Spike VGX 2013 Nominations Announced

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spike VGX 2013 Nominations Announced

Post by BigBox on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:11 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/spike-vgx-2013-nominations-announced

Bold and underline who you think is going to win for each category, of course cop and paste.  Note: Anything with GTA V and The Last of Us in it isn't easy for me, it can go either way.  Except in, "Best PlayStion Game."

Game of the Year

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Studio of the Year

• Irrational Games

• Naughty Dog

• Rockstar North

• The Fullbright Company

Best Shooter

• Battlefield 4

• BioShock Infinite

• Call of Duty: Ghosts

• Metro: Last Light

Best Action Adventure Game

• Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Best Sports Game

• FIFA 14

• MLB 13: The Show

• NBA 2K14

• NHL 14

Best Independent Game

• Gone Home

• Kentucky Route Zero

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

Best RPG

• Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

• Fire Emblem: Awakening

• Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

• Pokemon X/Y

Best Fighting Game

• Divekick

• Injustice: Gods Among Us

• Killer Instinct

• Tekken Revolution

Best Driving Game

• F1 2013

• Grid 2

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Need for Speed Rivals

Best DLC

• Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep

• Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall

• Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

• Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Best Xbox Game

• BioShock Infinite

• Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Tomb Raider

Best PlayStation Game

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Rayman Legends

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Best Nintendo Game

• Pikmin 3

• Rayman Legends

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Wonderful 101

Best PC Game

• Battlefield 4

• Gone Home

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

Best Handheld Game

• Animal Crossing: New Leaf

• Pokemon X/Y

• Tearaway

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Best Casual Game

• Disney Infinity

• Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time

• Skylanders Swap Force

Best Voice Actor

• Troy Baker as Joel in The Last of Us

• Troy Baker as Booker DeWitt in BioShock Infinite

• Steven Ogg as Trevor Philips in Grand Theft Auto 5

• Willem Dafoe as Nathan Dawkins in Beyond: Two Souls

Best Voice Actress

• Ashely Johnson as Ellie in The Last of Us

• Courtnee Draper as Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite

• Camilla Luddington as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider

• Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes in Beyond: Two Souls

Best Soundtrack

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us

Best Song in a Game

• "ADHD" by Kendrick Lamar (Grand Theft Auto 5)

• "Sleepwalking" by The Chain Gang of 1974 (Grand Theft Auto 5)

• "Survival" by Eminem (Call of Duty: Ghosts)

• "Will the Circle be Unbroken" by Courtnee Draper & Troy Baker (BioShock Infinite)

Most Anticipated Game

• South Park: The Stick of Truth

• Destiny

• Watch Dogs

• Titanfall

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spike VGX 2013 Nominations Announced

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:33 am

There's a lot of good shit. I fucking love ADHD as a song, but I have to agree with your pick for best song. GTA might have to win best soundtrack for me though. And Rockstar SHOULD win best studio because they not only optimized the game for two consoles, but they fixed the biggest server disaster in gaming in about a week. I don't see how making a good game on a console you've only developed for compares in studio terms.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:24 am

DP wrote:There's a lot of good shit. I fucking love ADHD as a song, but I have to agree with your pick for best song. GTA might have to win best soundtrack for me though. And Rockstar SHOULD win best studio because they not only optimized the game for two consoles, but they fixed the biggest server disaster in gaming in about a week. I don't see how making a good game on a console you've only developed for compares in studio terms.
Personally, I think that The Last of Us had a better soundtrack and I picked, Naughty Dog because I put Rockstar down a few in my opinion because of the multiplayer problems.  Another reason I picked, Naughty Dog is because you can't really say anything bad about their game support and what they do for their fans.  Naughty Dog feels like they apart of gaming and like a group of people you can sit down and play game with.  On the other hand, Rockstar feels more like a faceless corporation that makes their games because they know they'll make a lot of money.  What I'm saying is, Naughty Dog feels more human that Rockstar.

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 am

It's mostly a consolation award if they win it, honestly. That's why I wouldn't mind ND taking that home. The multiplayer launch shouldn't be a huge factor in the decision since technically Online is a different game, and since they warned us exactly what would happen if it sold more than they expected. But if it was, their quick reaction and prompt patches showed that they are THE most capable devs on the planet.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Game of the Year

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Studio of the Year

• Irrational Games

• Naughty Dog

• Rockstar North

• The Fullbright Company

Best Shooter

• Battlefield 4

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Best Sports Game

• FIFA 14

• NBA 2K14

• NHL 14

Best Independent Game

• Gone Home

• Kentucky Route Zero

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

Best RPG

• Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn (dead last for Sure) 

• Pokemon X/Y

Best Fighting Game

• Divekick (PLZ?) 

