Learning Japanese :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learning Japanese :)

Post by BigBox on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:54 pm

So far, I'm having fun with it.  I'm learning vowels right now, I plan on taking it slow and moving my way up to as words become less and less basic.  This is the how to... guild I'm using.  It's a good guide and well put together and the best part is it's free.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Learning Japanese :)

Post by Piratemankelly on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Learning vowels, eh? Like, the Hiragana for them?

I've taken 4 years of Japanese at my high school so far and I'm doing an independent study for Japanese 5 (because I finished all the offered courses), so I'm about halfway through the intermediate stage of Japanese study. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Or Google. Google's probably better at it; katakana and Hiragana charts are very prevalent. If you're a weeaboo like me and like Japanese games, if there's a scan of something for it and you recognize that there's katakana, spell it out and read it aloud, because chances are it's a word in Engrish. You could deduce some of the stuff it says based on that alone. If you need to know any words or anything, go to Jisho.org. 

Oh, and about te / ta forms (you'll get the them, don't worry about them for now), remember this jingle set to the tune of Oh Christmas Tree:

"Oh mi / ni / bi, oh mi / ni / bi, oh mi / ni / bi to ~nde.
Oh i / chi / ri, oh i / chi / ri, oh i / chi / ri to ~tte [the words are actually chisai, or small, tsu te, but yeah]
Ki to ite
Gi to ide
Now we know our ~te forms"

It works with ~ta. I hope I didn't confuse you about anything. I know that sounds childish, but trust me, it helps.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Thanks for the help and thanks for the te / te forms. It didn't confuse anything since I completely understand the vowels and their pronunciations. Thanks for the website link by the way, that will really help.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helvetica Standard on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Piratemankelly, anatawa doko de nihongo wo naraimashita ka?

NINJAEDIT: I just read again your whole post, move along... ^-^U

That tune trick reminds me of rapping the month's days to learn them =P . I have troubles with english words written in katakana because I'm not an native english speaker so I get a lot of troubles for that in games, even saying them aloud don't help. -__-

On topic:
Vice, I can also recommend, if you have an iOS device to get the free app "Imiwa?", it's a vary useful dictionary for those times when you can't access internet. I used it a lot with my ex-gf's iPod when we were studying Japanese. Japanese can sound complicated, but It's really easy on how the sentences are shaped, the tricky part is to get right the particles on a sentence like を (wo), で(de) and へ(he). And this is a little earlier to say, but when you want to talk, do it at your own pace, don't try to speak fast right out of the bat. :)

Last edited by Helvetica Standard on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad reading...)
Helvetica Standard
Staff
Staff

PSN : HelveticaStd

View user profile http://helvetica-standard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks for the help, I don't have a iOS device and I was able to read your Japanese sentence you posted. I just don't know what it means.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Helvetica Standard on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Thanks for the help, I don't have a iOS device and I was able to read your Japanese sentence you posted.  I just don't know what it means.
Well, practically it means "where do you learned japanese?" =P

Anyway, if you have questions, you can also ask me if you want, but I'm sure that my Japanese is not that advanced as Piratemankelly. =P
Helvetica Standard
Staff
Staff

PSN : HelveticaStd

View user profile http://helvetica-standard.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:04 am

Ah..

The only question I have now would be how do long vowels work exactly in Hiragana? The video I watched did a good job at explaining it and I kind of understand it, but I don't completely get it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 am

Long vowels? Like, obaasan and stuff like that?

Well, for a, i, u, and e you just write the basic hiragana for that syllable. So what I just wrote, obaasan, would be おばあさん. For o, however, you write an u. There are some exceptions, like おおき.

For the record, "obaasan" means "grandmother" and "ooki" means "large." Completely unrelated, just the first words that came to mind. I don't quite remember the reason, because I know Sensei explained it before, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because it's honorific, kind of.

Katakana, by comparison, is much simpler. It's just kind of a dash.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 am

Oh wait, my bad.  I got lessons confused.  I meant double consonants.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:10 pm

Stuff like ganbatte and all that?

You put a small ~tsu in front of the syllable. However, some words where the double is an "na / ni / nu / ne / no" will have an "n" instead of a small ~tsu. One such word is "onna," or "woman." 

That indicates that there's kind of a pause. Like, when pronounced, the above word is like "gahn baht tey." Like, there's a stutter almost when you reach the consonant.

It's kind of hard to explain, and perhaps you already know what I mean pronunciation wise so this is pointless, but it's like putting some emphasis onto the word. Like, instead of breaking the syllables into distinctly different sounds, you let the beginning of the sound roll out onto the next one before you break them.

Or, in the case of the "n"s, you just pronounce the "n" before the next syllable. But of course, fluent speech doesn't make that separation much of a point.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:29 am

Can you write it with the Hiragana?
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:24 pm

Ganbatte --> がんばって
Notice the small "つ." That indicates the "stutter" or double consonant. 

Onna --> おんな
Because "n" is represented by the character "ん," in this case it replaces the "っ."

Hope that helps. I reread my post and I could see how it might be hard to follow. I got tripped up reading it and I wrote it.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Thank you, that did help. :)
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile