Capcom is nearly broke

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Capcom is nearly broke

Post by shikiyakumo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm

http://gaminrealm.com/2013/09/10/capcom-152-mil-bank/

Yep. Only $152 mill in the bank. Monster Hunter 4 should keep them alive for a while but it definitely isn't enough to save them from the look of things.

So which companies get their IPs? lol Nintendo, or Comcept/Keiji Inafune's company, would probably get Rock Man
shikiyakumo
LANDMASTER!
LANDMASTER!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Capcom is nearly broke

Post by Count Mario on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll just say one thing. I hope that this doesn't impact Tekken X Street Fighter's development. Besides that, I don't give a damn about Capcom as long as their franchises end up in good hands, assuming that they could go bankrupt. But I'll just wait for DP or lpool to show up and proclaim a bunch of evidence and backed-up speculation about what's most likely to happen, before I make judgement.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 pm

I wonder when the Auction is.  Sony, buy Monster Hunter. >:)
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shikiyakumo on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 pm

Count Mario wrote:I'll just say one thing. I hope that this doesn't impact Tekken X Street Fighter's development. Besides that, I don't give a damn about Capcom as long as their franchises end up in good hands, assuming that they could go bankrupt. But I'll just wait for DP or lpool to show up and proclaim a bunch of evidence and backed-up speculation about what's most likely to happen, before I make judgement.
I see Namco getting Street Fight honestly. So Tekken X Street Fighter would probably be fine.

Platinum would probably end up getting three specific franchises. LolKamiya.
shikiyakumo
LANDMASTER!
LANDMASTER!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Count Mario wrote:I'll just say one thing. I hope that this doesn't impact Tekken X Street Fighter's development. Besides that, I don't give a damn about Capcom as long as their franchises end up in good hands, assuming that they could go bankrupt. But I'll just wait for DP or lpool to show up and proclaim a bunch of evidence and backed-up speculation about what's most likely to happen, before I make judgement.
I don't go by what they say, because their evidence is usually slightly off mark and based entirely on opinion.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Mario on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

But they usually have enough evidence to back themselves up and more of ten than not, are able to convince me. So forgive me for relying on them when it comes to this situation.
Count Mario
Staff
Staff

PSN : CountMario

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm

I guess, and it's fine.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaosdreams on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Count Mario wrote:But they usually have enough evidence to back themselves up and more of ten than not, are able to convince me. So forgive me for relying on them when it comes to this situation.
I just cross my arms, close my eyes and dream of pretty things. Then if interest kicks in, I venture into the digital land of knowledge, and false knowledge. Only to come to the conclusion that I, Chaosdreams, want a nice cold glass of beer.

Or root beer, whichever.
Chaosdreams
Staff
Staff

PSN : Chaosdreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:I wonder when the Auction is.  Sony, buy Monster Hunter. >:)
As much as i hate to say it, i feel like nintendo would beat them to the punch.  I would be ecstatic if sony bought monster hunter though.  I want Monster Hunter on ps4!!!!!!!!!
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:39 am

Same here.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 am

No evidence this time....I actually dunno how I feel about this. One thing is for certain. Namco wouldn't get SF. I don't know who would though. But a 3d fighter company may want access to the characters they would not want to have to build a 2d fighting game. I can actually see Sony getting it as an answer to KI. And platinum will be the sole bidder for Okami

I'd say mvc is fucked though lol.

That said MH4 will keep em afloat for a while.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:56 am

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/10/4714584/capcom-2013-financial-results-sees-revenue-climb-despite-poor-game
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/capcom-games-sell-well-but-miss-targets
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/09/10/capcom-predicts-severe-contraction-packaged-goods-market#.UjGa11nD8m8

The money in the bank means little for Capcom right now. SFIVU is going to explode. DR3 hits soon, Deep Down will have funding to hit launch. Lost Planet 3, RE Revelations, and MH4 are all on the way. Expect near-record 2014 numbers.

