Capcom is nearly broke

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Capcom is nearly broke

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:24 am

Again, just because you endear to the RE franchise doesnt mean Sony will go and buy it foe [insert flimsily justifiable reasoning]. Sony was the highest selling platform because it was THE highest selling console for two gens. It's likely that some other unaffiliated company would get it due to Sony not wanting to pay out the ass to beat Microsoft for a mediocre-selling franchise (as of late). And they sort of have a survival horror franchise that is much more acclaimed right now.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:33 am

It doesn't make it any less of an great investment on, Sony's part.  Sony knows how popular the franchise is on PlayStation hardware so picking this up would be a great investment.  Also, it sales are medicore these days is because Capcom hasn't been delivering.  Sony clearly has teams that know how to make a Survival Horror out of Resident Evil.  Which is why I suggested the Japan Studio, the team that makes Siren.  Sony has two critically acclaimed Survival Horror franchises, adding Resident Evil to that list and making it three would be icing on the cake.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:52 am

Still we work in hypothetical logic. IF Sony bought it, they'd be down millions even before starting a team on RE7, due to Microsoft lobbying against it. It's entirely likely they won't bid because it is just not profitable in the short term, and it's only a possibility that it becomes such in the long term. Realistically, it would probably sell 3 million or less, at a $40ish million budget (probably double that on PS). Is that worth the $100+ million investment we'd be seeing from purchase to release? Especially since there is no guaranteeing anything in this industry. Working in hypothetical ideals has lost Sony money and the biggest lead in console history before. Hell, all three companies have had this problem recently. Sony with getting cocky pre-PS3 and thinking they'd still win no matter what; Microsoft thinking their fanbase would just take the DRM; and Nintendo thinking they'd be fine jumping blind into HD. Prospect purchases don't happen by console devs, because there's a lot more to lose than if some small company buys it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:11 am

i agree with dp if capcom dies there is no "given" sure i really hope comcept or nintendo get megaman and platinum gets kamiyas creations (DMC, viewtiful joe, Okami) but we really cant say for sure
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Hypothetical or not, I don't think you're seeing the big picture though. There is much more profit to be made in the long-term. In this situation, the long-term should be what drives the purchase. They would make far less money in the short.

@Dragon: DMC going to Sony being a given is a bit more realistic as, Dante appeared in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royal. I'm sure Sony cares about the character to go out and get for him PSAS that they would buy him if Capcom went under. It wasn't exactly the Dante everyone wanted, but that was Capcom's choice. I don't see Platinum games getting Devil May Cry.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:22 pm

No, they let Dante in because that's all Capcom would give them. That doesn't mean they want to make another game in a rapidly dying series. And yes, I know DmC did better than the fourth and I believe third games, but that doesnt mean it hit its goal and profited. Hell, it only barely broke even BECAUSE it's multiplatform.

And I seriously don't think you understand the politics and business behind gaming if you think Sony is even remotely likely to buy RE OR DMC. Console devs don't buy exclusive IP anymore in this era of multiplat-only gaming. They barely did in the first place. Nintendo won't buy Megaman, Sony wont buy RE, Microsoft won't buy DR. I would put money on this, I'm that sure. And im not a betting man. Master fucking Chief is more likely for Axis than any of those scenarios happening.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:33 pm

DP wrote:No, they let Dante in because that's all Capcom would give them. That doesn't mean they want to make another game in a rapidly dying series. And yes, I know DmC did better than the fourth and I believe third games, but that doesnt mean it hit its goal and profited. Hell, it only barely broke even BECAUSE it's multiplatform.

And I seriously don't think you understand the politics and business behind gaming if you think Sony is even remotely likely to buy RE OR DMC. Console devs don't buy exclusive IP anymore in this era of multiplat-only gaming. They barely did in the first place. Nintendo won't buy Megaman, Sony wont buy RE, Microsoft won't buy DR. I would put money on this, I'm that sure. And im not a betting man. Master fucking Chief is more likely for Axis than any of those scenarios happening.
sorry i must interject DmC was the worst selling devil may cry game doing even worse than the third one (suprisingly the third one sold the second least)
and i kindof think megaman might be a special case considering its legacy but i could be wrong
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 pm

as far as i can tell dragons is right sales wise but that just proves dps point more. you can say anaconda that it makes sense in the future blah blah but lets face it. most of capcoms franchises are dying slow deaths (RE) Dead (Megam..i need a moment) as good as dead (DmC/DMC yup both) or cut down in their prime before given a chance to shine (Pretty much everything else) Dead Rising and Street Fighter are the exceptions. plus Deep Down may strike gold but thats besides the point. If i was a businessman i would not splurge on most of thier franchises as a high up company rather court the studio stupid enough to buy em. as dragon pointed out Megaman may be the exception (Nintendo) or street fighter (Sony as an answer to KI) plus i can see platinum splurging on the weirder stuff, sega as well after the THQ incidents. thats it. the rest goes somewhere unknown like Darksiders going to Nordic (I think) in a bargin bin sale despite being THQs most successful game in a long time (Still love that game)
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Oh, I thought it had performed well compared to one of the previous games. Nevermind lol, but as Lpool said that makes my point even more.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 pm

i dont think it broke 1mill units over both systems. windows is not included though and i know it got a bit of joy there.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:00 pm

i know i never said i thought that they were going to happen i just said that it would be cool if they did go to companies who would use them well but yeah its capcoms fault anyway for killing off all their franchises :(

and yeah lpools right it didnt even break 1 mill in the end even capcom admitted that the game was a really stupid idea
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 pm

i'd say ninja theory swears by it though. the gameplay was pretty solid, the visuals were fine its just what surrounded that, that sucked more monkey balls than a whored out baboon.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 pm

