Family Guy kills off main cast Member (MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!) (SERIOUSLY NO SPOILER TAGS HERE)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Was this a good idea?

20% 20% 
[ 2 ]
20% 20% 
[ 2 ]
30% 30% 
[ 3 ]
30% 30% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 10

Family Guy kills off main cast Member (MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!) (SERIOUSLY NO SPOILER TAGS HERE)

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 pm

So the writers of Family Guy must be doing all the heroin. last night, Brian Griffin was hit by a car and killed. Permadeath this time unlike the thousands of times a Griffin has died. And Stewie may have disassembled his time machine. just a bit. oh and Vinnie, a new dog voiced by The Sopranos' Tony Sirico has taken his place. 

Naturally the entire internet is marching to FOX HQ to burn them to the ground. its clear why. Family Guy is not what it used to buy, like all FOX animated comedies it has suffered through age (Except Futurama, the one that is always cancelled.) but the one consistent dynamic (LIke Homer in the Simpsons and...idk what in American Dad it just seems to be in the zone right now.) of the show was Stewie and Brian and all their wacky adventures. Road to X are some of the best episodes in the series. it will be hard to shove Vinnie in that dynamic, heck its probably gone forever. As a character by himself, Brians nothing special but killing that dynamic....why do i have to watch this show anymore...

Anyway discuss.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Family Guy kills off main cast Member (MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!) (SERIOUSLY NO SPOILER TAGS HERE)

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Holy shit. Didn't see that coming.

He'll be back. The car hitting him was really exaggerated, showing that was not something to be taken seriously. Stewie's made like three different time machines anyway.

That said, Seth has said before theyd thought of killing him off since in reality he's fucking old as a dog.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Family Guy kills off main cast Member (MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!) (SERIOUSLY NO SPOILER TAGS HERE)

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 pm

welp apparently this is permanent. i don't believe it but yes this is meant to be it. Who knows. if Vinnie takes off, i guess they can keep him dead. but for some reason i don't think there going to go the "Stewie makes ANOTHER Time Machine route" if they do bring him back it'll be something else. 

Family Guy needed a shake up....just not this one. as i said the Stewie/Brian dynamic is all the show had. sure Peter could make you smile sometimes but its those two who were funny.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Opinions, man. While I love the dynamic Brian and Stewie had, the show was quite entertaining often. Even the later seasons are really entertaining if you take a break instead of watching reruns most days.

This is both permanent and fixable. It depends on ratings. This ep will be one of the highest rated and I'm sure it'll make people tune in for a while again. But in the end it's probably building up to the movie soon. And taking the workload off of Seth for a few months of voiceover work so that he can do his dozen movies.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm

I dunno man i enjoyed it up until the Diane Simmons episode (You know the one) Then i just stopped. i dunno the magic was gone. i love every Road to episode though

the ep actually didn't pull that well (It aired yesterday in the states (I.E. for you.) and was poorly advertised, mainly to keep the shock factor although afterwards #RIPBrian began trending. Apparently they have about a season and a bit (Given this was randomly slotted in at episode 6 of season 12) with Vinnie so this is gonna take a while. 

the rest for voice work excuse is BS though. Seth still voices alot of characters in the show, including Peter and Stewie who have the most screen time of all characters (Especially Stewie) and unlike Brian they are put on voices, Seth just talked as Brian (Quite literally, Brian was clearly his mouthpiece) and thats not counting the roles on American Dad and various other shows. Prep for a movie...possible but not his voice.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 pm

He has to sit in a booth for an hour or more per episode per character most of the time dude. Brian is one of the characters with the most lines, and the easiest to kill off. With two confirmed movies on the way, several shows in development since 2009 - including the delayed Flintstones reboot that was almost canned because of Seth's schedule - and a bunch of other shit, every minute counts. I could see them using this like South Park, where they use the death to develop a bunch of characters before reviving Brian.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Thus killing the development and resetting it (Like the one time Meg got development.......i hate Meg.) i honestly don't see a positive of this. although remember last time the Griffins got a new dog......

(Why is there no high quality of his clip?)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 pm

People didn't see the positives of Kenny dying permanently either but the show is undeniably better because of it. My only complaint in the series is that it's way too closed off in the family itself. That was similar with South Park until they fixed it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 pm

hmm i dunno.......its just rubbing me the wrong way
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 pm

I saw the episode. It was pretty good. Lackluster joke to end though. I have to see how it plays out next week before I can judge.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:12 pm

https://www.change.org/petitions/seth-macfarlane-and-fox-broadcasting-company-bring-brian-griffin-back-to-family-guy

It was only a matter of time. Anyways, I agree with DP. This could either be permanent or easily fixable. With that said, I was completely chocked this morning when I read it on IGN. I was thinking of the death being a supporting character like Herbert, but damn, Seth had balls. But I sort of do disagree with Brian having to die, as like lpool said, him and Stewie's friendship was one of the main highlights of Family Guy. Vinny might have some untapped potential, but I don't see that sort of gig happening again, or at least with similar appeal. And as easy as it was for Brian to die, I would've easily preferred either Chris or Meg as they barely have that much relevance anymore, or at least any new material to bring up. But regardless, I don't watch Family Guy or really any mainstream animated comedy shows since Futurama ended again, so I'm not really affected that much at all. However, after watching the episode, I might stick by again for a couple of weeks to see how Vinny interacts.