This type of thing happens to them any time you don't see big releases. Look at their fiscal history. Not to mention this has been the single greatest year gaming has ever had. As much as I'd like to see Capcom die, it won't happen soon. Unless somehow EVERYTHING fails next year too. With DR3 (currently) exclusive to the Bone, I expect it to get good numbers there before a PS4 port is announced for 2015.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonfire111 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:55 pm

capcom is the next thq the only question is when
and if they do die nintendo or keji need to get megaman
and platinum needs to buy DMC, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami
dragonfire111
King of Dreamland
King of Dreamland

PSN : dragonfire111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Neß on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Make them go broke soon, and have Nintendo buy Ace Attorney.
It isn't too late to add Phoenix Wright to Smash 4

OK that's kind of pushing it
Neß
Death To All
Death To All

PSN : PSIHeroNess (I never actually play online though.)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by this_is_marko on Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I totally forgot they owned viewtiful joe.  Whoever ends up buying him better make Viewtiful Joe 3!  I've been waiting for too long for the ending!
this_is_marko
Lombax
Lombax

PSN : this_is_Marko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm

I love how as soon as news that Capcom is losing money comes out, everybody starts saying what they want other companies to buy from Capcom... lol
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Yeah lol. Still given the stranglehold they have on the fgc they will be fine.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:52 pm

No chance SFIVU doesn't single-handedly "save" them. DR3 and other games help but that alone could do it.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I actually see Sony getting Resident Evil and Devil May Cry if they do actually go out of business.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 am

Based on DmC's sales, that series won't get touched. Not to mention these kinds of things never go the way we expect; a lot of us tried with THQ and most of the internet was entirely wrong.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 am

Which would make perfect sense for Sony to get DMC because Dante was in All-Stars. And, Resident Evil just seems like it's a given that they'll get it. As for THQ, their death was inevitable and should have came to no surprise really. THQ was losing money every year for the past couple of years.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:05 am

Why is RE given? Because you want them to get it? Last I checked the latest RE was just recently getting ported to consoles from the 3DS. Let's face it: There is no "given" in IP sales nowadays. Do you know who Koch Games is? No? They're the ones who bought Saint's Row. Not Ubisoft, like many exoected. Some unknown company. And Nordic bought Darksiders, what most people expected to go to Sony. Hell, Darksiders, THQ's biggest upside franchise, didn't even get sold for a while! The only expected result was Crytek getting Homefront, because they were making Homefront 2.

If Capcom went under, Sony wouldn't touch any franchise most likely because Microsoft would block it. Or Nintendo, in MH's case. Same goes for MS with DR. It's very likely some unknown developer/publisher like Nordic or Deep Silver gets most of the stuff, because the big names aren't actually inclined to spend much on franchises that didn't help a company out of bankruptcy. It makes sense since no company is really excelling to the point of taking fiscal risks in this recession. Maybe in 2003, like when that little company nobody had really heard of, Bethesda, bought that little Fallout thing. Or when that unknown company known as Take-Two got something called GTA. The big companies of today tend to start out by buying out these kinds of franchises (albeit the latter example wasn't directly due to a bankruptcy). You rarely actually see the big dogs buying the big games. The only notable exception is when MS bought Rare. And that didn't turn out well regardless of who you wanna blame.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:24 am

I said it's a given because, usually when there's a main game released in the series.  It usually finds its highest sales on PlayStation hardware.  As of now, for every numbered title in the Resident Evil series has sold the best on PlayStation.

RE: PSOne - 5.05million, NGC - 1.42million units(REMake)
RE2: PSOne - 5.82million units, N65 - 0.56million units
RE3: PSOne - 3.72million units, NGC - 0.08million units
RE4: PS2 - 3.62million units, NGC - 1.69million units
RE5: PS3 - 4.88million units, X360 - 3.33million units
RE6: PS3 - 2.54million unites, X360 - 1.62million units

Given the track record Sony is likely to throw as much money at it as they have to.  It would definitely be in their best interest to do what it takes to pick up the Resident Evil franchise.  Then, we all know what would happen if Microsoft got it.  Resident Evil would stay the Action game it is now and every will forget all about it just like what happened to, Banjo Kazooie and the rest of Rare's games.  Other then that, I say it's a given because it would be a major money maker for Sony.  Chances are Sony is likely to do Resident Evil right as long as they hand it off to the Sony Japan Studio.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:13 am

Nah for whatever reason console makers don't get involved with ips. They would just try to court whoever buys it rather than buying it themselves. Which is a better strategy short term which is all sony should care about. For now.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:17 am

With a franchise like, Resident Evil you have to think about the long term because the long term is far more beneficial.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top