One Piece manga discussion

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: One Piece manga discussion

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:57 pm

I gotcha'.

Although, I would suggest watching Strong World and Film Z at some point. Neither are canon, but have canon characters and tell about some more history of the One Piece world. Also, there's a slideshow of characters as children during the credits of Film Z and I'll be damned if I don't cry like a pansy thinking about how every character once had a childhood.

Also, I'd suggest reading Oda's one-shot "Monsters," especially when the ghost ship appears (not naming any specific part). There's no anime adaption, unfortunately.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:01 pm

So yeah, I'm at the end of the Syrup Island arc (where Usopp gets introduced). Wow, I don't really think I ever truly valued how awesome and well-developed Usopp's character was, in hindsight.

Every character having a childhood isn't the sad part. The fact that every one is tragic beyond belief is what always tugs my heartstrings (seriously, seeing Chopper's backstory never fails to tear me up a bit). And isn't Strong World debatably canon since that's one of, or the only movie that Oda had a specific hand in creating? But thanks for reminding of those.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Well, he had a hand in creating the characters. But he did the same thing for Strong World. It takes place at a point where, canonically, there's not leeway for it. But the characters themselves, and the backstory behind it, are canon.

Anyway, yeah, to be a Strawhat you have to be a woobie when you were a kid. Usopp probably had the least traumatic childhood, excluding the last two (one's trauma happened in his teens instead, the other, as far as we know, didn't actually have any sort of terrible early life).

But it's not just the SHs in the slideshow. It's the Shichibukai, high ranking Marines, etc. Come to think of it, there's actually a lot less in there than I thought.

But the point is still there. The slideshow ties into the main villain, who wanted to be a hero when he was a kid, and it shows him dressed like one and it's just... fantastic.

It's that EVERYONE in the story had a childhood. It's only like one picture each, but it's still enough to gather a fair amount of what their life was like, and the potential they once had, and then we remember what they've become. Call me a teary-eyed sissy, but that shit gets me every time.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Count Mario wrote:So yeah, I'm at the end of the Syrup Island arc (where Usopp gets introduced). Wow, I don't really think I ever truly valued how awesome and well-developed Usopp's character was, in hindsight.

Every character having a childhood isn't the sad part. The fact that every one is tragic beyond belief is what always tugs my heartstrings (seriously, seeing Chopper's backstory never fails to tear me up a bit). And isn't Strong World debatably canon since that's one of, or the only movie that Oda had a specific hand in creating? But thanks for reminding of those.
oda wrote strong world and film z. according to oda himself strong world is canon and film z isnt

also about the childhoods its quite ironic how everyone always thought luffy (before his childhood was revealed) had the least bad childhood and he ended up having one of the worst ones
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Nobody tops 
name:
Robin's.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 pm

yeah robin has the worst one (though we havent seen brooks yet)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Well, we have. Like I said, as far as we know, nothing bad happened to him as a kid. But we certainly know how much his life sucked at one point (trying not to spoil).
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu May 29, 2014 9:25 pm

chapter this week was pretty good we are about to learn more about don and law
with that good chapter and HXH coming back im super hyped about manga right now
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Carazon looks... too much like Doffy. I have a theory that what Momonosuke saw when he freaked out was actually him, and the reason for Carazon's death has something to do with Kaido and the SAD deal. 

Actually, just thought of this; wouldn't it be cool if Momo's fruit, having been on a pedestal, was actually a personal commission by Doffy to Caesar to try to recreate Corazon's DF? Or what if it actually was his DF?

Anyway, chapter was pretty awesome, but short. Can't wait to see more Zoro vs Pica in... two weeks? It can't be helped since Oda has a medical condition, but... man.

I know I've said like a dozen times in the past "okay, the 1v1s start here," but this definitely seems like the perfect time to. But it's pretty odd to see Zoro vs the top henchman come up before any other major one. I mean, Diamante, Trebol, Machvice, Lao G, Baby 5, Dellinger, and
Senor Pink (and maybe Buffalo; not sure if Kuros snapping his neck like a bamf fully took him out of commission) are still around with no one to fight yet, unless the gladiator group with Luffy decides to deal with them. Which would be epic and a definite change from the regular "major arc" format.

Franky's bound to fight at least one person. Robin was matching up against Trebol pretty hard earlier, so it'd be pretty awesome if she fought him, although he seems to outmatch her by a whole hell of a lot (being that someone about equal to him is fighting Zoro). Excluding Luffy, who we know will fight Doffy, that leaves Sabo, Koala, Hack, and Bartolomeo. I sincerely hope Bellamy shows up to fight someone, preferably Dellinger.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri May 30, 2014 10:12 pm

yeah im pretty sure the fights are starting now but ive been wrong before sooo...
anyway so far doffy has become my favorite OP villian BY FAR i wonder if anyone is going to surpass him in sheer awesomeness
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Fri May 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Dude, freaking Magellan.