• Injustice: Gods Among Us  (I Hope not) 

• Killer Instinct

• Tekken Revolution

Best Driving Game

• F1 2013

• Grid 2

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Need for Speed Rivals

Best DLC

Best Xbox Game

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Tomb Raider

Best PlayStation Game

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Rayman Legends

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Best Nintendo Game

• Pikmin 3

• Rayman Legends

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Wonderful 101

Best PC Game

• Battlefield 4

• Gone Home

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

Best Handheld Game

• Pokemon X/Y (Easy) 

• Tearaway

Best Casual Game

• Disney Infinity

• Skylanders Swap Force

Best Voice Actor

Best Voice Actress

Best Soundtrack

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us  
(Should be R&C ITN or X/Y...sooo good) 

Best Song in a Game

• "Will the Circle be Unbroken" by Courtnee Draper & Troy Baker (BioShock Infinite)

Most Anticipated Game

• Destiny

• Watch Dogs

• Titanfall

lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:23 pm

DP wrote:It's mostly a consolation award if they win it, honestly. That's why I wouldn't mind ND taking that home. The multiplayer launch shouldn't be a huge factor in the decision since technically Online is a different game, and since they warned us exactly what would happen if it sold more than they expected. But if it was, their quick reaction and prompt patches showed that they are THE most capable devs on the planet.
As much as I know it's a consolation award, I still think that Naughty Dog should win it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:58 pm

I would list mine but bolding is so time consuming on phone so I'll just comment on my changes from the previous lists:

GTA V is GotY if I know anything about the industry. The VGAs are a popularity contest, and 30 million > ~5 million

Gone Home is my vote for Indie, because it's the only one I remember hearing anything about.

Best RPG is a toss up. Since Ni No Kuni has gotten a few GotY nominations it could be the safest option.

I agree with lpool beyond that down to Soundtrack, because I already stated my opinion. ItN would be very deserving though, but this year it seems any November release besides Forza isn't allowed in.

Most anticipated is definitely Destiny though. Witcher 3 would be second for me.

Other comments: Best Actor and Actress are TOUGH this year. I want to vote Trevor because of the article he wrote putting perspective that he was an ACTOR, not just a VOICE Actor for V, but both of Troy Baker's performances were excellent. If I had a gun to my head, I'd say Booker because Baker did thousands of lines dynamically with Draper and it was so great. Though I could accept Joel for male if Elizabeth gets female.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:18 pm

i think everything in the RPG category could win EXCEPT for FFXIV ARR. for one that acronym is shitty. but as solid as the game is the others are FAR better. 

I only put S+The Stanley Parable Down for the same reason you put Gone Home down. 

idk Witcher, Destiny and Titanfall have all won the award around the place, with Witcher Being in majority. Even South Park got a couple. it won't be Watch Dogs though

on actors....i will agree that Bakers performances were great, even though he had his limelight stolen in BOTH games by his leading ladies, i'd give it to Trevor. he was the most memorable and leading presence in GTA and a character like his is MUCH harder to make likeable than Joel or Booker. and it was entirely down to the voice i feel. Female wise...i'd say its either Johnson or Draper. in fact i'm sure of it. i gotta laugh at David Cage. Voice acting is pretty much the only thing he got right and it was done way better this year. i'm mostly laughing cause i despise Cage though.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:54 pm

lpool1996moh wrote:i think everything in the RPG category could win EXCEPT for FFXIV ARR. for one that acronym is shitty. but as solid as the game is the others are FAR better. 
I personally disagree, I think out of all of the RPG's Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is the best one on that list but it's all a matter of personal opinion.  For me, Pokemon lost its flair long ago and has never managed to capture my interest again.  That's just me on here though.  If any RPG other then FFXIV is gonna win it, I think it's gonna be Ni no Kuni hands down.  Then again, taking into consideration that it's a popularity contest it's just gonna be a slug fest between Pokemon and Final Fantasy and among their fanboys/girls as well.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:01 pm

No, I lost my interest in Pokemon when they botched made Black and White. I'm not an active follower anymore by any stretch. But having played ARR, I can say it's quite generic as an MMO. Plus it's really always been developed to be a massive patch using the same assets, not a true "new" game. I'm not really sure it should fairly be on the list. Which is why Ni No Kuni is my main choice, with Fire Emblem being second. Pokemon, however, will probably win because it's a popularity contest.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:21 pm

