I Need Some Constructive Criticism for an Action-RPG Concept I'm Working On. (Update; Rebel Group Named and Given Backstory)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Need Some Constructive Criticism for an Action-RPG Concept I'm Working On. (Update; Rebel Group Named and Given Backstory)

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 am

This game is a about not being able to fit in, loss and self-perseverance.

Basic Info
Release Date: Q 2017/2018 *Unofficial Release Time Slot*
MSRP: N/A
M for Mature: Drug Reference, Intense Violence, Language, Sexual Themes, Use of Tobacco *Unofficial Rating*
Genre: Action/RPG
Publisher: Self-Published Indie
Developer: --

Story Description
In a land that once lived in harmony and thrived on peace.  This once great land fell to corruption like many others before.  In the darkest of times, it is up to an unlikely hero and a commanded army of rebel fighters to restore the land.  The events that are to take place were all that was needed to cause the spark that plunged the land into a massive war, the likes of which it has never seen.  With the spirits that once protected the land, becoming under control the ones they protected.  War and profit becomes something natural to the land as its beauty once was.  Then in the midst of the chaos and ashes, three new kingdoms arose to protect their own greedy interests.  In order to obtain true peace, the First Great War is an unavoidable necessity.

Game Mechanics
- The game’s overall style of game-play is loosely based on 3D platforming.
- The game makes use of a hack & slash influenced combat system.
- The game makes use of magical abilities.
- Puzzles play a part in the game’s design adding more depth to the gameplay.
- Items and various useable objects play a part in the game by being used in puzzles, fights, adventuring, ect.
- The game makes use of a leveling system in which the character becomes stronger with the more xp points you earn.
- The progression of the game in overall  is level based.
- The range of combat in the game on average is within close to medium range during fights.
- To keep track of things like health and mana the games makes use of bars that start out at 4 Health Points and 3 Magic Points.
- Potions, food and drinks are used to restore health and magic.
- The level cap is, 30.
- The system used to make the main character more powerful is called the, ‘Power Grid.’
- In order to unlock bonus stats/abilities in the ‘Power Grid.’  You must completely pay off the required amount of points listed for said stat bonus, or ability.
- Gear bonuses are based on gloves, boots, wrist bands and rings.
- Saving and Respawning: The player can save only at designated save spots and if the player dies, they respawn at the last place they saved.  However, in a dungeon the player can only save at pre-set check points and respawn at pre-set check points.
- Continues and Player Lives: The player will normally start with 3 continues and 3 player lives.  Lives can be obtained through the game’s overworld.  Continues can only be obtained by leveling up ten times, bought at stores, or bought at the ‘Game Over’ menu.
- Game Over: At the ‘Gamer Over’ menu the player has the option to continue if they have any continues, go back to the ‘Main Menu,’ or purchase more continues.  The player can only purchase more continues if they are out of continues.  If you purchase continues to continue the game from the ‘Game Over’ screen one of them will be used and the player will be put into the world with 2 continues.
- Save Files: There are three available save files that can be custom named so each person playing the game knows which one is there’s.
- Base Stats
Strength: Attack Power Bonus
Intellect: Spell Power Bonus
Agility: Movement Speed Bonus While in Battle
Luck: Critical Hit Bonus
(Base stats can be increased from buying stats with XP in the ‘Power Grid.’)
- Bonus Stats
Attack Power
Attack Damage Bonus
Spell Power
Spell Damage Bonus
Crictical Hit Chance %
- Leveling Numbers
2 Strength = 1 Attack Power, 2AP = 1 Attack Damage Bonus
2 Intellect = 1 Spell Power, 2SP = 1 Spell Damage Bonus
4 Agility = 1% Movement Speed Increase While in Battle
4 Luck = 1.5% Critical Hit Bonus
(Stat increases happen every 3 levels.)