DP wrote:No, they let Dante in because that's all Capcom would give them. That doesn't mean they want to make another game in a rapidly dying series. And yes, I know DmC did better than the fourth and I believe third games, but that doesnt mean it hit its goal and profited. Hell, it only barely broke even BECAUSE it's multiplatform.

You're still missing the fact that those sales went down hill because Capcom is releasing games people don't want.  The franchises itself isn't close to dying, they just need to release what people want to pick those sales back up.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 pm

*Is releasing Games people don't want
*Said franchise is not dead. 

we all know why DmC flopped. to Capcom however it screams that the franchise is now irrelevant as a whole. its these things that kill franchises. look what Isaac and Zeus did to All Stars, they killed that off single handedly. we know its cause people don't want em to big companies it screams a far bigger message. 

so yeah DmC killed DMC probably forever you can be certain of that.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 pm

DmC flopped because it wasn't what people wanted, Resident Evil 6 flopped because it wasn't what people wanted. But, yet people still cry out and demand a Devil May Cry game that they want and demand a Resident Evil that they want. Neither of the franchises are dead, as the demand for those two franchises are still there and as long as the people get what they want. Those franchises will sale like hot cakes.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:42 pm

unfortunetly anaconda publishers arent that smart they seem to think that they can whore out a great franchise and people will just eat it up and if people dont then the franchise is dead as far as the pub is concerned
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 pm

and the demand for all stars wasn't there? hell it was probably higher. (Maybe not for RE but definitely dmc.) Doesn't matter. the way companies see it people did not put their money where their mouth is. its one thing to demand something its another to then purchase a product once available. and in capcoms eyes this didnt happen for DmC. and given the fact it was a rather niche franchise to begin with? whats the point of continuing? RE not so much but thats because its much more mainstream, despite being horror just cause of its classic reputation.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:50 pm

One thing is that fans will never be satisfied after a certain point. Uncharted 3 was awful, Resistance 3 was awful, Madden 13 was awful, etc., when each of those were the best games in the series.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I don't think the demand for All-Stars matters because of the flak that it gets. Also, there wasn't much of a demand for All-Stars, a cult following of 1,000 people comes nowhere to comparing to RE's and DMC's millions of followers. That was a pretty bad comparison to make.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:57 pm

millions? most of the dmc games struggled to break a million. allstars was pretty successful and the online campaign was aggressive. makes all the difference and it was about 1500 different accounts with alot of forum activity as well. . like i said not so much RE but Capcom has made one good RE game, Revelations, in how many attempts now since four? 

DMC is 100% dead there is no if but or maybe about that cause capcom just don't care. if the let Megaman die when it was making decent sales on a relatively low budget, how is hig budget no profit DMC going to survive? its not. i'd wager the only reason RE is still kicking is cause of the movies still racking in the dough which is an offence that in my country is punishable by death.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

You'll never find the number of followers based on the games sales. Especially if it was an entry in the series protested by millions of fans. You comparison of All-Stars to RE/DMC will fall through every time because the numbers are so different. The demand for a good RE and a good DMC is bigger than the demand for Dart and Abe as DLC in All-Stars by tenfold. It's like playing a pair of two Kings and then finding out you lost to a Royal Flush.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry for the double post, but here's a thought. Just a thought. Given the financial troubles that Capcom is in and they most likely realize Monster Hunter can save them. How many of you think that they might rethink the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita release? While they'll survive a little longer by staying exclusive, but for the first time in almost a decade. Capcom has to make a smart business decision, and a couple more to keep floating. Taking this game multiplatform may buy Capcom an extra two or three years. Which would be more than long enough to see what they want to do with, Resident Evil now since they're promising that it's going to be Survival Horror again. At this point, they really have no other option and they can't ride off of Resident Evil hype because no one trusts them to make a good Resident Evil anymore. Regardless of what they say. This is just a simple thought though, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that they need to make as much money as they can off of Monster Hunter 4.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I had a similar thought as soon as I heard this news. I think it'd stay exclusive only for as long as it takes to port and upscale it to the PS4's standards. At the same time, they have easily RE7's budget in their bank, since Capcom has never been a heavy marketer/advertiser. Not to mention SFIVU alone will probably double their current amount, since it's actually something SF fans wanted. I'd say right now they have the funds to finish off 2014 with their current titles, although if they have a few big projects kept secret right now thatd run out much quicker.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top