Rise of the PlayStation Vita?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rise of the PlayStation Vita?

Post by BigBox on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:56 pm

As of now, the PlayStation Vita TV pre-orders have sold out in Japan in less than a week of it's announcement.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rise of the PlayStation Vita?

Post by Fabsta1994 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:51 pm

Booyakasha! Vita's startin' to earn it's stripes.
Fabsta1994
Kitty Got Wet!
Kitty Got Wet!

PSN : fabsta1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 pm

The Wii U also sold out its preorders quickly, so don't jump the gun. We have no idea how many pre-orders Sony allotted the TVita, so it could just as likely mean nothing. If we're looking at big numbers, then frankly I'd be surprised since Japan is a big consumer of the handheld market specifically because they can play here and there, in quick bursts.

Then again, the Vita never was really considered a handheld since its games take more investment than what we normally call "portable," so maybe Japan wanted an easy way to play the pseudo-console games the Vita provides. I mean, it'd still bomb Stateside, but Sony may have pulled some good consumer feedback from Japan.
DP
Staff
Staff

PSN : DivinePaladin27

View user profile http://GamingNewsHub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 am

I wouldn't compare this to the Wii U because the the price points are very different. As for the Vita, it's highly desired but people don't like the price point and aren't all that interested in portable gaming, or already own a 3DS. Other then that, people really want to play those Vita games but don't want to buy a Vita. The PS Vita TV gives them the Vita they want, kind of because you can't play games that utilizes the touch screen. The only down side to the Vita TV is that now devs might ignore the touch pad features of the Vita.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:28 am

Rise of vita? I dunno. Its solid hardware without software. I wanna play gravity rush and golden abyss as much as the next guy but no killer apps exist for vita that make me say "need this". The vita is fucked this holiday cause Pokemon, that's a given even if the new model and vtv launches in Japan this year. The big boon will be ps4 streaming and that's why vtv is being preordered not vita. The Japanese want a ps4 in every room. Also in terms of future what's coming for vita? Nothing big nothing that pushes the system. Even mercenary isn't gonna cut it. 3ds...we know what were getting pretty much for its cycle and it can probably survive with people playing catch up on all the titles they missed. Like Wii u I see a future for vita just not as bright.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:41 am

VTV will still most likely count towards Vita sales since it still is a Vita system, but made in the form of a small console. And, the Vita has more than just Gravity Rush and Golden Abyss.

- Golden Abyss
- Gravity Rush
- Killzone Merc.
- Escape Plan
- Unit 13
- Persona 4 Golden
- Soul Sacrfice

Pokemon most likely won't be a major problem for the Vita TV as the system is only coming in Japan right now. Even though we don't know exact numbers of pre-order units for the Vita TV. I think it's the same as the PS Vita which was 500,000 units. Which if it is that, then Vita TV is doing really good and that definitely means the Vita is far more desired than any Nintendo handheld ever was.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:36 am

But you're assuming. Sony isn't going to release the TVita with half a million launch boxes in Japan alone. The Vita pre-orders were IIRC a worldwide half-million, not just in Japan. Not to mention Japan is the only place with a desire for the Vita; the west laughs at it, unless you're one of the bitter few that own it and wish it had games besides, ohmygod!, six.

Come on, even you can't gloss over this and claim it means big things for the Vita. The industry doesn't work like that. You don't ground a handheld into a console and make the handheld thrive as a result. It's still behind somewhere to the tune of 20-30 million boxes, and even Sony has all but given up on it as a dedicated piece of hardware. It's a supplementary device, which as someone who wanted it to do well is saddening. I still really want one but I need to see some games. Even Cross-Buy seems to be dropping at this point, and that was one of the main reasons I want to get it despite the lack of interesting games.