Also, Kenny dying got us major development for Butters and his relationship with Cartman to the point where he could be considered the fifth protagonist. Despite whatever you think of how it was when Kenny was dead, it definitely paid off.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:34 pm

I watched the Episode, of Course Stewie stole it but it wasn't that good as a whole. Stewie was great on screen acting like he should (Dem shaking hands) and when it was serious it was good but EVERY SINGLE JOKE (Even the set up for no time machine,) fell flat. it would have been better with no jokes at all. and i also don't like Vinny. when your big speech to get people to like you revolves around the word "Stuff".....no. his whole speech fell flat and his voice annoyed me and his mannerisms towards all non-Stewie members of the family where a 100% re thread of the New Brian episode. i understand, its a comedy but if your gonna do something like this, let the funny bone have a day off. 

also Kenny...they honestly just wanted to retire that gag. thats all. Butters was just a bonus. and they brought back the gag for a reason
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:49 pm

Because fans asked for it. They tied it back into the plot. I'm sure this will end up the same.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Eh, my feelings toward Vinny are... okay. But I actually do completely agree with you. I mean, there didn't have to be no humor in it, but I think comedy shows tend to go a bit overboard when it comes to balancing humor and taking a death seriously (stares at Two and a Half Men from a distance). As for Vinny's speech, it was nothing memorable, but it gets the job done. When you're speaking things from the heart, yo don't always spring up vivid vocabulary and memorable quotes right out of your ass, you just speak out your feelings. But with that said, the episode still could've been done better. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I won't deny that.

And that's pretty much what it was lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

it was alright. nothing on the road to episodes and others i can't group together but for something as game changing as this its a bit unacceptable

the difference between Kennys situation and Brians is.....Seth McFarlen, as much as i love him is a far bigger asshole than the South Park guys (Who are also assholes) and more notably, he felt Family Guy should have ended seasons ago.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:58 pm

No shit lol. That's like saying that it completely dawned on you that Alan Moore is an egocentric prick.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:58 pm

lol
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Seth MacFarlane loved Brian, and has been outspoken about this. He's also been known to be a generally good guy. Just because he wanted Family Guy to end before it ended up like the Simpsons doesn't make him anywhere near as big of cunts as the South Park guys. I also believe the episode was pitched and written by Alec or Wellesley, not him.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:19 pm

...I was just agreeing so I could make fun of Alan Moore.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:22 pm

well yeah in general but when he's a dick he's a royal dick. and i find him pretty obnoxious, as much as i think he's an awesome guy (everything he does...) the South Park guys are arrogant but they listen to their fans and their workload is just as hard as MacFarlanes (It has to be to stay topical.) wanting Family Guy to end is one thing, doing it by purposefully pissing off your fans is another. and theres no way, NO WAY a plot THIS BIG didn't go through him on every level it had too.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Do we know that he did it to piss off fans? No. Not in the slightest should we believe that. BioWare didn't make the ME3 ending to piss fans off; they did it to poetically tie the themes together. This is more political for sure, and likely suggested by Fox. Or just an idea that got thrown around and discussed for months before a tentative agreement was reached in the writers' room. I've watched most commentaries on both of Seth's major series. Trust me when I say that this doesn't happen as an immediate decision, nor a deliberate one.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:36 pm

As long as, Seth stands by his decision then I can respect that. Also, Brian was his favorite character to voice and after some of the things he has done with the show. I don't see him changing his mind about this, but quite honest I can't say that I'll miss Brian being he's the most annoying character on the show. He's self-absorbed, a hypocrite, a liar and a douche bag. Clearly, I definitely won't miss Brian one bit but fanboys/girls are gonna have their panties in a knot. Which, I'm surprised that Brian even has a fanbase.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 pm

well they definitely know how popular he was. Stewie and Brian were this shows Homer and Bart, Their Cartman, their Bender. they branched out into pop Culture more than Peter did say. their merchandise rolled in the bucks, he was one of two beating hearts of the show and unless the writers are completely cut off from the outside world, the KNEW this would happen. I saw some post episode interviews. The writers just threw the idea out and it caught fire, i'm pretty sure to try end the series and free up Seth who is way too busy. seriously the dude needs clones or some shit.

And Anaconda it wasn't so much Brian (Although i love Brian) it was how the world around him reacted to him, like all the guest stars and particularly Peter and Stewie. Especially Stewie. thats what made him popular. and of course he had faults but he was also the only semi logical one in a house of idiots in a town with Adam West as a Mayor. although some of his beliefs and mannerisms were unrelatable he was the most relatable character in the show.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 pm

My favorite episode is the one when, Quagmire told off Brian for who he is.  At that moment, Quagmire became my favorite character in the show.  I didn't find Brian is the slightest bit relatable since I actually know what having a thought of reason is rather then spouting non-sense because it's his opinion.  I would sooner become blind and Christian then ever have to befriend someone like Brian in real life.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 pm

I doubt they chose the idea to lose hundreds of people their jobs just to free Seth up. Like I said, it's likely an idea that got debated and perfected to make for a decided continuity change - much like marrying Haley and Jeff.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top