Difficulty
Easy: Continues are replenished every 10 levels and can be bought at stores.  The player has a limit of 3 continues and enemies don’t attack as often.
(DEFULT)Normal: Continues are replenished every 10 levels and can only be bought at stores at level cap.  The player has a limit of 3 continues and enemies become attack a bit more.
Hard: The player only has 3 continues until level cap when they can be purchased from the store.  Enemy attacks become more aggressive.  Enemies have more health.
Very Hard:  The player only has 3 continues and continues can’t be bought at the ‘Game Over’ menu.  Continues can be bought at level cap and after the main storyline has been beaten.  Enemy attacks become more aggressive and consistent.  Continuing in dungeons resets the dungeon and the player must start at the beginning of the dungeon. Enemies have more health and do more damage.

Art Style
- The art will be drawn to look realistic with a traditional anime hint to express fantasy.
- Cut-scenes will be shown in the form of a motion comic and will be in color.
- For side quest the game will stay in-game and a text box will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- Although the game is aimed for a realistic look and feel, a slight bit of cell shading will be used to make the colors stand out a bit more.(5% to 10% cell shaded layering.)
- Each island will have its own unique color scheme to separate each island from the others.

(Note: The project is inspired by, Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda)

Last edited by Anaconda_Vice on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 am; edited 10 times in total
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I Need Some Constructive Criticism for an Action-RPG Concept I'm Working On. (Update; Rebel Group Named and Given Backstory)

Post by DP on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:21 am

Be careful with puzzles. They're rarely done right and usually just break the pace of a game. That's the biggest thing I can say
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I Need Some Constructive Criticism for an Action-RPG Concept I'm Working On. (Update; Rebel Group Named and Given Backstory)

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks for the advice, and I actually forgot to post something which would be the difficulties.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:16 am

More comments will help, sorry for the double post and bumping this.  But, this thread is important to me because I need all of the constructive criticism I can get.  Thank you. cheers
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:47 am

Other than the color-coded levels (which I'd assume is/suggest should be themed as opposed to simply being different colors), I only have one other comment: What platform are we talking?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 am

I was going to make the places unique, I didn't bother to post that because that falls under setting more than anything posted. As for platform, It is currently undecided but most likely going to be PC and play with a gamepad.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 am

Okay good. Because as you very likely know, anything touch-screen based that requires both action and motion input simultaneously doesn't work well. Too much screen real estate is taken away. On PC it's a lot more workable.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 am

As much as I would like to do something touch-screen based, perferably something like a second-screen to make managing other things easier.  That isn't the case since I don't want to release on Nintendo in fear of the game being overlooked when standing next to one of the games that inspired it on the same console.  I don't want it to go anywhere near the X-Box One/360 because I don't want a Microsoft screwjob.  Even with Microsofts' ways towards Indies has changed, their ways have doing business hasn't.  I'm most open to the PlayStation 4/3 because it would be a lot easier to make a name for myself among PlayStation's exclusvies.  Especially since, with the way Sony is towards Indie Games these days.  But, by the time I get this going hopefully Square's kickstarter will be up and putting their name behind an up start RPG would help.  Aside from development and actual release, PC is still the likely choice with a console version afterwards.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

When reading how the game will be played, i couldn't help but think of darksiders (more so darksiders 2 and 1) which made sense when you brought up Zelda, which I personally think is a very good thing. It's perfectly fine with using mechanics from any game as long as you do it justice. 

on each separate island, are you going to be able to travel to most of the areas freely? or will you have to progress through the game to visit each area?
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:41 pm

It's interesting that you brought up Darksiders, while putting it together I never thought of that game. I was thinking a more strategic gameplay as opposed to Darksiders fast pace kill 'em game-type. The way I kind of started with this concept was, "what if Final Fantasy played like a Legend of Zelda game? As well as vice versa of "what if Legend of Zelda progressed like Final Fantasy?" Then I got thinking about how games these days have pretty much abandoned the idea of player lives and continues. When that came to mind, the influence for the gameplay was to create a nostalgic feeling of playing video games back in the '90s. When video games were considered hard, but I thought about why they were considered hard. And, that was because these days there's little to no punishment for dying/failing. I probably veered off a bit here, but that's pretty much how this game concept came to be.

Free roam is definitely something that is used in the game overall. I'm unsure of how the game world will be played, I like the idea of moving freely between areas and doing things at your own pace. But, at the same time I like the idea of linear storytelling and unlocking new islands as you progress through the game. Because, that gives the player an idea that they're working for something all the time and as a gamer I like that feeling. But, even in that setting the player can still do it at their own pace.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:02 pm

Okay, with game progression a decision has been made in favor of creative thought to allow more time and effort to be put into the game. I made this choice because it also relieves pressure, so taking a page from Blizzard's playbook and making an expansion based game. I can create solid storyline elements and avoid over thinking everything.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 am

Here is some treats for anyone interested in this project.  Nothing is solid, but these are just some ideas that I put together for the User Interface in-game and an in-game weapon.

I can't draw that good, so my best effort is making simple things in MS Paint.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 am

What's the purple on the bottom center?
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:10 pm

XP Bar, I forgot to label it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Ah alright. The only issue I have is that the Bonus Damage meter is a bit too big and kind of out of place to me. I'd go with something smaller or perhaps a percentage on the corner of the screen, because then you can play more with it and effects like it popping out a bit if you get max damage or something.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I see what you mean, what I could do is slim it up a bit, and tuck in the corner, then put a percentage number next to it so people can still notice it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:42 am

I'm looking for a partner to help me with the project. I have a lot of ideas that I'm having hard time sorting out and need to bring a fresh breath of air to the project. Anyone interested can ask, but I only need one other person.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:01 am

Sword design of the other most important sword in the game.

Weapons
 Five, or Six Swords (Possibly More)

Magic
10+ Abilities/Power Ups

Items/Dungeon/Misc.
20+
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:18 am

Bump
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 am

*The names aren't blank because I'm keeping them secret, they're blank because I'm terrible at naming characters.*

*Some character story/background outlines*

Characters

"A rebellious soldier with nothing left to lose."

Name: ____
Race: Human
Story: 
____was born a regular kid that lived in a small village in a small farm village.  That was until King ____ ordered his men to destroy as the village had planned to overthrow the King.  ____ was the only survivor of the attack when, ______ found him took the young buy with him.  Instead of killing Adam, he realized that _____ could be the ultimate weapon that would grant the King World Domination.  Convincing the King of ____’s importance, he was spared as ______ took him and raised him based on a lie.  Being too young to notice the difference, _____ believed every word of it.  Shortly into his adult years, he knew something was wrong, but never showed it.

After learning of the King’s plans of world domination, everything that was kept in the dark was brought to the light.  It was now, _____ goal to prevent this from happening at all costs.  ____ would disappear for two long years where he would secretly build a rebel army to confront the might of the King.  By the time his rebel surfaced though, there would be four kingdoms standing and all of them would have to be brought down.

"A devious one that posses a silver tongue."
Name:
Story:
____ had always been loyal to the royal kingdom having become a royal soldier at the age of seventeen.  Much like the King, he came from the poor district of the kingdom.  He had a hard childhood growing up facing an abusive daily life at the hands of his father.  He knew something had to be done, during a hunting trip with his father had finally had enough after being beaten for making a simple.  _____ had finally had enough of the abuse, and killed his father in cold blood and never returned home.  At this time, he would be the age of 16.

