Little Big Planet Karting

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Little Big Planet Karting

Post by Fabsta1994 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm on the fence about grabbing this game. I've been getting a lot of mixed feelings out of it and haven't really tried a demo or anything. 

I know IGN has a very negative view on it (I never take them seriously anyway) the game doesn't seem to have many faults that they've talked about which would ultimately be a game breaker. In fact some of the things they point out are incredibly nit-picky and don't hold their weight at all. It's like as if they were bashing it for the sake of it not being a Mario Kart game.

What is your opinion on it? Does it hold up and will it ultimately be a great experience playing with other people in the room?

Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Little Big Planet Karting

Post by BigBox on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:36 pm

I picked it up when it was free on PS+ and had a grand ol' time.  With the possibilities you have in the LBP world and fun gameplay, it's easily the best Kart racing I ever played because the fun never ends because of tracks people have made.

Last edited by Anaconda_Vice on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 am; edited 2 times in total
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:30 am

I had a fantastic time with it.  The only thing that i would consider a flaw is the fact that creation mode is purely a solo experience.  One of my favorite things in the other littlebig planet games was creating levels WITH friends.  Just thought i'd let you know
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 am

Glad to hear good things!

I have one other question: After the fallout with Sony, did they still give out the Kevin Butler DLC that was supposed to come with the preorder?
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 am

yep.  i have it
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:37 am

Cool! Shame I don't think I can get my hands on the costume... it's not in the store.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:52 am

This is the most awful kart racer I've ever played.

Yes, content is limitless, but the races themselves suck. The controls feel floaty and unresponsive, the ai for solo play is quite terrible and the atmosphere just doesn't....feel....right.

I couldn't recommend this game ever.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:14 am

Nothing wrong with the controls there, LBP controls have always felt floaty.  They feel extremely responsive too me and things like drifting flow together perfectly.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:32 am

lpool1996moh wrote:ai for solo play is quite terrible and the atmosphere just doesn't....feel....right.
Care to be more specific? I don't see the issue.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, lpool's comment applies to LBP as a whole. They're really floaty games, to the point that I never got into them. I can't tell if Karting is especially floaty as I haven't played, I'm just jumping in with my two cents on the series' handling as a whole.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mtjjrstccw2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 am

Ok in all other LBP's...my creations were never to my liking, I just couldn't create the awesome things I thought up...when I got this game, I actually could create! Much easier actually! I'm better at creating in this game than other LBP's, so that is why I love it, for me it's easier! For you, eh, i would definitely recommend this game, but whether you'll like it or not, I'm not sure, you'll just have to play it yourself and see
Mtjjrstccw2
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : mtjjrstccw1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mtjjrstccw2 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:41 am

Btw Ipool...Um the solo races don't define the game, especially since this isn't meant to be a game with a great single player...The controls were fine to me
Mtjjrstccw2
Sticker
Sticker

PSN : mtjjrstccw1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:33 pm

I too played the game when it was free for ps+ and being that I am not into racers as much as I used to be, this was still pretty fun. 

as mentioned before, I did feel they had the same floaty feel that lbp had, but once you get the hang of that floaty-ness, its not so bad. The first few levels of the story are slow, just like in the original lbp but it gets better as you progress.

If you have friends who will play with you, its definitely worth a shot!
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Floatyness doesn't work for kart racers, it barely works for platformers (lbp is a mediocre platformer with a great feature in the level creation.) Even if you like this game, does it compare to Sonic all Stars or the Mighty Mario Kart? No. Those games are tight, fast full of personality. You can play them locally or online with great results. Lbpk is not fast, it's charming but not in the right ways for a kart racer, it feels bare bones and unresponsive. Yes online is the focus, but it's not hype enough for local and there's basically no single player options due to terrible so. The level creation is great but that's all I'll give it. It's a sub par entry to a franchise I feel is severely over rated anyway.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Sonic Transformed is by far the greatest Kart racer around. If you're looking for an excellent game I can't recommend any Kart game over that one. Maybe Mario Kart 8 but that's not out until late next year so I'm going on theory alone.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Well, I'm giving it a try today and I'll show my final verdict.

Though I seriously doubt a LBP game could ever feel "Bare bones".
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:49 pm

The gameplay really does, in comparison to past games so is the creator. It felt sloppy.

I love driving games. Need for speed, Burnout, Forza, Gran Turismo and all kart racers. And of course my love for Twisted Metal is well Established.

This is by far the worst one I've ever played. It's more Sunday drive than Race.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm

it feels more like a littlebig planet game than a racing game which some people like and some people don't.  Due to the littlebig planet games not being fast paced, this one isn't really either.  I enjoyed it a lot
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:16 pm

you can't make a racing game thats not fast. Slow platformers, sure but slow Racing game.....that is such a contradiction. 

its also floaty, unresponsive and...soo many problems. i'm repeating myself at this stage but these aren't just genre problems most of these things would not pass in most genres (Hack/, Fighter, Shooter...RPGs can't be floaty unless you count the Skyrim Giant glitch.) Platformers the only one you COULD get away with it. a genre move was a bad idea, making it a reskinned Modnation with worse controls was worse.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I'm not trying to start something here, friend.  Just voicing my opinion.  I actually liked it better than mario kart but i guess that's not saying much because i never really liked mario kart to begin with haha
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 pm

.........marko my friend. your gamer card. give it back. you don't need it anymore. 

i just...this pile of.....over mar.........yeah i'm done.

lol but seriously.... okay i legitimately cannot understand how you could like the game at all, let alone say its better than mario kart. it takes a damm good game to be better than a Mario Kart Game (Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is pretty much the only one i'd say beats Mario Kart) and even more to beat its appeal when played on a local level (Something sonic doesn't do) .
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Personally, I can't recommend anything over Little Big Planet Karting. After years of playing Mario Kart, LBPK achieves things that Mario Kart doesn't.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:25 pm

yeah creating levels and........thats pretty much it. you can create levels. you play LBPK on a couch it will not get hype the Same way Mario Kart will (That was the problem with PASBR but at least that was an undeniably solid game. ) the races just aren't as fun and for all the tricks you can get the tracks never hit the heights of mario kart. when some of the most played levels are  Bad (VERY VERY VERY BAD)Mario Kart Remakes, not just in LBPK but even in LNP2/1/V. then that speaks for itself.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Look at it like this, LBPK allows completely creative freedom which is a major bonus.  And, you really can't ague tracks with LBPK because you can make and play Mario Kart tracks on LBPK.

Both are great games, but on the side of LBPK it's a highly underrated game.  With the two it's a matter of personal preference, do you want tight competitive controls and a loose family friendly game that allows complete and total imagination make the game for you.  Making LBPK an all in one game for the most part.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 pm

LBPK is equal to MK for online PLay, falls shorter in every other method you could play. It cannot be played competitive (I don't think any racing game can really) beyond a couch but you will have much more fun with MK with anybody else. 

That video proves another of my points as well. The LPBK levels don;t compare to MK levels in charm or visual appeal. Not to mention the soundtrack. or the speed (That side by side comparison highlights it. LPBK is the same speed as the original controls about the same too.). or just general personality. and you will never get some of the better tracks made right. Rainbow road comes to mind (An update one like MKwiis version). 

Don't get me wrong, they are great for user levels. But the whole game is user levels even the dev ones. Plus its HD on the more powerful console and its till just downright worse. Minus the level creator, If you wanted to just jump on and do four or five races with some friends, what honestly makes LPBK better in any way. nothing. like at all. it really is one of the worst games i've ever played, my little sister asked me to turn it off after half a race. and she can play tekken well, let alone MK.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top