Just finished Outlast - Questions, anyone?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Just finished Outlast - Questions, anyone?

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Wow, that ending pissed me off.

|:
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

PSN : BladeXTails

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Let me guess,
Spoiler:
you die
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Clearly 333 has broken the comments, is anyone seeing is profile in his signature?
I think you mean he's broken this entire page of comments... My god...
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

PSN : Pyro-hem

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Derp:
Yup
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Haven't even played and I already know how it ends and how it will play.
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Anaconda_Vice wrote:Haven't even played and I already know how it ends and how it will play.
Nope. 

Doesn't work that way.
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lpool1996moh on Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Says who? Given anacondas known interests I'd say he's played enough s/h to know. and blade pretty much echos what I heard. Its average as fuck.
lpool1996moh
All-Star
All-Star

PSN : lpool1996moh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Imo, I thought it was really silly how it sometimes used arrows to point where your supposed to go. It would have been better if you had a map rather than stinkin arrows or trails of blood. Even the slightly open doors become overused. It was pretty creepy and intense for a good portion of the game, but the last hour or so pretty much came out of the blue if you haven't read the documents or notes. And also the enemies are a wee bit derpy at times. Like the AI pathing(?). How some enemies wouldn't notice you at times if you hide right around the corner. And taking four hits to kill you from the average loony was sorta stupid. I'm pretty sure if you played this the second time, you could speed run it without using any form of stealth in most situations. You can outrun your enemies and even, I shit you not, you can run around in circles and EVEN catch up to the guy following you in circles. But that's not to say that the game itself is creepy as shit. As I said before, It just loses that magic from the final portion of the game. 

Enemy designs are pretty good even though there are only a few variations. Dialogue is pretty good too and even funny which is why I refer some enemies as deadpools. Like that one guy who called you silky and tried to rape you or the doctor. And it's sorta unsettling when you don't know who's not out there to kill you and who's docile and friendly. The two naked dudes are also alright. I just think they should have done something to make them a bit weirder though like giving them two testicles or something. The setting is really great though. I like how it forces you to go to places that you know will have something bad there.

But man that ending....:
When they drew the nano-machines (son!) card for the ghost.... My god why? I dunno, I just don't like how it transitions from a survival from crazy buff lunatics to futuristic ghosts. And all that running! Jeebus, gave me a headache. I don't mind the protagonist dying but, he died because a guy shot him. Not when he struggled back to his car and died on the spot. Not when he could have died when that ghost went into him. Nope. Some guy shot him as he got limps his way out. |: 

Sure he became the new host for the ghost and killed the military dudes who killed him but, ... so what? What was all that for? The Asylum is still haunted by a pissed off ghost, everyone inside the asylum in most likely dead after these events and nothing else is resolved.

Another minor complaint, I really hate the overuse of blood. EVERYTHING IS WRITTEN IN BLOOD. In the shiny new corridors, it is just littered with blood. I just wish it was kept clean to keep it eerily creepy and uncomforting. It just made me go, "yup, that guy died, and that guy died, and LOL LOOK AT ALL DAT BLOOD." Seriously though, what made all these people explode? the ghost? It didn't make you explode when it killed you. So what did? If it was the ghost, they could have done a better job displaying the method how the ghost killed it's victims.

I dunno, it went downhill for me at the final parts of the level. I feel it could have been presented better.

But overall, it's alright. It's nothing amazing or new. It's just good. I have nothing against it other than the stupid poopy ending.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Wait... They fucking did that? 

DONT READ THIS IT GIVES SHIT AWAY ABOUT LIFE, THE UNIVERSE, AND EVERYTHING! Unless you wanna see a random Jessica Nigri picture as well. If so, more power to ya...:

THEY USED NANOMACHINES TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING!? 

I knew nanomachines would take over. Mind control, gun control, ID control, specter control, WAR CONTROL. It's all a part of the system. We're all connected. We all fight. 

