Worst Company Mistakes/Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Worst Company Mistakes/Ideas

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:09 am

Post what you think are the worst mistakes a company has ever done. And try to diverge from ganging up on Capcom, so we can see some variety.

I'll start. Marvel sold the Transformers franchise in early 2002. That is by far the worst mistake they've eve-Well, barring Barakapool-ever done. Seriously. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard regarding comic books.

Last edited by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Worst Company Mistakes/Ideas

Post by DP on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:17 am

Fuse. Even as OverStrike, it doesn't look like it would've sold even 15,000 copies. As it stands, I think Fuse was at 10K.

And for a twofor, Atari for letting Activision happen.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 am

...Jak II. Oh, c'mon on, you knew this was coming.

Also, Shadow the Hedgehog. At least I can consider that with Sonic 2006, SEGA might've had some potential with making it a decent game during the creation process, but Shadow... just why?

And you can't forget about Midichlorians. Just for that, I'm going to edit in "/Ideas" into the thread title.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:22 am

DP wrote:Fuse. Even as OverStrike, it doesn't look like it would've sold even 15,000 copies. As it stands, I think Fuse was at 10K.

And for a twofor, Atari for letting Activision happen.
For third party devs, this was considered one of the best decisions of all time.  Because, it allowed the third party market to exist and thrive.  Also, during this time Atari wasn't Atari.  All of the founding members and best developers had already left Atari and created, Activision.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:27 am

NaughtyDog selling Crash Bandicoot.

Insomniac selling Spyro.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:30 am

They didn't sell those IPs, actually. They made a deal with Universal due to needing a big publisher to give their games an actual chance on the market. However, due to various tensions, they left for Sony but couldn't get back the rights for those characters.

So yeah, it was a pretty ass mistake.Just wanted to correct you on how you said that they sold them, though. XD
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:31 am

Fabsta1994 wrote:NaughtyDog selling Crash Bandicoot.

Insomniac selling Spyro.
Naughty Dog never owned Crash Bandicoot, Universal did.

Insomniac never owned Spyro The Dragon, Universal did.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:32 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:
Fabsta1994 wrote:NaughtyDog selling Crash Bandicoot.

Insomniac selling Spyro.
Naughty Dog never owned Crash Bandicoot, Universal did.

Insomniac never owned Spyro The Dragon, Universal did.
Count beat you to the punch. Either that or you're already aware and are just being spiteful. :p
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:33 am

I was making my post when he made his.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 am

No selling involved actually count. Contracts ran out. No renewal. Rights circulation through from universal to viviandi and now Activision. That's it. ND/Insmnic had nothing to do with it. only sonyish and universal. mainly universal who wanted ass prices for a contract. (plus whatever about crash to jak, ratchet is far better than spyro.)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:38 am

From what I recall, it was a Steve Jobs situation where the people who left were mostly worthless and just good at marketing. And I was talking long-term because Activision is now one of the reasons we are in this sequelverse we call the 7th/8th Gens.

As for IG/ND, it wasn't really a choice of them going to Sony either really. The co-publishing deal ended and those two were going to be kicked out of their Universal Studios office, so they took the funding to move from Sony (and continued making games they had already started). There was no option to join Universal and keep making games that could only work well on the inferior PS1 tech.

'Nother one: iOS 7. A LOT of Apple users want to jump ship, and Apple straight up made a UI that makes people more accustomed to the Android interfaces. Literally the only thing left is iTunes not allowing you to easily use your shit on non-iDevices.

And SteamMachine.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:44 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I was making my post when he made his.
Just pulling your leg buddy.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 am

Ah... Well, I only got this info from the G4 interviews with ND and IG, and I don't remember them mentioning that their contracts ran out. Silly me. XD

Also, I'll tell you what pisses me off. Square Enix deciding to put all of the portable Kingdom Hearts titles on different platforms for literally no reason. They keep using the same bullshit that each console has something unique to offer, but it's really just so they can earn the first-parties more money. Oh, and don't even get me started on KH3 heading to the PS4 and Xboned, but not the Wii U.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadowbhiemes on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:24 am

Count Mario wrote:Also, Shadow the Hedgehog. At least I can consider that with Sonic 2006, SEGA might've had some potential with making it a decent game during the creation process, but Shadow... just why?
I wouldn't consider Shadow a huge mistake. It's highly underrated and I think people expected it to be something it wasn't. Truly, it isn't a perfect game- sometimes confusing level design, alignments that didn't really matter (like both sides attacking you anyway), and hilarious and unnecessary violence. But I still think it's a fun game and the idea of branching levels depending on your alignment choices was interesting and created a lot of replay ability. And thought not perfect, weapons were still fun. I will agree pretty much 99% of vehicles were useless. Still, I felt badass being a black guy driving a car shooting aliens.

Anyway, I can't think of a lot of mistakes, surprisingly. But Nintendo for selling Rare. What possessed them to do this? The studio responsible for creating lovable games and IPs, and wasted away by Microsoft.
Shadowbhiemes
Mmm Cake
Mmm Cake

PSN : Shadowbhiemes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:42 am

RARE was pretty much degrading after working on Banjo-Tooie. Their last project with Nintendo got us... Star Fox Adventures. At that point, all of the decent developers already left RARE, so I'm glad that they got sold off. However, the bad part is that still own the rights to characters such as Banjo, which infuriates me.

Look, I'm not gonna lie. It was a mediocre/decent game at best. I even had a bit of fun with it. But it just wasn't Sonic. At all. Now, given that it's about Shadow, you expect some differences, but not... that. Seriously, who the hell thought that adding arbitrary guns, swearing, monotonous dark themes, useless vehicles, piss easy bosses, and repetitive rock music (don't get me wrong, the game has good and even great tracks, but there's only so much rock I can take) made ANY remote sense? And the story... Oh God, do not get me started on the story.

Now, in retrospect, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a bit of fun (whether it was me actually enjoying the game or sadistically enjoying how much SEGA fucked up, I will never know). The guns were decent, but I can't really say much more. The game arguably had some of the most enjoyable level themes out of most of the 3D Sonic games. Not to mention that Chaos Blast was, well, a blast to use. (they should've found a way to work in Chaos Spear outside of the final boss, though). Chaos Control on the other hand, it was cool to be able to skip some parts of the levels and such, but that's pretty much all it does. If anything, it tends to hinder you more by moving you past your objectives and it just detracts from exploring the levels more. The ability was pretty much a double-edged sword and could've been used a lot better.

But yeah. I loved the violence. XD Still, it was pretty much a poor man's Jak II, which in itself is a deformed Ratchet & Clank. The game's a bit enjoyable, but that's really as much honest credit as I can give it. It's still mediocre at best and I still don't consider it to be a main Sonic title.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:55 am

The worst decision for Nintendo but the best decision for us?

When nintendo decided to break off their partnership with sony after already getting sony to invest a boatload of cash into making a cd-based gaming console haha
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 am

^ This man just won the thread.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:10 am

The single-handed fall of Nintendo directly caused by themselves. Don't you love irony in the morning?

But you can't ignore WHO Nintendo skipped out on Sony for. That makes the decision even worse. Possibly THE worst out there that's game-related.

Also, another one: E3 2013 Microsoft. And one of the better decisions: E3 2013 Sony. I still smile every time I hear Jack atomize the Bone
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabsta1994 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:05 pm

A bad decision I'd call would be David Jaffe's from Twisted Metal right at it's crucial point to go and make iOS games. The game was then handed over to SSM to die. 

To quote Sweettooth from BLACK: "What a waste."
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top