which is terrible. Other than that, there's Rupee Rush, which is... there, I guess.

The atmosphere is pretty cheery in the Light World, and the Dark World isn't necessarily "creepy" like MM or tense like LttP, but it's definitely evil. On Hero Mode, bumping into an enemy will likely kill you in one hit when you first get there.

Oh yeah, Hero Mode. Enemies do 4x damage, but you can still gt hearts. Not sure if I like this tradeoff, but when you get a-rollin' it isn't too hard. Some bosses do insane damage, but hey, you need to beat the game once to unlock this mode, so you should be able to make a plan of attack so you can get items to make it easier on you. I haven't beaten Hero Mode yet, but I'm on the final boss, who is so far the most challenging part. I tried it once and lost, but that's mostly because I'm too impatient.

It is a pretty short game, but if it were any longer it'd start being like Skyward Sword in that it's just dragging out the experience of a good game with unnecessary filler that lessens the quality overall. It's fun enough so that, if you liked it once, you're going to like it again. Unfortunately, there's only 3 save files (like every Zelda).

If you have any specific questions, perhaps as far as the game's features or, if you're a Zelda fan any series-specifics (like if the Water Temple of the game is terrible, which, for the record, it's actually pretty okay), feel free to ask.

I'd definitely say it's worth the money, but like I said, you'd probably get more playtime out of any of your other three choices.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:50 am

FE A and M&L dream team are my faves
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top