The man ate guys like Ivankov for breakfast without even going full strength. He one-shotted the entire BB crew when they first encountered him, and it took the release of several Level 6 Prisoners just to put him in critical condition. Then, after all was said and done, he tried to kill himself, couldn't and set out to take sole responsibility for recapturing Prisoners. The man may have been a villain, and he may have even let the power go to his head, but his heart's in the right place and his dedication is insane. Plus, while he may have been on the more unpopular side of the conflict, he really cemented Bon-chan's place in our hearts.

Aside from him, though, I actually really like Enel. Honestly because he's like the opposite of Magellan (except for being crazy strong). 

Doffy's pretty cool, but he's just not that far up on my personal favorite villains list. That would be Mihawk, if you count him as a villain. If not him, Smoker. If not him, then the aforementioned Magellan.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 pm

mallegan was cool, but i just really love the tactician type villians and doffy is great at that (crocodile was too but i like doffys personality better)

theres also the way doffy cares about his crew and kindof makes me think of an evil luffy (blackbeards more like a polar opposite)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 am

I'm not sure Doffy is a particularly good tactician.

Yeah, he managed to avoid Law's trickery with the fake resignation, but he actually put the real Mera Mera on the line to draw out Luffy, which ended up backfiring a hell of a lot.

Plus, he had a chance to kill Zoro and Kinemon alongside Fujitora, but left them be, taking the near-dead (but still scheming and hating) Law to the palace.

His idea with protecting Sugar wasn't good enough, and maybe that's just because Usopp was too good, but Doffy really should've thought of better safeguards since she was the pivotal point in the whole operation.

Then, though he tricked Kuros at the mansion with the marionette, he had the perfect opportunity to try to kill all of his major adversaries. Kuros, Riku, Law, and Viola were all right there, and Luffy seemingly only required a short fight (he was outnumbered anyway), so rather than have Pica push them out, he should have killed them.

But because he didn't, he had to enact the Bird Cage, his last super-desperate attempt to kill them. So far, he sent out Machvice, Dellinger, and Senor Pink to try to protect the palace, and then let Pica try to take out the enemies alone instead of working together to eliminate the threat.

He seems like he's a good tactician, but imo, he really sucks at it. Which works fine for me, because it sets the pace of the story fantastically, but still.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:53 pm

chapter 752 wow looks like
spoiler:
laws past is going to be a dark one i am very excited for the next chapter after reading this one
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:28 pm

To be honest, with the pace having been picking up so much, I'm not looking forward to the flashbacks.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 pm

wow usopp just got a super badass moment this chapter (758)
spoilers:
i think he just learned Kenbunshoku haki
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:22 pm

I think what I liked most about Magellan was that he actually wasn't an evil antagonist as much as just doing his job and truly doing what he thinks is morally right. That really speaks volumes. But yeah, I always love tactician villains like Crocodile and Enel. Personally though, I didn't like Lucci that much for the fact that his personality was as emotional as a rock, besides that douchey smirk he makes. I thought CP9 only started getting likable as villains when Jabra, Kumadori, and Fukuro showed up. Oh course, Kaku also became an exception due to his hilarious interaction with Jabra and actually being a likable honest guy. Sort of lol. I expected more out of Moria though, especially when has powers as epic as being freaking shadow. Not to mention that I felt like we wasted a New World antagonist by having Hody, aka, Arlong on Roids.

Anyways, even though I haven't been reading the manga, I have been catching up on news. So:

Spoiler:
Usopp learning Observation Haki is freaking epic. Exactly what he needed to both become a better sniper and an excellent choice for the fourth member to get Haki. I'm sort of hoping that the next one to get Haki is Chopper with Armament Haki. Also, maybe it's just me, but I really hope Usopp starts getting some one on one fights that test his sniping skill. Especially when we all know that he's going to face Van Auger but he time the Straw Hats reach Raftel and fight against the Blackbeard Pirates.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 pm

hody was there in the new world to show how powerful the straw hats had become notice how they completely wiped the floor with him
...:
im actually hoping nami learns haki next because think of all the crazy weather things she could pull off with it (shes also one of the earliest members to join the crew)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Of course. I just wish we had a more original villain than sort of wasting an entire saga on another racist shark Merman antagonist. Personally, I think Van Der Decken would've been better as the main villain with a bit of alteration.

