Uncharted Discussion

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Uncharted Discussion

Post by BigBox on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:57 am

In my opinion Uncharted 3 was better, I thought the narrative was better and the addition of being able to throw grenades back was nice.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 am

From the bit I played of 3 (I bought 2 last because gamestop.com didn't have it available, and I really wanted to play after I beat 1, so I started 3 early), I absolutely loved the storytelling style. Young Drake was excellent to me. If that continues I can see 3 being superior, but I also loved 2's truck-hopping sequence more than almost anything I've done in a game before. That'll be tough to top.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 am

The narrative blew my mind, before Uncharted 3 I shit you not that I have never played a single game in the series.  Let alone a Naughty Dog game, I may forget just how good the Narrative for U3 is though because it's been so long.  But, I do remember enough to say that you'll love it.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Phew. Just got through 2. 

God damn, if a game ever deserved GotY, it's that. 3's gameplay I already know is superior, but we'll have to see now whether its setpieces and story can top that. HOPEfully there won't be too much supernatural though; the monsters from 1 and 2 both seemed a tad much. Also hopefully 3 has a better final boss. Lazarevich wasn't really a fitting boss to end the game.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 pm

Spoiler:
While the game play 3 is superior, and the set pieces almost mimic that of U2.  The final boss is a fist fight with Talbot, and there isn't really any bosses in this game.  Just fist fights with enemies that are clearly tougher than you that appear to be bosses.  This game took a more narrative approach as opposed to the traditional boss fights, but that hasn't stopped the game from being challenging in it's own right.  Also, there is no supernatural monsters in this game.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Spoiler:

Except for during Drakes SECOND drug trip. yep remember theres two. You know the one where Sully *dies*.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Spoiler:
Yeah, but I think he meant supernatural as in something that isn't through the means of drug trips.  Because, in First and Second the supernatural monsters in the game existed in the realm of reality without the means of a drug trip to see them.  A drug trip in reality is more explainable than an undead Nazi monster, or an undead temple guardians.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:18 am

So I'm in the desert storm in chapter 20 right now. I'll surely beat it tomorrow. I think then I'll NG+ TLoU on Survival, and then maybe go back to U2 and 3 and wrap up some trophies I can easily get. 

Side note: I hate that ND makes you play a game through to unlock the hardest difficulty. I know other companies do that sometimes too, but it bugs me that the "real" way to play TLoU isn't unlocked until you beat it once. At least in Infinite you could Konami Code your way into 1999 mode lol. 

This mostly goes for Crushing in Uncharted, though. No chance in HELL I'm playing these games on a difficulty above Hard AFTER playing Hard. They throw bullet sponges at you way too often, and in 3 especially they like to screw you with respawn placement. I enjoy 2 and 3 about equally, but I can already tell that Talbot' s supernatural stuff won't be resolved fully, and they've definitely botched the second half of the game from a gameplay perspective (too much combat after nailing the first half with a perfect balance). That said, the narrative DOES beat out 2. Elena and Drake are much more dynamic here, and whatever happened between 2 and 3 has me genuinely interested. Plus, Sully. So it's a toss-up, really. All three games tend to fall apart at the end (that's actually a trend for ND in general).

But yeah, Hard isn't even hard 90% of the time as much as irritating, so I couldn't even force myself to plat these games if I wanted to. Maybe if I went back and replayed a year later, I might try it (at least in 2-3, 1 might be too dated for me to want to do so).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 am

Okay so I finished Uncharted 3.

God damn, it's so close. I don't know whether I like 2 or 3 more, because they're both close to perfect. Well, except for the weak ending sequences (gameplay ones, not story ones).
Spoiler:
Both the ancient beasts in 2 and the super-combat heavy latter sections of 3 are the main weaknesses. The finale of 3 worked better than 2 overall though. The second drug trip was a bit too easy a route to take, but it was necessary since it was from the water, not a dart like I assumed at first.

I 100% regret not picking up this series years ago, and I even more so regret not finishing them as quickly when I DID pick them up. Everything it did felt original, and the things that WERE sampled from other works put enough of a spin on them that they were fresh. THAT is how you do a game, Naughty Dog. Don't just sample post-apocalyptia and throw in some LGBT characters for the sake of it. 

So now I've played every Naughty Dog game that matters at least once. Meaning everything after Crash ended (ZING!). Now, everything you heard from me previously about TLoU is null. I'm going to try to go in blank slate for Survivor + Mode. If the problems resurface, I KNOW they're problems then. This is how the game was meant to be played allegedly, after all. Hopefully it'll be something more than a pretty decent survival horror game with way too frequent item pickups when played above Hard. I'll also be playing with surround sound headphones to get the purest experience. 

If I weren't already getting a PS4 for Ratchet, there's a good chance I'd get one for U4 now (assuming the previews don't turn me off and help prove the coup).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:35 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/06/psx-2014-troy-baker-voicing-nathan-drakes-brother-in-uncharted-4

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah.. woha.. woah... woah... you mean to tell me that Nolan North and Troy Baker are in the same game?

BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:46 pm

and they are related

wow.....
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:49 pm

I have no money left for Sony to take, they can have whatever I can find.  I just NEED it. x.x
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Not a fan of ND self-sucking. We get it, you made Nolan North and Troy Baker's most famous characters. It was good in TLoU because Nolan North's character was different and great. But making Troy Baker RELATED to Nolan North for no reason...when Drake is pretty much an orphan in previous games, doesn't make sense to me. You know they'll have random banter as if they were always best friends, too.

That said, I have to watch the gameplay yet. This isn't indicative of my opinion of the game.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Being an orphan doesn't mean he didn't have a family, it means he had a family and then lost it.  It's a long lost brother story most likely.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:33 pm

I know what it means to be an orphan; I'm saying that suddenly throwing in a second character in the Drake family isn't going to work well. Drake exists as a loner; it's only in 3 that he REALLY accepts having this new family of his. It's the fourth game, and likely the final one. We know the brother will probably die, leaving Drake alone with Elena as the only person left he cares for (Sully will probably die too). Plus, it being Troy Baker makes it ripe for the possibility of witty banter, which will not realistically work when the new character JUST met his brother, which we WOULD have heard about in 3 when we're read Drake's profile by Marlowe. It just feels cheap.

Edit: Or New Drake will end up lying and was never actually related to Nate, and ends up being the villain.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:24 pm

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/92558//

And just like that, Sony lost their holiday system seller. Uncharted is now a 2016 game.

The only thing left is for them to MEGA push Ratchet & Clank, because that's literally all they have left. If they can't counter Halo with Ratchet, it WILL hurt them.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

The PS4 is more than likely going to sell either way, they haven't had much trouble pushing it yet and breaking records without system sellers so far.  But, yeah.  I see a major push for R&C this holiday season and a heavy emphasis on indie games and pre-existing games.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 pm

It'll pick up sales in Japan because persona and Disgaea, but Europe and the US need some sort of seller to help keep it above the XBO in the US and UK.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:09 am

I still think they won't have much of a problem outselling XBO even if they do decide to rush Halo 5 out the door to take advantage of this.  Microsoft would be on their best not to rush their golden egg they hope will give them an edge.  If Uncharted 4's development has been this complicated, I imagine Halo 5's has been as well.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:50 am

Halo 5 by all indications has been in development longer. I'm sure it's not without problems (see the MCC), but that won't stop them again. The Halo user base is consistent no matter how poor the game is (3, Reach, and 4 all had literally identical launch weeks).

And again, in the US the XBO is already on pace to win per usual. Uncharted likely wouldn't have stopped the Xbox train from running through the US this year anyway, since a Halo US launch has always beaten every Uncharted worldwide launch, but the point is that Europe and the US are at risk of losing decent traction this year with two decent or better exclusives lined up compared to Microsoft's golden child. The XBO has caught up fairly well already, and if Sony wants to hang on to any US lead until 2016, they've gotta give Ratchet a super-push and hope the kid crowd latches on immediately.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:10 am

Well, considering that Sony has sold 20 million PS4 units already.  I'll hold confident in what I said, sure it might win in the U.S during the holiday season.  However, I see no indications to the XBO being on pace to beating the PS4 in the U.S in total sales.  I'm not saying Halo won't sell units, I'm saying XBO won't beat PS4.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:15 pm

Except, y'know, the XBO won the US every month since November. And it's 7.6 (might be 7.Cool million PS4s to . 2 million XBOs in the US. If not for the two exclusives launching this month and in February, the XBO would've outpaced the PS4 in the US before either Uncharted or Halo even hit.

It's just how things are, the Xbox wins the US, Sony gets everywhere else. Don't take it personally if our country chooses the inferior* console.

*Kudos to MS for pulling a comeback, they've earned it mostly. Sony hasn't done much to earn their worldwide domination, sadly.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:09 pm

I know what's been going on and I know that XBO has been winning month by month with the steady launch leading up to Halo 5.  However, I don't think it will be enough to give them that lead as they have a lot of ground to cover.  And, we'll be seeing a big year from Sony in 2016 with games like Uncharted and almost nothing to compete with as it stands in terms of exclusives.  If Microsoft doesn't take advantage of this Sony down time and take the lead now, they probably never will.  Especially once Sony starts pushing out their heavy hitters 3 times a year.  I'm not taking anything personal, this is just my personal opinion of what I think is going to happen.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 pm

With Sony's current output, I'd be shocked if they even tie in the US. They're leaning towards Japanese and European releases like Dragon Quest Heroes because the US already leans MS; they know from experience America's a wash, anything above 15 mil is excellent for them.

With Halo, Tomb Raider, and Forza going up against Ratchet, Sony won't hold first in the US past this year. Gran Turismo is a European-focused game, and that won't even be out until next year, so until 2016 the XBO has the racing market locked down.

Everything is a shocking turnaround from last gen; Sony's output is just dismal, and Microsoft is powering up. I really hope E3 fixes everything for them because Phil Spencer is really hungry right now.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top