The Count Rants: Sonic Lost World

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Count Rants: Sonic Lost World

Post by Count Mario on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Yep, I finally finished up a review since my Batman vs. Superman thread and promising to deliver a new rant the next week. Yes, I am really that lazy. However, with all of my fanboying and jerking towards this title, I hope this can appease you.

Gameplay:

To kick this all off, the gameplay is of course fun, but it has its flaws. It definitely takes a bit of a while to get used to the controls, but when you do, it's a blast. And I swear, the exploration in these levels is just awe-inspiring. So many paths and collectibles, and you can even double-tap B instead of A in order to double jump instead of accidentally Homing Attacking (which definitely helps out during platforming). However, there's this feature where you charge your Homing Attack on a single foe that I find absolutely unnecessary and complicates one of the bosses in this game (you'll see who I'm talking about soon enough) beyond belief. Literally, I saw a livestreamer spend over half an hour to an hour on this boss because the game doesn't even bother to inform you or leave any slight sense of inference as to charging your Homing Attack for victory. The good news though is that outside of that boss, it has little to no impact on gameplay whatsoever (except providing extra damage on bosses when you do charge). You also have a Flying Kick ability which I personally find to be unique and helps diversify the combat instead of every player just going "HOMIN TACKZ" spam on everything (in fact, I'm hoping that this is one of Sonic's moves in Smash, although I doubt it). People feel like it complicates the combat gameplay too much and should be removed, but I personally say nay to that statement. It can definitely be used better, though. 

You see, I absolutely love the enemy variation in this game. In fact, every single enemy is a Badnik from the classic Sonic games (1, 2, CD, and 3&K), with loads and LOADS of different enemies for each zone to help make them unique. This game is undoubtedly the best Sonic game in the this category and I hope Sonic Team keeps up this kind of effort into level design. But of course, there is a bit of a flaw to this. Given the game's focus on using both the Homing Attack and another means of ranged attacking for the first time, you're naturally going to have to keep switching things up as you see different enemies in order to provide an efficient strategy towards beating them. As obvious as that is though, you have little to no inference on what types of enemies are mandatory to kick first. Now, some are obvious like a snail Badnik because you can reasonably infer that Homing Attack its shell might have no effect. The same goes for giant spider Badniks and so on. But then there are enemies that can really make you feel like SEGA's trying to jam some faulty hardware up your USB port. For example:

That robotic crustacean is known as Crabmeat within the franchise of Sonic the Hedgehog, ladies and gentlemen, which originated in Sonic 1. As a veteran of the franchise, do you know what you needed to eliminate such a target? A bop to the head. A landing on its cranium. A concussion from the soles of your feet. A striking blow aimed at the brain. You get the point. And if you look at its design, there’s nothing to suggest that this changes. The head is clearly wide open, and it’s easy to swoop in for the kill. However, once you try a jump or a Homing Attack, it… it… it blocked me. That crabmeat I met raised it’s claws over its head and blocked me. The pain sored through my digital avatar and all of those Rings I collected, gone. And as I watched the event on my tv screen with Sonic miraculously managing to shrug off this encounter after multiple animations of disappearing and appearing again, I wondered to myself upon this astounding revelation. How, in God’s name, was I supposed to expect a cyborg crab to SHOCKING BLOCK?! This is absolute blasphemy to everything I’ve learned throughout my life.

Remember when you played through Sonic 1 and made it all the way to the Final Zone to fight Dr. Robotnik, guess what? That was an utter and complete lie. When you replayed that game and finally got the good ending by collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds, guess what? You were deceived. When you played through Sonic Generations and Boosted/Homing Chained your way through those crowds of enemies in Green Hill, guess what? You might as well have shut off your console and returned the game disk to the retail store you bought it from, because you were a FOOL. That’s right, the whole franchise since Sonic 1 is merely a farce all due to this reveal. For you see, Crabmeat was never defenseless like you presumed. It didn’t just fire projectiles in horizontal directions for fun, it just felt sorry for you. It could’ve stopped you dead in your tracks and either killed or took away your rings. But it didn’t, and I think I know why.  It saw all of the effort you were devoting to your adventure and thought that if it were to reveal it’s full potential, it would just spoil all of the fun. Crabmeat probably thought that some other Badnik or even Dr. Robotnik would put an end to you anyway and fulfill its purpose of destroying, but no. You saved the day, and so on for so many years throughout the franchise. And as it looked back at what it could’ve done upon being brought back for Lost World, it realized how this small act of compassion cost it its entire life. It’s not just here as an obstacle, no, it’s here for vengeance. Crabmeat will finally reclaim what you have taken form it, and after doing so, will block your measly attacks and mutilate your broken body. And as Sonic lies on the ground and stares into the robot’s eyes with his single freakishly deformed large eye with two green pupils, he’ll finally realize. Realize that the real enemy was in front of him the entire time, and that its pity for you has outstayed its welcome.

