Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Post by BigBox on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:09 pm

I found this article and thought it was interesting.  Sony Denmark posted this picture.

http://www.psu.com/a022046/Sony-Denmark-adds-fuel-to-Crash-Bandicoot-speculation-

Also, this article as well as to, Naughty Dog referring to 2014 as a "very special time in Naughty Dog’s history."  It could be something, or could be nothing, but there is enough to speculate.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/12/16/big-naughty-dog-ps4-announcements-coming-in-2014/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crash Bandicoot Discussion

Post by DP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm still 100% behind the notion that Crash will never work on a post-PS1 console. There's been one game that provided evidence contrary, and most everyone hates Crash of the Titans. There've also been two games that actedas more evidence: the first two Jak games. After the first WAS Crash 4 in every essence of the term, it bombed as a game; a game that could take days on PS1 lasted mere hours on PS2. Jak II proved ND felt the Crash formula couldn't work. (Hell, ND's lack of a good Jak IV idea back before TLoU started preproduction shows that even the extended formula failed.)

Unless we see a PSN release, Crash can't work. Just like PaRappa, the thing that made him unique on PS1 killed him right afterwards. A PSN release, though, could work like the recent Rayman revival (which succeeded everywhere except sales, because nobody wants to spend $60 on an old school platformer when you can buy 100 of them for the same cumulative price on PC).

TL;DR: Crash is dead unless he's made purely digital. Even then it's 50/50.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Saying that is like saying no one wants a, Mario game anymore and that clearly isn't true.  I think that, Naughty Dog can revive, Crash Bandicoot and make it something a lot of people are willing to pay $60 for.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Mario =/= Crash. Mario defined 3D gaming with his first adventure. Crash made a game with hallways the likes of which we've only seen in FFXIII. Well, Crash made THREE, with minor changes between them. The 2D sections of Crash 3 (was it 3? Maybe it was 2) were the most lasting of the series, just like Rayman. Everything else has felt dated. Just like Croc, except Crash had a marketing campaign. That's the only difference between the two. 3D Mario has survived on making big changes each game, but keeping them styled right. (Galaxy 2 is the exception by technicality.) Crash died because the changes were too small or way too great to the effect of breaking the style.

And the ONLY people that would fork our $60 on a Crash game in 2014 are the people that would fork put $60 on Knack because "Mark Cerny is a genius. He made Crash!" Over half of the people that beg for Crash to come back are backseat fanboys: They'll claim he's a legend up until they realize that they'd have to skip out on Uncharted 4, inFamous Second Son, KHIII, FFXV, etc., to buy his new game. Want proof? Look at Rayman. Rayman was one of the PS1's BIGGEST franchises (look at top twenty software sales), but once it came down to one of the best platformer in recent years (that could apply to Origins OR Legends), it sold at a pace worse than Fuse. Fuse sold less than 100K copies, and that's a highball estimate. Crash is the same way, but with a slightly larger following. Which means slightly higher possible sales. But still not enough to lead to an HD development cycle. The game would either last 4 hours or take a massive loss.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 pm

I feel like we've been through this song and dance before.  Someone says "Crash could come back."  DP says "It can't work."  I say "There are an infinite number of ways you can reboot a series."

Either way, i still hope its true
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 pm

That's true, but how many can be profitable in the era of 1080p? It's not even about "possible" anymore; now we have to think about what's reasonable. And bar a Kickstarter run, we won't see a big-budget Crash game on the market. And more likely than not, ANY Crash game on the market.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 pm

