8th Generation General Discussion

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 8th Generation General Discussion

Post by BigBox on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:10 pm

The Vita TV brought in a nice profit in Japan and widely demanded outside of JP. I don't think that this is a surprise that they're releasing it to the West as the demand for it out here is high.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33 pm

It sold 60,000 units and was outsold by the PSP every week from week 3 onwards. That's not exactly a nice profit. Though the Japanese market was never gonna be good for a console that plays handheld games; the Japanese barely like consoles to begin with anymore lol. In the West it has a better chance at success, but Sony isn't one to think rationally all the time so there were reasonable doubts that it'd ever hit shelves anywhere else.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 pm

I think that best question is out of how many shipped? I know predicted 500,000, but I don't think 500,000 were shipped. I think that the Vita TV will find a good amount of success in the West as the West does like consoles more. Along Vita hardware being more demanded than one would think by looking at the sales. Western gamer's aren't ones to go throwing money at a handheld unless they know what to expect. There is still plenty of room for the Vita in the market, but it isn't an easy climb when all of the games you bring to Vita are multiplatform. It however does have its list of games that do make the system worth buying, but even with that it's still hard because Nintendo has dug themselves in as 'the top handheld gaming device.' Pretty much, Sony needs to keep showing the Vita love and try to lock up some exclusive niche titles for it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:27 pm

I think the issue with the end of your statement is that the key titles that sell the Vita almost all don't work on VTV due to the touchpad not existing. (And also that in my opinion third party exclusives don't work on the Vita for some reason. CoD, AC, and at least one other I'm forgetting all bombed despite being what I THOUGHT would be system-pushing games before launch. If they put an exclusive Ratchet, and expanded upon other franchises, they'd be golden, but outside of a few half-assed attempts like Wipeout, and a few genuine ones like LBPV, they have shown no real dedication to keeping the Vita supplied.)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:43 pm

DP hit the nail on the head. the VTV needs a way to simulate the pads, else you cant play the real big hitters on the machine which were...i dunno DESIGNED FOR THE OMITTED TOUCH PADS! Tearaway COMPLETELY revolves around the damm things! 

however as we said from the start the real purpose of the VTV is actually...

The ability to connect with this feature is the key to the VTVs success (once the service is actually useable, its gonna be buggy as balls at launch for 2+ Years.) as its a cheap way to access em with...oh it comes with the required Dualshock 3 WHADDA YA KNOW? its success lies in families who wish to play these games who don't own another Sony device, or XBox gamers who want to try out the library. However if you own a Ps3/4, a bravia TV etc, theres no point in the VTV for you, might as well buy a Vita for that sweet sweet Remote Play action. 

that said...this isn't even VTV. its the PSV slim that came out in Japan a while back. the one made of cheaper plastic with the OLED replaced with an LED screen etc. we were due that one before VTV anyway, if we get VTV at all. the PSV slim in corporate eyes has more merit, Selling a decent, cheap to make with decent returns system that can play your entire library of 10. it also actually took off decently in JPN. so although VTV will be a success over here, this is due first.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:05 am

Well, technically (and by technically I mean actually) VTV is the thinnest PlayStation device, at 1.5cm thinner than the Vita 2000. So IF it is the latter, then the former is confirmed to be dead, because Sony wouldn't flat-out ignore a device they have expectations for in a big tease like this.

I actually expect the VTV to launch at the end of this year in Europe, possibly with a subscription to PSNow that would be activated in fall. If this isn't the reveal, though, then it died a quick, painless death.

Though it is important to note that this reveal is the same day as the Nintendo state of affairs, January 30th. So I could see them marketing the VTV more than the 2000, since it'd be their chance to nab the market of gamers who want a huge back catalog that PSNow and the Vita both provide. Though again, it COULD also be the 2000, for almost the same reason. I just wouldn't expect a big marketing event from Sony for something we 100% KNOW will hit the West and at a price we already know, compared to an unknown that has a myriad of price options for if it were to hit here.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:55 am

DP wrote:I think the issue with the end of your statement is that the key titles that sell the Vita almost all don't work on VTV due to the touchpad not existing. (And also that in my opinion third party exclusives don't work on the Vita for some reason. CoD, AC, and at least one other I'm forgetting all bombed despite being what I THOUGHT would be system-pushing games before launch. If they put an exclusive Ratchet, and expanded upon other franchises, they'd be golden, but outside of a few half-assed attempts like Wipeout, and a few genuine ones like LBPV, they have shown no real dedication to keeping the Vita supplied.)
Didn't they make it so you can use the DualShock 4 on the VTV to play those touch pad games?  Anyway, just talking Vita in general they need to get more exclusive games on the unit and they need to do it within the next two, or three years.  If not, the Vita is officially dead and worth no one's time.  Not even Sony's and it's time to move onto the next thing.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:56 am

That was, according to all research I've done, a rumor - about DS4 touchpad support, I mean. Sony never officially acknowledged it from what I can find, just sort of saying "you can use a DS4 on the VTV just like the DS3." Though there was an ability to use the sticks as pseudo-touchpads, R3 and L3 enable the front and back touchpad menus, at whinch point you can clumsily use them as a workaround. BUT, from what I've read, any touchpad-heavy games don't even boot up, namely Uncharted and Gravity Rush.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:07 am

That's odd that Gravity Rush wouldn't load. I can understand Uncharted, because that would require some code changing and an update. However, with Gravity Rush if the Vita had two more buttons (L2 and R2) you could play the whole game without ever touching the either touch pad. If I remember the gameplay correctly.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:49 am

Oh yeah, definitely. But I'm guessing it's too much work for Sony to relegate a team for that patch, rather than just omit it from the sequel.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 am

