Dragonball Z: Battle of Z

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dragonball Z: Battle of Z

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:24 pm

This really surprised me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyK1_rEWBII&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This game, unlike previous installments, is worth playing! The demo is incredibly fun as it is monster hunter-esque in terms of teaming up with other players and supporting them as you fly and shoot shit and ricochet enemies across the map.

333, I know you got this game.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dragonball Z: Battle of Z

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:06 pm

I thought this was a great idea when I first heard about it a few months ago. The multiplayer (competitive, not cooperative) could blow though. It depends on how it's executed. Hell, I'm not sure the co-op will work well, unless they took account of upgrading levels and such.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:10 pm

i had a lot of fun with the demo.  I'm a little sad there's no local multiplayer though
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Seems like another cash-in game that the people making won't care to make good. As long as they make money, so the only thing that will look good is advertisements.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Atleast it isn't press a button and win like ultimate tenkaichi was.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 pm

That is true.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Seems like another cash-in game that the people making won't care to make good.  As long as they make money, so the only thing that will look good is advertisements.
That seems to be the basis of your opinion on any perennial franchise you don't like. If it were a cash-in, we wouldn't see a long development cycle and release gap from the most recent (and clearly cash-in) game in the series, nor would we see an entirely different gameplay system. It'd be like calling ARR a cash-in: The game before is a total piece of crap, but a new development team is making this one with care.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm

To be fair, majority of the time when a game has a license as big as, DBZ. It's because it is a cash-in.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Generalizing isn't really being fair. I can name over half a dozen anime examples alone that counter that, franchises that are huge in Japan. The only ones that have been cash-ins lately are DBZ (since Tenkaichi 2/3 until Kinect, which all played more or less exactly the same) and Naruto.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Either way, it still seems like an awful cash-in.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:10 pm

So even if Blade (your main source of hands-on FFXIII-3 opinion) claims the demo is really fun, a new studio is in charge of it, and it's completely different from the previous 10 games, it's still awful to you based on franchise alone?

DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:46 pm

No, Final Fantasy was a video game franchise first and I see nothing about the new FF game being a cash-in because the developer took the time to make it good.  Which is the exact opposite of what a developer will do for a cash-in game.  Until proven otherwise, this game is better left in the pile with the other cash games the DBZ license has released recently.  It's nothing to get hyped for just yet.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:07 pm

The whole XIII franchise has been CONFIRMED as cash-in by Square's execs. We've heard straight from the source that 2 and 3 exist to make a profit off of the assets used to build XIII-1 because the effort put into that game could never be made up in a single release. I.e., they needed to cash in on the new engine and HD models. Not that I was calling it one, of course; I was referring to XIV-1 when I sai. the quality was shit.

And it's BEEN proven otherwise that this game is a soulless cash-in game. From TWO people on the forum that have played it, and several high-profile gaming news sources who have praised the changes made so far to the Tenkaichi formula. Including one of your favorite sites to reference here.

So yeah, that whole "until proven otherwise" thing is sort of invalid. Not that it would ever be proven to you, as I've not once seen you consider an alternative opinion seriously.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Game developers re-use assets all the time, there's no breaking news about doing something that everyone in the industry already does. By that logic, every sequel ever is a cash-in because at some point they used old assets.

I still reserve my right to claim that this is a soulless cash-in.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:24 pm

Assets are rarely the prime reason for a sequel though, as is the case with FFXIII-2/3.

And you have a right to. But you could always just remain silent instead of causing a dispute for the sake of it. That comes awfully close to trolling in my book (that statement is mostly buffered by the fact that this isn't the first time you've done it in the past three days alone). I don't clamor on the comic thread about how I dislike comics, because there's no reason to start a pointless debate.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:29 pm

You would think that, but with a quick texture change, slight re-design and clever placement.  You could never tell it was re-used.  What you think is rare is actually a popular business practice, especially among 3D games in HD.  It helps cut down on production time and allows the developer to focus more on more important things like, gameplay.

I merely posted an opinion, you didn't have to reply to it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Blade merely made a thread you didn't have to post an opinion on it

just learn when to keep silent.

That said...i kinda have to agree in a way. its not really a cash in but i'm under no illusion that its gonna be a good game. its like alot of Anime games. good in VERY small, mindless doses.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 pm

I know how common it is to reuse assets. I've done so several times myself. But you cannot say that it is common that a game takes so long to develop that the studio publishing it decides to make several sequels just to try to break even. Because it isn't. No company throws millions more dollars at a development team just because they have some leftover assets. I think FFXIII is the ONLY series that did this, and it's because Square Enix was dangerously close to failure; so close that they're just now getting out of it after blaming Tomb Raider for the financial failures of the XIII and XIV (and eventually XV) subseries.

And on opinions: You can express them, but when it's clear you're doing so harmfully without any noticeable reason besides possibly wanting to stir the pot, it's probably better you ignore the thread. Or, alternatively and preferably, you can do so in a way that doesn't come off as you just wanting to hear your own voice (figuratively speaking).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:06 pm

They don't, but that's ultimately up t to the developer.  There's nothing wrong with re-using assets by any means.  It is most definitely a common business practice and it has worked for years.  I'm sure at some point, Tomb Raider did under perform along with the Final Fantasy franchise.  However, XIV is doing good and the first XIII was technically not a failure.  Financially, Final Fantasy XIII was a success, XIII-2 on the other hand is a clear financial failure and, Lightning Returns will like fail financially as well, but that won't mean LR is by any means a 'bad' game.  XIV is doing good and I highly doubt that XV will fail financially.  I would disagree with, Square-Enix being close to failure as their products have taken a better turn as of late.  Capcom will die, no question about that, but I don't think Square-Enix will.  In any case, your argument would still suggest that every sequel ever is a cash-in because of re-used assets and being made because of the success of the first entry.

You guys don't post a lot of interesting things, I have to post my opinion somewhere, or I'll have nothing to post at all as a reply since the threads I'm most interested in die off.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Well, I see what you're saying Anaconda, but I just want to put this out there. There's a difference between reusing assets for future titles, and making whole sequels out of the sake of supposedly getting your money's worth for assets that you will reuse. Whether the XIII games are bad or good though, that's opinionated.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:14 pm

ok hold up! FFXIII sold well but its losses still made it a failure, Tomb Raider wasn't, it just wasn't a big enough success. Capcom are failing, but at least they know what can make a profit (Street Fighter, Monster Hunter and Resident Evil) so they will be fine for a good while if they only scrape. Square NEED to get to FFXV and KH3 then they will survive, even with the Monumental loses they made from FF (all in recent years including XIV, XIVARR and anything XIII related, LR will follow that pattern.) and the likes of Sleeping Dogs. Tomb Raider was one of their best profits in a while.

But that doesn't matter. THIS IS ALL OFF TOPIC! Dudes, take this discussion elsewhere before I Kamehameha you out (I say that in full knowledge i can do Jack.)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:15 pm

I want SSJ3 Raditz. Who's with me?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a different thought process of re-using assets. Personally, I see re-using assets as a way of being able to cut-down on some time and focus it more on the mechanics/gameplay of the game. Which in my opinion are the most important thing to a video game.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Count Mario wrote:I want SSJ3 Raditz. Who's with me?

Only if we get SSJ3 Nappa
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Sure. And let's add some Great Ape Broly on the side.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top