Spoiler:
And that is true, her with Observation Haki would be killer. Imagine her being able to aim her weather powers at any spots/people she wants. She doesn't really need Armament Haki with how she uniquely fights and not being into physical fighting though. Usopp can actually do well with both Observation AND Armament Haki though, and it would balance out with how physically weak he is. However, I don't think EVERY member needs to learn Haki. I actually think Brook is just fine with his Soul Solid and emphasis on speed, same goes for Franky too with all of his weapons. And Haki Robin just feels too OP to me, doesn't really have much purpose with how her powers can be active at whatever spot she wants and hoe powerful it can be. She needs some sort of buffer when she's not jobbing lol. That's just me though.

And nice new sig.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:08 pm

the punk hazard arc villain is ok, but i think youll love donflamgo.
...:
robin never really has liked fighting like the others do she only does when she absolutely has too so i don't think she needs haki like the others do
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:13 pm

Of course, I agree. And I already like Doflamingo with his constant Nihilism/Frederich Nietzche speeches about the Age of Dreams being per and such, so I am hyped to see him. How good is Dressrosa so far though? Would you put it up to, say, Water 7/Enies Lobby or Impel Down?
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:16 pm

its in my top 3 along with Enies Lobby and Marinefold war (in no particular order)
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Mansopp is the fourth person in the crew to learn Haki after the Monster Trio. When you think of it like that, it's even more amazing.

To be honest, I'd rather wait a good while before another learns Haki. Franky is durable enough right now, and I' only want him to use Haki (Arnament, preferably) if he was fighting a Haki user that was able to bypass his defense.

Robin using Arnament might happen in the fight with Gladius, because her fighting style being giant limbs that reflects damage back onto her against a bomber is not a goo idea. I'd rather it just be Bartolomeo blocking for her as she tries to set it up for Cabbage to attack.

Nami learning Observation would be okay, but it'd kind of detract from Mansopp. It's so epic that he learned it and it's incredibly big improvement. Nami has always been the predicting type, so if they play it off like that then it's fine, I guess, but... I just hope it doesn't happen for awhile.

As for Chopper, his fur coat in Monster Form is too insane to be able to tank a flurry of Ranyakus and cannonballs without a stratch. I think it might have actually had some latent Arnament coating to it.

But like I said, I' rather Oda not use the "haki as a major powerup" for everyone, at least not so soon or so systematically, because it makes it look less epic overtime. But I know I say that, but chances are Oda would do it in such a way I'd be amazed.

Anyway, I really, REALLY hope Zoro's fight with Pica is as one sied as all of his have been. Kyros vs Diamante is going to be epic, too. Law vs Trebol'll probably be pretty sick, but it's a little unfair since Law is hurt and weakened. I really wanna see Bellamy get into the fight, too.

What I really want to see is the Gladiators against the officers. Honestly, the only one among them that I find capable of doing real damage is Chinjao, considering he's right up there with Bart and Cavendish. Although, if both of them + Robin is against just one officer (which I think is a bit much), Chinjao is probably way outnumbered. Only really Elizabello's King Punch could help.

When it comes to Robin, Cabbage, and Bart vs Gladius, it's definitely a bit much. There's plenty of other execs to fight an spread the 1v1 love, and Gladius isn't even a Seated Exec. Hakuba could probably solo him pretty easily, too, an if not easily, handily.

Kinemon and Kanjuro just got captured, which kind of sucks. I wanna see them break out and join the battle along with Viola, maybe turn the tides.

Oh, and of course Franky vs Senor Pink. Manliest fight I think I've ever seen.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:34 pm

Of course we have to wait a while for a Haki power-up. Last thing we need is another new Super Saiyan form makes everything irrelevant situation. Now that you bring it up, I agree about Nami (sorry Dragon). Still hoping Robin won't learn it though. Also, I'm sort of hoping Zoro fights against someone that actually gives him a bit of trouble for once. That'll probably happen in Wano Country, along with getting a final sword replacement.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 pm

of course i didnt mean anyone would learn haki in this arc heck even next arc is pushing it a bit, but im pretty sure there will come a time when other crew members begin to develop it for themselves. who that will be and what type of haki is up in the air because ... well yknow Oda the guys a genius when it comes to surprises (and hidden foreshadowing).

Heck im curios if there are unique variants of haki that branch off from its regular use, kindof like how some cp9 members had unique versions of Rokushiki.  Im also wondering about what would happen with the combination of Rokushiki and Haki cp0 has been shown so we might see some of that soon.
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top