Starting a Youtube channel. (Tips, Ideas, Suggestions, etc.)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting a Youtube channel. (Tips, Ideas, Suggestions, etc.)

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 am

So I know a few of you forum members have a youtube channel or have taken part in creating videos for youtube. Here is my situation I am in.. I have gotten to the point where if I am not playing a video game with or beside someone, I don't get the same enjoyment out of them as I used to.

Example
I recently bought GTA V with the only expectation out of it being that I would play online with some friends. Day 1 of me playing it, I had brought it over to a friends house so he could test it out as well in hopes of getting him to buy it. Well we played for 6 hours (swapping in and out) and it was a blast. I know I would not have enjoyed the game as much as I did with my friend than if I was at home playing it alone. Everyone get my scenario alright? Okay, lets continue

I have been thinking about it and, well, I think a way to take that boredom away would be to share it with other people over the internet. Much like the pastadium has done, It would sort of create a little community that I can actually interact with about a certain game and create more enjoyment out of it rather than playing a game simply for my eyes only. I love video games, don't get me wrong, it's just I need to have interaction with people at the same time and friends aren't always there (especially now with school, work, moving away, etc).

In case it isn't clear yet, I am hoping to start up a Youtube channel for 99% gaming, 1% random. I have never done anything like this. Having watched people do gaming videos, I have some ideas on how to get started but I am in no way, ready to start up tomorrow. Any tips on how to start? How to record? whatever.

Any feed back is appreciated!
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

PSN : god-of-paradise

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting a Youtube channel. (Tips, Ideas, Suggestions, etc.)

Post by DP on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 am

First, while ideally you'll have a community that you respect and respects you, it's not always gonna turn out that way since it's the internet. Don't expect a majority to vocally support you; Nixon's principle of the loud minority and silent majority holds true here.

Next, equipment. Find a good Mic online; MD found one for ~$80. A capcard is expensive if you want it done right. Hauppauge is almost unanimously the best, but it can run you as much as $200. You'll also need a good editor; Vegas or Adobe Premiere (I think Premiere was the Adobe editor, might be a different name though) will do greatly for syncing videos to your audio (Hauppauge lines up the game audio to the video for you). Vegas would run you $600, Premiere maybe $150. I recommend searching for the best, cheapest option since I am not allowed to advocate illegality per the rules.

Lastly, you'll have to get used to it. I think/talk really fast, and to be interesting you have to slow down. Shit like that, plus knowing what to talk about and keeping focus on YOU playing the game (as opposed to the game with your commentary), all come with practice.

Starting up a LP isn't cheap. And I haven't even discussed the time it can take to edit a video and how much you should learn about it.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:21 am

If you can get all of those, the key is to be interesting.

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:29 am

I've got myself a Yeti Mic, Final Cut Pro, and an Elgato Game Capture Device. 

The Yeti mic is one of the best mics to have for commentating on games and such as it has a clear, rich sound.

For editing, I have a Mac and therefore use Final Cut Pro and Final Cut X to edit videos and such. Very easy and simple to learn and use. 

For recording, I chose to buy the Elgato. I did in fact buy the Hauppauge, but after hooking it up to my PS3 I found that it's a huge pain in the ass to set everything up for recording (Had to mess with lighting, resolution by game, the cord is stupid, desaturates PS3 games, etc.). I ended up taking it back and ordered the Elgato, which is cheaper than most and works perfectly on any system without the stupid bullshit. 

After that, just know that you may only have a few views for a while. These things take time (And money) and sooner or later more and more people will find you. You could try to spread the word somehow, but don't go around on Youtube to beg for people to watch your videos.

EDIT: Some other tips. Make sure you have a regular schedule for uploading videos. For instance, I try to upload more than 3 a week, mostly because I sometimes forget to upload everyday like I want to.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

Hauppauge is irritating for PS3 unless you have component cables, I agree. For more than one console, trust me on Hauppauge though. Perfect quality and everything from 360 to N64. And if you have those component, PS3 too. An

And amen about scheduling. MD is terribly inconsistent and I cant be with my lack of internet, so thankfully Jake learned editing from me quickly. Even then we forget daily uploads sometimes. I think Google is updating the scheduler to help with that.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Well damn O.O it seems very expensive to run a good gaming channel lol Thanks for all of the tips guys. Hopefully i'll be able to throw some money together soon to be able to get started.