A year later, ____ saw a recruitment poster for the Royal Army and lied about his age in order to join.  He graduated at the top of his class and was the best fighter of his class as well.  The young boy was the perfect soldier who took orders as given and never raised any questions.  At the age of 25 he was appointed to be the King’s personal body guard.  Then at the age of 30 he would be diagnosed with a disease that threatened his life, ____ knew he would have to find a successor.  Although it didn't impact him physically.  Someone had  to take his spot after he had died and then one day take the throne when the King to should perish.  No one in the academy was up to his standards.  Then one day during the attack on _____ farm village he realized he had found the one and then pretended to save him.  Through the lie he would be able to mold the child to his liking however, not all things went according to plan.

Story:

Growing up, ____ told everyone that he was going to be the King one day.  He was a poor young boy who grew up in the poor district of the royal kingdom and was constantly in trouble.  He always got into fights and usually had plenty of words for his foes.  He was a brash young boy that didn’t have many limits of what he would do to help himself and his single mother.  One day when he was stealing groceries for him and his mother, he would return to his mother cold-bloodedly murdered and swore revenge and that he will be King one day.  He would one day chosen to be King after saving his Queen’s life from certain death.

_____ is the king of the land, he is an unfair and unjust King.  His goals constantly hurt the people he had sworn to protect many years ago.  He has gone as far as drilling up the land’s precious resources and selling them to large off-shore companies.  Recently, the King order his working crew to dig up the diamonds the land needs to survive and sell them to a specific large company.  This large company funds King ____'s evil empire and gives the King military resources in exchange.  All of the advisers of the King before him have either been killed off by his order, or went into hiding in fear of death.  For the ones that did agree with him only one remains as the rest have died of old age.  The King only person trusts is his most loyal servant and guardian, ______.

"A Queen too young for her years."
Story:
____ is the daughter of the former King and Queen, she had lost both of her parents in her late teen years.  They had both fallen ill to a serious disease no one had heard of before that cost them their lives.  She then had to bear the weight of becoming a Queen at such a young age.  ____ also had to pick a man to rule as King by her side.  No matter how many men of royalty tried to please her to gain her affection, she was never happy.  For the most part, ____ wanted to be left alone and even made an attempt of taking her own life.

The young woman was saved by a servant that had been hired not too long ago, she thanked him and was very grateful to him.  She had made sure that he was treated well by everyone in the palace.  She had fallen for him, ____ knew she had found her new king.  The one that she would want to rule be her side and she was sure he wanted to rule by his side as well.  And, so he was picked to be her King regardless of what her advisers said.  She was young, in love and foolish.  As the ages come and went and as everything stands now, she wants to believe she made the right choice.  However, she knew she should have listened to her advisers all those years ago.

"An Elvin prophet who failed to bring peace and robbed of her people's land and traditions."
Race: High Elf
Story:
Story:
____ belongs to the race of people who originally descended upon the land, the one’s that made the land what it is today.  She and many others are, High Elves. The land that the humans had pushed them off, not by means of war.  But, by means of disease that they carried that affected the High Elves greatly.  By the time the human had taken over most of the land, 90% of her people had perished to disease.  Her people were forced to live underground.  The only thing that they have left now that the High Elves hold sacred is a special tree.  The only tree in all of the land that grows underground due the magic the tree possessed.

One day, when approaching the tree by herself to pray as the High Elves commonly did.  The tree spoke to, ____.  It told her terrible things, terrible truths that would make anyone become emotionally crushed forever underneath the weight.  The tree told her to find the one known as, _____.  He was the only one that could put an end to this dark future, the only that could possibly rise up against the kingdom’s of the land.  In this moment she had came up with a plan to recover, ______ and bring him back to the tree to prove herself.  From this now on, she would refer to this tree as, The Tree of Wisdom.

Last edited by Anaconda_Vice on Thu May 15, 2014 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:07 am

Does that mysterious disease from the Queen's story end up being important to the plot/related to dying guy? If neither is true, is scrap the details on how her parents died.

Also, reword the Elf's entry, because a prophecy that predicts "if this isn't true, the world is gonna go to shit" is more funny than serious, and it's obviously meant to be serious. It's only mentioned like that in the first paragraph though so that's a quick fix.

