PAStadiums Video Game Reviews Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PAStadiums Video Game Reviews Thread.

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm

I'm sure you all feel the same way as I do. Sometimes you wish to express your utter affection for a game, or to tear it apart like a piece of meat. Maybe you just feel you could do better than reviewers do with their efforts. it doesn't really matter why but if you feel like giving your thoughts on any game post it here. its a good way to recommend games or tell each other to stay the fuck away. personally i have 3 i wish to write over the next week, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Remember Me and Pokemon Y with a Ratchet and Clank Nexus review later. no game is off limits however for the sake of browsing try to keep it in spoiler tags and avoid Major spoilers where possible. so without further Adu lets begin

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance:
I had a weird epiphany whilst playing this game. somewhere in my rather varied time gaming, Hack and Slash games rose to be one of my favourite genres, The Combo Systems in these games were simple yet satisfyingly complex. However they could get pretty repetitive and very rarely had any substance. The titans of the Genre were rather obvious. Devil May Cry, God of War and the like. but the most varied studio to make these games has to be Platinum. They love their action games such as Bayonetta proves and are the masters of making a fun yet engaging action game. However taking on probably the biggest Mature franchise in gaming outside GTA and COD in terms of recognition in Metal Gear was no small feat and left me Skeptical especially with the use of Raiden as the protagonist. Many other Metal Gear and Platinum fans felt the same way.

Within the tutorial level of the 8 chapter campaign these fears will be instantly put to rest. Although a step back in terms of crazy from Bayonetta, Rising is an over the top action game that feels right at home in the Metal Gear universe. The story follows Raiden as he and the PMC company he works for try to snuff out Desperado, their competitors who are trying to jump start a war seemingly, however the web of intrigue surrounding Desperado pulls Raiden in and he will do whatever it takes to stop them, cutting them down one cyborg ninja at a time. The games narrative won't win any Game of the Year awards but it is more than sufficient. The game lets you know quickly that your not ment to take it seriously, despite the amount of melodrama in the dialogue. Whenever the game isn't being overly serious its mocking itself with everything from subtle gags involving a poncho to on the nose humour such as Raiden dressing in a poncho to "blend in" in Mexico. The game refers to its routes many times with Boxes, "kept you waiting huh?" and the classic "!" Alert upon every encounter (Although its not a bad thing in this game.) The protagonists minus Raiden himself and Bladewulf, a robotic canine with an A.I> are pretty bland however. this can mostly be blamed on lack of screentime but this makes no sense due to the villains. Every boss gets roughly the same screen time as the support but feel soo much more...complete. The bosses often question Raidens morals and beliefs, often leading to Raiden reflecting on his ways as a warrior before showcasing his ninja skills.  

That brings us to the combat. Alot of Hack and Slash games have to toe the line between "Nintendo Hard" and excruciatingly easy which they fail at miserably. Metal Gear Rising allows you to deal with any situation in anyway you like, meaning combat is never boring and its only as hard as you make it. if you want to chop a guy into 100 tiny pieces without pressing a face button you can do that, if you want to cut him in half and be efficient you can do that, if you want to use an RPG to snipe your foes you can do that and if you want to  sneak up and execute your foe you can do that. every strategy has its opportune moments so think then slice. The combat itself is really fluid, racking up high combos and part counts is simple enough, but switching to fierce attacks can be tricky due to the mapping of the parry to  forward square and with the lack of a dodge roll (There is a dodge but its unlockable and even more awkward) combos tend to be broken unless you stick to lights. The game truly shines during its boss encounters, each one requiring to use Blade Mode very Precisely to open up their defences and cut them into Cyborg parts. The final boss is rather cheap but its also gives a proper sense of achievement when you beat it which some games forget. These encounters are often destruction heavy, Man to Man encounters backed up with an epic score spread throughout most of Rising. Its hard to pick a favourite boss fight as each one s completely different to the last despite the fact you need no new techniques to beat them. 

Mechanics wise, as mentioned the lack of a proper dodge and block button can make Rising awkward enough to get the hang of. The Blade Mode mechanics took quite a step back from the "cut everything Mechanics promised when the game still had the Solid sub title, which is good as one of the few places the game suffers graphically are when you cut the environment. to prevent clutter objects tend to fade out of existence or worse, remain in place despite being a small 1 inch high piece of gate with a cyborg running full tilt into it, breaking the flow a bit. During the epic finale of one of the later bosses, cutting it into small pieces can lead to parts of it popping into nothingness without warning and given the fact its focused on in slow motion this is quite disorienting. there is the occasional WTF moment during Ninja Run (parkour) chase scenes but otherwise the game is technically solid. 

Once you beat the main story there isn't much to do however. The "After Game" Consists of grinding that perfect Score for a S Rank, playing on higher difficulties, Trophy Hunting and collecting some intel to unlock AR missions, basically add on challenges. although disappointing you will probably want to play the campaign again anyway so its not that nig a deal but it needs to be noted) 

If i was to describe MGR:R simply it would be "Like an Anime". The story is ridiculous yet engaging as are the action sequences, the plot never takes itself to seriously despite the heavy amounts of melodrama and despite a few animation/graphical errors the game does look pretty good. The lack of an after game is disappointing but not game breaking and there is a small bit of replayability in playing through again. This is a winning formula i Hope Kojima and Platinum return to as it helped expose me to my love of Hack and Slash games. I give Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance an 8/10

let me know if you guys like this idea, write your own reviews and critique mine below.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PAStadiums Video Game Reviews Thread.

Post by Count Mario on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Quick note, I'm going to make my game reviews a part of this thread mainly out of self indulgence their extensive length, the fact that my "The Count Rants" series extends out of just the video game genre, and because I want to give away to discussion that doesn't circulate around my long posts. That, and I'm not going to abide by not revealing major spoilers lol.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Jak II

Spoiler:
I'm not even gonna get started on this pile of shit lol. Don't play it. Ever. Not even for the story. Just fucking Google it. Please.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top