One more thing. What do you guys think is the most entertaining form of video gaming videos? Whether it be montages of various but similar clips in a game, straight up playthroughs of a certain game? Short one shots of the more shorter games? What do you think
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 pm

I would personally recommend doing something different which would mean less classic Nintendo/Sega games because everyone does it. But, that's what I'm going to do.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 pm

Also avoid doing only newer games. Balance is key between the very new, very old, and in between.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm

That too. My target would be PSOne/N64 games, but more PSOne. That's just me though.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Yeah, the middle years tend to be good, think Saturn through PS2. Especially Dreamcast because original DC games are tough to come by nowadays. But you can't go wrong with balance.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:05 am

I was just about to say that.  Avoid doing NES games or games around that time because EVERYONE seems to do it.  Yet at the same time, don't do all new stuff either.  the ps1/n64/dreamcast to ps2/gamecube/xbox years seem to get the least amount of love
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 am

Sadly, my mic and recording hardware tools were stolen with my PS3.  I also could never find a good start for my channel either, I never had the software to do it either :(
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:40 am

not that I want to ignore any other suggestions or anything but I have checked out your channel pyro and what you have for your set up seems pretty nice! 
At least for the beginning phase of youtube, it seems like the cheapest but still good quality set up to go with. As (IF) the youtube channel grows, I would definitely be upgrading to the bigger, better editing programs, capture cards, etc so I still thank you for giving me all of the information because I will surely use it in the future. 

Here is to hoping that the ps4 doesn't need a different capture card Suspicious Daxter 

I see a lot of let's players use headsets to record their audio. Would that be any different than using a mic? (I would prefer a headset). 

Right now, I do only have a ps3 but with all of the HD remakes that are being made and the ps1 classics, do you think those would at least help diversify my channel? I wasn't planning on just new games (although gta and batman are going to make appearances).

I started a thread a little while ago where I said what games would you put in a "best gamer of them all" tournament and so I might end up gathering a ton of random games and actually having a tournament with my friends for one of the videos.

EDIT: One of the inspirations for wanting to create a channel was while playing gta 2-3 days ago... I car jacked a guy, pulled him out of the car and as he was starting to stand back up (I threw him onto the road where cars were going the opposite direction), a car just plows right into him without even stopping.. it was brutal yet disturbingly hilarious XD it reminded me of something out of final destination
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 am

Headsets work really well if the right one is chosen. MD used one on his personal channel years back and for our first unaired session DIDIOG session (which we scrapped due to the cheap capcard MD got being shit).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Turtle Beach is commonly used because it allows the recording device to also record chat from people online. That would be the only reason that I would get a headset though: Online
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I don't like Turtle Beach at all, I would rather spend money on a quality Razor headset since it's my preferred and best brand for PC accessories.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I don't like Turtle Beach at all, I would rather spend money on a quality Razor headset since it's my preferred and best brand for PC accessories.
I swear, sometimes you and Noc are just the same person lol.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm just saying, look at it like this.  Turtle Beach headsets have a tendency to break... a lot.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Triton. Ok? Buy Triton. I don't trust Razor at all. 

I don't care if it breaks or not, IT WORKS.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm pretty sure you would care after you go through three of them though. :/
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Never bought Turtle Beaches. My brother does though. He's only gone through 2 pairs of them in the past couple of years. Yall need to take care of your shit.
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I don't find that type of headset necessary so I've never bought any lol
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:09 am

^ Exactly. I'm just using a Blue Yeti mic for recording and just have a cheap Pulse headset for playing...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by god-of-paradise on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:26 pm

alright well.. I'll get the yeti mic then Suspicious Daxter I don't really want to be a gamer who always wears those headsets anyways.

One last question before I order some stuff tonight. If the editing program I want fits every requirement for my comp except mine has 2 gigs and needs 4. Will it not work? Just wondering because I am in no way a computer fiend and so I don't know what you can and can't get away with
god-of-paradise
Thunder Flop
Thunder Flop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:12 pm

You'll probably get some slowdown while editing and rendering, but after exporting and such, videos should look fine. 

I would suggest upgrading your RAM though if you need more... Too much slowdown can really fuck with your editing and timing of clips and stuff...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top