The others seem fine though some details make me question the world ("offshore companies/countries" lends a connotation of modernization, for example). First character sounds a teensy bit too reminiscent of FFVII though, with the destroyed village leading to revenge. I'm sure actual details in the game would change that though.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Firstly, the Queen and the Elf don't have nearly as much thought put into them as the other three.  I wrote them up in an hour after a couple days of thought, that was because I had been putting them off for so long.  As opposed to the other three who have over half a year worth of thought put into them.  For instance, I never thought to have the disease connect the characters in a storyline.

^

Of course I can't give away fine details and I get the feeling too when I look at it.  However, I am doing my best to avoid ripping off Final Fantasy VII.

Thank you for your input.  YAY
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Anytime (so long as I have contributable input, of course).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu May 15, 2014 3:57 am

Story:
____ was once a part of a noble family of hunters who lived within a prosperous village.  She was trained to be a hunter using an array of ranged weaponry from traditional bows to newly acquired hunting rifles.  Her father, the leader of the village and the head huntsman, ____, he would make sure to bring her along to experience the hunt when he could.  Because, one day she was to take her father’s place being that she was her father’s only child.  ____ was excited for her destiny, she couldn't wait to be the first female leader.  Of course, the reality of the situation had never crossed her mind.  She was still young and had much to learn.

However, ____’s life would be taken from her when her village like many others was destroyed by the Royal King’s Army.  She luckily lived the horrific attack when her father forced ____ to flee, she was young, but her father knew she could live.  Her father knew that she would still have a chance at living.  Not long after, ____ was found passed out on the side of the road and was taken in by an old man and an old woman.  As she grew up she came to understand what it would mean for her to become the leader of her village.  Not only to be the leader of people, but it would also would have meant she would be without a father.  ____ was happy that she these two people found her.  She also continued to hone her skills in hunting and would provide food for her new family to eat when she was old enough to go out on her own.

Until one day, ____ would come home and neither of her adoptive parents would be home.  She knew something was wrong, there was no note informing her of their location.  As well as nothing was taken from the house, their clothing and belonging remained.  ____ wanted months for them to return, when they never did she gave into the reality that they were never coming back.  Then one day, she would catch wind of a rebellion taking on the Royal King’s Army.  ____ grabbed what she could carry on her back and burned to small house to the ground.  From here on out, the only thing she had was to move forward.  She no longer had a place to call home, or anyone to call family.  But, she had hoped one day to have a new life that she wouldn't have to leave in burning rubble.

Story:
_____ is the former leader of the High Elves who was removed from power due to his extremist views of starting war against the humans.  Bitter about being overthrown, he wanted revenge on the High Elves for making him an outcast.  However, he thought that just simply waging a war against the High Elves was too easy.  He decided that he was going to take High Elf prisoners and then sell them to any human willing to play for a slave.

____ is the most powerful of slave traders, and the creator of the slave trade.  He is the first stop for anyone looking to purchase a slave and he accepts payment in either cash, or production material of equal value.  ____ is a cruel person and only cares about himself and how many dollars he can make an hour.  Due to his high value in the slave market, he also works closely to the kingdoms and provides them with slaves as long as they pay up.

Story:

____ once was an outcast of the High Elf faction for his greed and hopped aboard the slave trade as soon as he could.  Of all of the slave traders in the land, he was the only that could rival, ____ in terms slave quality.  Until one day when he was making a trip to a slave auction, ___ was captured by ____’s henchmen.  ____ was imprisoned and he slaves were, taken as well as any assets he once had.  He himself was sold into slavery and his entire life had changed.  Once a slave trader, he was now a slave and would eventually join the fight for freedom.  He would join, _____’s rebellion against the King with his own goal to put an end to the slave trade.

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 am

None of these sound too bad, in terms of how the plot seems to be shaping up. The only issues lay grammatically, with comma splices and such sprinkled throughout.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top