Explain this to A foreigner: How the fuck did the US Government Shut Down?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Explain this to A foreigner: How the fuck did the US Government Shut Down?

Post by this_is_marko on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 pm

It's a shame that a majority of politicians are the way they are but that's just how it is.  Well that's enough politics for me today.  I'm going back to vidya games
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:30 pm

I never would've thought I'd see a political discussion on a forum made for generally things videogame / nerddom related. I wish I got here sooner.

Our first President whom I'm sure those of you who are not from the US still know of but I will name anyway George Washington said that nothing good can become of political parties. He was right, political parties are bullshit, yet, for all this to "work" as "well" as it does, they are also completely necessary.

All they do is cause people to side with their own party as opposed to what they believe, and so we end up with a bunch of hardheaded morons (specifically in this case the Repubes) fighting like toddlers and shutting down the government because "wahh I didn't get what I wanted."

Which doesn't really matter because the shut down doesn't impact most people, except a lot of "nonessential" people who work for the government and by extension, the people they work with and their own families. 

The kicker is the Congress which is by-and-large pretty useless is still getting paid to dick around.

'Murica
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Actually, that was Jefferson who specifically made that quote. But anyway, the unnecessary workers are back to work (but with IOUs instead of checks right now, not even kidding). In two days if the Senate doesn't pass the bill they say they're close to, we'll be at risk for default and possibly an economic crash the likes of wish would make FDR shit his pants.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 am

I was more paraphrasing with that, but you understood the point.

Yeah, we could default. Which sucks tremendously and has absolutely nothing to do with us, but you know we're the ones that are going to take the brunt of it.

Ah, to be in the hands of higher-ups who would rather have a pissing contest than look out for your well-being. "By the people, for the people" my ass.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 am

Wait you guys could crash. That would fuck over EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. the eu and us rely on each other so much it's not funny. That's why the potential Greek and by extension eurozone default was such a big deal. Similarly this potential crash would ruin all struggling economys like Spain Greece Italy....Ireland, and would make a bad situation worse
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:41 am

Oh trust me I know. There's nothing Obama can really do here though; if he uses the 14th Amendment or his Executive Powers to overrule Congress and enact an emergency budget, the Republicans will not only try to impeach him but also will NEVER touch political compromise again until at least 2016. He's said he won't use either for this reason but it's a scary thought to think what could happen if our debt falls through.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Good news: We're not defaulting (yet)!

Bad news: That doesn't mean shit because there's going to be another standoff in a few months! It was pretty much "we didn't get as much as we wanted but we got enough for now." It's basically like a 2 year old throwing a fit to get a pizza and they were given a slice to tide them over.

Also doesn't help the people that were furloughed, or the people who's businesses and livelihoods were hurt by the closing of our jolly old National Parks, which literally had no reason not to be open! 

European economists are saying we're idiots and we're all saying "we know, sorry, our leaders are children." Heck, even the most neutral news station, which I've literally never seen actually give opinion on the news besides simply reporting it, were edgy and pissed. On the bright side, stocks went up a bit, which of course someone is going to use to justify the Shutdown, without ever acknowledging the fact that we've been getting that amount of fluctuation for a good while now.

I'm glad we good ole' 'Muricans could teach yous folk 'bout what it really means to be a world superpower, and why we're number 1. 
...Kill me. Please.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Well I mean we ARE number 1. Europe just likes to hate our country as a whole. Which pisses me off sometimes because they're just as fucked if not worse oftentimes. Thankfully those pricks rarely use the internet so I only interact with the cool Europeans like lpool most of the time.

Fuck France though. Bunch of twats.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:04 pm

DP wrote:

My grandma was born in France and was forced to build bombs for the Nazi's in WWII.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm talking modern Frenchies. The ones who scoff at you if you don't have a French accent, accuse you of being an ass solely because of your accent, will shun you - again because of your accent - etc. They act as if they have a right to hate Americans when TWICE we assisted them without question during their time of need. Are some of us pretentious? Oh hell yeah. But at least more than half of us will be kind to a foreign traveler looking for a damn sub shop. We're assholes, but unlike almost every modern-day Frenchman, we can be kind.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
DP wrote:

My grandma was born in France and was forced to build bombs for the Nazi's in WWII.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 am

Actually I'd say China is the world's no.1 superpower, see what would happen if THEY defaulted (just shows what child labour can do. Too bad their communist Thus doomed to fail.) 

Don't lump everybody from a nation into one category. For example Americans can be the biggest most pretentious most idiotic people on the planet (points at bible bashers. You know the ones. Hell according to some statistics 50% of you guys rejected Darwinism and believe the world is flat and that the earth is center of the universe. So murdering those people would help.) But then there's you guys. Irish people are said to be drunk fighting Irish who's saving grace is church and I'm a non drinking never been in a fight once atheist. Lumping all of Europe together given how different oit is over one boarder (even Ireland and northern Ireland) is a horrible idea. Even politically we support you guys as much if not more than we support the eu. But you gotta admit this was dumb....and yes fuck France.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

Politically, most of Europe is fine. I meant this social stigma against the US was what really pissed me off about Europe. I've witnessed it first-hand, so I know how stupid we can be; hearing that everybody from our nation is retarded from somebody who's never gotten farther west than England is going to make me call him/her out.

Also economically China is on top but everywhere else it lags behind. A superpower needs to have the properties of a first world country to truly be one, and needs to have political power outside of its own sphere. China not only is a third world country in all BUT economy, it also had no impact on the planet outside of being allies to Iran, which really doesn't scare America out of war as much as nukes do. The US is really the only superpower right now, which is why there is no direct conflict of political interest between it and any one other nation, bar the pseudo-Cold War fight over Israel.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:52 am

Oh I agree. When I was in the US for two weeks I didn't think everyone is retarded, most people were really nice. (beinh Irish helps, put me in everyone's good books. But in the same breath if somebody who's never left their state claims they are Irish because if some long passed descendent I will kill them. Personal stigma.) I also agree that stereotypes suck ass. My sister was on omegal to two Americans who were convinced that internet was some new development here and we lived In wagons. Wagons. WHAT THE FUCK IS A WAGON. It works both ways. There are people who are judgemental of the US, then there are people who think the US is on some different plain to every other country.

Now look around your room dp. Everything there is connected to China at some point in it's life. Imagine imports from China stopped. Trading to say the EU and US, the two superpowers (the union is a superpower, no one single country. But given all the laws they have Been imposing, may as well be one country, damm Lisbon.). They would shut down. Defeated without lifting a finger. And we have no idea what the Chinese military is like cause communism. 

I'd also say the annual North Korea arguments count as confrontations.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:06 pm

That's true but most imports are from Capitalist companies, and if China suddenly stopped they'd just outsource back to Japan, the US, and Europe. That's better for most of the world in the long run, and most companies already have factories in these areas that could be enlarged in the ccase of a Chinese manufacturing stoppage. Militarily, they don't matter; even with the largest standing army, they still get shitslammed by a superior military technologically.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Yes but in short term, the shut down provides an opening for the Chinese. They could easily do...well anything whereas the rest if the world's tech is rationed. Of course then there's nukes but I believe nukes are banned from warfare for anti apocalypse/ humanitarian reasons. And we don't know how strong their tech is. They keep it quite.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Piratemankelly on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Believe it or not, a lot of China's economy that isn't born on child-labor is based on housing construction.

There's tons and tons of empty ghost cities that were built to pay builders, but are so upscale and expensive that nobody can afford to live in them. The malls are empty and dark, but full of banners non-existent stores and food chains. 

Funny (and by funny I mean in an ironic and totally not-funny way) thing about that is they're getting space and supplies for these by wrecking homes of poor village residents and forcing them to live elsewhere.

And besides that, considering China has the highest population, it's weird to think that most of it is packed and there's so much space for them to spread out, in fact even in legit entire cities.
Piratemankelly
Chimera
Chimera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top