…Well, it’s either that, or SEGA decided to troll me. Pick whatever explanation works best for you. To cut all of the melodrama short, Crabmeat and plenty other Badniks in the game lure you in with cheap Homing Attacks but end up whooping your ass with little evidence towards the requirement of the Flying Kick move. So I just hope that in future Sonic games that SEGA keeps but lessens the required usage of the Flying Kick so as to make the combat system more optional or versatile, or at least come up with a clever way to inform the player of what moves to use instead of cheap trial and error sessions. But in the grand scheme of things, this is a relatively short flaw and you’ll learn after one or two instances. I just felt like overexaggerating this lol.

The parkour's also good, along with the epic ledge grab, but in future Sonic games where they might be included, I hope they're faster as they seem to usually be relatively slow and it's a bit of a chore to keep Spin Dashing on a wall to maintain your height with this speed. But there is just one thing that always makes my piss boil when it comes to parkour. Running up a wall and then having to keep remembering to press A in order to change into a horizontal running direction when connecting into a straight wall. Seriously, whenever I do that, it just feels so clunky and easy to mess up that I want castrate the designers. A simple direction change with the analog stick or just having to press A only once would've been fine. But there are rarely any occasions where you have to do that, so I'm thankful.

Moving onto the actual levels and context, they're fun, unique, and definitely diversify while upping the difficulty along the way in a reasonable manner. However, the argument could be made for one flaw though. You see, when it comes to Generations, although the tropes change, the actual gameplay and methods of going about are relatively few and despite how good that game is, almost every level could be labeled as a reskin with a different layout. Meanwhile, Lost World is the opposite extreme of having a bit too many gimmicks in its overall levels. That is really up to you and I'm only bringing it up because I've heard it before, but I personally still prefer the the latter out of the two evils. You see, compared to other platformers, Sonic games have a relatively low number of stages in exchange for their length and how they compliment a mix of exploration and speed, so honestly, I'd take as much variation as I can get. You're likely to hate two or three levels for their features, but honestly, when do you not hate a certain level for a certain gimmick in a platformer? Be it underwater stages, mine cart tropes, grinding on rails, slippery ice, etc, (and I'm just mentioning varying tropes in platformers in general here, although Lost World has plenty of that stuff) I'd say that's more of a compliment to the game much more than actually being a flaw. Not every level's going to be for everybody, wouldn't you agree? But I won’t lie, Sky Road Zone is pretty much gimmick heaven, as well as Lava Mountain Zone 2 which is arguably the most difficult and infuriating level in the game (let me give you a hint why. The theme’s name starts with R, ends with s, and is a plural. Oh, and there’s also lots of rail hopping and opportunities for cheap deaths all over the place).

Hopefully Sonic Team will find a nice balance as this gameplay style is used in the future, but I’d still say most of the levels are solid for what they are and I'm really impressed by the diversity and the cartoony artstyle that's used. Seriously, SEGA, KEEP THIS ARTSTYLE FOR FUTURE SONIC GAMES. I don't mind realistic levels once in a while, but I'd much prefer this. However, they can definitely try to look a bit less inspired by Mario, which you could notice in the game a LOT. I don't really think that's much of a bad thing, though.

Story (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, let’s get the obvious out of the way. Up until this point, Sonic has barely had even a few relatively decent stories without major flaws. In fact, I’m even willing to say that the Storybook games probably had the most fluently functional stories that retained my interest. But I am proud to say that Sonic Lost World… has a good story. It’s not perfect by any means, but for what I’m used to in this series, it is an absolute Godsend.

I’m going to start off the story in general. Now, it actually has a nice and reasonable pace and over the time, the stakes actually grow higher and higher with a successful balance between humor and seriousness. And it’s nowhere near as stagnant and repetitive as Colors, Generations, and even Unleashed because progression, change, and twists are definitely evident and help keep viewers constantly entertained by a Sonic story in, well, YEARS. To basically break it all down for you guys, everything basically goes down like this:

Sonic & Tails follow Eggman to the Lost Hex, the duo communicate with Amy and Knuckles while they’re on Earth, Eggman subjugates the Deadly Six to due his bidding while he perfects a machine to steal the world’s enemy, Sonic punts away Eggman’s only means of controlling the Deadly Six which allows them to take control of Eggman’s mechs due to having control over magnetic fields, Sonic and Eggman team up to save the day in order to turn off his machine with clear and believable tension that doesn’t boil down to a cheesy story where Eggman might become good from this experience or something stupid like that, the Deadly Six then decide to use Eggman’s machine to suck away all of the energy from the Earth to power themselves up, the Deadly Six decide to trap Sonic in order to roboticize him into becoming a Badnik but they accidentally capture Tails instead, Amy and Knuckles get caught by the machine’s range and Sonic loses communication with them, Sonic and Eggman finally make it to Lava Mountain and Eggman supposedly dies from falling into a lava pit from an ambush by the Deadly Six, Tails appears to be trapped while the Deadly Six start to roboticize him as a means to defeat Sonic but he manages to reprogram the tech when they leave, the Deadly Six ambush Sonic again with a roboticized Tails but it turns out Tails was faking it and scares them away with lasers, Sonic  defeats the Deadly Six, Sonic & Tails find out Eggman faked his death in order to get in his mech by using the energy already taken form the world, Eggman’s beaten and Tails is surprisingly able to reprogram the machine which makes Sonic realize that he didn’t need Eggman after all, Sonic goes back to Earth and decides to chill, and Eggman lands on the Earth’s surface and wakes up to find out that a rabbit bit off half of his mustache lol.

…I can sum up Generations story in about three lines and Colors story in a bit more, so I can honestly say that Lost World’s story is EASILY a vast improvement over most or all of the past titles. However, there are a few flaws that still lie. For one, we have no idea what the Lost Hex is supposed to be besides a floating planetoid in the sky and it’s only mentioned once in the story past the intro. Seriously, not even lying. It seems like its only purpose in the story was that it was a place where Eggman could go in order to not be affected by his life energy extractor machine, which is a bit sad and lazy. Secondly, while the Deadly Six are excellent antagonists throughout the story, we barely know about they’re background. When we first see them, they’re literally already under Eggman’s control and just… there. And we never see anybody talk about where they come from or what they do or the history of how the group was formed by Master Zik or any of that. That had loads of potential, but it’s just left blank with them retaliating against Eggman for revenge and Sonic seemingly because they’re jerks, which is fine but we still have no idea WHY they’re jerks other than presumably being territorial.

Lastly, and this is something that many fans were a bit outraged about, but the ending is arguably anticlimactic. After Eggman reveals that he’s faked from his death and a piss poor final battle (I’ll get to that in a second), the day is saved and everybody goes home. Which is fine because it’s a Sonic game and I don’t mind a simple ending, but the Deadly Six just… disappear. Literally, after you fight them in Lava Mountain and acknowledge how major of a threat they’ve become, they don’t appear or are referenced again other than Eggman swearing that he’ll find a way to control the Zeti again. They either just fall into lava or explode in a poof of dust in their boss fights in typical Bowser style while muttering cliché boss death lines. I very much doubt that they’re dead given by their attitude, but my point is that they’re just treated as obstacles here after everything they’ve done. All I wish is that they had some screentime in the ending or a proper farewell/defeat. Hell, I wouldn’t have even minded less than five seconds of them in a POV perspective them shaking their fists at Sonic and Tails flying away from the Lost Hex. Nonetheless, I can see them easily coming back in future titles, but still.

Characters:

When you see the dialogue and character interaction, it's clear that the Happy Tree Friends/MadWorld writers evidently had much control (unlike the last two games) and absolutely nailed. I mean, really, the jokes are actually funny and fit in with the context this time. Not to mention the best characterizations of Sonic and Tails in, well, forever. The former actually displays both substantial amounts of being a smartass, hasty, recognizing the consequences of his failures, and displaying clear signs of getting serious and emotional when his friends are in danger in a believable manner. Sonic mainly spends his time giving witty comebacks to the first few members of the Deadly Six in typical Spider-Man fashion, but when he gets Tails hurt after kicking away Eggman’s cacophonic conch and after Tails gets kidnapped, he expresses his regret. And when Tails is kidnapped, when he meets up with Zor and Zavok afterwards, he doesn’t even joke, he’s actually serious and demands to know where his buddy is. As simple as that is for story telling, that’s astounding progress for the franchise, where Sonic’s either too overly cool/badass every second or overly annoying and childish around others.

With Tails, he’s shocking awesome in this game. Literally, he both acts as a bro to Sonic while also acting casual and sassy to Eggman, the Deadly Six, or even Sonic to their faces when he understandably disagrees with them. Not to mention how we see his intellectual prowess when he reprograms the super computer in the Deadly Six’s lair by using a toothpick from Zomom’s sandwich (which actually ties in to a quote he said earlier in his story when he exclaimed how he’s built a tv out of paperclips and reprogrammed a super computer with a toothpick and dishwasher destergent).

Then there’s Eggman, who you can make a safe bet on being written successfully in most Sonic games. And boy, he definitely shines in this story. Like I said my summarization of the story, his character isn’t forced into looking like this story’s going to change him or anything. Sonic, Tails, and the doc all know that after this is over, they go their separate ways. But even so, there’s still plenty of humor to be shared between his interactions with Sonic and Tails (mainly the latter, though, surprisingly) due to the obvious tension and Sonic having to pick sides between them while still harboring guilt for starting this whole mess. But even then, Eggman does show signs of compassion and doing moral acts, to the point where he goes from talking about genocide with Sonic to immediately saving Tails afterwards (“I’m a complicated guy” LOL). But even more, he’s still a threatening and cunning villain. He has no fear when confronting the Deadly Six and being willing to punish them for their failures and outbursts, gloats to Sonic and Tails about faking his believable sacrifice, and dishes out one of the most darkest and badass quotes (as a threat to the Deadly Six) I’ve ever heard him say. In conclusion, the three main cast members were handled excellently.

Amy and Knuckles are also in this story, but they’re fairly insignificant. In fact, I’m pretty sure that Knux could’ve just been booted out and the story would’ve still been exactly the same minus a humorous five seconds in the first cutscene. I do have to say, however, that as miniscule as Amy is, this game has the best characterization of her I’ve ever seen. In fact, would you believe me if I said that she never mentioned anything romance-related and acted as a casual and concerned friend towards Sonic throughout all of her appearances? Because that’s EXACTLY what I saw. If you didn’t like Amy before, Lost World might actually change that, even just slightly. Say what you want about her Minnie Mouse-esque voice, but her character leads to some believable and vivid emotion for Sonic during the darker moments of the story.

Back to the D6, though, I sincerely hope that the Deadly Six appear in future Sonic games (preferably not right away though) because they have clear potential, but if they do, all I ask is that their backstories and interactions with other characters besides Sonic get fleshed out upon. If there were any flaws I had with them during the story, it was that they just suddenly showed up out of nowhere, we didn’t really learn much about their race or pretty much ANYTHING about the Lost Hex post-intro, and I don’t mean to spoil anything, but after how the story builds up by Lava Mountain, they’re just… gone. No proper sendoff or anything. They’re beaten and that’s that. The story’s still one of or the best in the series, but I hope that they get proper treatment if they appear again. And I have faith in the writers that if they do, then they won’t just fade into Sonic’s supporting cast with barely any future relevance like Shadow or Silver.

Antagonists/Bosses:

Up next, I'm going to go in details about the Deadly Six, both as bosses AND characters. Due go these guys being the main selling point of the game due to being in every trailer and on the cover, as well as being the most major aesthetic of the game’s story, I’m going to give them their own section. So I'm going to talk about their personalities and boss fights in level order.

Zazz:

“There’s that little punk! I’ve been dreaming all day about pounding his sorry blue butt!”

"He's gettin' pretty close. I'm gonna have to bring in my A game if I wanna mop the floor with his spiny butt!"

"WOO HOOOO! Better run, Sonic! I'm gonna take this hedgehog down. We'll be getting all raspy ti'll I'm blue!"

When SEGA put this guy as the first Deadly Six member, they made an excellent choice for a first impression. Seriously, there is no way you can't like this guy. He's a bloodthirsty, insane, punk with who easily brings out a bunch of humor with demonic laughter and Sonic easily provoking his anger with mild antics. And even after his boss, he still maintains a presence in the story through his taunting and can be taken seriously as a threat under his humorous demeanor. Not to mention plenty of memorable lines throughout the game and cliché maniacal laughter while mindlessly flailing around. Considering the palettes of the writers’ past work (Happy Tree Friends and MadWorld), it’s obvious that this character was meant to express that. As for his boss, it's the first so it's simple enough. He has a giant ball and you have to dodge it/attack it when it's low to get him off, in which you dodge his ramming and attack him. His second boss just starts out with a chase and you dodge the ball and hit him on each side of the screen. It's no big, it's simple and gets the job done.

Zomom:

"Oh no, he got farther than I expected! He's going to make look bad... or even worse. Is that even possible?!"

“Mom was right, I am a failure!”

"Who cares about him? Now that I'm free, I wanna squeeze Eggman until he pops!"