Right now it needs to have better marketing, real backing by Sony, and a wider variety of games because right now it mostly appeals to a certain kind of gamer. Also for God's sake license Outernauts; it's the closest thing they could get to Pokemon (although as a fan of the former game maybe that's just a wish of mine).
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:21 am

Actually, something like the PS Vita TV is something the Western market wanted more than the Japanese market.  If anything you think the Japanese would be turned off to the idea because the handheld market thrives over there.  As, to over here the console market thrives.  This is something that will do well in the west because that's what Western gamers want since I know a LOT of people that don't like handheld gaming but want to play handheld games.  In this case I would kindly disagree with anyone that says, "it'll flop in the West" since majority of the West is already excited for it.  With this device already being considered better than things such as the, GameBoy Player for the Nintendo GameCube.  You and Lpool tend to underestimate the power of, PlayStation though.  Never do that, a Nintendo CEO did that and cost him job.  Don't end up like that guy.  Also, 500,000 units for this is a fair number considering it cost less than an actual Vita to produce.  And, Sony didn't sale out of Vitas in Japan on release day, but they sold a stron 400,000 plus on release day which was almost the units they shipped in Japan.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am

I used to be similar to you, overestimating them. But I backed my belief that the Vita would be successful by now until a few months ago, and I cant keep backing a wrong belief for two years.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:44 am

This is gonna confuse the hell out of me, knowing that the new Vita is VTV, which is a class I take...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:37 am

I'm realistic. This is a company that made the most successful console of all time 2 gens ago and trailed in last this gen until 6 months ago. In all fairness to Nintendo their problem now is bad marketing. Sony's was bad planning and the things they did with ps3 match the psv problems to a tee. And the vita is a dying market too.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:01 pm

That has a lot to do with the fact that handheld gaming had died for the most part in favor of boring smart phone games. Making the Vita a stationary system was the best thing that, Sony could have done for it right now. Which so far it is, because there's been nothing but love for the PS Vita TV. While you're being realistic, you're being unrealistic about Sony in 2013 and constant bring up reminders of Sony in 2006.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

sony in 2013 have been pretty good..........with the ps4. their vita stuff is still awful. vita tv is a similar problem. those handheld games getting upscaled to shit. you though Gravity Rush looked good. not when it has more pixels than the original Tetris. 

and no there isn't as much love for PSV tv as you say. there is love for Ps4/V streaming Features. thats it. making the vita a stationary system is a terrible idea, so they are marketing it as a streaming box. just like ps4 and X1 are virtually identical so they market as a games machine and the x1 as a media hub. 

ok i'm off my point again. point is Vita is not Rising or shit like that at least not as a games machine in and of itself, that ship has sailed. its now a peripheral to ps4 and thats it.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Then I guess you'll just have to wait and see.  Until then, I recommend changing your signature to make that argument more convincing.  Especially since the hype is there for, PSVTV.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 pm

you do know sony is my favourite dev right? pokemon is pretty much the only nintendo game i do like. its just i can see flaws in pretty much everything each one of the 3 are doing. 

and no it really isn't. not the scale you say it is. its admittedly the best Gameboy Microesque gadget but it IS a gameboy micro esque gadget. one that completely changes the platform.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 pm

I know who your favorite developer is, but I'm just talking for other people that may stumble upon the forum that it looks different to them since they wouldn't know.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DP on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Even then I expect Xperia support for many PS4 apps, making the Vita obsolete in most aspects besides actual game streaming on PS4.

The TVita IS smart marketing, I'm not denying that. I just don't think marketing can take them too far at this point unless the TVita helps push software sales enough to get third parties back on board. Then again, I also thought the PSPGo was smart marketing back in 2010 and look how that ended up. (Speaking of which, if TVita is download only that's a big issue to me. Unless it has an expandable HDD.) And I also thought Sony was smart to start pushing 3DTVs early, although that ended up being the leading cause of fiscal insecurity for the company since 2010.

My (accidental) point is that Sony jumps the gun a lot when it comes to market research. They don't fully think many ideas through and end up with steaming turds like PlayStation Mobile, the Go, PlayStation Home, the PSX, and Jak II. At the same time, they also jumped the gun on CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray, which ended up becoming standards solely because of them, so it's not always negative. I guess what I'm trying to say overall is that this is classic Sony; what that means is 50/50. I don't see it working out in the Vita's favor this time, at least not when gaming is concerned.
DP
Staff
Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:00 pm

point i saw brought up..the vita tv is 100% sure to kill the ouya. if that was their goal good job sony.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top