8th Generation General Discussion

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 8th Generation General Discussion

Post by DP on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Michael Pachter says Nintendo should become a third party: http://m.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a544992/nintendo-should-go-third-party-says-analyst-michael-pachter.html

Therefore, Nintendo definitely shouldn't become a third party lol.

I also saw a really interesting article involving Nintendo becoming the next Sony and essentially buying up studios to make their first party portfolio much more consistent than just Retro, since they have a few billion bucks laying around, but I can't remember what site it was.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:17 pm

michael pacter is a moron if nintendo does what he wants them to do noone will trust the brand again
also despite all the negative stuff with the wiiu nintendo is actually doing increadibly well lately right now they are worth more than ALL of sony (not just the gaming division) so the people saying nintendo is doomed like pacter all only listen to the negative news when it comes to nintendo
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:59 pm

I feel the problem is twofold: 1. The shareholders knew for an entire year that the U wouldn't hit 9 million; Nintendo knew when they made those numbers that they were incredibly highballed, just like the nevergonnahappen levels of 3DS sales they expected in this economy. Yet everybody decides to make a big deal out of it NOW as off Wii U bashing wasn't the fad of 2013. Shareholders are apparently retarded, since they had to wait until it was spelled out for them that Nintendo had a bad year.

And 2. The fact that Nintendo took this long to say this in the first place. Yeah, I get they were waiting for holiday sales, but there is no precedent against raising your estimates if need be. So to the common man/uneducated journalist, it seems like suddenly Nintendo realized that the Wii U has issues.

(And the third is common for all news stories: A. People assume "We failed to reach our goals" is analogous to "We failed with this console and there is nothing we can do to save it ever." And B. People forget that despite the 3DS "failing to reach its impossible projections, it QUINTUPLED the Vita. For the second straight year. Everybody laughs off the Vita and focuses entirely on Nintendo, which is exactly the kind of shit that draws me to have to defend them more than I'd like to.)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:30 pm

yeah whenever people talk about the 3ds doing bad i love pointing the vitap and watching them go all defensive on it XD
also i guess this gen will be the pick on nintendo generation though they really dont deserve as much hate as they get (im not saying they are completely innocent but people are ridiculous and unreasonable when it comes to anti nintendo stuff)
why cant we all unite against EA Activision and other shitty companies who actually deserve hate
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm gonna have to agree, they should go third-party, or better yet. Second-party to Sony. >:)
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 pm

I would call you out on that comment but that's exactly why you said it. Nobody with sufficient knowledge of the industry ever agrees with Pachter unless they're trolling or kidding.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

I don't care what Patcher says, that's just my opinion.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:06 am

you literally just ignored everything i posted
ok ill say it slowly N I N T E N D O I S B I G G E R T H A N S O N Y
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:08 am

No they aren't, Sony sells TV's, stereos/speakers, Walkman, smart phones, tablets, laptops along with the PlayStation brand.  Nintendo just sells consoles/handhelds and Hanafuda cards on the side.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 am

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131152-Nintendo-Stock-Doubles-In-Last-Few-Months-Now-Bigger-Than-Sony
okay theres my source now wheres yours
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:04 am

To be fair, with how far the stock plummeted this week, Sony might be bigger again. But the fact that a dedicated game company even comes close to one of the most revolutionary companies in electronics (who else can claim they were responsible directly for three of the four biggest changes in data storage in the past 30 years?) makes a point on its own. Sure, Nintendo's wealth is pretty much the closest gaming will get to old money, but it's still a fair point since it's been accumulated from generations of the usual Nintendo business model. (Which, ironically, is the problem right now, though is a problem I'd expect rectified in ideology rather soon.) Sony really has to shut down its TV line before that kills them, because they really should have the kind of money to "buy" Nintendo for a worldwide enterprise of its magnitude, not enough money to be SMALLER than it lol

A semirelated tidbit: The Wii U outperformed both the PS3 and Vita in their respective first year Japanese sales (as well as first 13 months to include full holiday sales for the first two). This isn't really big news since the PS3 launched at $500 and the U at 60 or 70% of that (depending on the U model), but since the U had an even worse first year of titles than the PS3 (not sure how that's even possible) and since this emptiness was well documented and compounded by a vastly different handheld-loving market of Japanese gamers, one could stretch an argument that this is somehow a positive for the U. I won't because there are too many factors in something like this to make a true comparison. It's just data to acknowledge. I'm personally curious about how the PS4 will do in it's Japanese launch. I expect it to do very well early on due to hype trains and such but then die off for a while because Sony is ignoring Eastern games right now. Though there are a lot of rumored Eastern first party studios developing under-wraps games for the holiday season so I hope I'm wrong on that.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

yeah your right but the shit i see everywhere about how sony should buy nintendo is pissing me off because it makes no sense sony fanboys are the worst when it comes to avoiding negative press about sony
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:18 pm