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131658-Monster-Hunter-4G-Announced-For-Nintendo-3DS

Nor my favorite business model (rehashing and slight updates that could just be DLC), but it's Capcom so what can we expect. This does mean another 4+ million pieces of 3DS software sold on this alone, though, because Japan and Monster Hunter being fuckbuddies.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am

im actually beginning to wonder when capcoms actually gonna die out they dont have much money left and they keep making shitty decisions
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 am

Monster Hunter is the best life support ever?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:59 am

Let's just wait until Re: Resident evil comes out and kills all profits lol.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/27/nintendo-reportedly-planning-to-leverage-mobile-devices

If true, this plan is actually ingenious, although flawed. Releasing demos on the app stores would promote hardware sales and step into the mobile market, though the amount of applicability is sort of small due to the lack of buttons. Besides that flaw, this could work quite well, but that flaw is quite limiting for the possibilities.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 pm

DP wrote:Let's just wait until Re: Resident evil comes out and kills all profits lol.
I'm gonna disagree, because every Resident Evil that has released so far has been the most profitable in the franchise.  Resident Evil 6 actually made more money on release day than Resident Evil 5.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Profitability is relative to budget. As far as I know, we have no clue the relationships between budget and sales figures on RE6 (I'm sure 5's budget has gotten out there somewhere). I'd assume 6 had a much higher budget than 5, just going by the expected sales figures Capcon wanted from it, so day one sales could mean squat here.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:54 pm

That is true, however Capcom has not shown any displeasure with what was sold and made. I'm assuming they made what they wanted and possibly more. I imagine that Capcom will sell off some back catalog franchises coming up here to buy more time.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:40 pm

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5356564/nintendo-earnings-q3-2013

Nintendo's loss probably won't be as bad now thay they know they had quite a relative success over recent months. That said, all of Nintendo's executives are willingly taking paycuts, all from 30-50%, including Miyamoto. Pretty respectable move.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:47 pm

I remember when 40 CEO's at Sony, including Kaz gave up their financial bonus after making a lot of money to put back into the company. Credit to Nintendo, I like these stories because it shows that the employees care about the company they work for which is a good thing. Because, that means happy employees and happy employees mean good product.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah, these types of things always affirm my respect for the uppers at a company, because it at least shows that they care enough about the business to drop their pay, even if it's not really for the fans (I'm a cynic when it comes to people themselves). Love them or hate them, Nintendo is a respectable company; I gained immense respect for Iwata when he refused to make layoffs, because he's absolutely right that a stressful environment is not good for game development, which is in itself stressful at a professional levelwithout all the other factors.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm

DP wrote:Yeah, these types of things always affirm my respect for the uppers at a company, because it at least shows that they care enough about the business to drop their pay, even if it's not really for the fans (I'm a cynic when it comes to people themselves). Love them or hate them, Nintendo is a respectable company; I gained immense respect for Iwata when he refused to make layoffs, because he's absolutely right that a stressful environment is not good for game development, which is in itself stressful at a professional levelwithout all the other factors.
and how can you say nintendo is bad when there is EA, Capcom, microsoft, and Activision who basically do whatever they can to get a short term profit
sure nintendo isnt completely innocent theve done some messed up things but with how the laws are so outdated when it comes to this kind of stuff (copyright and ownership etc) youve got some respect in my book by not following the asshole companies
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Okay, so here's the gist of Nintendo's conference:
MK8 hits in May
No price drop in sight, Nintendo will make the GamePad more useful to compensate
Nintendo will license out characters, BUT not for other consoles or smartphones. Think Hyrule Warriors more than Mario on PS4.
Nintendo will catch up to the smartphone craze by creating some sort of app for Nintendo Network ID users, probably akin to the PlayStation app.
The DS Virtual Console will be coming to Wii U. This likely means they're gonna open up the 3DS VC too eventually.
And the last one...well...

Nintendo seems to be entering the health care market. They wish to introduce "non-wearable" peripherals that increase the quality of life. After Wii Fit was a success I guess I see where they're getting this follow-up from, but without any more details it seems a bit too Wonderbook for my liking.

Edit: Upon further reading, I understand some more.

The DS VC seems to be analogous to the 3DS one in the press conference, so this is Nintendo's link cable from GameCube to GBA, essentially.

They're using the improvement of personal health as a way to draw in more non-gamers, like Iwata has done with the Wii and DS. It's apparently not necessarily a living room device, as well. Perhaps we'll be seeing a DSLife?

There is going to be a BIG marketing shake-up around the GamePad. They plan on making a bunch of quality titles for holiday 2014 that involve the controller heavily, so expect Bayo2 and other games to get more invested in the controller. Also, it seems Nintendo May actually focus on advertising the U this year instead of falling back on the 3DS. Iwata said that because they split the marketing this year, nothing "exploded," leading to a poor performance overall. This year seems to be the Year of U lol (and if they actually use that phrase I will be pissed).

Lastly, Nintendo is buying back a BUNCH of shares, over a billion dollar's worth. Iwata didn't deny the possibility of a merger/acquisition with/of another company, but nothing us currently lined up, he says.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:that said...this isn't even VTV. its the PSV slim that came out in Japan a while back. the one made of cheaper plastic with the OLED replaced with an LED screen etc. we were due that one before VTV anyway, if we get VTV at all. the PSV slim in corporate eyes has more merit, Selling a decent, cheap to make with decent returns system that can play your entire library of 10. it also actually took off decently in JPN. so although VTV will be a success over here, this is due first.
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/30/ps-vita-slim-announced-for-the-uk

lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:00 pm

Welp, RIP VTV.
DP
Staff