The Patriots are winning. We can't let them do such a thing...

Random pic of Nigri for those that clicked anyway:

derp
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 am

lpool1996moh wrote:Says who? Given anacondas known interests I'd say he's played enough s/h to know. and blade pretty much echos what I heard. Its average as fuck.
Horror games are of my interest too. And also, what reviews? LOL.

Most gave it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

And to Blade, I respect your opinion(s); but in my opinion, it was pretty damn scary! Mostly because it causes so much anxiety haha!
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigBox on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 am

It's a matter of opinion and preference, prefer in-depth gameplay with options. But, games like this usually end the same way so with that in mind that 90% are predictable just from trailers. I never hold high hopes for these games because they never turn out that good. :)
BigBox
Metal Gear Ray
Metal Gear Ray

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BladedgeX on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:33 am

Just like to note that I'm not all that big of a fan of the horror genre. I'd rather not touch anything that's consisted of dark corridors and monsters that rape you anally. And when I mean rape you anally, I mean one hit kill you.
BladedgeX
Staff
Staff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thirty3Three on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:45 am

Anaconda_Vice wrote:It's a matter of opinion and preference, prefer in-depth gameplay with options.  But, games like this usually end the same way so with that in mind that 90% are predictable just from trailers.  I never hold high hopes for these games because they never turn out that good. :)
Sweet! We're back to not arguing :D Yay!

(PS. I've been male PMSing the past few days... personal reasons LOL.)

but yeah dude! You should totes try it out when it arrives free for Plus :)
Thirty3Three
Subspace
Subspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro-Hem on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:22 am

What I want in a horror game is perfect balance and atmosphere, both of which are really hard to get if certain things are used incorrectly. 

Balance is simple to understand, but has lately been hard to get. Just don't have too much action or whatever you're mixing with the game and it should be fine. Get a good medium between. With that said, being completely powerless against whatever's after the player does make things more intense and scary, but sometimes for the wrong reason: I don't want to die. I mean, sure, you want the player scared of death, but you mostly want the fear of anything but death to build up to be more. When done wrong, this fear of death often just leads to frustration and Salt. Lot's and lot's of Salt. Outlast is ok when it comes to balancing mostly because it's just going the Pure Survival Horror route. The enemies aren't too frustrating to get by and when you're killed you know exactly why: Went the wrong way, enemy saw me hide, got out of hiding too early, etc. Running away makes you panic, which is good. Forces you to think quickly, which shouldn't be a problem unless you're dumber than a box of rocks... I do feel that the enemies are a little too predictable though. I could easily find areas where they would just reset and go back to their starting area and just about every corner without a light near it is the perfect place to hide. Wasn't a real need for the other hiding places other than to scare the bajezus out of you when you're found due to pure randomness or lateness to hide. 

Then we come to atmosphere... Atmosphere is anything combined together to make the player feel something. Music, lighting, sound effects, filters, etc. can drastically change how a person sees a game. If I were to add disco lights and some fast paced mario music to a chase, it wouldn't be scary at all... Atmosphere just so happens to be what Outlast falls in my mind for... Scary asylum... Ok. Creepy, sure... Dead bodies everywhere is a turn off, even for a sadist... A lot of the sound effects and sound scares at this point in time all seem the same for every single horror game, so not much there. Ambient music and/sounds are creepy at times. Meh. It's kinda weird when I end up feeling more uneasy playing a level in Killer Is Dead based on Alice In Wonderland just from the BGM than I do playing Outlast.

tl;dr
Fuck you. I'm tired. 

Outlast is at 7.9/10 in my book. It's pretty much there, but there isn't much new cool shit that it brings to the horror genre that would make me want to buy it. After playing it once, you're pretty much done, unless you're one of those story types that want to collect every file in the game, which you should do anyway. I'd give it an 8/10, but those arrows that come up to help you find your way are stupid. lol
Pyro-Hem
Pikmin
Pikmin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top