And I agree with Dp, it's true. Make it faithful, it doesn't hold up, change it and you won't make any money. It's a smart buisness decision to NOT make crash.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Developers always surprise me with how intuitive they can be.  As long as its not Activision, i'm sure they can think of something.  Like I said before, puppeteer was only $40 and was a platformer but i loved it.  Even if he is fully downloadable and at a discount, i still think crash could be great fun.
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Except his games don't hold up. It's like everything rareware ever made, fun at the time but they are shit nowadays, copying the Crash formula = bad game no profit, reinventing crash = angry fanbase, no profit. See what I mean. Look at DmC. It's a good game, but it changed way too much.like wise look at Duke Nukem, it was good, for the time it was meant to come out, didn't hold up. It takes something really special to reboot successfully, I don't think ND has that magic in a non hyper realistic setting anymore, Activision never had it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Honestly I think it goes to show if Ratchet, Sony's Mario, has held on budget prices for several years straight (A4O was budget after the first two weeks), then Sony knows how to price these things. The old era games don't make money. ACiT barely made bank and that's why we see the cheaper models and lower frame rate. Same with Sly 4, and Puppeteer. Crash would survive at $20 on PSN, because it could last four hours and be worth the money. But even old era games like Sonic barely hold reasonable value at above $40 nowadays. I can guarantee a $60 Crash game would fare as well as A4O, if not worse.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:42 pm

I think me and, marko are the only optimistic ones on the site about a new Crash Bandicoot game.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm

*high fives anaconda*
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Optimism isn't realism. I'd welcome a good Crash game. But I'm not gonna act like it can easily happen. Especially not with ND's overinflated budgets.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:39 pm

Well, I can't say anything here that hasn't already been said. DP and lpool pretty much hit the mark here.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 am

I'd love a new Crash game whether it's possible or not.

PSN release sounds like the best route though unless there's an overhaul in game-play or something like that, idk.

I'm down for Crash 4 on PS4! (Or Vita) :P

About Parappa, I can see his games work on Vita as well lol
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:11 am

Yeah, P-Raps could easily work as a Vita platformer or something. Just a matter of Sony taking a shot at it instead of letting him wallow solely in rhythm games.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by 0CTAVE on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:36 am

Funny you mention that because I had this idea of having a Parappa the Rapper platformer similar to Rayman Legends music platforming levels. I could honestly see that work sooooooooo well and revive Parappa! 0.0
0CTAVE
Staff
Staff

PSN : Slayer5228

View user profile http://pastadium.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:12 pm

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm

If they had the rights a game would've been done or announced by now. There's no reason for a Crash game to have more than a year and a half development cycle in 2014, where an extra month ups the budget of most games by at least a million dollars. The only excuse would be a full-on reboot, which will 100%, I promise you, bomb like Knack for core fans. Nostalgia doesn't sell by itself - look at the Wii U.

I hate to be that guy, but Crash 4 is actually LESS likely than Banjo Threeie at this point.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 am

I mean, they're probably in discussions with Activision to purchase the character and the reason for posting things like that is to convince Activision to sell.  It's just a speculation, but I hope that ND can get back making those games one day.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:22 am

I'd be psyched for a new Crash Bandicoot any day.

butletsnotforgetMediEvileithercoughcoughwinkwinknudgenudge Wink
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:42 am

If Naughty Dog couldn't get Jak to work I doubt they'd go back to Crash, especially since none of the ND employees from the Crash era are left. Most of the Jak era ones are gone too.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:12 pm

I would only want Sony to own Crash so they could put him in PSAS. Not because I want him, but because the nostalgia would help with the roster complaints.

But they let PSAS drop instead of supporting it. So that's not happening.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:35 am

Meanwhile, they put AAA budgets into "games" like The Order that can't possibly return investment and won't score well enough to give them good PR to outweigh the hit to the wallet.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:27 am

What are you talking about?  The Order looks brilliant, and especially to the mud slinging fest SuperBot made.  SuperBot should have never made that game.  It was a terrible choice to pick a developer that had no experience as a team, which matters more than individual expereince.  Which is probably why Sony gave them such a lack luster budget, so they could see whether or not SuperBot could deliver and they didn't.  I'm glad they dropped the game and SuperBot when they failed to produce.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top