I'm not going to lie, this was the Deadly Six member that I was afraid of being too flat and a typical dumb guy. But luckily, he's actually not that trope. In fact, he ever CORRECTS Sonic on his grammar usage the first time they meet. That's absolutely hysterical. XD He does obviously have a gluttonous personality with him constantly everything, but his strength isn't to be underestimated. But even then, there's another side to his character of having low self-esteem (like blurting out how his mom says she was right about him being a failure or if it's possible that Sonic could make him look even worse), which is both funny and bit sad/deep. But he still has undeniable traits of malevolence and wanting to eat people lol. So really, he looks plain, but surprisingly has a bunch of depth. I like that. A lot. His bosses are bit unique, but like Zazz's, they're simple and short, and also individually take place in 3D and 2D. Not bad, but simple.

Zik:

“Sometimes you have to learn something from the end of a boot. That lesson begins now.”

“It’s been a long time since I graced the field of combat. I feel like I’m one-hundred years old again! Perhaps after this, I should go clubbing!”

"Congratulations, you've an old man. Are you proud?!"

The oldest member who formed the Deadly Six and instructed the rest throughout the years. His character is decent and you can see plenty of examples from Zavok and even Zazz that they greatly respect him, which is nice touch. As for his personality, he's both a fun and strict old man with a bit of cheesy quips but can easily go over the edge into directly threatening you, with a bit of a mentality of being a teacher/sensei. His wisdom also acts as an asset to the team in the story, which is nice. He even takes care of his own garden and feels plenty excited for joining combat once more. So in general, he's a decent character and enjoyable. However, I feel like more could've been done with his character in terms of more details on his connection to the Deadly Six such as why he formed it, tidbits about the history of the Lost Hex, info on the Zeti race in general, some hints as to his feats and how he looked when he was younger, etc. Zik gets the job done of course, and he’s still plenty humorous and threatening. When it comes to his boss fights, you guessed it. Simple, but not bad. They're all in 3D though and do require varied strategies like leading him to a razor vent to chop up the giant apple he’s riding on or Homing Attacking his fruit barrier. But let me cut to the chase already, pretty much all of these bosses are just from "alright" to "good" in terms of quality. But with the Sonic series in general, it never excelled at boss fights in the first place. And after all of the chase bosses we've had in recent years, I'd take these arena-esque bosses any day.

Zeena:

“Well, it is my time to take now, isn’t it?!”

"All I wanna do is chill but here comes that fashion disaster hedgehog. I mean, those red shoes look atrocious and the white gloves are ridiculously retro."

"I like a man that shows initiative. Mostly because I don't have any initiative but you're never going to get close to me, blue boy!"

Zeena, like Zomom, was also a case where I was worried about how this character was going to be portrayed. However, she also redeemed herself rather quickly. As you’ve probably noticed by now that every Deadly Six member is pretty much based on a stereotype, but portrayed in a humorous and ingenious fashion. Zeena is obviously based on being one of those manipulative bitch archetypes, but surprisingly, she isn’t much like that at all. In fact, she’s naïve enough to believe any praise given to her, even when it’s obvious sarcasm and flattery given to her by either Zavok or Sonic. She’s still of course a bit bitchy, but mainly only when provoked. And her attitude and incentive is literally nonexistent as she’s much rather spend her time doing her nails rather than helping kill Sonic. In the end, it leads to a fabulous and interesting character that can make me chuckle. The only advice I can give towards her character more is that she could perhaps be a little bit more hostile so that she could be taken a bit more seriously, but even so, she’s a fine character. When it comes to her bosses, they’re actually rather difficult. Her first boss has you rolling around as a giant snowball (it’s the main gimmick of the level itself) and you have to Spin Dash snowmen over a gyroscopic 3D plane in order to snuff her out and proceedingly hit her. The second boss has you on an icy sphere while dodging Zeena while she spins giant snowballs and Homing Attack her. I’m not trying to sound like these are the most revolutionary bosses I’ve seen at all, but they easily provide a nice change of pace from what we usually see.

Zor:

"Maybe all these death traps and robots will kill Sonic, maybe they won't. Does it really matter in the cosmic scheme of things? We’re all going to die eventually."

"Just give up, Sonic. That's what I do. I've given up on hope, happiness, and life... In fact, what am I still doing here? I should just crawl back into bed..."

“Smiling hurts my face. When I hurt your face, it makes me smile. So in the end, I’m just hurting myself… cool.”