People tend to neglect the fact that gaming is barely profitable for hardware. Microsoft hasn't made a cent in twelve years, which is why you really can't blame them for making an entertainment box instead of a gaming console. Nintendo and Sony are the only two in history to succeed consistently, with the former having always profited due to SD and handheld simultaneously making cash and the latter due to, well, being the big dog for 20 straight years. Even then, Sony has lost money in SCE before (Vita, SixAxis, Move, the real PSX, and the PS3 and PSP despite succeeding overall had really bad reps for a long time), as has Nintendo (Virtual Boy, GameCube and N64 through the same reasoning as PS3 and PSP, GameBoy Micro, 3DS for the first year, and as of now the Wii U), even if Nintendo always made an overall profit. It's a huge misconception that gaming is easy to profit on, and that's why we assume things like that Sony still has a huge bank from the PS2's hardware (even though they threw most of that at PS3 hardware development), or that used gaming has no drawbacks to it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:44 pm

and theres also the fact that games are becoming more and more expensive to make
especially the graphics which ironically i dont give 2 shits about if the games good XD
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Graphics uses to be a non-issue but once I jumped into HD I'd be lying if I said I'm not spoiled now. I can still play graphically middling games but the gameplay and story better make up for it lol. If you have two of the three you're great. If you have all three you're contending for one of the best games in the genre to me (see: Ni No Kuni).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:30 pm

I say that they should buy Nintendo, because I don't wanna buy two different consoles to enjoy good Nintendo games.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:45 pm

but they physically Can't. they are only worth slightly more than Nintendo as a company overall.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:58 pm

I'm assuming you mean PS(#) and Wii U, not Wii U and 3DS, because the latter doesn't make as much sense in the context of this discussion. But you're still neglecting to acknowledge the fact that Nintendo is as of right now worth $200 million less than ALL of Sony (the stock drop cost them about 1.2 billion bucks). Sony would not be able to pull that off. A merger would be feasible but neither company is willing enough to try that since doing so puts both at risk.

Edit: Apparently, Nintendo's stock was at this same point a month ago; the stock climb to $18/share came seemingly due to the Christmas sales and due to Nintendo's 340% increase remarks, and the fall has really just brought them back to what they've had for most of 2011-13 (actually a bit higher than most of 2011). So essentially, the people that sold probably bought on a whim anyway a month prior, and Nintendo is exactly at the same place as they would've otherwise been. TL;DR: The hullabaloo about Nintendo being screwed is actually more ridiculous than we thought.

Last edited by DP on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Get ready to laugh:

Nintendo is allegedly building a dual console/handheld combo called "Fusion" that runs the latest in tech, according to some anonymous source. I'm talking DDR4, high end AMD proceessor.

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01/nintendo-fusion-could-be-nintendos-next-gen-hardware-name/

I laughed so hard when I saw this, that I just had to share the bullshit with you guys.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm

I had a feeling they would be looking to replace the Wii U in a couple of years.  Nintendo gets a smiley face for the smart move.  cheers
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I had a feeling they would be looking to replace the Wii U in a couple of years.  Nintendo gets a smiley face for the smart move.  cheers
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm sorry the Wii U was an abstract failure and cost Nintendo 1.2 billion in stock prices. I'm sure they can make it back by replacing it and getting with the times.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:08 pm

oh my fucking god, NEVER RUN A COMPANY! 

1: Why do you put any faith into an anonymous rumour that just so happens to be something alot of people are calling for right now?

2: Why would they replace the U before the big hitters arrive? yes its flopping but it will claw sales back when they hit, then slowly it will start to profit as components become cheap and as the U is using outdated Kit already that will happen faster than you think. Games start hitting too. 

3: Taking the U off market does more harm than good. alot of their problem comes from consumer trust, as they were duped into an inferior product with Wii, (Along with all the other problems the U has) so how do you repay the loyal fanbase? by throwing their 300$ down the drain in 2-3 years? 

4: even if this IS real (Its not) these are normal practices. work on the next console starts almost as soon as the last was out the door, with constant upgrades made over the current products cycle to fit the dream with the best products that are available by the time the product hits. this "Fusion" if it is real will come out in 2019/2020.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 pm

If the Wii U is a failure, what do you call the Vita? Or the Vita TV, which has sold about 60,000-70,000 units (dropping below the PSP in weekly Japanese sales after three weeks on the market). I'm honestly curious as to your response, just to see how you'll state one number to make your point (nice job ignoring the stock climb Nintendo had to $18 in the past month, and only mentioning the drop back to the average of $14, by the way).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm

i'd say the Vita is in a similar situation to what the PsP was when it launched, it'll also carve out a solid niche. Vita Tv is obvious. it launched din Japan, Japan like Handhelds. Math is done. it'll do better (much Better) overseas. 

That said its too early to call any console a flop, The Vita is last gens PsP, the U is the Ps3. they will carve out niches, damm good ones and do just fine. they may only barely break even but thats okay (Plus software..)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top