DP wrote:No, I lost my interest in Pokemon when they botched made Black and White. I'm not an active follower anymore by any stretch. But having played ARR, I can say it's quite generic as an MMO. Plus it's really always been developed to be a massive patch using the same assets, not a true "new" game. I'm not really sure it should fairly be on the list. Which is why Ni No Kuni is my main choice, with Fire Emblem being second. Pokemon, however, will probably win because it's a popularity contest.
I'm counting on this being a popularity contest as well, if Pokemon wins I see Final Fantasy being a close second and vice versa primarily because of their name.  As generic as it may be, it doesn't take away from the game's quality whether it just be one big patch or not.  In that regard, Rockstar Games shouldn't win Best Studio because they had to make one big patch for, GTO.  From a point of rational thought, they all have an equal chance of winning from a popularity contest point-of-view.  It's either Pokemon, or Final Fantasy.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:08 pm

You are really over estimating the sway FF has right now. if it was called FF XIV Divided by two ARR - ARR (MATHS HUMOUR!) it would win, unless a new pokemon game launched. as it stands, the popularity Ni No Kunai and FE got at launch, FF is dead last for sure. on top of that its an MMO in a world with WoW in it. it doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. Amd i'm not going to start the pokemon flair thing here but please don't mention it because X/Y sales and fan reviews show your CLEARLY in the minority. its one of the most popular entries in the series to date if not the most popular. Its quite literally got it in the bag. 

if you went on quality based, FF is still bottem with FE in third, due to its hardcore nature. Ni No kuni is a bit more casual and then Pokemon on top due to its accessibility, Depth and replayability, along with sooo many other factors its not even funny. 

enough on RPGS though. its honestly Pokemons to lose and we all fricken know it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/spike-vgx-2013-nominations-announced

Bold and underline who you think is going to win for each category, of course cop and paste.  Note: Anything with GTA V and The Last of Us in it isn't easy for me, it can go either way.  Except in, "Best PlayStion Game."

Game of the Year

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Going with GTA V. I'm still salty about a game completely based on its story winning GotY last year, because while the experience is all well and good, I still think the overall gameplay should be much, much more important. I'm not trying to bring any "games aren't an art" crap in here, because they are (Majora's Mask being my favorite example, imo), but does that truly warrant it being called greater than the others? I emotional experience leads to the attachment to the characters, but focusing solely on that and not about having the game function as anything higher than that is not for me.

That said, Last of Us actually does have gameplay. Whether or not it's better than GTA V's, I don't know. To be perfectly honest I didn't care at all about that game and haven't played it since the week it came out. But just the massive hype it got, and the fact that it certainly improves on gameplay from the past game (even if I prefer how the last game feels) as well as creates a giant, cohesive world with much to do and explore AS WELL AS having and engaging story with likable characters (besides Trevor) makes it too much. I would frankly be irate if all that was trampled because people really bonded with Ellen Page in a game about zombies.

Studio of the Year

• Irrational Games

• Naughty Dog

• Rockstar North

• The Fullbright Company

I'd probably go Rockstar, but I don't particularly care about this title.

Best Shooter

• Battlefield 4

• BioShock Infinite

I really want to say "The Order" or whatever, but I don't really like shooters, I don't know if that came out, and the only one of these I played was Infinite. It had a fantastic story, but the gameplay was so sub par I can't rightfully claim it to be even a good "shooter," much less best in the year. I'll agree with BF4, because of that, I heard Ghosts is garbage, and I never touched Metro. 

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised LBW is here. When I think "action / adventure," I think of more the adventure side with action thrown in. More of a journey, like Zelda, or Okami or things of that nature. I certainly don't think of GTA V, because action / adventure games and sandboxes don't really seem to mesh. 

Best Sports Game

• FIFA 14

• NBA 2K14

• NHL 14

No opinion on it. I know MLB is baseball, which is my third least favorite sport (behind soft ball and croquet), and I liked Mario Strikes. I'm going FIFA.

Best Independent Game

• Gone Home

• Kentucky Route Zero

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

Only one I heard of. There was quite a buzz about it, even without Steam Train. Based on what I saw, I really, really liked it. Unfair vote, though.
Best RPG

• Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

• Pokemon X/Y

Ni No Kuni is ridiculous in scale with great depth of gameplay and story. Fire Emblem has a fantastic mix of tactics and leadership with lovable characters and even a casual mode for new-players. Pokemon was like every 3DS owner's answer to GTA (which was a ridiculous comparison, but still). It got huge, HUGE hype and face it, Pokemans are simply lovable. It doesn't even matter any tedium or anything, I'm never played a Pokemon game that wasn't simply fun. The amount of people I know who bought 3DSes just for this game is astounding. Honestly, this was the hardest for me to decide my personal favorite on.