Zor… Zor is probably has some of the most brilliant character design (in terms of personality) I’ve seen in a platformer since Dr. Nefarious in Ratchet & Clank. Seriously, this guy undeniably has the best the quotes in the entire game. Look at the three quotes and try to dissuade me. As morbid as they are, just follow me on this. For years, we’ve had to deal with depressing, cliché, and nonstop pandering to characters like Shadow the Hedgehog or even seeing bad futures in Sonic 2006. Zor just takes all of that and puts in a hilarious stereotypical satire that has me on the ground laughing in the middle of gameplay. I don’t know what the writers did to come up with this, but a pseudo-emo/gothic character that even goes as far as literally SAYING “sigh” is just… I love these writers. If I ever meet them in real life, I want embrace them with the sloppiest kiss I could make out their ingenuity for making this character. Not to mention how he labels Sonic as a loser and an object for why he thinks the world is rotten and even ends up in a situation where he arrives to tell the Deadly Six dire news when they already found out seconds ago (“WE KNOOOOW!”). XD Moving on to his bosses, the first just has you kicking away projectiles in a 2.5D setting, which is simple, I suppose. But the second actually changes things up with Zor using dark techniques to summon literal shadow clones of himself that float around the stage. The ground gets gradually broken down during the match and you have to light up the room in order to know where the real Zor is. The boss only takes two-three hits, but with the situation this boss puts you in, it’s either extremely easy or both tedious and difficult.

Zavok:

“Well, that was so easy I almost feel guilty.”

“All this work, all this effort, to reach the one Zeti that you can’t defeat. As Zor would say, how pointless.”

“Your fate is to be destroyed. Why can’t you just accept that? Lie down, and die!”

Zavok, needless to say, is the best Sonic antagonist since Eggman. Not only does he pack whopping strength under his belt, but has both leadership qualities and can quickly form plans on the spot with no hesitation, even when they unexpectedly take a turn for the worse. That, combined with his epic laughter, makes him a threat to be reckoned with. This guy is seriously top-notch badass with how the story gradually progresses. He openly speaks up against Eggman to his face while still being subjugated by the good doctor and openly taunts Sonic when his friends are in danger with his hopes gradually crumbling down. As for Zavok’s bosses, they’re actually pretty difficult. He rides a dragon/serpent mech (considering how he’s technically a demon, that’s pretty fitting) and you have to dodge his projectiles and electric rushes across a 3D planetoid and Homing Attack across the back of his serpent to Zavok, who’s at the head. As for his second boss, it’s merely my favorite in the game just because of the atmosphere. No gimmicks, no planetoids, no giant balls or fruits or heads or snowballs, not giant mechs doing the work, no, you could just feel how personal this is. It’s literally just Sonic and Zavok fighting atop the serpent mech with storm clouds in the background, an epic orchestra remix of the Deadly Six theme made SPECIFICALLY for this fight, and in a 2D view. Easily one of my favorite fights in the franchise because of how it looks. Furthermore, ZAVOK BLOCKS YOUR ATTACKS. HEFNEUFNHEGFJBYEFGEYBFT3U6FT3IVEBFYEKYUFEFU34BYLIFB843Y93BF439BYFT3FILY34G4NF3LTB3YO8BFT7IEYFLVFTBEDIUETFETLFETFEFBEYFNE;FN;’FNRYF’R0EFENWF;FNE/WFW;FF.EGRUWR83Y8965P2BP565P68573BNR;CRYRNX. AKA, meaning that you have to switch between kicking and Homing Attack, although it does get a bit repetitive. The only downside about this boss is that you have to unknowingly charge your Homing Attack to launch Zavok off of the mech in the final segment once you kick him. And you do this until he’s at the edge, where you can initiate his plunge of doom with the swift move of your charged Homing Attack.

Oh, and then there's Doctor Eggman. His boss was absolutely disappointing and lackluster, and that's not even counting that he's the final boss. It's literally Egg Nega Wisp 2.0, except it's disappointing. Enough said. I will give him credit for the design, though, because it looks pretty jagged (2099 lingo for cool). 
Finally, that’s the whole game. Yep, that’s it, no more surprises here. I hope you liked my review and feel free to talk about what your favor-

FREAKING WISPS:

Okay, I’ll cut the crap. There’s one more major thing I have to mention, but God, I want to avoid this aspect so much. I’m about to talk to you about… the Wisps. Man, they shouldn't have been in this game. At all. And I loved them in Colors, mind you. They don't even help you out to branching paths and exploration, they're literally just shortcuts disguised with complicated gimmick controls (there are alternate conventional controls for them, but of course, the game doesn't even bother to tell you), and barely add anything to the gameplay. In fact, some of them are literally just there as minigames like the Indigo Wisps and the Green Wisps only exist in the final level (before the extra world post-credits) just for the sake of acting as shortcuts and can piss you off to extreme heights because you have to be in a very specific position to use the Ring Dash (seriously, out of all the exclusive Colors Wii Wisps, they bring back Green Hover. I... I just can't...). Not to mention that the Cyan Wisps, which arguably had one of the most unique and great potential for usage in so many means of context, just gets reduced to short bursts of aiming at crystals. Some of them, I don't mind once I get used to the control, but God, you have no idea how many times I restarted Windy Hill Zone 3 just because I was trying to get a Red Ring in an Indigo Asteroid minigame until I FINALLY learned that I could levitate by holding A... Shocking bullbit. Really, the game would've benefited so much more if the levels were developed with the Wisps in mind, or if they were excluded altogether. Thank God that they're still optional. I do hope that SEGA does listen to fan feedback for the Wisps because they have confirmed that they will be a recurring feature in future Sonic games, and if so, they need to be implemented like in Colors, but with much more of a focus towards 3D environments.

Soundtrack:

Oh, and I almost for got the soundtrack. I trust that these themes will help you judge it's quality more than my own words.

Desert Ruins Zone 1:

Tropical Resort Zone 3/Lava Mountain Zone 2:

(the above song is especially memorable if you see what happens in the story before Lava Mountain Zone 2)

Silent Forest Zone 2:

Sky Road Zone 2:

Deadly Six Theme 1:

Zavok's Battle Theme:

Final Boss Theme:

Conclusion:

In conclusion, gameplay's fantastic, but unnecessary additions like the Wisps and charged Homing Attacks can prove to be a bother. The parkour and bosses could've been better in some aspects and I hope that they're kept and improved in later games, but they were still fun. Not to mention the obvious story gaps. But still, don't let that get to you, because the rest of what I have to say is ALL positive. Oh, what's that, you want a number score? Well, I personally flip off number scores because I say that's a flawed system regardless of how accurate it might be. So let me just say this. It's an awesome Sonic game, and despite its flaws, it's still managed to arguably become one of or my favorite game in the series. You might not share that exact opinion, but my overall point is that it's good and you'll have tons of fun and memories with this game. If you ever plan on getting a Wii U or 3DS, or already have both or either, I definitely recommend purchasing this game as soon as possible. I hope you all enjoyed my longass review and feel free to leave your feedback if you actually bother to read all of this. Sayonara.

Last edited by Count Mario on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Count Rants: Sonic Lost World

Post by DP on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Needs moar organizing.

I had to guestimate where to go to avoid spoilers on the story, because there was no bold or centered indicator that the topic had changed.

Otherwise, good rant.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:32 pm

I could use more organizing, yeah. I sort of just winged this lol. But I did put this:

Story (SPOILERS AHEAD):
Where the story section began. So yeah. But thank you.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Tanys are fun....wall of text not fun. 

but i read it all. the game sounds like.....the review were harsh on it but the complaints were genuine. however i only got that this is a good game if your a sonic fan already. if not its a bad jump on point. also the Deadly Six are awesome. thats what i got from this.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RWcomix on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, Count. I read it. The whole thing.

Now it's high-time I reply.

I'm actually pretty excited about the game. Having some variety in how you attack the enemies is a nice feature, instead of, like you said, just homing attacking everything. The game's parkour system sounds a bit saddening due to how much they hyped it up. And it sounds like the wisps are absolutely atrocious.

However, adding exploration and alternate paths to the level is great for any kind of game like this. It gives a much broader feeling of 'freedom' even if you're still on a set path.

As far as story details (Yes, I spoiled it for myself) I'm glad. Even though Eggman is still, well, Eggman, it sounds like a lot of the characters feel more 'real' and less 'mary-sue'. Having non-cliche, or at least not as cliche characters and a fairly decent story compared to the rest of the games in the series gets me pretty excited about this one.

Now I've gotta mention character designs. The Zeti sound like a fun race, and you can totally see how their species is characterized in this. You're mentioning you'd like to see more of the deadly six and the lost hex, but honestly, I'd like to see more of the Zeti civilization. I mean, there's no way there's JUST the six Zeti unless they're some kind of ancient race or something that's barely moving by (Yes, I Know their age, so it's possible, but I doubt it.) But they look really neat compared to most Sonic villains. I've gotta say my favorite design is Zavok, though. The big red guy. And it's just because of how they animate when he talks. Having those huge overbite fangs and all. It just looks cool whenever he speaks in the cutscenes.