Meanwhile, FF14: Whoops We Screwed Up Last Time is a pretty... generic MMO. Like, if it were WoW, then yeah, but this is almost as bad as throwing Rift in there.

Best Fighting Game

• Divekick

• Injustice: Gods Among Us

• Killer Instinct

• Tekken Revolution

Well, Tekken Revolution is crappy. It's a F2P. I won't even go deeper. Divekick is a joke.

KI looks good, and I really support Double Helix, but the game is going to revolve around touch-of-death combos that aren't even as cool or flashy as Mahvel's. It's like its biggest and only charm. Plus, the setup is bad. I mean, I actually like the idea of it being broken down, because there's actually TONS of benefits. Continued support, extra playtesting, it's cheaper on the get-go, much easier to patch, holds interest, etc (I mostly just fanagled the same point, but w/e). But it also makes it seem more like an Arcade game than a full game, with a very slow start.

Injustice is honestly the only real contender.

Best Driving Game

• F1 2013

• Grid 2

• Forza Motorsport 5

• Need for Speed Rivals

No opinion.

Best DLC

No opinion.

Best Xbox Game

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Tomb Raider

Did Xbox not have exclusives? I really hate this category, because it should have solely that. I'd say KI, honestly. But, since I can't, GTA V easily. Also, as little as I care for it, Titanfall should really, REALLY be on this list.

Best PlayStation Game

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• Rayman Legends

• The Last of Us

• Tomb Raider

Same deal. Should only be Sony exclusives. GTA V.

Best Nintendo Game

• Pikmin 3

• Rayman Legends

• Super Mario 3D World

• The Wonderful 101

I want to root for 101, but... Mario. Easy. Also, getouttahere Rayman.

Best PC Game

• Battlefield 4

• Gone Home

• Papers, Please

• The Stanley Parable

No opinion.

Best Handheld Game

• Pokemon X/Y

• Tearaway

I love Zelda. I. Freaking. Love. Zelda. That said, Pokemon.

Best Casual Game

• Disney Infinity

• Skylanders Swap Force

Yes.

Best Voice Actor

Well, I think it's a little unfair that Baker gets two chances. Shoulda' had Nolan North as Nolan North in Saints Row. Well, obviously LoU, because Booker didn't talk anywhere near as much.

Best Voice Actress

Despite what I just said about Booker not talking much (for the record, if Joel wasn't there it'd have been Booker), Elizabeth's voice was perfect the whole time. Every situation, it was realistic and you could connect to it. You knew how she felt by the way she spoke. Being a carefree girl on the beach, being a God, being scared at Songbird... the range on the emotion was fantastic.

Best Soundtrack

• BioShock Infinite

• Grand Theft Auto 5

• The Last of Us

No real opinion.

Best Song in a Game

No opinion. Radio Gaga was by far my favorite addition to GTA V, and DP got me hooked on that damn Into the Nexus 8-bit theme.

Most Anticipated Game

• Destiny

• Watch Dogs

• Titanfall

"Eww" to the first one, "meh" on the last one, "pfft" on the fourth one, "look's cool" on the third one, "I'll probably get that at some point" to the second.
 Edited my opinions in there.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Jake, I agree about the exclusive game categories but Titanfall winning best Xbox game a year before it comes out is kind of wat. We can't put Second Son on best PS after all lol. (Fun fact in case anyone didn't know, Baker is Delsin as well.)

Edit: And Anaconda, my point about XIV was that it came out last year. Just because they updated it a lot and pseudo relaunched it doesn't really mean it's a different game. I'd put it under best DLC/Expansion, in which case it would win because they did do a fucking heap of improvements over FFXIV-1. But I seriously question the thought behind counting it separately, because then couldn't I count the Skyrim Legendary Edition as a 2013 game and vote for THAT as best RPG?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 pm

The Legendary Edition was their, Game of the Year Edition. Not a re-release of a game that made it better.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 am

IIRC it launched with an optimization patch on both systems that fixed a lot more stuff. Either way it's an expanded version build entirely on the game's initial assets plus a bit more added in.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:12 am

To be honest, I have no idea when any of these next-gen exclusives come out. I assumed Titanfall was coming out this year.

They're all so boring I can't be bothered to keep track of them.

Except Infamous. I would say "come out sooner, damn you!" but I won't be getting a PS4 in like forever, so I don't really care.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:15 am

I guess it wasn't noticeable enough then.  Because, I didn't see anything different with Skyrim.  Oh well, they already robbed Naughty Dog of their, Game of the Year I don't think Skyrim deserved to be in the year after.  Although, it almost did and would have been GotY nominated.

Edit: After looking over, Tearaway I think we can throw that game into a race as a possible winner for "Best Handheld Game."
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top