However. About Amy. First off,  I think her voice is the most atrocious voice acting I've heard in the Sonic series. And I've played Sonic Adventure 1. It is AWFUL. YAY SHE DOESN'T FLIRT WITH SONIC ANYMORE BUT TREATS HIM LIKE A FRIEND! You know me, Count. So you should know what I'm about to say. It's one simple word that would completely change Amy and the series as we know it. One thing. They should've made Amy... a yandere. I'm, of course, just saying this to spite you, of course. xD But yeah. I guess it's good characterizing her like they did in lost world so she won't be so obnoxious. I just hope they find a new voice actress, because this chick was just as bad in Generations.

All in all, it looks like a fun new Sonic game with some flaws mixed in with all the new features, which, of course, is to be expected. But hey, it's alright. I plan on getting both versions of the game, so I'll enjoy the multitude of levels I'll be playing through. This helps convince me the game is gonna be a pretty solid one, though. Lookin' forward to it.
RWcomix
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : Papermachei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

So, like a 6 or 7.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:54 pm

@lpool:

I take it that you misspelled "rants" due to t being next to r and y being next t, but okay.

Well... where the issues come form are somewhat genuine. However, people either let that get out of control to the point where they even give the game a four out of ten, or they try to just brush it off and claim it to be the best game ever. I'm leaning more towards the positive of course, but I do try to give acknowledgement to the flaws I felt and saw.

However, yeah, it's a good game for those that are platformer fans. I wouldn't say it's guaranteed for Sonic fans because, well, the fanbase is divided as hell, and there are reasonable arguments for why people like or didn't dislike this game from fans.

And yes, the Deadly Six are awesome. If there's anything that most or pretty much all of the reviews skip out on, it's the story and cutscenes, which definitely irks me.

@Comix:

Wow, you actually gave substantial feedback. And more than lpool did for a thread about a Sonic game. I think that Hell's frozen over, in all honesty.

You bring up an excellent point about the Zeti civilization, which I actually pointed out in another Sonic forum lol. I think we can both agree that we pretty much want the Deadly Six's entire backstory extended if they return, along with making Lost Hex actually important. And those are underbite fangs, Comix. GIT YO FAX STRAT!

And I noted in one line about Amy regarding her Mickey Mouse voice and how people are open to not like or like it. XD (mainly thought of you when I typed that, though)

But all in all, thanks for reading. Your comment made my day, if only for the fact that you actually contributed the most lol.

@Anaconda:

Not a fan of number scores, like I noted. But if you really had to push me for one, I'd say a 7.5.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:57 pm

i could have contributed more but.......
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RWcomix on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:58 pm

You post that like it's late. And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm aware that it's AM. hurr
RWcomix
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : Papermachei

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:08 am

I mentally noted the spoiler comment, Count, my point was that I didn't have a substantial reference point to scroll towards because of the lack of headings so I was concerned I'd see a spoiler.

Anyway, that score is pretty good considering no (3D) Sonic game deserves above an 8.5 really. And I'm talking in a fan's perspective.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:11 am

Count Mario wrote:

@Anaconda:

Not a fan of number scores, like I noted. But if you really had to push me for one, I'd say a 7.5.
I understand that, but I prefer them and I was close enough.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah, I saw where you were coming from, DP. I'll make sure to promote more organization and clear headings next time.

And yeah, 7.5's fair. But like I said earlier, I don't side with the numbering system due to I personally believing it to be flawed and open to wide reception despite the specific numbering. I prefer reviews that either tell you to get the game or not or even letter grading.

And it's fine if you prefer them, Anaconda. I just don't lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 am

I hate modern scores but until a good alternative evolves I have to stick with them. Although in my book I count 6s or above as possible purchases. (I bought A4O TWICE for Christ's sake lol)
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 am

I bought a 360 over a PS3 early in its launch for Sonic 2006. Try to top that. XD

And like a wise man once said, I don't read reviews to learn whether I should buy something or not. I do it to agree or disagree with them.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 am

For me 5 and below games are a no chance, 6 to 7 is a maybe, but probably not, 8 to 10's are most likely.

There's one game I disagree with that's a 5 and below is, Silent Hill: Downpour.

@Count: I get that and understand.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:24 am

Personally I buy mainly 7s and above unless I love the franchise (basically r&c, pokemon and infamous seemingly sonic but sonic doesn't review well.). If it's a 7 but I like the concept I'll give it a look. 8 or above I'll give it a look. That's how I roll. I use reviews the filter out shit I won't buy a game cause of a review.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 pm

honestly i try to avoid scores completely i look at the pros and cons in the reviews and its worked out for me well so far
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top